• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Sony Is Going To Hate Me" - PlayStation 5 Dev Kit

just_jr

Sony:

who.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it looks so cool.
Weird question - are devkits the only piece of kit (pc/console/hybrid maybe) for devs to work on the game?
Or do they still just make everything on pc and this is just a console with debug mode to test compiled stuff ?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Why are they going to hate you?

Ooooh, I get it. Going with the Scotty Kilmer (car guys know him) clickbait titles.

I was thinking more along the lines of how negative Sony has been in the past when people get the dev kits and then take them apart. Even when they are a gen old, the YT people typically say they get negative responses.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was thinking more along the lines of how negative Sony has been in the past when people get the dev kits and then take them apart. Even when they are a gen old, the YT people typically say they get negative responses.
But he didn't take it apart at all. Just showed it off, lol.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I prefer it to the retail, no stand required.
Can sony do anything legally? About this?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So this is NOT USING ps4 UI like many peopl said in gta 5 leaks thread.
We can see ps4 ui in gta 5 leaked videos and people say "ps5 devkit ui looks the same, so it does not mean the game is made for ps4"... well...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So this is NOT USING ps4 UI like many peopl said in gta 5 leaks thread.
We can see ps4 ui in gta 5 leaked videos and people say "ps5 devkit ui looks the same, so it does not mean the game is made for ps4"... well...
You mean GTA6? I know, confusing since it looks the damned same.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I wonder if Sony is going to let this guy go through with the disassembly, now that he told the world he has one and intends to show the devkit's confidential interior for everyone to see.

Doomtrain

it looks so cool.
Weird question - are devkits the only piece of kit (pc/console/hybrid maybe) for devs to work on the game?
Or do they still just make everything on pc and this is just a console with debug mode to test compiled stuff ?
You still need a PC. The dev kit is basically just an alternate version of the console hardware with some extra debugging tools built in, which you then connect to a PC to push builds of your game onto.

ParaSeoul

This is like when Linus or Austin,can't remember who,was acting like getting PS3 dev kit was some super secret illegal thing and that was fairly recently.

JeloSWE

IIRC from my time working on a game for the first XBOX. Art and programming is done on PC, then you upload the compiled game and art on the console and test it. I suppose often times on can run the game fully on the PC but one does a lot of work in various programs without seeing it rendered in real-time through the ingame render engine. The console is mostly used to make sure things are looking and running properly on the target hardware.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you actually NEED a dev kit to make a PS5 game? Those people pushing out mountains of trophy trash, they have dev kits? All indie devs have dev kits?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks better than the finished product to me. LOL
The dev kit is bigger than it looks, but I thought it was a cool design too. They probably could had shrunk it down a bit too if they went with it for final production since they got all kinds of ports and lights on it which you dont need in the retail version. It even had a tiny LCD screen obviously not needed either.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The dev kit is bigger than it looks, but I thought it was a cool design too. They probably could had shrunk it down a bit too if they went with it for final production since they got all kinds of ports and lights on it which you dont need in the retail version.

Being serious, I'm sure the retail design is a lot quieter than the dev box, that sucker just looks loud, and that's why they went the other way. It's just too bad they went back to the old PS3 fat technique of make it rounded and maybe no one will notice the size. A more normal look with no stand would have been better IMO.

Roxkis_ii

I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you guys saying the dev kit looks better then the retail console are wild.

The regular ps5 is big af, but at least they tried to make it look sleek. The dev kit looks a monstrosity! So thankful retail doesn't look anything close.

GOD DANMIT! Look at that background screen at 8:15! That's how I wish my PS5's home screen looked instead of being covered with shit!

Top Bottom