• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents Gameplay Roulette System

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A few days ago, Sony Interactive Entertainment filed a patent for a “roulette system” that would recommend PlayStation 5 games and other content to users based on their preferences. These preferences would be stored in profiles that track a user’s playing habits. Using the information stored in these profiles, the system would select a group of games matching the player’s preferences, with one title then being picked at random and recommended to the player.

sony-roulette-system-patent.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds stupid, why would they need a roulette as an extra step? Just recommend me the games.

Mr.Phoenix

Sounds stupid, why would they need a roulette as an extra step? Just recommend me the games.
lol, reactionary morning huh?

As far as you are concerned... they are `just` recommending you the games.

The whole preferences roulette thing, is simply what s happening in the background that gets those games recommended you.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I get not reading the content at the link, but you didn't even read the summary? lol. Here's a shorter version.

Your preferences are stored(I assume updated automatically as you play) and recommendations are made based on those preferences. So exactly what you described.

Robb

Gold Member
lol, reactionary morning huh?

As far as you are concerned... they are `just` recommending you the games.

The whole preferences roulette thing, is simply what s happening in the background that gets those games recommended you.
Yeah I get the system and that you’re not supposed to know about it, but what’s the point? If I’ve given them my info and they find recommendations for me based on that info I’d like to get them, not have them locked in some arbitrary roulette wheel that ‘might’ find a game I’ll enjoy.

Had I gotten all the recommendations it’d be more likely I’d find something among them I enjoy.

Your preferences are stored(I assume updated automatically as you play) and recommendations are made based on those preferences. So exactly what you described.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding it then. From what I gathered you only get recommended one single game at random out of several that the system finds.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah I get the system and that you’re not supposed to know about it, but what’s the point? If I’ve given them my info and they find recommendations for me based on that info I’d like to get them, not have them locked in some arbitrary roulette wheel that ‘might’ find a game I’ll enjoy.

Had I gotten all the recommendations it’d be more likely I’d find something among them I enjoy.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding it then. From what I gathered you only get recommended one single game at random out of several that the system finds.
You are definitely making a mountain outta an ant hill.

Your preferences are stored, thing is though those preferences can amount to like 20+ games you may like, this system would make it so they can not just find the stuff you may like, but find the things you may really like based on how much time you spent paying certain stuff (that's what all the timestamps are for).

And since you wouldn't want to see 30+ games on your home screen, this roulette system will select maybe the 2-5 best ones at any given time.

I don't ven know why this is a big deal and needs a patent as I am sure every content provider does this to some degree. My guess is that what makes this different is that it takes more granular data like time spent (TS) and trophies acquired(object ID) to get a better feel of what you are into.

If nothing else...its sure as hell not stupid. Stupid is when I get recommended 10 RPGs just because I played one.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
2-5 best ones at any given time.
Literally says one title in the OP.

Maybe I’m the odd one out but I’d rather take the full list. Why would I want to possibly get recommended 10 games I don’t care about in a row to finally get recommended a 11th that I actually might enjoy when I could’ve gotten that recommended from the get go?

But you do you.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Literally says one title in the OP.

Maybe I’m the odd one out but I’d rather take the full list. Why would I want to possibly get recommended 10 games I don’t care about in a row to finally get recommended a 11th that I actually might enjoy when I could’ve gotten that recommended from the get go?

But you do you.
And that was just an example... it cod be one title at a time... or whenever you go back to your home screen you see a new but different title....etc.

In a day, you may get 10 game recommendations. If you ask me, this s just to reduce clutter and maximize exposure, you are likey to notice it when its just the one game on your XMB than like 10 games cluttering your screen.

Top Bottom