• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is Working to Increase PS5 Supply in Time for the Holidays

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
playstation-5-77d37a0.jpg

During its latest earnings results, Sony explained that both software sales and gameplay engagement have dropped year-on-year – not a huge surprise given the huge increase in gaming during COVID-19 lockdowns.

"Taking this situation into account," Sony explained, "we intend to take action to increase user engagement in the second half of the fiscal year, during which major titles including first party software are scheduled to be released, primarily by increasing the supply of [PS5] hardware and promoting the new PlayStation Plus service."

Sony says it still expects to meet its forecast of 18 million units sold during this financial year, and is seeing positive signs for supply after lockdowns lifted in Shanghai, a major components production hub. As a result, Sony now believes it can bring forward production and sell many of those units during the holiday season, a boom-time for sales.

Crayon

I got that tip that the bundles were in stock on sony's site last nite. I texted a friend who was looking, and he did't see the text until hours later, but managed to grab what seemed like the last one. I thought that was notable that it was up for sale for sale that long. If the $50 difference for a bundle was able to make it sit around a bit, then maybe things will be better by holidays. I'm sure they will still sell out but maybe it won't be outright ridiculous trying to find one.

bitbydeath

Does anyone know why we haven’t seen new chip manufacturers start up? Surely that has got to be the easiest get rich quick scheme out there, or is it all patented to a certain company who couldn’t give a damn?

Edit: It’s the latter, they think demand will decrease so can’t be bothered spending the money to open up new plants.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Thief1987

Sony says it still expects to meet its forecast of 18 million units sold during this financial year
So 15.7M in 3 quarters, 5.2M on average per Q including often dead January - March. Very ambitious target, then it should be 8M at minimum in a holiday quarter.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The PS5 situation had consoles being sold out in seconds (winter 2020) and had been an issue in finding one so I decided to wait 5 months (may 2021) and take action on an overpriced scalped PS5 digital edition from Facebook Garage Sales. It’s been incredible.
SONY's gameplan out the gate with the digital edition was give new gamers a chance to play their catalog of games, leaving behind loud noisy disk drives, a faster wifi, improved controller, and cheaper price tag.

mckmas8808

Banned
So 15.7M in 3 quarters, 5.2M on average per Q including often dead January - March. Very ambitious target, then it should be 8M at minimum in a holiday quarter.

This sounds 100% like what they are shooting for.

- 3.8 million in Q2 (July - Sept)
- 8.1 million in Q3 (Oct - Dec)
- 3.8 million in Q4 (Jan - Mar)

Seems doable to me if you look at the PS4 trend for the same time covered.

H0XdPCo.png

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yea for PS4 8M in Q4 is pretty much average shipment (counting 7 active years on the market).
Though we're not in normal times - so I wonder what Sony sees with unblocking production lines this year.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yea for PS4 8M in Q4 is pretty much average shipment (counting 7 active years on the market).
Though we're not in normal times - so I wonder what Sony sees with unblocking production lines this year.

This is what Sony was saying at the end of May of this year.

Beyond the initial ramp up "we're planning for heavy further increases in console production, taking us to production levels that we've never achieved before," Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan told an investor briefing. While COVID-19 lockdowns in China continue to create supply chain uncertainty, "things are definitely improving," he added.

The supply of PS5s will increase incrementally. Sony expects cumulative unit sales through the end of fiscal 2023 -- which will be the fourth year since the PS5's launch -- to surpass the total sales volume logged by the PS4 through its fourth year on the market.
The PS5 is made in Japan and China. To protect against risks on the production side, Sony said it procured material from multiple suppliers. Sony also continuously engaged in negotiations to ensure a sound logistics network, the company said. "To expand production, it's important to further promote collaboration in procuring materials with the semiconductor and electronics business segments," said Yoshiharu Izumi, senior equity analyst at SBI Securities.

vivftp

Word is that Sony will be using a 6nm production line for PS5 in the second half of the year, so that's probably going to help their efforts.

Also worth noting that if they're going to surpass the PS4 sales curve next FY then they're gonna have to ship over 23 million PS5s.

Thief1987

- 3.8 million in Q2 (July - Sept)
- 3.8 million in Q4 (Jan - Mar)

H0XdPCo.png
Yeah i'm in no doubt that they could meet their target if it was only about demand, but it's a more about could they manufacture so much, because so far they are falling behind PS4 pace more and more because of manufacture struggles. Last quarter for example was 2.3M PS5 vs 3M PS4 launch aligned, so ~25% less.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think matching ps4 is a pipe dream now, but if they do it...hats off to them. I just can't see it.

We will see after this peak season, if anything can sell consoles you would think it was their 2022 line up.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If they hit that 18 million number I'll be convinced they can do anything.

If not I think the dream of coming close to the ps4 is dead.
The only way it comes close to the PS4 is if the market grows substantially, and given the rise of the switch,pc,mobile and cloud I don't think it will grow that much if at all.
And with the xbox series selling better then the X1, it will take some sales away from playstation.
Its funny that people dont understand that the size of the pie is limited, and if someone takes a bigger slice theres less for others.

Last edited:

yurinka

- 2.5 million in Q2 (July - Sept)
- 5.0 million in Q4 (Jan - Mar)
"Fixed" it with my bets.

According to Sony they'll start the big comeback in Q3 and it's supposed to continue for multiple years, so I think they'll have a weaker Q2 and a stronger than usual Q4, if it's true that they'll start getting enough chips at time to achieve their estimates.

I think it will heavily depend on the amount of chps they get and how fast they can manufacture and ship consoles. Because I think that if they get rid of the supply constrains it will mean skyrocketed record sales that would go way beyond their estimate.

The only way it comes close to the PS4 is if the market grows substantially, and given the rise of the switch,pc,mobile and cloud I don't think it will grow that much if at all.
And with the xbox series selling better then the X1, it will take some sales away from playstation.
Its funny that people dont understand that the size of the pie is limited, and if someone takes a bigger slice theres less for others.
There is a monster demand for PS5. If PS5 didn't destroy Xbox Series and any PS4 and Switch sales record is because PS5 is supply constrained. Once they get enough chips and release the kraken PS5 will destroy all records.

And well, the size of the pie grew every generation. Both for the whole gaming and specificallly for consoles. Both in overal revenue and total amount of consoles sold.

Last edited:
"Fixed" it with my bets.

According to Sony they'll start the big comeback in Q3 and it's supposed to continue for multiple years, so I think they'll have a weaker Q2 and a stronger than usual Q4, if it's true that they'll start getting enough chips at time to achieve their estimates.

I think it will heavily depend on the amount of chps they get and how fast they can manufacture and ship consoles. Because I think that if they get rid of the supply constrains it will mean skyrocketed record sales that would go way beyond their estimate.

There is a monster demand for PS5. If PS5 didn't destroy Xbox Series and any PS4 and Switch sales record is because PS5 is supply constrained. Once they get enough chips and release the kraken PS5 will destroy all records.

And well, the size of the pie grew every generation. Both for the whole gaming and specificallly for consoles. Both in overal revenue and total amount of consoles sold.

What the hell man?

kyle hill kraken GIF by Because Science

I don’t want Kraken to come out of my PS5. It better stay in or else.

I think matching ps4 is a pipe dream now, but if they do it...hats off to them. I just can't see it.

We will see after this peak season, if anything can sell consoles you would think it was their 2022 line up.
They have barely started this gen. They have 12 gaas titles in production alone to be released until 2026. Their entire studios are working on multiple projects. Next year has Forspoken, Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, I'm sure unannounced titles like Factions, etc. Then there's the 2nd part of Final Fantasy VIi coming out in 2024 and possibly Wolverine.

This is a drop of the ocean when you think about it. Thinking the PS5 was going to peak this year or close makes no sense. This gen is gonna last quite a bit.

About 2022 being able to sell consoles....it can. They are selling everything they can manufacture.

COVID slowed a lot of things down. This year we're still getting the titles they revealed in 2020 and we're still going through their crossgen period.

This gen barely started no matter where you play.

jaysius

Banned
How nice of them to restock for scalpers to rip off customers. The only good thing is the scalper stonks of PS5 drop slightly with more supply.

Gamerguy84

Well I believe we are seeing stock increase even now. A friend of the family went up GS about 2 hours ago and picked one up.

First I've heard of local stock. They called me to ask what else the recipient would need and said she was giving to him on Xmas. I told her buy a game for Xmas but give him the console now, that's what he needs.

Lupin25

This was obvious.

They’re clearly expecting much more chip priority with tons of first & third party heavy hitters dropping soon. We know the Winter tends to be more productive with newly annual releases & less exclusives spread throughout the year.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Does anyone know why we haven’t seen new chip manufacturers start up? Surely that has got to be the easiest get rich quick scheme out there, or is it all patented to a certain company who couldn’t give a damn?

Edit: It’s the latter, they think demand will decrease so can’t be bothered spending the money to open up new plants.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

The problem is chips and components come from all over the world, and the rare metals needed are kind of hoarded by companies with contracts for their supplies for years. I remember watching a video where an expert showed how involved it is just building an iPhone - literally manufacturers from all over the globe were needed.

The CHIPS act just passed in the US so hopefully that helps here in a few years. Get various production facilities up and running for the hardest to acquire components.

Sosokrates

"Fixed" it with my bets.

The home console market has not really grown much in the past 22 years.

Ps2 sold 115million by 2006
GameCube 20 mil
Og xbox 25 mil

Total for that gen = 160mill

360 sold 65mill
Ps3 75mill
Wii = 100mill

Total by 2013 = 240 mill

-----------------------

Xbox One sold 50mill
WiiU sold 15mill
Ps4 sold 120mil

Total by 2020 = 185mil

So, we can see by these numbers that the home console market installbase has not changed that much Since gen6

The PS5 is selling just about as well as the PS4 and it would likely sell more if it was not supply constraint.
It could just be a case of the existing PS4 installbase wanting a PS5 faster and after 70million or so have got one demand will slow down.

Maybe the home console will grow, I guess gaming is becoming more mainstream. We could end up with 90mill series consoles sold and 100mill PS5s. Its hard to predict this gen i think its a pretty sure thing that the PS5 will do very well, but I have my doubts it will do better then the PS4, to much has changed for there main competitor since that gen. Another thing we can be sure of is that the PS5 wont "destroy" Xbox series. This gen is going to be very close, very competitive.

"Fixed" it with my bets.

5m consoles sold in Q4? They'd be very lucky to sell 3m. It's just not realistic.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Beyond 18, its at 21 million.

I mean they play to sell 18 million units in 2022, so until march next year. I can't see them doing it at all. If they do then I think they can do anything.
They have barely started this gen. They have 12 gaas titles in production alone to be released until 2026. Their entire studios are working on multiple projects. Next year has Forspoken, Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, I'm sure unannounced titles like Factions, etc. Then there's the 2nd part of Final Fantasy VIi coming out in 2024 and possibly Wolverine.

This is a drop of the ocean when you think about it. Thinking the PS5 was going to peak this year or close makes no sense. This gen is gonna last quite a bit.

About 2022 being able to sell consoles....it can. They are selling everything they can manufacture.

COVID slowed a lot of things down. This year we're still getting the titles they revealed in 2020 and we're still going through their crossgen period.

This gen barely started no matter where you play.

Yeah, I think they have a lot going against them. The price point and covid, imminent recession.

All companies including Sony saw the boost in demand at the start of covid meaning the consoles flew off the shelves and still are to an extent, so everyone could proudly state how it is their fastest selling product and outselling previous gens. Now though, supply issues and drop in demand and consumer spending is goingng to impact. They will need to produce a lot more digital consoles or find a way to get the price down and manufacture more. (Maybe a smaller ps5?) To reach anywhere near the ps4 success. I think it's pretty clear that the ps5 will sit perfectly between the ps3 and ps4 in sales overall.

The problem with gaas titles is they will need to be on PC and the majority of players, or atleast streamers etc will play on PC and that's how you keep momentum and engagement.

I'm interested how it all plays out. There is probably a lot more intelligent people than me working behind the scenes on this and they will know more.

Last edited:

sinnergy

The power of liquid metal and high clocks ! Sony must be very pleased with those decisions, I’ll bet next them you won’t see liquid metal .

Rykan

The home console market has not really grown much in the past 22 years.

Ps2 sold 115million by 2006
GameCube 20 mil
Og xbox 25 mil

Total for that gen = 160mill

360 sold 65mill
Ps3 75mill
Wii = 100mill

Total by 2013 = 240 mill

-----------------------

Xbox One sold 50mill
WiiU sold 15mill
Ps4 sold 120mil

Total by 2020 = 185mil

So, we can see by these numbers that the home console market installbase has not changed that much Since gen6
The console market is growing and the way that you draw a conclusion from these figures is kind of odd.

A jump from 160m to 240m in the next generation is a substantial increase. You left out the Switch in the next generation. Yes, Switch is "technically" a next generation system because it came out after the Wiiu, but realistically it came out very early because the Wiiu was a failure. It's not so much a successor to the Wiiu as much as it is its replacement. If we add the 100m Switch sales to the picture, then that figure comes in at around 285m console, a clear growth over the previous console gen.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

The console market is growing and the way that you draw a conclusion from these figures is kind of odd.

A jump from 160m to 240m in the next generation is a substantial increase. You left out the Switch in the next generation. Yes, Switch is "technically" a next generation system because it came out after the Wiiu, but realistically it came out very early because the Wiiu was a failure. It's not so much a successor to the Wiiu as much as it is its replacement. If we add the 100m Switch sales to the picture, then that figure comes in at around 285m console, a clear growth over the previous console gen.

But then it goes to 185....

Lol at you being selective with the info you use.

The switch is not a "home console" its a hybrid console that can be played portably and at home.

The switch came out in 2017. So treating it like a traditional 9th gen system is not accurate, but even if we do include the switch it actually supports my argument because the switch and its successor is going to take away xbox and ps5 customers, not add them.
Nintendo systems have been wild cards. One thing that is interesting is that the PlayStation installbase has stayed pretty consistent.

Maybe the PS5 will sell as much as the PS4, but it just seems unlikely given the strength of XBOX, switch, PC and mobile, plus emerging cloud gaming services.

People who disagree dont explain why my reasoning for thinking this is wrong, they seem to disregard the growth of other platforms effecting PlayStation. There only reason is, "its selling out" not even bothering to take into account everything else.

Last edited:

Rykan

But then it goes to 185....
Huh? How so? You put the number at 185m. If we add the Switch sales there, its 285m, give or take.
Lol at you selective you are with the info you use.

The switch is not a "home console" its a hybrid console that can be played portably and at home.
Okay so first you tell me I'm the only being selective with the info I use and now you want to exclude one of the best selling systems because it's "technically" a hybrid system. So who's being selective with their info here? Yes, Switch is technically not strictly a home console in the sense that its not limited to being played at home on a TV, but it does offer that functionality as one of its main selling point. If you leave it out simply because you can take it with you on the go in portable mode, then you're left with a very distorted image of what the console market looks like.

The switch came out in 2017. So treating it like a traditional 9th gen system is not accurate, but even if we do include the switch it actually supports my argument because the switch and its successor is going to take away xbox and ps5 customers, not add them.
Nintendo systems have been wild cards. One thing that is interesting is that the PlayStation installbase has stayed pretty consistent.

Maybe the PS5 will sell as much as the PS4, but it just seems unlikely given the strength of XBOX, switch, PC and mobile.
Separating consoles into generations is interesting from a technical hardware perspective, but its completely pointless when you're discussing sales. Your argument was that the console market hasn't grown much in 22 years, yet there are vastly more console sold now than there were 22 years ago. To which console generation each system belongs is simply not relevant to the discussion.
People who disagree dont explain why my reasoning for thinking this is wrong, they seem to disregard the growth of other platforms effecting PlayStation.
I literally explained why your reasoning is wrong in the post you quoted?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Okay so first you tell me I'm the only being selective with the info I use and now you want to exclude one of the best selling systems because it's "technically" a hybrid system. So who's being selective with their info here? Yes, Switch is technically not strictly a home console in the sense that its not limited to being played at home on a TV, but it does offer that functionality as one of its main selling point. If you leave it out simply because you can take it with you on the go in portable mode, then you're left with a very distorted image of what the console market looks like.
The switch is a hybrid console and it came out in 2017, these are facts, im being selective for stating facts? ok ....

But it doesn't matter i said even if we do include the switch, it only strengthens my point.

The switch and its successor will take away ps5 sales, not add to them, but you will probably ignore this point...again..
Separating consoles into generations is interesting from a technical hardware perspective, but its completely pointless when you're discussing sales. Your argument was that the console market hasn't grown much in 22 years, yet there are vastly more console sold now than there were 22 years ago. To which console generation each system belongs is simply not relevant to the discussion.
Well my point is that PS5 wont sell as well as the PS4 because more of the pie is being eaten by others. If the market grows because of the this switch that only strengthens my point.
The market would have to grow for the "hd twins" for the PS5 to sell as much as the PS4 or there would have to be more multi console owners, which is a possibility.
I literally explained why your reasoning is wrong in the post you quoted?
No you only talked about the switch not being included in 8th gen sales figures, u dont address that if nintendo and xbox take bigger pieces of the pie theres less pie for sony. Or somehow is sony immune to competition 😆

Last edited:

Rykan

The switch is a hybrid console and it came out in 2017, these are facts, im being selective for stating facts? ok ....
Yes you are being selective because you come up with arbitrary reasons as to why Switch sales should not be included. Yes, the Switch is a hybrid system, but it is still a console that can be hooked up to the TV and it is frequently played there. Saying that the home console market hasn't grown in twenty years based on the fact that the most popular system happens to be a hybrid system instead of a strictly home console is ridiculous.
But it doesn't matter i said even if we do include the switch, it only strengthens my point.

The switch and its successor will take away ps5 sales, not add to them, but you will probably ignore this point...again..

Well my point is that PS5 wont sell as well as the PS4 because more of the pie is being eaten by others. If the market grows because of the this switch that only strengthens my point.
The market would have to grow for the "hd twins" for the PS5 to sell as much as the PS4 or there would have to be more multi console owners, which is a possibility.

No you only talked about the switch not being included in 8th gen sales figures, u dont address that if nintendo and xbox take bigger pieces of the pie theres less pie for sony. Or somehow is sony immune to competition 😆
Because that's not the part of your post that I take issue with. I don't necessarily disagree with that point. The only part of your post I take issue with is your statement that the home console market hasn't grown much in twenty years. This is demonstrably incorrect.

Top Bottom