• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents 'Video Game Inventory Coach' to Help Indecisive Players with Inventory Management

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The patent describes an AI mechanic/assistant that might finally bring an end to the phenomenon of players refusing to use items or resources collected during gameplay out of fear of using it at the wrong time, and subsequently finishing the game without having ever used it. It can suggest items a player doesn’t have but might want to find given their play style or what other players have used in similar situations. If the AI coach finds that a player has at least one similar characteristic in common with other players, it will generate a suggestion based on the outcomes of previous player choices. For instance, if the AI notices a lot of players get stuck on an enemy but found that adding an attribute like poison to a weapon helps players get past the enemy, the AI will suggest an item that has or imbues poison.

The AI will also consider player approach to various situations. If a player is given a myriad of options on how to approach an enemy, it will figure out the player’s favorite approach, say stealthily back-stabbing an enemy or maybe using ranged magical attacks, and adjust suggestions accordingly to better suit individual play style. The advantage here would be in encouraging the player to deeply explore their chosen play style rather than tossing out suggestions for alternate play styles that the player might not be interested in.

2023-01-27-12_33_25-window.png
2023-01-27-13_49_43-window.png

feynoob

Banned
During my time, we used to shuffle through bad items in order to get the good items.

Kids these days are going to have easier time.

Also, are we going to have auto pilot in the future?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s proper ways to use inventory this seems extreme. For whatever reason gamers are aware to save health for boss fights

Very condescending and unneccessary, i'd rather just play the game without having some AI make decisions for me. This better not be mandatory.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Using Items is for weaklings!
I share this philosophy, and I will finish the game with every usable, helpful item I have picked up in my inventory 😤

I'm only partly joking. Having someone to remind me I have an item would be nice - Playing Devil May Cry so much has made me believe that using items lowers my rank in every game

Last edited:
Providing suggestions and recommendations isn't making "decisions" for you.
I don't buy games so they can play itself. I don't want the game coddling me and telling me what I should do I would rather figure that out myself.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think it's a good idea, like having a sidekick or the main characters giving you hints in case you get stuck in a puzzle or something like that.

But obviously if done when needed, when you're stuck or missed something. In recent titles like Horizon Forbidden West or God of War Ragnarok they were too anyoing with these hints showing them too early, telling you how to solve a puzzle sometimes even just before you saw it, spoiling it.

Instead of that, they should give you enough time to see it, think it and try stuff. And then once you fail enough, give you a subtle hint and wait to see if you figure it out before giving you the spoiler.

Also, I think that they should add an option to disable and/or tone them down. I think they should take note and fix it before implementing it also in the inventory. If implemented properly, I think it can be very positive, reducing the percentage of players who quit a game because they got stuck or found it's too difficult but because they missed something.

hinch7

As someone who's awful at sorting items in games.. And regularly hits the limit of bag space all the time. This would be quite good if done right.

Granted it can be turned on and off this is a pretty neat idea.

reinking

Gold Member
They should. They already have share play to have a human assist. Why not come up with an AI that can do it? I can see it helping younger (or old ass) players get past a frustrating area of a game. I would rather they get assistance than quit playing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
During my time, we used to shuffle through bad items in order to get the good items.

Kids these days are going to have easier time.

Nintendo already has that, in their Mario games at least. If you are awful enough the game will just finish the level for you.

Are they really trying to solve a problem of bad game design with AI?

Aren't games already giga dumbe drown enough?

I understand a lot of boomers plays games nowdays but it's getting ridiculous... The "I'm a father of 35 and work 48 hours a day so I am incapable of learning gaming mechanics that 8 years old learn in few minutes" is starting to affect games even more.

I simple don't get how people have so much trouble playing videogames, maybe they are somewhat challenged ?

Last edited:
While I'm not interested in it at all personally, this isn't intended for the type of person that spends time on video game message boards, it's for more mainstream/casual gamers.

Also, let's not pretend that the vast majority of us have never looked up gameplay tips or a boss guide. Is having those things built into the game really so much worse? Assuming of course it's optional, or some kind of "press X for hint" kind of thing.

Miles708

Inventory management is a stupid concept to begin with, and an ai patent won't make it any less stupid.

I don't want to be a warehouse worker in my games thank you very much.

ReBurn

Gold Member
can they give me one that does all of the boring crafting and skill tree selections for me so I can focus on just playing the game? Or better yet just take that crap out?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Considering Sony is the leader in games having characters flat out telling the player how to solve puzzles (GOW, Horizon) this is more par-for-the-course stuff.

Gaming for babies

This will help the types who make themselves suffer during the entire game, feel the need to save everything for the final boss, and end up not using anything anyway for that boss. I don't think I've ever encountered a final boss in a game where I've absolutely needed all of my different items all at once to beat it. It would be an extremely broken boss and would piss people off.

I'm wondering when all these patents are going to be implemented.
When it happens, it will be so subtle that you won't realize it. Only GAF makes them overblown.

Top Bottom