• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Officially Licenses PS5 SSD from Western Digital

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Source for the information that says "980P being overpriced IMO considering it drops speed when stressed" in a PS5.

Where is the data that says it drops speed when stressed when used in a PS5?
The same SSD benchmarks available all over the net show on small bits it holds, once you stress it the SSD slows down.
Thats just how SSDs work, how much stress causes them to slow down depends on the drive and the 980P slows down before the SN850, Fire530 and NEM-PA.
As such i believe it should be priced lower than the competish.

Look at AJA16 results for all the mentioned disks, youll notice the 980P is usually at the bottom.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
United States pricing went from $207.99 to $259.99 directly from Western Digital ... a $52 jump in 1 day :(

Not cool
Huh?
$132.44

And 2TB
$233.99 (without a sale)

Last edited:

50PlusGamer

Neo Member
The same SSD benchmarks available all over the net show on small bits it holds, once you stress it the SSD slows down.
Thats just how SSDs work, how much stress causes them to slow down depends on the drive and the 980P slows down before the SN850, Fire530 and NEM-PA.
As such i believe it should be priced lower than the competish.

Look at AJA16 results for all the mentioned disks, youll notice the 980P is usually at the bottom.

I noticed you didn't post the ones where it was on top. LOL

Look, I'm not Mr. Samsung fanboy or anything. If he Samsung 980 Pro is a lesser product in a PS5 than the Western Digital then I will yank it out and buy the Western Digital.

I read this article before purchasing and no mention of "stress slow downs" although it does mention that the Samsung has a 2G cache vs a 1G cache in the WD.

https://www.gamesradar.com/samsung-980-pro-vs-wd-black-sn850-ps5-ssd/

This article had a lot of load time comparisons and everything looked damn close.

https://nascompares.com/2021/08/13/...uda-530-v-samsung-980-pro-v-sabrent-rocket-4/

However, I didn't see any mention of this "slow on stress" issue.

Another article that talks about the reliability of MLC vs TLD NAND:

https://ssdsphere.com/samsung-980-pro-vs-wd-black-sn850/

Finally, even in the article that appears to be the one you pulled the benchmarks from:

https://thepcenthusiast.com/review-samsung-980-pro-2tb-vs-wd-black-sn850-2tb/

it doesn't appear to mention a "slow on stress" issue. It also, was testing on PCs and not PS5s. They also conclude (like almost all the sites) that there is not really a difference.

So if there is some "slow on stress" issue I want to know about it. I want to read about it. That is the source of information I am asking for. :)

So where is this information so I can research it?

50PlusGamer

Neo Member
Last edited:

Black_Stride

Finally, even in the article that appears to be the one you pulled the benchmarks from:

https://thepcenthusiast.com/review-samsung-980-pro-2tb-vs-wd-black-sn850-2tb/

it doesn't appear to mention a "slow on stress" issue. It also, was testing on PCs and not PS5s. They also conclude (like almost all the sites) that there is not really a difference.

So if there is some "slow on stress" issue I want to know about it. I want to read about it. That is the source of information I am asking for. :)

So where is this information so I can research it?
You read that and didnt notice it missed its and the SN850s write targets in AJA16G by like a gig per second?
AJA16G is a stress test, it got stressed and dropped speed....if you cant understand the article you are reading why bother?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"directly from Western Digital" as I stated in my message and I am referring to 2TB drives because no one would buy a 1 TB when they could get a 2TB LOL

Also the $234 price is WITHOUT heatsink ... curently that is $300.92 on Amazon
Why would you order it directly from WD, and not order off WD's own Amazon store on Amazon at a cheaper price?

Also, you get it without the heatsink and use the superior one here,

IDK what you are arguing, but you seem to be jumping through hoops about pricing. I wonder why? 🤔

kyliethicc

Cerny’s drive is best drive. Knack Daddy expands my slot so gooood :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Pretty sure Sony just waited for the prices to drop before making the SN850 officially licensed.

I‘ve said for years they’d end up doing this, just like they did with a USB HDD for PS4.

And of course it’s over twice as fast and less expensive than the shitty xbox proprietary drive.

50PlusGamer

Neo Member
You read that and didnt notice it missed its and the SN850s write targets in AJA16G by like a gig per second?
AJA16G is a stress test, it got stressed and dropped speed....if you cant understand the article you are reading why bother?

So wait ... you are basing your entire argument on that one graph? and what you read in from it?

