• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony May Be Working on Picture-in-Picture Style Functionality for the PS5

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A Sony patent suggests that some form of Picture-in-Picture may be in development for PlayStation 5. Since the release of its most recent console, Sony have yet to implement any such functionality officially, with gamers forced to manipulate loopholes in order to make different applications appear simultaneously.

A Sony patent now suggests that a Picture-in-Picture style feature may be in the works, which only adds to the potentially developments PlayStation 5 can be expected to witness in the coming months.

The patent is titled "Game Console Application With Action Card Strand," but thankfully the background and description provide an overview with less technical jargon. It begins with context offered to justify the conception, describing how Graphical user interfaces are essential for "interfacing with computer systems," and claiming that there "is a need for an improved GUI that allows for better information sharing and control switching." Although the proceeding summary does not include the words Picture-in-Picture, it outlines that very system in all but name, detailing how it would allow users to continue playing their game while also interacting with chat, video, and music-based applications. The in-depth description specifically mentions Picture-in-Picture seven times throughout, with it being used to articulate what some provided images are portraying, or issued as an example for the intended functionality.

sony-multi-image-patent-screens-hopefully-rotate.jpg

vivftp

I've used the screen share feature several times when playing games with friends to have a small window of their game screen in the corner of my TV. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you also have the Youtube app in a small window of your screen ala picture in picture?

[Sigma]

I use it to watch prize fights, NFL, or fighting game tournaments while playing a game if I happen to being playing a game at that moment.

Last edited:

Aenima

Sony have yet to implement any such functionality officially, with gamers forced to manipulate loopholes in order to make different applications appear simultaneously.

Lol, what? PS5 has PIP since launch. Games that has hints or tips in the gaming cards you can put the video in PIP while playing the game oficially without any loopholes.

Banned
a feature so meaningless that Microsoft patched it out of their console's OS to free up CPU cycles for more important stuff...

[Sigma]

a feature so meaningless that Microsoft patched it out of their console's OS to free up CPU cycles for more important stuff...
The fact that they had to patch it out for that just means the console was poorly constructed in the first place
620ebc309185b75a9e5f9ed3dbfdc46e.gif

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Literally old news.
What happened to Gamerant?
Did this writer just really really need God of War Ragnorok money so found some old articles and republished them for the paycheck?

Banned
The fact that they had to patch it out for that just means the console was poorly constructed in the first place

pip stuff like that is mostly a CPU thing, and the Xbox One had a better CPU than the PS4, so no... it was just a useless feature that was almost never used by anyone.

the Xbox One still could multitask with 1 game and (I think) 3 apps active at the same time, something the PS5 can't even do lol, has to be due to a poorly constructed console I guess

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Damnit i really miss the snap functionality of the original xbox one. I used that shit constantly to watch youtube, games done quick, and football all while playing things that didn't demand 100 percent of my attention, like destiny 1, forza motorsport 5, and diablo 3. I would love for sony to bring this feature back if Microsoft wont

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol, what? PS5 has PIP since launch. Games that has hints or tips in the gaming cards you can put the video in PIP while playing the game oficially without any loopholes.
Yep. I use the PIP feature when gaming with friends and they want to share some gameplay while I'm playing a different game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A patent filed by Sony for "Relevancy-Based Video Help in a Video Game" suggests the developer is working on a picture-in-picture system for game tutorials. The proposed system would see players able to overlay a video on top of their gameplay, allowing them to quickly access tutorial videos while still playing a game. The patent suggests that the console would be recording video of a player's game session, allowing the system to suggest a video based on the specific section of the game. No official announcement has been made by Sony about any picture-in-picture implementation

sony-ps5-patent-picture-in-picture-game-tutorial.jpg

Banned
Damnit i really miss the snap functionality of the original xbox one. I used that shit constantly to watch youtube, games done quick, and football all while playing things that didn't demand 100 percent of my attention, like destiny 1, forza motorsport 5, and diablo 3. I would love for sony to bring this feature back if Microsoft wont

many modern TVs can do that now. just sayin

Top Bottom