• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is hiring Senior Director for PC Planning and Strategy

BigBooper

They wouldn't need this position if they were planning on just continuing the pc ports on Steam, would they? Probably going to have their own store and launcher and integrate PSNow for pc into it.

They wouldn't need this position if they were planning on just continuing the pc ports on Steam, would they? Probably going to have their own store and launcher and integrate PSNow for pc into it.
Do you think poor Sony would be able to achieve this?

Not even your triple trillion-dollar company (which made the very own platform) was able to do it....3 times.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can you please add VRR or ps3 emulation to ps5 first?

2617b44285efaf45e59e720cacab76d4.jpg

Hezekiah

Banned
Release ports after 6-12 months. I’ll take my six figure salary and stock options Sony thanks
They should get a launcher, but I reckon it will be 12 - 24 months. Even now they're taking their time, and only doing old games.

It won't be their priority which is fair enough, but an extra revenue stream on the side.

yurinka

"future sectors & partnerships for commercial growth"
"other global commercial partners (e.g. Genba, Epic, Steam)"

Can’t see them following microsoft down this path without making sure they can recoup even more money with pc releases. Wouldn’t be surprised if they even do sony pc store exclusives like Epics been doing. They probably could have made a ton of money from God of War and Horizon had they not had to break Steam/Epic off their 30%
This makes me think they will continue without their own store, or that they don't plan to buy Valve, Epic or CD Project. Or at least that they will continue publishing their PC ports on multiple stores and that won't go exclusive with any of them.

I think that in the long term Sony will end having their own PC PSN store/launcher to save the 30%, but won't do it for a while because they only have a few games now.

Day 1 PC releases are coming fellas. Prepare yourselves.
Maybe for some F2P or for some remaster, but I don't see it for brand new games.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Maybe for some F2P or for some remaster, but I don't see it for brand new games.
Sony doesn't really profit on hardware and with ongoing supply shortages they can't move 20 million units of games like they did with God of War 2018 unless they stay cross gen even longer. They aren't making investment in PC just to port 4 year old games.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony doesn't really profit on hardware and with ongoing supply shortages they can't move 20 million units of games like they did with God of War 2018 unless they stay cross gen even longer. They aren't making investment in PC just to port 4 year old games.

I think Sony is going to try and achieve a balance as they would obviously rather sell their games and keep 100% of the revenue via PS rather than share 30% with Valve. For that reason, my gut says there may be some first party day one games on PC, but most will be months later. Personally, I don't have a problem with day one on PC at all.

Last edited:
I think Sony is going to try and achieve a balance as they would obviously rather sell their games and keep 100% of the revenue via PS rather than share 30% with Valve. For that reason, my gut says there may be some first party day one games on PC, but most will be months later. Personally, I don't have a problem with day one on PC at all.

Sony also makes a good amount of money from people buying 3rd party games on their console storefront. It doesnt make sense to lead those buyers away to other storefronts

skit_data

Makes sense, they don’t seem to have a clear strategy att all right now tbh. Seems more like they go by a case to case basis, which has it’s benefits but also quite a few drawbacks.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i was wondering...assuming PS5 is not in short supply..will Sony do this?

Does Sony really interested to enter the PC market, or just because they dont have enough console to sell and they try to sell their games to a broader market?

i was wondering...assuming PS5 is not in short supply..will Sony do this?

Does Sony really interested to enter the PC market, or just because they dont have enough console to sell and they try to sell their games to a broader market?

They were always gonna do it once they got the numbers for death stranding and horizon last gen.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sony just invested a billion dollars in Epic Games who takes a much lower cut on PC distribution. I wouldn't be so sure they're planning their long term PC strategy around Steam.

PhaseJump

Banned
I think a ton of gamers would eat up stuff like Everybody's Golf, The Last Guardian, or Gravity Rush if they ever got ported.

It could be a situation like Sega's Valkyria Chronicles, where an old game that was disappointing in original sales found it's real success later on PC.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony just invested a billion dollars in Epic Games who takes a much lower cut on PC distribution. I wouldn't be so sure they're planning their long term PC strategy around Steam.

I wouldn't be so sure that investment has anything to do with the Epic Game Store at all.

SSfox

Kinda sad to see Hermen and Jim following MS steps.

PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC.... But yet no PS5 full BC, fucking dumbs and morons at Sony...

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony profits from console hardware (not during the first months) and accesories too. Directly (profit they get from selling them) and indirectly (for the games and services sold for them, specially the 3rd party ones).

Most of their revenue comes from 3rd party games sold for their consoles. So without a lot of consoles sold they wouldn't sell all these 3rd party games.

Sales of their 1st party games is a small part of their business. And inside them, PC sales are a small part of them. Hardware sales are ok, until they got severy impacted by the chips shortages they were breaking gaming history records, and the demand is there. Once they get rid of these shortages will continue to sell at a great pace.

Yes, they made the investement to port several years old games. They even bought a studio who will be doing this to make sure their main gamedev teams don't need to worry about pc. To port 4 or 6 games per year to PC will be good for them. Ports are cheap and so far seems something pretty profitable.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I rather have my PC have that connection with my PlayStation account to be honest. So anything I buy on PlayStation I could play on PlayStation Console or PC along with all my friends.
They could still add that without adding a launcher, but fair enough.

