• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony May Be Working to Make Old Peripherals Compatible with Modern PlayStation Consoles

Fbh

Why would you need a DS4?

You can turn off the Dualsense features anytime lol

Because as nice as Dualsense is, I own a pair of perfectly functional DS4's and I'd like to use those when I have a buddy over (or I forget to charge the dualsense) instead of having to buy a new $70 controller.

Also I think it's kinda ridiculous all these games are playable completely fine with a DS4 on PC...even the Sony first party games.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
BACK BUTTON ATTACHMENTS LOL

drd7of14

Neo Member
old PlayStation peripherals like the EyeToy, the PS Mouse, PSP Go, and something labeled a “legacy card reader.”
PSP Go is not a peripheral, it was a digital-only PSP

Legacy Card Reader (I presume) is in reference to the PS 1/2 memory card to USB adapter for use on PS3

That sounds so meticulous as to be almost unnecessary, and, coming from a company that apparently opted to forego PS3 emulation on PS5, it doesn't seem like priority.
PS3 emulation is not up to quality standards that would justify sale. It would invite major criticism and lead to a high level of refunds.
It could be done with enough time/money, but it is clearly not financially viable right now. Perhaps that will change down the line, but I wouldn't say they "opted out". They determined it's not feasible to pull off on PS5.

Initially released in 2010, PlayStation Move was initially intended as a competitor to Microsoft Kinect
It was not initially intended as a competitor to Kinect. Move tech was in R&D since early PS2 development days predating the Wii's (initially Revolution) announcement.

Here's a video from August 2001 with motion tracking with the EyeToy and Move-like prototypes:

Lupin25

Makes sense. I know many of my fellow gamers who’d rather play with Xbox Elite controllers as well, because of their unique size.

I figured the DualSense was pretty much the same size, but now that I’ve compared I see the difference.
It’s been awhile, almost two years for me lol.

Pallas

Maybe they decided to finally allow …

eAZ9gA8.jpg

But seriously, it would be awesome if it’s something to do with physical backwards compatibility, but I know the chances are slim.

It’s probably just controllers and guns for their classics.

SScorpio

But seriously, it would be awesome if it’s something to do with physical backwards compatibility, but I know the chances are slim.

It’s probably just controllers and guns for their classics.
Sadly older light guns won't work on modern TVs. PS3 guns were the first that will and those are USB.

As much as people complained that DS4 didn't work on PS5 games, this is completely unneeded.

The Dual Sense is a far superior controller and non of the old accessories are really that important going forward.

The decision to move on from pressure-sensitive buttons is something sony is going to have to live with or maybe you throw that in the pro controller.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
As much as people complained that DS4 didn't work on PS5 games, this is completely unneeded.

The Dual Sense is a far superior controller and non of the old accessories are really that important going forward.

The decision to move on from pressure-sensitive buttons is something sony is going to have to live with or maybe you throw that in the pro controller.
Dualshock 4 feels cheap once you got used to Dualsense.

coffinbirth

DS5 on PS4 consoles should also be possible.

Not because you want to feign you have a PS5, but because you genuinelly can't buy PS4 controllers anymore as they don't make them since they launched PS5.

EDIT: DS5 works on PS3 consoles after all, just not on PS4.
They discontinued DS4 in Japan... they are still readily available there and everywhere else though, brick and mortar and online, what are you on about?

They discontinued DS4 in Japan... they are still readily available there and everywhere else though, brick and mortar and online, what are you on about?
I live in Europe and have been unable to find buy them online at regular prices since November 2021 (the last time Amazon had them in stock and was listed as the seller).

They were sparse and far between before that. I reckon they were impossible to buy from any retailer 6 months before that. Retailers stock 3rd party controllers (wired and all) and then they have tons of DualSense/DS5 stock even if they never have PS5's in stock.

In these circunstances, buying a DS5 for a PS4 should be a shoe-in, specially seeing people will inevitably buy one. It's an ecosystem after all.

That's subjective. But even if it wasn't, imagine you want to do local multiplayer but don't have an extra DS5 controller.

It would be adequate to be able to use the DS4.

People seem to forget that having more options is better. Doesn't mean it's the first option or preferable, but it's better than nothing and in reality, not much of a compromise. And there is no tech reason for that functionality being barred in the first place so it feels wrong/bad/abusive and a cash grab.

Personally, I want more games that support splitscreen and local multiplayer as I don't give a shit about online multiplayer. On the PS4/Xbox One they were few and far between and perhaps that would be different (on PS5 and Xbox Series S/X) if devs could count on more people having compatible controllers at home. DS3, DS4, DS5, I don't care. They're all controllers, they serve the same purpose and when it comes to the odds of finishing first in a race, they behave equal.

Last edited:
Exactly.

I bought a couple to use on PC, but then I don't want to use them either after the Dual Sense. At some point, I'll buy an extra DS for the PC. Easily the best PS controller to date.

I know Sony will put out a PS1 style theme at some point for that $$ and hopefully a ps2 theme as well. PS2 is due for a 25-year anniversary in 2025 and next year is the PS1's 30-year anniversary.

Would be shocked if we don't get at least Dual Sense themes and maybe even a PS5 themed after them. I'll probably wait til at least we cross those marks.

Last edited:
I live in Europe and have been unable to find buy them online at regular prices since November 2021 (the last time Amazon had them in stock and was listed as the seller).

They were sparse and far between before that. I reckon they were impossible to buy from any retailer 6 months before that. Retailers stock 3rd party controllers (wired and all) and then they have tons of DualSense/DS5 stock even if they never have PS5's in stock.

In these circunstances, buying a DS5 for a PS4 should be a shoe-in, specially seeing people will inevitably buy one. It's an ecosystem after all.

That's subjective. But even if it wasn't, imagine you want to do local multiplayer but don't have an extra DS5 controller.

People seem to forget that having more options is better. Doesn't mean it's the first option or preferable, but it's better than nothing and in reality, not much of a compromise. And there is no tech reason for that functionality being barred in the first place so it feels wrong/bad/abusive and a cash grab.

Personally, I want more games that support splitscreen and local multiplayer as I don't give a shit about online multiplayer. On the PS4/Xbox One they were few and far between and perhaps that would be different (on PS5 and Xbox Series S/X) if devs could count on more people having compatible controllers at home. DS3, DS4, DS5, I don't care. They're all controllers, they serve the same purpose and when it comes to the odds of finishing first in a race, they behave equal.

It's not about forgetting that having more options is better, it's remembering that everything has an opportunity cost.

The resources going into making this work or even thinking it up has a cost to it and that cost is some other features or offerings that are way more important ultimately.

It's not about it being barred and absolutely there are reasons. You have to get all that hardware to be supported natively in the latest OS. You need drivers to communicate with the hardware and in many cases, you'll need an adapter as well as most peripherals weren't USB until ps3. Ultimately, there isn't any real value here.

Rayderism

I got these old peripherals I'd like for them to make compatible with modern Playstation consoles......I call them PS1/2/3 physical discs.

coffinbirth

Literally a five second search, my guy.
Sold and shipped by Amazon.

Saying they "can't be bought anymore" is just false.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799976M1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The resources going into making this work or even thinking it up has a cost to it and that cost is some other features or offerings that are way more important ultimately.
What cost?

It works on PS3 because it is recognized as a generic bluetooth enabled controller. So the stack is there, PS5 even uses the same store/system/framework (and x86 architecture), so it's just a matter of rolling it out.
Ultimately, there isn't any real value here.
There's no real value for them. because they don't want people using DS4 controllers on PS5 games and don't want people using DS5 on PS4 consoles/games.

All in all it's as shitty as it gets.
Literally a five second search, my guy.
Sold and shipped by Amazon.

Saying they "can't be bought anymore" is just false.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799976M1/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I said europe.

I don't care about continents that are not my own. Just searched on amazon and it's still true, it gives me the option to import from UK (not european union anymore, so there's customs), but says that they can't be shipped here.

I'll check locally to see if controller stock has been replenished later this week. But it hasn't been something you find in stores for a while. Unlike DS5.

Last edited:
Exactly.

I bought a couple to use on PC, but then I don't want to use them either after the Dual Sense. At some point, I'll buy an extra DS for the PC. Easily the best PS controller to date.

I know Sony will put out a PS1 style theme at some point for that $$ and hopefully a ps2 theme as well. PS2 is due for a 25-year anniversary in 2025 and next year is the PS1's 30-year anniversary.

Would be shocked if we don't get at least Dual Sense themes and maybe even a PS5 themed after them. I'll probably wait til at least we cross those marks.
Dualsense is extremely ugly compared to the DS4. It looks like a 3rd party mad catz controller.

Thanks but was hoping to use the ones I already have instead of something that's almost the price of the controller!

I wouldn't say cheap, but it definitely has a different feel than what I remember it being. Want a really cheap/crazy feeling? Play on PS5 for awhile, then try to play on a PS3. I was shocked at how weird the DS3 felt in my hands.

David B

An Idiot
Unrelated but I can't post up yet so I have to reply in similar areas. My PS3 will not connect online with wireless or wired ethernet connection. Therefore there's some problem with Sony right now either killing the PS3 online servers or just doing some work. I've done a bunch of things myself. Never goes online though.

Top Bottom