• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is ending PS3 console and peripheral support in Japan “We Sincerely Apologize To Customers Who are using this product” (VCG)

Barakov

Gold Member

Sony has announced that it is ending repair support for its last PS3 model in Japan. It will also end repair support for all PS3 peripherals.

In a tweet posted by PlayStation Japan’s account, the company wrote:

“Notice of Termination of After-Sales Service
Due to the depletion of parts inventory, we will no longer be able to provide after-sales service for the PlayStation®3 CECH-4300 series main unit and all PlayStation®3 peripherals on April 30, 2022 (Saturday). If you are considering applying for this service, please make your request as soon as possible!”

In a longer post on PlayStation Japan’s support site, the company said: “We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your continued patronage of our products.”

“After-sales service will be discontinued on Saturday, April 30, 2022 for the PlayStation®3 CECH-4300 series and all PS3 peripherals due to the exhaustion of parts inventory.

“Customers who wish to have after-sales service for the relevant model should apply for after-sales service through the online repair reception service or PlayStation Customer Support by Saturday, April 30, 2022, and by Saturday, May 7, 2022.

“Please send the product to arrive at the PlayStation Clinic. If you wish to send it directly to the PlayStation Clinic without prior application, please send it so that it arrives by Saturday, April 30, 2022.”

The post continued: “We will not be able to accept applications or arrivals after the day following the above deadline, so if you are considering applying for after-sales service, please request as soon as possible.

“Please note that repairs may not be possible before the end date due to the exhaustion of parts.

“We sincerely apologize to customers who are using this product and thank you for your understanding.”

The PlayStation 3 was originally launched in Japan on November 11, 2006. A slim model of the PlayStation 3 was released in September 2009, and a final revision known as the Super Slim was launched in October 2012.

This Super Slim model was the final PS3 model that Sony was supporting with its repair programme until this announcement.
So they finally apologized for it?

A little late but whatever.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Ps1-ps3 had better games overall compared to ps4, or even ps5.

The games these consoles had are phenomenal.

The ps5 will need to up those consoles, which the ps4 couldn't do it.
PS1 is my favorite console of all time and had so many amazing games though PS3 had a late start and if we look at both console timelines

PS5's 1st 2 years > PS3's 1st 2 years

Still remember picking up a 40GB Phat with MGS4 and MotorStorm when GotP launched freshman year at Uni. It was the first PlayStation I’d purchased with my own money and that was one awesome weekend. My roommates loved MotorStorm splits screen no end and GotP was an absolute treat as a fitting send off to the OG MGS trilogy.

I recall the unit itself being well crafted, like an expensive bit of high end AV equipment. I found the UI equal parts beautifully understated and infuriating which added to its quirky nature. It was the gen I switched over to Xbox primarily but I always enjoyed my time spent on the exclusives. Ran without issue for 8 years and bowed out gracefully near the launch of the PS4.

Was a mistep in so many ways but for me, it always the last Playstation of old school Sony. Ambitious. Bursting at the seams with cutting edge technology just because they could. It had a Memory Stick & CF reader, why? Ken asked why not!

*big boss salute*

Hobbygaming

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online by itself is better than PS5's 1st 2 years
No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Last genuine Sony console as far as I'm concerned before they went "blue-white" label.

The moment Sony completely cuts support from it, there is a hobby community ready to embrace it. Its going to be interesting to see what kind of custom modding and possible patches will be made down the line.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS3 is like going back in time it’s here in the headlines except it’s unfortunate news, the old days Sony was giving you tons of shooters, little big planet, socom, metal gear online, I remember those, Sony had the courage to challenge wii with ps eye toy move, I love PS3 and it set the tone for consoles today way back in 2006 it won that generation vs Xbox how do you keep the console out of the best of all time, games like god of war 3 rose up and shined, Microsoft fanboys were talking big and bad early and than Nintendo fanboys on the other said talking big with Mario galaxy and never had prestigious online gameplay, ps3 had anchors like kill zone, resistance. Its funny because ps4 made Xbox fanboys switch, when it’s all said and done ps3 will be considered a GOAT.
Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life

Hobbygaming

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online by itself is better than PS5's 1st 2 years
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
Returnal
Demon Souls
Spider-man MM
Ratchet and Clank
Gran Turismo 7
Valkyrie Elysium
Sifu
Sword and Fairy Together Forever
Stray
Little Devil Inside
Sackboy
Anno Mutationem
Astro's Playroom
Guilty Gear Strive
DNF Duel
The Pathless
Lost Epic
F.I.S.T

This is close to every game for the PS5's 1st 2 years. PS5 has a better 2 year start than every PlayStation console not named PS2

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I still have mine, but I'm thinking about buying a PS3 with BC. Between that and PS5, I'd have the entirety of PlayStation pretty much covered.

Revenge Of The Sith Power GIF by Star Wars

I had tons of fun with the PS3 back in the day before going full PC.
Still have 20-25 physical games with a few exclusives I never played (Infamous 1 & 2, Siren Blood Curse, Uncharted 3), found a Slim 120GB complete in box for 60€ so I didn't think twice.
Love that console.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
Returnal
Demon Souls
Spider-man MM
Ratchet and Clank
Gran Turismo 7
Valkyrie Elysium
Sifu
Sword and Fairy Together Forever
Stray
Little Devil Inside
Sackboy
Anno Mutationem
Astro's Playroom
Guilty Gear Strive
DNF Duel
The Pathless
Lost Epic
F.I.S.T

This is close to every game for the PS5's 1st 2 years. PS5 has a better 2 year start than every PlayStation console not named PS2

Thats a list not an impressive one but a list indeed

Guilty Gear and Demon Souls are the only games I care about on it

Like I said I'd legit take Tekken 5 DR Online over all that

PS5 having a better 2 years than PSX is madness 1995-1997 gaming was on another level man

Last edited:

Drew1440

This is it...the end....PS3 was the last sony home console that truly catered to the JP market
Wasn't that the PSP? PS3 era lost a lot of Japanese support.

Still one of Sony's best consoles, best UI, sleek design and full backwards compatibility with the earlier models. It's a shame those early models have a high fail rate.

Hobbygaming

Thats a list not an impressive one but a list indeed

Guilty Gear and Demon Souls are the only games I care about on it

Like I said I'd legit take Tekken 5 DR Online over all that

PS5 having a better 2 years than PSX is madness 1995-1997 gaming was on another level man
Craziness lol I'll give you PS1 and PS2 but PS5 is next in the ranking when rating the 1st two years

Top Bottom