Where they conclude:

"In the AJA System test, we can see that the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB is almost neck and neck with the WD Black SN850 2TB in sequential read. However, it falls behind when it comes to sequential write speed; by around 1,000 MB/s. Both drives are faster than the 1st gen Gen4 SSDs"

and let's talk about writes for a second ... Autosaves ... what else is really writing real time during gameplay? Aren't we 99.99% reads when playing. Also, they are talking about sequential writes

Again, this testing was done on PCs and not in a PS5.

50PlusGamer

Neo Member
Why would you order it directly from WD, and not order off WD's own Amazon store on Amazon at a cheaper price?

[/URL]

IDK what you are arguing, but you seem to be jumping through hoops about pricing. I wonder why? 🤔

I'm not arguing about anything. I'm simply stating it was $208 yesterday and $259 today. Currently still cheaper than the Amazon price.

and no I don't want to pay $30 and add some 3rd party heatsink when I can just pay $30 more and get the included heatsink

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not arguing about anything. I'm simply stating it was $208 yesterday and $259 today. Currently still cheaper than the Amazon price.

and no I don't want to pay $30 and add some 3rd party heatsink when I can just pay $30 more and get the included heatsink
Reason being, Prime sales impact.

Also, that is your choice, but the "some third party" heatsink is a proven better solution.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Nice, bought this on prime day yesterday for a steal. Easy to install and works a treat. Lots of games in the backlog. I probably will not buy a game until 2024 in all honesty.

Kevin Garnett Sport GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

GhostOfTsu

Banned

The price difference was only $10 for me with the heatsink. So cheap! No need to wait and mess around with another heatsink 😁

Black_Stride

So wait ... you are basing your entire argument on that one graph? and what you read in from it?

Where they conclude:

"In the AJA System test, we can see that the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB is almost neck and neck with the WD Black SN850 2TB in sequential read. However, it falls behind when it comes to sequential write speed; by around 1,000 MB/s. Both drives are faster than the 1st gen Gen4 SSDs"

and let's talk about writes for a second ... Autosaves ... what else is really writing real time during gameplay? Aren't we 99.99% reads when playing. Also, they are talking about sequential writes

Again, this testing was done on PCs and not in a PS5.
I dont even understand what we are discussing now?
If you read my posts in this thread my entire point is that the SN850, Fire530 and NEM-PA are better drives overall (generally faster) and hold their speeds better under stress than 980Pro which in many cases is more expensive.

Whats your point?
So we can end this quickly.

50PlusGamer

Neo Member
I dont even understand what we are discussing now?
If you read my posts in this thread my entire point is that the SN850, Fire530 and NEM-PA are better drives overall (generally faster) and hold their speeds better under stress than 980Pro which in many cases is more expensive.

Whats your point?
So we can end this quickly.

Fair enough. You looked at 1 graph by one test done on a platform that we are not using it in and determined that the WD kicks ass and the Samsung sucks. LOL

Whereas, I looked at things like real world performance (not just benchmarks), technology used, specs, and even the fact that one of them seems to weigh twice as much as the other one.

Real world performance doesn't seem to prove out that the WD850N is so superior but rather pretty equal.

So we can be done now. :)

Black_Stride

Fair enough. You looked at 1 graph by one test done on a platform that we are not using it in and determined that the WD kicks ass and the Samsung sucks. LOL
Whereas, I looked at things like real world performance (not just benchmarks), technology used, specs, and even the fact that one of them seems to weigh twice as much as the other one.
Real world performance doesn't seem to prove out that the WD850N is so superior but rather pretty equal.

So we can be done now. :)
I take it youll just ignore all my post and make your own conclusions yeah?
At no point have i said the 980P is shit, just that there are better options.

Literally on page 1 explicitly talking about these drives with the PS5:
As is right now any Gen4 drive will be within a second of the internal drive because the PS5 still uses HW compression/decompression so you dont really need to saturate the PCIE4 lanes to match internal speeds.
Even going well below spec the rest of the I/O pipeline picks up the slack.

vRRtSTe.jpg

The SN750 is basically in PCIE3 land.....the SN850 near saturates all available bandwidth of PCIE4x4

Maybe games in the future will really stress I/O forcing the minspec to matter but as is right now no game "requires" that minspec.

50PlusGamer

Neo Member
I take it youll just ignore all my post and make your own conclusions yeah?
At no point have i said the 980P is shit, just that there are better options.

Literally on page 1 explicitly talking about these drives with the PS5:

Don't take things personally. We are talking about SSDs.

My apologies if it appeared as if I was trying to be personal. I'm just talking tech and being colloquial. And I am not trying to put words in your mouth.

We good?

Top Bottom