• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony May Have PS5 Marketing Rights for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora

Andodalf

Banned
The thing that intrigues me most about this?
Seeing FIFA there.

Not FIFA23, or Ea Sports FIFA, just FIFA.
Whilst nearby is NBA2K. Which company will be using the FIFA brand now? Hmm.
That’s just how it’s branded, it’s clearly referring to the current game.

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News
Trump Words GIF by moodman

Robb

Gold Member
I enjoyed the movie but have zero interest in this game.

Might be a good move though considering they’re going to start pushing out yearly sequels to the original movie. Definitely sounds like Avatar will make a comeback.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
At the very least, it will be very dynamic thanks to all these next gen enhancements like A.I, destruction and much faster flying speeds.

Flying​

Map Design​

Enemy and Creature AI​

Immersion​

Every time I watch the trailer, hear the Avatar music, and read about this stuff just makes me so erect. I know it's Ubisoft, and I know this game will end up disappointing me, but it is one of those rare instances when I can't stop overhyping myself. I love Avatar so much.

The only issue for me is that it's first-person only. Even flying -- and flight controls -- would be weird because of that first-person camera. I hope I'm wrong.

Talking about immersion, it would be a HUGE missed opportunity if they don't create a separate PS VR 2 version of the game. Sony already has the partnership agreement with them; I hope they are working on a PS VR 2 playable version.

The game is already in first-person; it would be amazing in VR. Finger-tracking for bows + adaptive triggers. Haptic feedback when you touch alien flora and fauna. Haptic feedback sensation in VR when you're "bonding" with your Banshee. Motorized head feedback while you're fizzing through in super-fast flight. I hope Ubisoft does not waste that potential.

shaddam

I'm hyped for this game,my first ps3 plat was the previous game back in 2010:messenger_grinning_sweat: The only thing I dont like that it will be fps

Kagey K

Banned
I'm hyped for this game,my first ps3 plat was the previous game back in 2010:messenger_grinning_sweat: The only thing I dont like that it will be fps
So are you so excited that the tv ads with PlayStation?

Does it make you believe it's PlayStation exclusive?

Do you even notice it?

Last edited:
I think all of this is pointless really. Some guy said yuck to a game that looks incredible. straight up photorealistic at times. In order for me to point out why thats a ridiculous thing to say, i pretty much HAVE to compare it with something. if it was CG like Beyond Good and Evil, I obviously wouldn't have done that.

It's like if someone said yuck to Kate Upton. She's not attainable. None of us have any chance to fuck her, but yuck, really?
Don't trust Ubi'd lies bro. I also highly doubt they're going to be getting all that ray tracing working either. If they get GI working it'll be a minor miracle especially this being Ubisoft.

I'd love to be wrong.

Man the end of the year has to be really really bleak before I even entertain the idea of picking up Avatar. And I like ubisoft games btw.

Hezekiah

Banned
? It's literally the best looking game shown on ANY platform as of now.

Even if it gets a classic Ubisoft downgrade, it will still look better than any game out there right now.

DuqGnnB.gif

D5UJDAw.gif

If by some miracle Avatar doesnt get delayed to 2023, this might be the only next gen only game releasing on the PS5 this year.
Funny how you're getting wet over what is almost certainly going to a generic movie tie-in 'product' simply because it's next gen only with nice graphics.

And it still probably won't look as good as Horizon anyway lol.

Even if it gets a classic Ubisoft downgrade, it will still look better than any game out there right now.

DuqGnnB.gif

D5UJDAw.gif

If by some miracle Avatar doesnt get delayed to 2023, this might be the only next gen only game releasing on the PS5 this year.
This is PS exclusive?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is PS exclusive?
Nope.

Sony has the marketing rights, so it likely means:
  • No possibility of a day one Gamepass launch
  • Sony will have the first right to refusal to have the game on any third-party subscription service (PS+)
  • PS may get some exclusive in-game content, if there is any.
  • PS may get early or exclusive access to a demo or beta, if there is any.

Neff

I love Avatar so this will be the second Ubisoft game I ever buy.

I always wondered how the highest grossing movie of all time can have so little cultural impact.

This comes up because it didn't rush to establish itself as a franchise, didn't set the world alight with merchandise, and was short on memes. And people painting themselves blue to go to parties was kinda embarrassing. In fact the only consistent meme it really has is that it 'didn't have cultural impact'.

But the movie was a smash hit, and is old enough now for the sequel to capitalise on nostalgia. It's been over ten years since the first movie so naturally people are going to be curious. Don't underestimate Cameron, that graveyard is overflowing.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
avatar-frontiers-of-pandora-ps5-playstation-5-1.900x.jpg

Franchises like FIFA and Call of Duty may not be exclusive to PlayStation consoles, but the platform holder markets them as if they are. And as part of a corporate strategy webcast, it’s flagged Ubisoft’s upcoming open world Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora as a potentially partnered game.

While it didn’t clarify, Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said that it values its relationships with third-party publishers, and flashed up a list of logos on screen.
The inclusion of Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora suggests that PlayStation has signed a deal with the release.

Time to stop this romance and stick it. Ubisoft x PS Studios.

WelltodoUnluckyGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

But it can only work, if people can buy the consoles. If the scarcity continues all those millions were wasted.
True, but historically it has. Last gen Sony could get an exclusive for half the price MS could and they took advantage of that.
The way console exclusives work is you have to compensate the dev for the sales they would have lost on the other console. As Sony had sold 120 million PS4s and MS sold 50 million Xbox Ones, MS would have to pay double the cost of Sony. Why wouldn't Sony take advantage of that?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

DuqGnnB.gif

D5UJDAw.gif

You probably shouldn't expect the final game to look like this going by ubi's track record.

Just saying.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Funny how you're getting wet over what is almost certainly going to a generic movie tie-in 'product' simply because it's next gen only with nice graphics.

And it still probably won't look as good as Horizon anyway lol.
Nope. I have posted why I am looking forward to it. Destruction, A.I, fast flying are all going to impact game design and dynamic gameplay thats missing from horizon. You can see some of the destruction in the second gif where the gunship bullets tear through some small trees and they just fall apart realistically.

I posted all the gameplay enhancements they are bringing earlier in the thread that im far more excited about than visuals.

You probably shouldn't expect the final game to look like this going by ubi's track record.

Just saying.
Yes. Hence, this line in the very post you quotd.

Wohc

Banned
True, but historically it has. Last gen Sony could get an exclusive for half the price MS could and they took advantage of that.
The way console exclusives work is you have to compensate the dev for the sales they would have lost on the other console. As Sony had sold 120 million PS4s and MS sold 50 million Xbox Ones, MS would have to pay double the cost of Sony. Why wouldn't Sony take advantage of that?
I know how it's supposed to work and Microsoft also buys timed exclusives, but i still don't think that many people buy a console for a timed exclusive unless it's something big like The Witcher. But most likely not for games like Kena, Stray or The Medium.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Nope. I have posted why I am looking forward to it. Destruction, A.I, fast flying are all going to impact game design and dynamic gameplay thats missing from horizon. You can see some of the destruction in the second gif where the gunship bullets tear through some small trees and they just fall apart realistically.

I posted all the gameplay enhancements they are bringing earlier in the thread that im far more excited about than visuals.
Would happily put money on it being mediocre.

AllBizness

Banned
Sony needs all the 3rd party deals it can get considering Microsoft just bought a 3rd of the quality AAA IP in the industry.

Top Bottom