• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony New Patent Aims to Change the PlayStation Controller Temperature For Haptics

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sony has published a new patent that discusses improvements to the haptic feedback feature and the ability to emulate the controller temperature to reflect gameplay moments. It mentions a deformable elastic sensor as well to replace the current plastic material used in PlayStation controllers. The change in sensors will reportedly improve the haptic feedback feature in the current controllers because of utilizing the gel-like material.

The shape or hardness of the portions of the elastic members 11 (grips) changes in response to a process performed by the information processing apparatus 2 such as a game, which makes it possible, for example, to present the material of a virtual object in a game space to the user as a haptic sensation, present the temperature of the virtual object as a warm/cold sense, or the like.
The controller could also emulate different changes in temperature to reflect the in-game virtual items in haptic feedback. For instance, a hot in-game material could make the controller mimic a mildly high temperature. The “Peltier element” would be included in the controller, which is able to electrically change its temperature to add another level of immersion in the haptic feedback feature and video games because of the new technology.

The image showcases the implementation of deformable elastic member in controllers.

Delving into the specifics, the patent dubbed “CONTROLLER” will use an electric signal that will flow through the deformable elastic member. It will detect the users’ touches to output electric signals depending on how much the sensor material was deformed. Thus, the vibrations will travel better through the new elastic material. The patent deeply discusses the deformable elastic material, and how it will “enrich haptic experiences.

This sensor detects user’s contact with or deforming action of the elastic member and outputs an electric signal based on the detected contact or deforming action in question.”
Shows an example diagram revealing an arrangement of the elastic member in the controller.

The elastic sensors could be based on various flexible materials, “such as a macromolecular gel material, examples of which are silicone-based macromolecular gel materials and urethane-based gel materials, and various elastomer materials.” Additionally, the controller could also utilize artificial muscles or soft actuators in the elastic member to ensure a smooth and organic experience during gameplay sessions, as mentioned.

Sony briefly states using AI to automatically recognize the severity of deformation. It will be recorded to naturally create haptic feedback in the controller depending on the pressure. The elastic sensor will feel the user’s touches, pinching, twisting, and other similar actions that will result in deformations of the material. All the actions performed by the user will be sensed by the controller utilizing innovative technology.

The patent also raises a concern with the elastic member trigger; deformation by a user may cause difficulty in locating its original shape and position while playing a game. In other words, it may become difficult to find the up and down directions of the control because of the change in shape; Sony provides a solution for it. The button will adopt the egg-like elliptical shape to fit in the user’s hand nicely.

The natural shape of the elastic member 11 may be asymmetric. For example, if the elastic member 11 is elliptical (what is generally called an egg-shaped) having, for example, a slightly thinner front, it becomes easy to recognize the up and down directions of the controller 1.”
Shows an example diagram revealing the external view of an arrangement of the elastic member in the controller.

The ability to mimic different temperatures to reflect gameplay moments is quite a major feat, and it hasn’t been seen in the controllers for now. Moreover, the flexible elastic member will enhance the user experience during a gameplay session, while only serving to improve the haptic feedback feature due to a lack of hard plastic. Sony could fully change the way controllers work by enhancing the haptic feedback to become even more natural.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
How ridiculously short you want your battery life? Just give me an official controller stripped from all this bullshit that last me 20 hours and I will buy it for $80.

Chukhopops

The elastic sensors could be based on various flexible materials, “such as a macromolecular gel material, examples of which are silicone-based macromolecular gel materials and urethane-based gel materials, and various elastomer materials.” Additionally, the controller could also utilize artificial muscles or soft actuators in the elastic member to ensure a smooth and organic experience during gameplay sessions, as mentioned.
All I’m reading is PC support and H-games. They’re about to become a lot more immersive.
Nicolas Cage Wink GIF

SJRB

Gold Member
Imagine how much power it would consume to constantly shift temperatures.

The controller probably comes with a pocket-sized nuclear reactor to plug your controller in.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Another useless patent. How about inventing some proper durable sticks and licensing it out to everyone for the good of mankind.

Last edited:
Imagine how much power it would consume to constantly shift temperatures.

The controller probably comes with a pocket-sized nuclear reactor to plug your controller in.
Didn't thorium mini reactors make some progress just recently? Coincidence? I don't think so.

I got my PS5 just recently, so not played that many games, but I am not sold on the new triggers. I'd rather have a slightly stiffer spring (like the 360 controller) not this again mushy thing and if any only minimal variable force not this factor 10 increase in push. And the old convex sticks, the only thing where the DS was better than MS's design.

skit_data

I’d rather have one that just keeps it at a rather cool temperature to keep your palms sweat free. Luckily I’m blessed with palms that are less prone to sweat but when taking turns playing with friends you quickly discover that it’s not the case with everyone.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I remember tech like this being demoed at a trade show. I always thought it would be more useful for me to just have it always be on cool.

Could be cool for VR though, I suppose.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nope, we'll stop when they get it together. Most people want one thing, controllers that don't need fixing or replacing within months. Instead they focus on literally everything else.

With all honesty, I think it's on the players. I think most players that suffer from drift are shit players and put too much force on the controller when they get their asses served to them. The only drift I've ever had since PS1 was on PS4 and because it has fallen hard on the analog, not from natural gaming.

Also all Xbox, PS, and Nintendo have the exact same analogs from the exact same vendor.

Killer8

With all honesty, I think it's on the players. I think most players that suffer from drift are shit players and put too much force on the controller when they get their asses served to them. The only drift I've ever had since PS1 was on PS4 and because it has fallen hard on the analog, not from natural gaming.

Also all Xbox, PS, and Nintendo have the exact same analogs from the exact same vendor.

Is it the badly designed product that's at fault?

season 5 episode 20 GIF

No, it must be the players fault.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is it the badly designed product that's at fault?

season 5 episode 20 GIF

No, it must be the players fault.

If it was common, I should've had it. Some controllers lasted me the whole generation of like 7 years of constant gaming.

I see some players play and I cringe when they get worked up and nearly split the controller in half. It's mostly these guys play or they have these controllers falling all the time on the analogs.

Skifi28

Use doesn't matter all that much. It can happen that a controller lasts for years much like others start drifting within the first month depending on your luck of the draw. If you do your research, alps potentiometers used for analog sticks are crap with an extremely small life expectancy, that's not really debatable.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Stick drift comments have to stop in every possible thread about controller tech.
They will when these companies put effort into dealing with it. Being able to buy new sticks for Sony's premium controller shows they're aware that analog stick wear is a problem so instead of using better sticks they just monetize the problem by selling you more of the ones that suck.

I don't want controllers that change temperature. The way that happens is by turning the electricity stored in the battery into heat and Sony's controllers don't need worse battery life.

Top Bottom