• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is kinda lazy when it comes to naming their consoles

Ornoku

It isn't the best. But at least it isn't near as bad as "New 3ds XL". Having parents go to the store buying something for their children being highly confused.

ZoukGalaxy

Not lazy, SMART. Simplicity is the key for the mass, always.
Nintendo finally got it, Microsoft is the today worst and Sony kept their logic

*remember*
wii u bowser GIF

Last edited:

aclar00

It works, plus i tecall MSFT wanted to do numbers, but didnt want consumers to think Playstation was superior give their numbers wpuld be a gen behind.

Xbox - PS2
Xbox 2 -PS3
Xbox - PS4

Naked Lunch

Its effective and to the point.
Easily understandable to those both familiar and not with the hobby.
Easy for kids to translate to parents: "buy me Playstation xyz".

nowhat

I am assuming Apple didn't go down this path (with the iPhone; I believe with the iPad they do this)
It was the third (I think? It's been a while) iPad that Apple simply called "the new iPad".

Which, for obvious reasons, didn't age well. And googling for it is practically impossible.

Atari 2600 , Atari 5200 , Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar

NES , Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 , Gamecube , Wii , Wii U , Switch

Sega Master System , Sega Genesis , Sega Saturn, Dreamcast

Xbox , Xbox 360 , Xbox One , Xbox Series S/X

PlayStation , PlayStation 2 , PlayStation 3 , PlayStation 4 , PlayStation 5 and I have a feeling their next console will be PlayStation 6
Bruhhh whattt. You really mentioned the Wii U like the fact that that name single
handily fucked it over. Xbox Series x/s is lame asl. Playstation the only console that counts with common sense, 1,2;3,4,5.

Mr.Phoenix

So you really would have preferred

PlayStation, PlayStation Mark 2, PlayStation cell, PlayStation Orbis, PlayStation Oberon...etc

Really???

I am sure both MS and Nintendo probably wish they had just kept the naming simple and classy

sainraja

It was the third (I think? It's been a while) iPad that Apple simply called "the new iPad".

Which, for obvious reasons, didn't age well. And googling for it is practically impossible.
Yeah, I think that is the one... they just call it the iPad, iPad Pro, etc., and you have to look for which generation it is to know if it is the latest. On their web site, they will just have a "New" label on it. But with iPhones, they have kept the numbering when I thought they were going to do the same.

Last edited:
Sony does it right by staying simple, consistent and making it easy to understand. Just the way it should be, IMO.
The one time where they didn't do this, was a huge failure...

PSP... PS Vita...

Reality they should have named it the PocketStation and re-used the name short of that it should have been PSP2.

What other devices have a sequential numbering system?

Oh yeah, the Apple iPhone... only the most popular consumer electronic device in the history of mankind. We good.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's easier for the parents that don't know shit about games but still want to buy the latest console for their children.

Imagine if your son asks you for the newest Xbox... good luck!

The amount they save on marketing and running into trouble with international naming conventions is pretty big. They have a product brand that people immediately understand and recognize.

I rather keep the name calling simple and consistent over what Microsoft does with their names. XBOX one, Xbox one s, one x, series s, series x, Xbox S.A.D., etc. Imo, that can be confusing for the average consumer. I remember one guy accidentally purchased an XBOX One X online because he thought it was the Series X.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
It is lazy, it is safe, and it is not interesting. But it works in their favor.

Like the iPhone, it will keep using numbers. PlayStation is like apple in the sense of brand establishment and premium positioning. That’s why they have a cult like fanbase.

Personally, I’d like to see what Sony would name their consoles. The Vita was a great name.

Nintendo, Sega, Xbox have interesting titles. The Dreamcast, the 360, the GameCube and so on are cool names. I hope Nintendo and Xbox never swap to numbers, because it’s boring.

PlayStation consoles do lack distinguishing personality between them though. The Wii vs the GameCube is a big difference and the name exemplifies that.

Last edited:

Forsete

PS6 should be named PlayStation Dudebro.

PS Bro
PS Brolocaust
PS Brolicius
PS Brodiculous
PS Brotacular

Should have been the machine names. RIP in peace.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Microsoft:
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One S/X
Xbox Series S/X

Nintendo:
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo 64
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii-U
Nintendo Switch

Sony:
PlayStation
PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5

You can call it unoriginal, but Sony's naming convention is the least confusing of the three companies.

Valedix

Man people want to complain about dumbest shit.

Counterpoint to OP, Microsoft is worse you go from Xbox, to 360, to One, to Series.

HoodWinked

They're cursed if they stray from convention.
PlayStation Portable was their only majorly successful handheld.

Pocket Station, PSP, PSPGo, PSVita

Then look at their controllers
Dual Shock, Dual Shock 2, Sixaxis (failure), Dual Shock 3, Dual Shock 4, DualSense

Now with VR they're also going the obvious route, this will truly test the trend.
PlayStation_VR2.jpg

Last edited:

lachesis

Sure, compared to Sega, Sony's naming convention is lame. Master System / Genesis, Mega Drive / Saturn / Dreamcast.

But it's the branding. As per branding perspective - it's a smart move. They successfully drove "Playstation" branding - a product of Sony line up, which is vastly more diverse than anything Sega produced.

Consumer behaviors are strange - and many parents just called Genesis as "Sega" and whatever Nintendo produces as "Nintendo". But people just call Playstation as "Playstation", not "Sony"... same goes to Xbox. While MS's naming conventions can be strange - but I think they built their brand "Xbox" pretty well over the years.

TLZ

Banned
They’re worried that if their name is a number behind Sony’s, then they’re always a generation behind - XBOX vs PS2 - XBOX 2 vs PS3 - XBOX 3 vs PS4 - XBOX 4 vs PS5…blah blah blah.
They're worried they'd be a gen behind because of naming, so they went with Xbox One, a name that's 3 gens behind. Lol.

Aenima

Not lazy, smart. Thers a reason some cellphone manufactors do the same now too. It just makes it easy for consumers to know when the new model comes out. And the focus is on the brand Playstation.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They’re worried that if their name is a number behind Sony’s, then they’re always a generation behind - XBOX vs PS2 - XBOX 2 vs PS3 - XBOX 3 vs PS4 - XBOX 4 vs PS5…blah blah blah.

Nintendo needs to release the Nintendo 8, as it’s next system, and put Sony two generations behind, Lol! 😂
If that's the case they already had the drop with the 360. we could be on Xbox 362X right now.

Top Bottom