• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is hiring Senior Director for PC Planning and Strategy

Shmunter

do you see where the short circuit comes from? Probably in your opinion Flight Simulator, Forza horizon, Halo and all the rest are not High quality product ... but you have to understand that it is objectively yours personal opinion. Maybe the games produced by Sony are more on your strings but they are certainly not all incredible productions nor that clearly separate them from the competition so much to say that if market models change, games will drop in quality.
What on earth are you on about??? Get some sleep and come back less cranky.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I think he is sneakily trying to say the word that rhymes with PameGass… edit: oh he bested me and went full on Xbox and GamePass in a Sony thread.
Sneaking Out Daffy Duck GIF by Looney Tunes

;).
na? I'm saying that the inuserable value proposition of sony games is almost always the result of the personal taste of the users and the skill of the devs and certainly not of the budget spent by the company. Halo graphically it is
not the last of us but very few games at Sony have the development budget.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
do you see where the short circuit comes from? Probably in your opinion Flight Simulator, Forza horizon, Halo and all the rest are not High quality product ... but you have to understand that it is objectively yours personal opinion. Maybe the games produced by Sony are more on your strings but they are certainly not all incredible productions nor that clearly separate them from the competition so much to say that if market models change, games will drop in quality.
If the market model change (on Xbox it has not yet nor on PC), game design will follow. Same as it did on mobile, same as content production changed when optimised for streaming subscriptions (strange how they are shifting to weekly updated padded series eh ;)? Even great series like Severance have tons of padding), etc…

na? I'm saying that the inuserable value proposition of sony games is almost always the result of the personal taste of the users and the skill of the devs and certainly not of the budget spent by the company. Halo not graphically it is the last of us but very few games at Sony have the development budget.

You guys give gamepass a bad name.

MonarchJT

Banned
What on earth are you on about??? Get some sleep and come back less cranky.
"Those titles exist and are funded by the concept of capturing the customer into an eco system however. Remove the eco system and risk the games no longer being quite the same."
or maybe you should explain better what you mean

Shmunter

"Those titles exist and are funded by the concept of capturing the customer into an eco system however. Remove the eco system and risk the games no longer being quite the same."
or maybe you should explain better what you mean
Maybe you shouldn’t reply if the most basic and fundamental business concepts are over your head?

Last edited:

reksveks

strange how they are shifting to weekly updated padded series eh ;)? Even great series like Severance have tons of padding
In comparison to?

I am struggling to see how you can say its a shift to being more padded weekly series, I don't think it really has changed. Partially cause TV hasn't really worked in a way where the end consumer is directly buying the product standalone.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Maybe you shouldn’t reply if the most basic and fundamental business concepts are over your head?
again personal opinion....maybe you should learn to not judge other person without knowing a single bit about them and do not overestimate yourself so much that you think presumptuously that your personal opinions are market models?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
na? I'm saying that the inuserable value proposition of sony games is almost always the result of the personal taste of the users and the skill of the devs and certainly not of the budget spent by the company. Halo not graphically it is the last of us but very few games at Sony have the development budget.
Under most metrics but your subjective taste Halo Infinite is not really the best example you could pick. SoT too, despite Rare saving that one… more and more games thrown against the wall incomplete, seeing what sticks and concentrating R&D on those that seems sticking is kind of a red flag (on Sony’s announced GaaS approach too).

Sony’s general SIE Studios approach delivers polished, high production values, single player (mostly) experiences that are designed to be enjoyed post the initial sale (not just monetised after the initial free download and not focused on quantity / steady stream of fresh new content to keep customers subbing). This is a void that not all devs fill.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In comparison to?

I am struggling to see how you can say its a shift to being more padded weekly series, I don't think it really has changed. Partially cause TV hasn't really worked in a way where the end consumer is directly buying the product standalone.
Netflix, Prime, Disney+ are slowly taking more and more revenue out of theatres: what do they produce? Series over series over series, more and more on the weekly download and not the full binge watchable series. Not sure how DVB / OTA broadcasting would be comparable, feels almost like another medium or another generation of it.

MonarchJT

Banned
Under most metrics but your subjective taste Halo Infinite is not really the best example you could pick. SoT too, despite Rare saving that one… more and more games thrown against the wall incomplete, seeing what sticks and concentrating R&D on those that seems sticking is kind of a red flag (on Sony’s announced GaaS approach too).

Sony’s general SIE Studios approach delivers polished, high production values, single player (mostly) experiences that are designed to be enjoyed post the initial sale (not just monetised after the initial free download and not focused on quantity / steady stream of fresh new content to keep customers subbing). This is a void that not all devs fill.
And with all this Sony, and not because I say, because if you are not blind you will understand it looking at their moves of the last year included this PC senior manager thing.....is preparing to change strategy....so probably is not exactly one way like the narrative that some wanna push no matter what. (narrative which will change "as the best ever" once Sony takes that path and they will be forced to defend)

Last edited:

reksveks

more and more on the weekly download and not the full binge watchable series
Disney realised the two key things there (which it isn't a surprise, cable companies basically didn't have to do this cause they signed you upto long term contracts and they had other things like sports that was inherently weekly), it keeps users retained longer yes and that it generates more free media. I don't think the shift to weekly drops is related to padding as I think you could have just as much of a padded tv show on Netflix.

Netflix, Prime, Disney+ are slowly taking more and more revenue out of theatres: what do they produce?
I don't know how you break out the multiple factors that have impacted box office revenue like general audience behaviour change to a more digital world and importantly covid. I would need to double check but box office was growing prior to the pandemic. Post pandemic, the issue has been that movie watchers only go out to watch big blockbuster experiences or horror films.

I also would argue that TV has just grown in popularity relative to general movie watching but there is an obvious chicken and egg situation here.

On the wider topic, GP will inherently affect gameplay design as would any distribution method. I don't know if you can summarise it as a simple as a pro/con or even say that games will get padded. Ultimately consumers will still be the deciders.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Sony has made their intention to move heavily into live service games clear and those titles absolutely need to be on PC day 1 if they want any chance of them being successful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom