• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony isn't prepared for the fight this generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

reezoo

Sony is well prepared, MS is only able to do what they are doing because of the war chest they have from non gaming divisions.
MS gaming division is going to make a lot of stuff non profitable in gaming just so that they can corner the market and kill the competition without worrying about the monetary consequence for them.
Doesn't look good for the industry in the long run.
There's no they could have pulled the activision deal with money just from gaming division.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Agreed but I will say Sony rep for quality is well earned. I’m rarely disappointed by their releases.

Naughty Dog never disappointed me

Horizon FW and ZD were not for me and not any better then Xbox games.

Gow was good but a bit overated it has a few to many issues to be scored so highly.

Spiderman was scored about right.
I regard Spiderman and gow to be about the same in quality.

There first party does have some amazing stuff, but for most gamers everything from them is not going to be amazing.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My take is that Sony are actually very prepared for a fight, but what that response ends up looking like isn't likely to please everyone.

Basically its all about brand expansion; more platforms, services, etc. So wherever MS decides to go, they'll be there to compete with them for mindshare.

Sosokrates

It would be interesting to see how The Last of Us 3 competes with Quake reboot that Id Soft seems to be cooking.
I don't know if you're being serious but this really is apples to oranges. There will be people who prefer a next gen quake to TLOU3.
Or how masterful writing from Obsidian compares with amature, emotional story in something like Spiderman 2.
Spiderman had a great story, but very different to obsidian storytelling style, both are great though.

Sosokrates

confident they'll release Spider-Man 2 in 2023 and Wolverine in 2024.
You have to factor in covid would of pushed things back a bit, which is why think wolverine may slip into 25. But maybe not.
They may be working on 3 or 4 games.
Well there is nothing to suggest they are.
As I remember Guerrilla has an unannounced AAA game under development since late 2018, when they hired back the Rainbow Six Siege and Killzone 2 MP director. Guerrilla has been working at the same time on this game, on Horizon Forbidden West and Horizon Call of the Mountain.
I could see them having a smaller game in the works but AAAs take a long time
According to job offer they are working on a 'massive online AAA game for PS5'.
That would certainly be a shift since there last several games, the last one was blood + truth.

yurinka

You have to factor in covid would of pushed things back a bit, which is why think wolverine may slip into 25. But maybe not.
I already factored covid. Covid is the reason of why Spider-Man 2 will be released in 2023 and not in 2022. Consider also that the pandemic started in early 2020 and that they announced Spider-Man 2 with a 2023 release in September 2021.

Well there is nothing to suggest they are.
They have job offers mentioning different types of games, plus mentioned to be working on multiple games, plus the acquisition of Fabrik and there's the Twisted Metal rumor that mentioned to be at Lucid and later to be moved to Firesprite, and days later a Lucid game director got hired by Firesprite, matching the narrative.

And well, they have a lot of employees.

I could see them having a smaller game in the works but AAAs take a long time
Yes, AAA games take 4-6+ years. But there's also outsourcing, co-developing and rehashing stuff. CoM will be a smaller game codeveloped with Firesprite and rehashing assets from HFW.

But this unannounced AAA they had in development since almost 4 years ago must be a AAA game just looking at the Guerrilla Games headcount and the time they have been working on it.

That would certainly be a shift since there last several games, the last one was blood + truth.
Yes. Basically all the Sony teams are growing and many of them are making (or recently published) bigger games than the ones they did until now.

Last edited:

mac and me aliens GIF

Last edited:

Sosokrates

plus mentioned to be working on multiple games,
Where was this mentioned?
Yes, AAA games take 4-6+ years. But there's also outsourcing, co-developing and rehashing stuff. CoM will be a smaller game codeveloped with Firesprite and rehashing assets from HFW.

But this unannounced AAA they had in development since almost 4 years ago must be a AAA game just looking at the Guerrilla Games headcount and the time they have been working on it.
Yeah well, you think what u want, but a studio of 265 that has mainly done support work suddenly expanding and doing 4- 5 AAA games at once is simply not grounded in reality, could they do a single AAA in 3-5yrs yes, that is plausible.
Yes. Basically all the Sony teams are growing and many of them are making (or recently published) bigger games than the ones they did until now.
You cant just hit a magic button and add hudrends of more devs which will magically speed up development of AAA games. Watch the credits of any modern AAA game, they are already outsourced to fuck and still take several years to make.

yurinka

Where was this mentioned?
Can't remember now, I'd bet it was a Hermen Hulst interview.

Yeah well, you think what u want, but a studio of 265 that has mainly done support work suddenly expanding and doing 4- 5 AAA games at once is simply not grounded in reality, could they do a single AAA in 3-5yrs yes, that is plausible.
You have no idea who they are. They don't support. This team basically has a good chunk of the staff of Liverpool Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations (the people who made Driveclub, Motorstorm, Wipeout or Project Gotham games) combined with many people from several other AAA studios.

They made The Persistence VR, codeveloped Star Citizen and now are developing Horizon Call of the Mountain.

And again, it isn't a guess, it's a fact that they are and have been working on multiple AAA games according to their job offers and already announced games like Horizon CoM and Star Citizen.

You cant just hit a magic button and add hudrends of more devs which will magically speed up development of AAA games. Watch the credits of any modern AAA game, they are already outsourced to fuck and still take several years to make.
You don't need a magic button to hire developers. And even if with a lot of outsourcing, more devs in the lead studios means more games developed at the same time in that studio and games being released faster.

See Insomniac as an example, they are the model that Hermen Hulst is following for all their big studios according to him.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

You have no idea who they are. They do support.
I said they do mainly support work, which they do.
working on multiple AAA games

Job advertisements are not confirmations of a game, they could being doing support work.

But enough with this back and forth, firesprite, won't release another game after horizon VR on the same scale for at least another 2yrs, and a AAA game from them will be out in a minimum of 3yrs after horizon VR. They may support other studios though. Let's see who is right, because I would bet I am.

Last edited:

yurinka

I said they do mainly support work, which they do.
It was a typo, they codeveloped games in a support role in the past but now don't do support.

Job advertisements are not confirmations of a game, they could being doing support work.
Job advertisiments are confirmations that they are working on that type of games, it doesn't make sense to make job offers for games that don't exist. And they don't do support work, see below:

But enough with this back and forth, firesprite, won't release another game after horizon VR on the same scale for at least another 2yrs, and a AAA game from them will be out in a minimum of 3yrs after horizon VR. They may support other studios though. Let's see who is right, because I would bet I am.
Bullshit. They don't do support:

"Firesprite has collaborated with PlayStation Studios before, working with Team Asobi on The Playroom titles for PS4. However, Hulst says that the developer will be working on its own projects going forward.

"It is just the right time for them to join us and double down on the projects that we're doing with them. To solidify the relationship and to give them a proper seat at the table where we have formal knowledge exchange with other studios. They already have some strong ties with certain first-party studios, but I want to be clear that we want them to lead the development of several game projects, rather than helping other teams out, even though they have collaborating with us before."

"As Firesprite has grown and evolved, we think that this is a role that it's now ready for, which is developing exclusive games for PlayStation Studios."

https://gamingbolt.com/firesprite-studios-wont-make-only-vr-games-hermen-hulst

He also mentioned there they won't be limited to VR games.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Sony is well prepared, MS is only able to do what they are doing because of the war chest they have from non gaming divisions.
MS gaming division is going to make a lot of stuff non profitable in gaming just so that they can corner the market and kill the competition without worrying about the monetary consequence for them.
Doesn't look good for the industry in the long run.
There's no they could have pulled the activision deal with money just from gaming division.

Pretty much this. MS has been hurting the industry ever since they got involved in it and it's not leading in a great direction.

I give Sony and Nintendo much credit for spanking MS so hard that they had to use such brute force methods to get their way. But they were always gonna get their way no matter what. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

Pretty much this. MS has been hurting the industry ever since they got involved in it and it's not leading in a great direction.

What a load of tripe?

They pioneered console online shooters, a category that has helped industry grow many folds.

If they would have left it upto Sony/Nintendo/Sega, they would have kept industry many times smaller than it is today.

Have you seen the fate of camera industry ever since smartphone camera got better?

Google/Apple would have torn it apart if it weren't a big enough or popular enough.

Man people need to lighten up. The gaming industry is diverse- I never touch American online focused games.
If all we got was CoD and GTA I would be depressed too but it is not.

BlackTron

What a load of tripe?

They pioneered console online shooters, a category that has helped industry grow many folds.

If they would have left it upto Sony/Nintendo/Sega, they would have kept industry many times smaller than it is today.

Have you seen the fate of camera industry ever since smartphone camera got better?

Google/Apple would have torn it apart if it weren't a big enough or popular enough.

What you appear to be saying is that my suggestion that MS has hurt gaming is "tripe" because of your examples of how MS has helped gaming.

TBH whether your examples are true or not, they have nothing to do with whether MS has damaged the industry in the other ways being discussed.

It's certainly possible that MS both delivered a hit game with Halo 2, while also using it as a catalyst to normalize paying for online. The direction they are going now, is to try to have so much content on Gamepass for such a low price that they severely undercut the competition. Buying the win. I wouldn't exactly call trying to crowd out the competition through financial control of all the big players "good for the industry", it massively impacts its natural equilibrium. Now I'm not saying I'm against the merger -I think really they have the right to do it, business is business. In my opinion it will overall impact the industry in a negative way, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to execute it lol.

The whole "Netflix of gaming" thing is just a dangerous direction in general. In the end, the games don't have to be outstanding, just not bad enough not to cancel. We run the risk of games becoming like Netflix or Amazon shows...let's revisit this discussion in 5 years.

solidus12

You can buy your way into this industry, but you sure as shit can't beat the passion and the dedication of some of the best creators that are part of Playstation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom