• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is kinda lazy when it comes to naming their consoles

amigastar

I still have to think twice sometimes to recall what Xbox is the new one, XBox Series X or One. By now i know it but at the beginning it was kinda confusing.

Ar¢tos

Shut your whore mouth OP

I swear to god if they name the next console the PlayStation Euphoria or some other dumb ass time encapsulated catch phase that won’t age well breaking their consistency in naming I’m going to track you down and Taken your ass like I’m Liam Nieson terrible old man limp running and all
Playstation Ultimate Orgasm would sell like crazy.

Buggy Loop

Confused Channel 5 GIF by All Creatures Great And Small

Like their games, hand holding, white/yellow painting jump-climb ledges and have the character chat all the time to help the player. Even someone near brain dead after an accident could finish it.

They understand the audience

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity

No seriously, I wish Nintendo would name the next console switch 2, but for sure they’ll find another fucking name

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Xbox , Xbox 360 , Xbox One , Xbox Series S/X
You forgot xbox one s, xbox one x, xbox scarlet (LE One x)

Making one s/x and series s/x is so stupid. I remember xbox one x sky rocketed on amazon because people found a cheap series x, or what try thought (which was a one x).

I prefer xbox over playstation, but their names doesn't make sense.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Atari 2600 , Atari 5200 , Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar

NES , Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 , Gamecube , Wii , Wii U , Switch

Sega Master System , Sega Genesis , Sega Saturn, Dreamcast

PlayStation , PlayStation 2 , PlayStation 3 , PlayStation 4 , PlayStation 5 and I have a feeling their next console will be PlayStation 6

Last edited:

hinch7

Its much better than remembering/recalling Xbox's names. Or some of Nintendo's names like the Wii/Wii U etc.

Easier to explain and talk to family and friends about new or current consoles than just saying new Xbox or Nintendo. At least there's a clear distinction between different generations as naming/numbers go.

Last edited:
And they are the most consistently successful platform out there so maybe there is something in simplicity.

Others have skirted around with naming conventions to varying levels of success, possibly to differentiate from the strong branding of PlayStation.

saintjules

I think they're fine with the naming convention. Saying PS6 though doesn't exactly roll off the tongue as good as the others.

Pssssssix

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

PlayStation , PlayStation 2 , PlayStation 3 , PlayStation 4 , PlayStation 5 and I have a feeling their next console will be PlayStation 6
From the top:

Dead

Fucked up coming from Wii because of the name, hundreds of millions of USD lost

Dead

Forever 3rd

Still market leader

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Last edited:

StueyDuck

They are the only logical ones when it comes to naming their systems. I'd argue the "pro" line is stupid because it adds confusion for those who don't understand the market who maybe want to buy in.

I think the Wii-U is the prime example of how stupid names can affect your product before they've even been properly released...

Also compare the one console where they got "inventive" with their name... the PS Vita and how fantastically it did, compared to say the playstation portable IE PSP

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It's consistent and they've been consistently successful. Why change it?

You avoid grandparents trying to figure out if the Nintendo Wizbang is a sex toy

Brucey

I kid you not my grownup cousin didn't know if he had a Xbox Series X or Series S when he needed me to fix it for him . He showed up with the Series S & I had to point out to him that the Series X is the black one with more power.
Per Microsoft us commoners "don't care about the technical details". They see it in the metrics... :)

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Isn't OP wrong regarding the XBOX names? One version was called Xbox One X, with the current gen Console being X BOX Series X and S.

Tommi84

You mistook 'lazy' with 'brilliant' and 'easy to follow'.

Now, go ask you average joe which system is better:

'Xbox one x' or 'xbox series x'

sainraja

I I was hoping at one point that, what Sony should do is what Apple was once planning on... which was to return to how they would name each iteration of the iPod (Gen 1, Gen 2). So you the current system by Sony would simply be 'PlayStation' but would be gen 5 and in marketing they still kinda can use PS5.

I am assuming Apple didn't go down this path (with the iPhone; I believe with the iPad they do this) because of the research they did and/or marketing reasons; perhaps they were afraid that it might confuse people.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, etc, makes way more sense than the pants-on-head Xbox, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X. Nintendo is all over the place with great names like Switch, Gamecube or GameBoy, but also absolute shit-tier names like WiiU or "New 3DS"

Saber

Gold Member
Why changing something so simple and that clearly works?

