• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony paid $3.5 million to make ARK: Survival Evolved a March PS Plus game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
ARK 2 has DOM in it
ark2.jpg

this will definitely turn into a movie soon
giphy.gif

1f9c91bed62f4ff9633a6d330658db819bc26df35530fedb6fd38d6294da0d07_1.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
epic-facepalm.gif

J.R. making mistakes as always.

Let me guess, and they do it for the ps4 version, which is one of the worst version along with Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I don't get the gamepass number for Ark 2.
Is that what they are paying to have Ark 1 for a month? for six months? for the whole 3 years?

Because assuming it's a $60 game that seems really low. Even taking away the 30% cut from the vendor $2.3 mill is the equivalent of 55k sales which isn't much for a popular IP. Unless of course the game is full of microtransactions.

We are comparing a little bit of apples to oranges here. PS+ games don't expire so Sony paid 3.5m to have it as a monthly game. Game Pass games are contracted for various lengths. MS spent 2.5m to extend ARK 1 in perpetuity and they also spent 2.3 to bring the sequel to Gamepass for 3 years.

ARK is a $19.99 game. The Ultimate Survivor Edition is $49.99. ARK 2 hasn't released yet. The PS+ version is the base game. The Gamepass version of ARK includes all the DLC from Ark: Survival Evolved's seven-year run.

We are comparing a little bit of apples to oranges here. PS+ games don't expire so Sony paid 3.5m to have it as a monthly game. Game Pass games are contracted for various lengths. MS spent 2.5m to extend ARK 1 in perpetuity and they also spent 2.3 to bring the sequel to Gamepass for 3 years.

ARK is a $19.99 game. The Ultimate Survivor Edition is $49.99. ARK 2 hasn't released yet. The PS+ version is the base game. The Gamepass version of ARK includes all the DLC from Ark: Survival Evolved's seven-year run.

So who had the best deal?

Indies are probably considerably less, these services probably cost less to run than expected, especially when a solid portion of the games are first party so no reoccurring cost.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I wonder how this investment will contribute to the profitability of the PlayStation division

Edit: I can't with a straight face. Seems like a good deal.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

See. Shit does sell. 😆 someone's working away in the background on flogging Duke nukem forever for some stacks.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This can't be real...So Sony paid 3.5 mill for one month VS MS deal?
MS's deal was for several months, but once it's off the service, the user has to purchase the game to continue if they are invested into it with DLC, etc.. A rental.

Sony's gives it to all who added it permanently on their PS+ accounts.

There is no winner or loser, just companies investing into a MTX maker to potentially get their return and then some.

Last edited:
The only AAA day one games that come to gamepass are microsoft published games, so they probably don't have to pay that much to the developers to put them on the service tbh, if anything
Nah they paid for it in development cost. If Halo Infinite development cost was $500 Million, which I think we've debunked, it cost MS/Xbox $500 Million to have it on GP day one... basically.

EDIT: I see ppl keep referencing 2.9 Billion, that's revenue... we don't know what the operating profit/income of GP, yet. Microsoft's revenue in 2021 was $168 Billion and their operating income for 2021 was about $70 Billion.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Man, Ark looks like trash (and plays like it on the base Ps4), but I have a friend that plays it and the community is hardcore. Apparently a lot of people play too.

It might have been worth the money for both sides

Last edited:

Rac3r

Isn't Ark 2 confirmed as a timed Xbox console exclusive? They didn't just "pay to bring it to the service", they also money hatted it. I wonder if that is factored into the $2.3 million.

Sony got fleeced if so.

Topher

Gold Member
FeywQcFWIAIm45u

So Ark devs received $2.5 million for a perpetual license or Ark 1 from Microsoft and they received $3.5 million for Ark 1 from Sony for 5 weeks on PS Plus?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Last edited:
FeywQcFWIAIm45u

So Ark devs received $2.5 million for a perpetual license or Ark 1 from Microsoft and they received $3.5 million for Ark 1 from Sony for 5 weeks on PS Plus?

You get to keep the game with ps plus indefinitely though so its not exactly the same thing. You have a limited window to claim but its yours forever if you do.

With gamepass it eventually leaves the service

Folks on this forum probably don't like it, but the game very likely does gangbuster numbers and leads to a lot of DLC sale.

Why else would both MS and Sony throw millions to keep the game on their services.

I did not realize that the first Ark was as successful as it actually had been. You are right... 😐

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
FeywQcFWIAIm45u

MS's deal was for several months, but once it's off the service, the user has to purchase the game to continue if they are invested into it with DLC, etc.. A rental.

There is no winner or loser, just companies investing into a MTX maker to potentially get their return and then some.

Topher

Gold Member
You get to keep the game with ps plus indefinitely though so its not exactly the same thing. You have a limited window to claim but its yours forever if you do.

Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Ozriel

M$FT

You realize the quoted statement says it was changed to leave it perpetually in Gamepass?

So just like PS+, you get the keep Ark if you’re subbed to GP.

Ark was added in Feb 2022 but still remains on the service, 8 months later. Perpetual license.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Folks on this forum probably don't like it, but the game very likely does gangbuster numbers and leads to a lot of DLC sale.

Why else would both MS and Sony throw millions to keep the game on their services.
I put a ton of hours into it on Steam as my friends and I had a massive fortress

I built my personal base (unknowingly at the time) at one of the beach spawns and every once in a while I would find dead bodies laying on my beach

Turns out new players were spawning in and couldn't get out of my base so had to restart another character and by the time I had it figured out no way I was relocating

They should have made it you couldn't build on spawn points plus lower the timer for tames as early tames were painfully long like hours long

I can't wait for ARK 2

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I put a ton of hours into it on Steam as my friends and I had a massive fortress

I built my personal base (unknowingly at the time) at one of the beach spawns and every once in a while I would find dead bodies laying on my beach

Turns out new players were spawning in and couldn't get out of my base so had to restart another character and by the time I had it figured out no way I was relocating

They should have made it you couldn't build on spawn points plus lower the timer for tames as early tames were painfully long like hours long

I can't wait for ARK 2

To me that sounds exactly like Minecraft. People who are into it, are really into it.

But it's not something that is for me personally.

PSYGN

I can't wait for ARK 2

House arrest

You realize the quoted statement says it was changed to leave it perpetually in Gamepass?

So just like PS+, you get the keep Ark if you’re subbed to GP.

Ark was added in Feb 2022 but still remains on the service, 8 months later. Perpetual license.

Thats on top of what they paid for it before though. The extra 2.5 mill was to extend it into perpetuity not for the entire deal

Ozriel

M$FT
Thats on top of what they paid for it before though. The extra 2.5 mill was to extend it into perpetuity not for the entire deal

Ark: Survival Evolved was added to Gamepass for three years in Jan 2019. The base game only.

MS paid $2.5m to put Ark Ultimate Edition (Base game + all expansions & DLC) in perpetuity starting Feb 2022, so not merely a simple extension.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not my kind of game. These games always have a weird janky budget look to them. The Vin Diesel trailer looked awful. But hey, gamers seem to enjoy the games.

Top Bottom