Fahdis

That's really such a console war way of looking at it though. As adamsapple adamsapple said, this is about money. Sony didn't put their games on PC to compete with Microsoft any more than MS did it to compete with Sony. It is all about maximizing revenue received from these games that they are investing a shit-ton of money in.

The faster people get out of the moronic console war space, the better.

reksveks

I thinks it's the obvious move for them to bring out a launcher as well as support the third party store.

I don't think they will bring out playanywhere sadly especially for old first party games.

On issue about console storefront sales, the idea would be the pc launcher is just as successful as the 'lost' revenue from the console one. I think it could be but the issue is that I don't believe that the 30% rev cut would continue to exist.

Last edited:
Do you think poor Sony would be able to achieve this?

Not even your triple trillion-dollar company (which made the very own platform) was able to do it....3 times.

Well, GOG managed to and they're worth a fraction of Sony and Nintendo who are worth a fraction of Microsoft.

This makes me think they will continue without their own store, or that they don't plan to buy Valve, Epic or CD Project. Or at least that they will continue publishing their PC ports on multiple stores and that won't go exclusive with any of them.

I think that in the long term Sony will end having their own PC PSN store/launcher to save the 30%, but won't do it for a while because they only have a few games now.

TBH I don't think they'd need to buy either of those companies (and for various reasons, couldn't buy Valve without probably having it ruled as anti-competitive), just a partnership.

While their latest investments in Epic probably aren't specifically tied to EGS, I wouldn't be surprised if that is at least a factor into the investments. Epic already only take 12% of the cut; maybe they reduce that to 10% with Sony's games, and Sony might look to publish certain 3P games on PC or co-publish PC versions of certain 3P games.

Or possibly Epic waives their cut for Sony's games altogether but they work on integrating PS+ features and compatibility into EGS, and tie subscription perks into EGS to match PS+ ones (current and forthcoming). That would also incentivize more 3P publishers to bring their releases to EGS as the favored storefront. I wouldn't expect them or Sony to stop bringing their games to Steam, just that there could be benefits like the aforementioned and maybe some others (like a 10% discount) for buying them on EGS vs. Steam.

It's an interesting possibility but it's probably a decent ways out before seeing if there's any movement towards it.

Sony also makes a good amount of money from people buying 3rd party games on their console storefront. It doesnt make sense to lead those buyers away to other storefronts

Glad someone mentioned it; this is probably why their plans might just be mainly for the live-service games on PC. Especially for Day-and-Date, it makes sense for most of those to be on PC because it's best for playerbase parity. If the playerbase has parity (in terms of time to learn the game) then they're more likely to be invested to also buy content in the game over time.

Plus, PlayStation's brand image in terms of exclusives that are drivers for console sales and image isn't based on live-service games. Stuff like TLOU2 Factions I can easily see Day 1 on PS5 & PC. But the single-player games, no not for a while. Seems like Sony's plan is to use the recurring revenue from live-service proliferation on PlayStation & PC platforms to offset development & marketing costs of the AAA single-player games, and then bring those to PC maybe a year or so after release (though it could be longer).

I'm curious what bringing all of their 1P games to PC Day 1 would do in terms of affecting console sales and, potentially, revenue from 3P sales and MTX/DLC on the console. But I'm sure it would depreciate that to some degree, and I don't think Sony are going to ever consider Day 1 or any severely shortened window between PS & PC releases until or unless they can gauge the revenue from a couple of the live-service games they use as tests on both platforms. If those can show enough revenue to offset projected losses in 3P revenue and hardware sales revenue (and potentially subscription revenue too), then they'll be more open to the idea. If they can't, they won't.

Also they have to consider how that possible side-effect (depreciation of 3P sales from less consoles due to doing Day 1 for PS & PC for all games) impacts their 3P partners; if they can't ensure enough of the PS playerbase that'd buy their game on PS, moves over to doing so on PC, then they potentially lose out on customers as well, and that puts a strain on Sony's relationship with those publishers. So it's more than just Sony having to look out for their own interests; they're kind of responsible for making sure their 3P partners also make out of that situation with net positives, too, or it costs Sony.

I wouldn't be so sure that investment has anything to do with the Epic Game Store at all.

Not specifically, no. But it might be a factor into influencing the rounds of investments they've done into Epic. But yeah I do think stuff like UE5 usage in film/television/games, Fortnite etc. are bigger reasons for those investments.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At some point, Sony is going to unleash a shit load of PC ports. Right now there's only a handful that sporadically come out every 6 or 9 months or whatever. And the Uncharted 4 port is coming out in 2022 too at some point.

There is no way Sony bought Nixxes, hiring PC Director roles and doing PPT slides promoting PC gaming if their plan is just to continue doing 3 year old ports every 9 months kind of thing.

If Sony's future plan was to do that, they wouldnt even need Nixxes or all these new PC people. They'd just keep porting it how they do now with existing teams.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I’ve been on Gaf for a few years and I think I have a lot of good ideas. But this is a big job for me. Any other Gaffers want to apply together as a team?

Well, GOG managed to and they're worth a fraction of Sony and Nintendo who are worth a fraction of Microsoft.
GOG?. If you would have said STEAM I would take your point.....But GOG? GOG is not even a player in the space.

Even with that said...If you think Sony would be happy to enter in the PC space as a store front....and have GOGs numbers.....that would be considered as massive failure.

Top Bottom