Ask a grow ass man or parent what would be more difficult, asking for a Wii U, a Xbox Series or just a Playstation with a bigger number.

Last edited:

onQ123

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, etc, makes way more sense than the pants-on-head Xbox, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X. Nintendo is all over the place with great names like Switch, Gamecube or GameBoy, but also absolute shit-tier names like WiiU or "New 3DS"
Everyone was waiting for the Wii HD Nintendo had a simple job to do release a Wii HD & they messed that up 😂

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It's a bad thing to do because consumers don't think you are trying to con and trick them with a misleading naming scheme. You lose their respect.
While I have no qualms with the numbers naming scheme, how is going a different direction an attempt to con or trick consumers? The smallest amount of effort from a potential consumer would remedy any confusion.

The number scheme does not change anything. If I asked my mother "what is the latest PlayStation?", she would have no idea if it was PS3, PS4, PS5, or PS6. The same amount of effort to distinguish those consoles, would also clarify what the latest Nintendo or MS console is.

Admittedly, there is one scenario where the numbered scheme has an advantage, and that is if you are looking at a PS4 and PS5 side by side. In saying that, implying that a product going with a different naming convention is an attempt to con or trick a consumer is, at minimum, a stretch IMO.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Bc their principal gaming brand is Nintendo. No one call the other consoles "Microsoft Xbox Series X" or "Sony PlayStation 5"
Actually the base name wasnt Nintendo Gameboy, or Nintendo Wii. They were both Gameboy and Wii. Of course there is Nintendo printed on the box, but the brand was not a Nintendo. Just as much as a Playstation is not a Sony Playstation.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
The moment they deviated from "boring" names, we got the PlayStation Vita, so, I say let's stick with what works.

Holammer

That's because PLAYSTATION is a good brand. Fantastic even. Xbox should have been a good brand too, but MS would have been one number behind the Playstation and an Xbox 2 would have looked inferior. That's a problem MS also wrestled with for other products. So they made their branding a confused mess.
Nintendo had a branding problem right off the bat with Famicom/NES. Adding 'Super' was a quick fix. IMO, they should name the next system NES-7. Right a historical wrong.

Last edited:

hinch7

People also forget the time Sony deviated from convential naming - from the fairly successful PSP to the PS Vita (awful name btw). And we all know how that went. Of course there were other factors (proprietary memory cards, lack of support and big exclusives) that also made the latter fail.

If we look at Nintendo handhelds, which usually sell well.. no matter the naming scheme. Sales do have a trend of dropping off without a clear distinction in names between generations. Gameboy>Gameboy Advance. DS>3DS.

As business goes you can't go wrong with the KISS principle when it comes to naming and selling a product. Sadly the same can't be said about Sony's other products, like their phones..

Last edited:
Actually original Atari was the same, before Tramiel, after 7800 probably would have been 10040.

Nec was also consistent, PC Engine, Super PC Engine, PC Engine CD, PC-FX.

Intellivision 1, Intellivision 2, Intellivision 3

3DO, 3DO M2

Many game console makers used safe names.

Heck, Commodore 15, 20, 45, 64, 65, 128,

Amiga 500, 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000

Many products in many industries use boring names for familiarity, to avoid unique backfiring.

But unique names can become trendy, catchy, or grab attention when done right, which may gain consumer interest even if it may seem cringe, corny or lol.

Example, Xbox One sounds stupid, but it didn't matter it got the console in the spotlight, people remembered it, selling tens of million of consoles,, it's short-cummings were in other areas.

Counter-example, Wii U, also sounds stupid, It did matter, mass confusion, for those not confused seemed like an insult or a joke that wasn't supposed to be taken seriously, didn't make people want to buy it, got strange looks, was one of the major reasons why the system failed to sell tens of millions of consoles.

While boring may not be sassy and get the same attention there's less risk like the Wii U. Most products usually use some sort of pattern with singular numbers or some consistent assortment of number and letters because it's safer.

Last edited:
Don’t mistake laziness for just knowing what the name should be and sticking with it. Clearly it works really well. And on the other hand, over-thinking a name with too many cooks in the kitchen results in terrible/ confusing names Xbox One and Wii U 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

sendit

Agreed. They should have named the Playstation 5, "Play Series 5 Switch Station S". No idea why Sony went with a straight forward approach over giving customers something to be confused about. Arrogant Sony is back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom