• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony isn't prepared for the fight this generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

So where do u think my predictions are wrong?
The strategies ain't different Microsoft just have more developers.
I've included Sony's investments in new Devs, and even with Sony investing in more support studios they are not going to be making forbidden west and TLOU2 sequals in less then 3yrs.
Instead of what you wrote it'd become more like this.

Asobi
Bend
Bungie
BluePoint
FireSprite
Guerrilla
Haven
HouseMarque
Insomniac
London Studio
Media Molecule
Naughty Dog
PixelOpus
Polyphony (Probably not these guys lol)
San Diego
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch

If even half miss a year then they still have the remaining 8 studios to fill it in.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So where do u think my predictions are wrong?
The strategies ain't different Microsoft just have more developers.
I've included Sony's investments in new Devs, and even with Sony investing in more support studios they are not going to be making forbidden west and TLOU2 sequals in less then 3yrs.
Sony has been quietly beefing up the studios they already have so some if not all of their studios have multiple teams now

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
staying power/fun feeling of the competition.

Why would you say such a thing, Forza, sea of thieves have great staying power and have a fun feeling as do gears, and halo and if you look at the next 3yrs xbox's line up has the potential to be better then Sony's.its only naughty dog, god of war and Spiderman that really push the boat out in terms of popularity and reception. But games like returnal, rift apart, sackboy, destruction all stars, dreams etc come and go.

Sosokrates

Asobi
Bend
Bungie
BluePoint
FireSprite
Guerrilla
Haven
HouseMarque
Insomniac
London Studio
Media Molecule
Naughty Dog
PixelOpus
San Diego
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch

If even half miss a year then they still have the remaining 8 studios to fill it in.
50 cent laughing GIF

I'm sorry but you can't be serious.

bitbydeath

I'm confused. Wouldn't you want the 4-5 year dev time opposed to the 1-2 years? Insomniac is the outlier. Every other dev is in that other group. That is what it takes to make a great game. Even the tlou REMAKE took more than 2 years from "naughty gods" and that was JUST a remake. Don't expect top tier devs to make goty contenders with a 1-2 year dev cycle.
Naughty Dog released two games this year, neither were brand new games but it’s something they’ve never been able to do before. They have at least one game, possibly two coming out next year too.

They’ve beefed up a lot.

Sony has been quietly beefing up the studios they already have so some if not all of their studios have multiple teams now

Yeah, we already know Naughty Dog had 3 projects in development, two now that TLOUP1 is out. The multiplayer and Druckmann new game is being worked on at the same time, right now. Druckmanns game has been in development since 2019, the other obviously being Factions

https://press-start.com.au/news/pla...as-confirmed-hes-working-on-a-brand-new-game/

We know Cory Barlog has been working on his new game along side GoW which is why he’s not directing. He confirmed it last year at the showcase.

https://www.ign.com/articles/god-of-war-ragnarok-new-director-cory-barlog-unannounced-projects

We know Guerrilla has another multiplayer game thats been in development since 2019 along side horizon

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...uld-be-working-on-a-horizon-multiplayer-game/

And of course insomniac are working on spider-man, Wolverine, and another multiplayer game. Bungie are working on multiple games, Firesprite have about 4-5 games in production, and a lot of studios we still have no clue about, theres about 7 or 8 studios un accounted for as far as new project announcements.

I’d say the only ones that are far enough away that we won’t hear anything this year is Bend Studio’s new game, London Studios, Havens, Deviations, and Housemarques

And i could actually see them teasing a housemarque game for early 2024, 4 years after Returnal.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Your list is heavily flawed
No one is stopping you from doing a list...
On ms side you know 3 or 4 of the games will probably be great quality and the rest remains to be seen. On Sonys side you know that all of the games will be of great quality.
Lol what a biased take. Sony's VR games will be an acquired taste, haven studios is still unproven, insomniac last game scored as well as infinite, forspoken does not look that hot, bends last game was not the best. Dreams had a mixed reception.

Lol at you applying a double standard to Sony's Devs, if you look at previous games made by both Sony and xbox's studios they both have some great track records and not so great ones.but it's hard to argue Sony's future line up is not inferior compared to xbox's if we are being honest about it.

Dreams had a mixed reception.
Where?

4-A56499-D-AC56-40-A9-BFAA-F8-B8-AD517669.jpg

And :pie_roffles: @ comparing halo infinite to Spider-Man.Not even the most hardcore Halo fans will fight for it at this point. Spider-Man has sold around 23m copies, almost twice as much as the best selling Halo, its a cultural phenomenon. I also don’t want to hear about how it sold jsut because its spider-man either cause the activision games never sold a fraction of the amount.

Sony’s status as a quality first party publisher is solidified at this point. Theres almost no doubt that the majority of their upcoming games will be bangers. They invest in their studios and do great management of them. Its only once in a blue moon that they slip up.

Microsoft still needs a generation of putting out quality titles before people have the same amount of confidence in them. Its not gonna happen over night.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Yeah, we already know Naughty Dog had 3 projects in development, two now that TLOUP1 is out. The multiplayer and Druckmann new game is being worked on at the same time, right now. Druckmanns game has been in development since 2019, the other obviously being Factions

https://press-start.com.au/news/pla...as-confirmed-hes-working-on-a-brand-new-game/

We know Cory Barlog has been working on his new game along side GoW which is why he’s not directing. He confirmed it last year at the showcase.

https://www.ign.com/articles/god-of-war-ragnarok-new-director-cory-barlog-unannounced-projects

We know Guerrilla has another multiplayer game thats been in development since 2019 along side horizon

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...uld-be-working-on-a-horizon-multiplayer-game/

And of course insomniac are working on spider-man, Wolverine, and another multiplayer game. Bungie are working on multiple games, Firesprite have about 4-5 games in production, and a lot of studios we still have no clue about, theres about 7 or 8 studios un accounted for as far as new project announcements.

I’d say the only ones that are far enough away that we won’t hear anything this year is Bend Studio’s new game, London Studios, Havens, Deviations, and Housemarques

And i could actually see them teasing a housemarque game for early 2024, 4 years after Returnal.

Barlog saying SSM are working on something else does mean it's coming anytime soon, he says "we" so it sounds like SSMs next game.

That link about guerilla is just speculation based on a job hire, nothing official.

Yes, Spiderman in 2023 and wolvy in 2024/25 seems reasonable, insomniac are quick but they still need time.
Firesprite have a reported 250 Devs, they are doing the horizon VR game, no word on any other projects yet. What are talking about what 7 or 8 studios? We are talking about the next 3yrs here, if guerilla do horizon 3 we are looking at a 2027 launch, it took 5yrs from hzd to HFW, and we have to consider the bar is even higher for them it being a PS5 exclusive.
London studios are a VR Dev, they make VR games quickly, so it's a given they will have a PSVR2 title in its launch window.

Your maths is wrong 4yrs after returnal (2021) is 2025.

he says "we" so it sounds like SSMs next game.
As opposed to whom? Of course its SMS’s next game, he’s not making it by himself.

And yeah, of course nothign we’re talking about is “officially” confirmed but what do you think a director hired at Guerrilla games is doing if not making a game? Horizon has its own director and its been out already

BB5491-BA-28-B9-4-F66-ABE1-BF3-A7-AE96-E52.jpg

The amount of energy you expend downplaying playstation is actually incredible. I can tell you really are hoping sony have an empty year like its been for your preferred platform.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Where?

4-A56499-D-AC56-40-A9-BFAA-F8-B8-AD517669.jpg

And :pie_roffles: @ comparing halo infinite to Spider-Man.Not even the most hardcore Halo fans will fight for it at this point. Spider-Man has sold around 23m copies, almost twice as much as the best selling Halo, its a cultural phenomenon. I also don’t want to hear about how it sold jsut because its spider-man either cause the activision games never sold a fraction of the amount.

Sony’s status as a quality first party publisher is solidified at this point. Theres almost no doubt that the majority of their upcoming games will be bangers. They invest in their studios and do great management of them. Its only once in a blue moon that they slip up.

Microsoft still needs a generation of putting out quality titles before people have the same amount of confidence in them. Its not gonna happen over night.
Well seeing how your using meta

jMfLhqC.jpg
0Ybqgwm.jpg

Xbox studios have already put out plenty of quality titles, doom,fallout, Wolfenstein, halo, hellblade, Forza etc etc just Xbox acquired these studios does not mean you disregard the previous games.

Xbox studios have already put out plenty of quality titles, doom,fallout, Wolfenstein, halo, hellblade, Forza etc etc just Xbox acquired these studios does not mean you disregard the previous games

Xbox has literally put out none of those games outside of halo and forza.

Its like claiming playstation studios put out Destiny 2 lol

And spider-man still has a higher user score and much higher sales :messenger_waving:

Last edited:

Sosokrates

As opposed to whom? Of course its SMS’s next game, he’s not making it by himself.

And yeah, of course nothign we’re talking about is “officially” confirmed but what do you think a director hired at Guerrilla games is doing if not making a game? Horizon has its own director and its been out already

BB5491-BA-28-B9-4-F66-ABE1-BF3-A7-AE96-E52.jpg

The amount of energy you expend downplaying playstation is actually incredible. I can tell you really are hoping sony have an empty year like its been for your preferred platform.
I'm not downplaying anything, I'm literally looking at how long it took them to make there last games and you're just speculating on things to fit your own wishes because you don't like the picture of what there past paints.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Xbox has literally put out none of those games outside of halo and forza.

Its like claiming playstation studios put out Destiny 2 lol

And spider-man still has a higher user score and much higher sales :messenger_waving:
I would certainly use destiny 2 as a good indicator for the quality of there next projects, I mean why wouldn't you?

Sosokrates

Because Sony had nothing to do with Destiny so it would be incredibly stupid for me to say that SIE put out an amazing product like Destiny when its not remotely true.
Put it this way the quality of a team does not suddenly change if it's acquired unless the acquisition causes some major change, but in the case of zenimax and bungie this does not seem to apply

Im not saying Xbox put out doom, I'm saying the next project id releases will likely be as good as doom, likely better because it's being made for a new gen.

To say we have to not count zenimaxs games that were made before, (as a indicator for the future quality of the games zenimax will make) the Xbox acquisition, is the most ridiculous thing ever.
You're only saying it to try and downplay Xbox studios.

Last edited:
Put it this way the quality of a team does not suddenly change if it's aquired unless the acquisition causes some major change, but on the case of zenimax and bungies this does not seem to be the case.

How do you know?

To say we have discount zenimaxs games that were made before the Xbox acquisition is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Ironic since you’re camped in a playstation doom thread, creating more FUD. Nothing you say is in good faith and you’re not really fooling anyone lol

Last edited:

Sosokrates

How do you know?

How do you know any game will be good or bad then? Why be hyped for anything?
Ironic since you’re camped in a playstation doom thread, creating more FUD. Nothing you say is in good faith and you’re not really fooling anyone lol
It's not FUD, its from there Wikipedia page and it's based on the Dev time for the previous games.
You just can't except that Microsoft have a more numerous first party which should result in them releasing more games in 2024 and 2025.

Last edited:
Why would you say such a thing, Forza, sea of thieves have great staying power and have a fun feeling as do gears, and halo and if you look at the next 3yrs xbox's line up has the potential to be better then Sony's.its only naughty dog, god of war and Spiderman that really push the boat out in terms of popularity and reception. But games like returnal, rift apart, sackboy, destruction all stars, dreams etc come and go.
Destruction all stars is a disaster game yes 🙂. Returnal is still very popular even after all these years.

Put it this way the quality of a team does not suddenly change if it's acquired unless the acquisition causes some major change, but in the case of zenimax and bungie this does not seem to apply

Im not saying Xbox put out doom, I'm saying the next project id releases will likely be as good as doom, likely better because it's being made for a new gen.

To say we have to not count zenimaxs games that were made before, (as a indicator for the future quality of the games zenimax will make) the Xbox acquisition, is the most ridiculous thing ever.
Put it this way, Rare is just a distant shadow from its former self since ms took over. 343 took over Halo and its a disaster ever since. Sorry, but ms history with their studios is not great. I hope they don’t fck up with Bethesda and Blizz, but my confidence is not high seen the history.

Also, just being realistic here, not biased if you think so. I have both consoles plus a switch and gaming pc so no need to war from me. I have gamepass and plus premium.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Have u played infinite, I actually think its gameplay and returnals are a bit similar, they are both fast paced with lots of enemies come from different angles and have loads of particle effects.

You got killed for this but I totally understand what you're saying. In the grand scheme, they're pretty similar from a gameplay pov.

Your list is heavily flawed but even if we take your list, quantity is not the same as quality. On ms side you know 3 or 4 of the games will probably be great quality and the rest remains to be seen. On Sonys side you know that all of the games will be of great quality. Maybe the individual games are not for everyone but the quality will be there

MS has picked up cream of the crop 3rd party developers.

ID Soft, Bethesda Game Studios, Obsidian, Double Fine ... All my favourite developers.

Sony studios simply don't have the pedigree, except a couple.

At best we can praise them for good animation/ graphics.

It would be interesting to see how The Last of Us 3 competes with Quake reboot that Id Soft seems to be cooking.

Or how masterful writing from Obsidian compares with amature, emotional story in something like Spiderman 2.

Hobbygaming

Or how masterful writing from Obsidian compares with amature, emotional story in something like Spiderman
I disagree with your whole comment but this really stood out. Spider-man PS4's writing is ace. Was the writing in The Outer Worlds head and shoulders above Spider-man?? I don't think it was

I disagree with your whole comment but this really stood out. Spider-man PS4's writing is ace. Was the writing in The Outer Worlds head and shoulders above Spider-man?? I don't think it was

Outer World was self funded. More of a budget title. Not their best.

I recommend you wait a few months for Pentiment to release. That should clear things up.

ID Soft, Bethesda Game Studios, Obsidian, Double Fine ... All my favourite developers.

It would be interesting to see how The Last of Us 3 competes with Quake reboot that Id Soft seems to be cooking.

Or how masterful writing from Obsidian compares with amature, emotional story in something like Spiderman 2.
This reads like a joke post 🤣, please tell me you’re just joking 🙂

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

You got killed for this but I totally understand what you're saying. In the grand scheme, they're pretty similar from a gameplay pov.
I think most people are disagreeing because Returnal gameplay is bullet hell

Halo Infinite is more like your standard FPS

Gudji

west coast smoking GIF

BlackTron

Apart from your case they are loke 4 gens apart....

While obviously infinite and returnal have a number of differences, I cant see how they dont appeal to the same gamer.

People who say they enjoy returnal but hate infinite are disingenuous as fuck. I mean you do basically the same stuff, fast evasion and shooting....they are both shooters.

People may prefer one story over the other but to like one and say the other is shit makes no sense.

Well for one, halo has a big focus on multiplayer with large maps and many concurrent players. Most of my Infinite playtime is just matchmaking for big team battle over and over again.

With the kind of logic you are using, if you like one platformer you like all of them, or if you like one FPS you must like them all.

Not that Returnal is even an FPS...I guess I should say the idea is that if you like one shooter, you like them all.

Yes, I find Halo and Returnal about as similar as Duck Hunt and RE4: Wii Edition. Because they have something very fundamental in common (pointing and shooting at the TV) I have to assume that if you like one, you like the other lol.

yurinka

Asobi
Bend
Bungie
BluePoint
FireSprite
Guerrilla
Haven
HouseMarque
Insomniac
London Studio
Media Molecule
Naughty Dog
PixelOpus
San Diego
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch

We also know that Bungie is working in Destiny 2 and in at least 2 new IPs, that Firesprite, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, San Diego and Guerrilla are working on multiple games at the same time, and not sure but maybe Sucker Punch and Media Molecule too. Team Asobi is now focused on one but they plan to work on multiple games at the same time too.

And well, we also have to remember that to support their exclusives line-up Sony also has 2nd party games developed by external developers (Kojima Productions, From Software, Arrowhead, Firewalk, Deviation, Sumo Digital...), AAA 3rd party exclusives (Square Enix, Capcom, Arc System Works, Sega, etc) and indie exclusives via PlayStation Indies (like Kena, Sifu, Stray, Rollerdrome etc).

We also know that Bungie is working in Destiny 2 and in at least 2 new IPs, that Firesprite, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, San Diego and Guerrilla are working on multiple games at the same time, and not sure but maybe Sucker Punch and Media Molecule too. Team Asobi is now focused on one but they plan to work on multiple games at the same time too.

And well, we also have to remember that to support their exclusives line-up Sony also has 2nd party games developed by external developers (Kojima Productions, From Software, Arrowhead, Firewalk, Deviation, Sumo Digital...), AAA 3rd party exclusives (Square Enix, Capcom, Arc System Works, Sega, etc) and indie exclusives via PlayStation Indies (like Kena, Sifu, Stray, Rollerdrome etc).
What's the next From exclusive for Sony?

yurinka

Yes, Spiderman in 2023 and wolvy in 2024/25 seems reasonable, insomniac are quick but they still need time.
Spider-Man 2 is being handled by the Spider-Man 1 leads, and Wolverine by the Miles Morales leads. They grew since they released these game, and in the past they released at least a game almost every year, so I'm confident they'll release Spider-Man 2 in 2023 and Wolverine in 2024.

Firesprite have a reported 250 Devs, they are doing the horizon VR game, no word on any other projects yet.
As I remember Firesprite did show job offers for 2 or 3 different games (we now know one of them is Horizon Call of the Mountain) before acquiring Fabrik and grow. They may be working on 3 or 4 games.

What are talking about what 7 or 8 studios? We are talking about the next 3yrs here, if guerilla do horizon 3 we are looking at a 2027 launch, it took 5yrs from hzd to HFW, and we have to consider the bar is even higher for them it being a PS5 exclusive.
As I remember Guerrilla has an unannounced AAA game under development since late 2018, when they hired back the Rainbow Six Siege and Killzone 2 MP director. Guerrilla has been working at the same time on this game, on Horizon Forbidden West and Horizon Call of the Mountain.

London studios are a VR Dev, they make VR games quickly, so it's a given they will have a PSVR2 title in its launch window.
According to job offer they are working on a 'massive online AAA game for PS5'.

What's the next From exclusive for Sony?
From Software made dozens of Sony exclusives since the PS1 days for every single Sony console. We don't know the name of the next one, but we know that the parent company of From Soft (who even if not counting From Soft also did dozens of PS exclusives since the PS1 days) sold Sony a 14% of FromSoft and that not long ago gave Sony 2% of the parent company in exchange of helping them to bring their games and anime to a worldwide audience.

Jim Ryan also mentioned not while ago that they were strenghtening bonds with Japanese 3rd party partners to get more exclusives, and Hermen Hulst mentioned that the Japanese XDEV team that branched out from Japan Studio to create their own studio would continue publishing Japanese games like -using these specific examples- Death Stranding and Bloodborne. Their first game published outside Japan Studio was Death Stranding Director's Cut.

Last edited:

MikeM

Hey, I dont control what people think..

But regardless of how much we have seen of Ragnarok, my point was that sony has the same pressures as MS when it comes to exclusives. Just because there games may get a few more opencritic points does not mean they arent without fault.

People love to run with the narritive that sony first party is almost perfect. It aint. It really isn't. The only devs they have that are really put out killer apps above the competition is Naughty dog and perhaps SSM, but these games come out every 4 to 5yrs.
Agreed but I will say Sony rep for quality is well earned. I’m rarely disappointed by their releases.

From Software made dozens of Sony exclusives since the PS1 days for every single Sony console. We don't know the name of the next one, but we know that the parent company of From Soft sold Sony a 14% of FromSoft and that not long ago gave Sony 2% of the parent company in exchange of helping them to bring their games and anime to a worldwide audience.
Eddie Murphy Yes GIF

What the hell is this thread? I've been avoiding it due to the title but for some reason decided to poke my head in for some dumb reason and........Jeez. List wars and fanboy nonsense as expected. Sigh......at least it's a block list gold mine. I spent several years at reee and will never go back but at times Gaf can really be something else man....

Last edited:
Do you think there is something wrong in what I said? From Software developed over 45 PlayStation exclusive games since the PS1 according to their wikipedia page.
They also developed 8 Xbox exclusives. This was all before they became a multiplatform juggernaut, it's a very different company now. I wouldn't expect any exclusives from them except for smaller games for PSVR2 maybe.

Pedro Motta

OMFG is this serious?

Not that it's all about winning the sales numbers war, but if it were, Sony is trouble. They went against the weakest effort ever from Microsoft last generation and Xbox still had some success.

This generation is easily the most hungry version of Xbox I've seen and it's not close.

Gamepass, BC, and emulation might not be huge by themselves, but together they make a strong argument against ps5, and $300 console option to boot. How much longer until that console is $199? Late 2024? That will be an incredibly difficult problem for Sony to solve.

And when the heavy hitter xbox exclusives start rolling in next year, it's over imo. Starting with Starfield. I don't think Xbox has ever had this level of exclusives in the pipeline that people want to play again. Halo even last gen wasn't what it was, Gears and Forza aren't really console sellers.
So, Sony boxed against a featherweight last gen as a middleweight. Now it's a heavyweight match. Worse, it feels like there's no urgency and we're seeing a passive version of Sony. VR and the lack of fresh content are much of my reasoning here(I'm talking about console seller fresh content)

And as much as I love VR, it feels like an experiment rooted in the leisure of success. It shows a certain level of comfort to toss their hat back into VR.

Success is not guaranteed this time. Xbox made it super easy last gen and the opposite is true this gen. Not to say ps5 won't have incredible games and good sales numbers, but that's not my point.
What the fuck is this load of tripe.

You hughlight your own ignorance in the opening bullshit. Xbox are not the most hungry they've ever been; that would be the 360 era. 2 years in and their flagship game doesn't have co op.

Whatever drugs you're taking, I want them.

Of course this was written by someone that lost the God of War bet, lmao.
Those avatars were such a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom