• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures Classics first to use PlayStations 'dreams' to build CG world

yurinka

Seems they are making an animation CG movie mixing stuff made with Dreams and real actors as John Malkovich:

Sony Pictures Classics has taken North America, Latin America, Middle East, Scandinavia, Australia/New Zealand, Turkey, India, South Africa, Southeast Asia, Japan, Thailand rights and global airlines to Alex Helfrecht’s animated movie A Winter’s Journey.

Set in Bavaria in 1812, A Winter’s Journey follows an itinerant lovelorn poet who undertakes a hazardous walk across mountains, ice, and snow – a journey which will bring either death or a new life.

Painted by the animation artists behind the Oscar-nominated Loving Vincent, A Winter’s Journey is a romantic and epic tale which blends live action with CG and painted animation. The world of the film is the first to be built using PlayStation’s “Dreams”, developed by PlayStation Studios’ multiple-BAFTA-winning games studio Media Molecule. The pic is an adaptation of Franz Schubert’s timeless masterpiece “Winterreise”, the most performed classical song cycle in the world.

The cast includes John Malkovich, Jason Isaacs, Marcin Czarnik (Son of Saul, Sunset), Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald), Martina Gedeck (The Lives of Others) and introduces Gabriella Moran.

A Winter’s Journey is produced by Jörg Tittel and Philip Munger at London-based Oiffy, along with Sean Bobbitt and Hugh Welchman through their Poland-based BreakThru Films, Reinhard Brundig at Germany-based Pandora Film (Only Lovers Left Alive), Benoît Roland’s Wrong Men North in Belgium, Raphaël Berdugo and Alexis Perrin in France, and Richard Mansell. Sebastien Barrillier and Yann Duboux are EPs. Shooting begins in June in Wrocław, Poland.

The soundtrack will be performed by baritone Andrè Schuen and pianist Daniel Heide and released by Deutsche Grammophon.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/sony-p...-animated-movie-a-winters-journey-1234917160/

P.S.: I obviously was joking with the 'reaction', please don't ban me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Um...

Suspicious Family Matters GIF

... OK...

boomcrab

Neat idea. I for one really loved Dreams and this just seems like another route for its potential. I'm really hoping for a ps5 re-release maybe once psvr2 drops. It's been interesting seeing creators wrap ups on twitter with hour time exceeding my entire year just for this one game. Dreams will have its day!! I'm confident!
.....one day

Ceadeus

Neat idea. I for one really loved Dreams and this just seems like another route for its potential. I'm really hoping for a ps5 re-release maybe once psvr2 drops. It's been interesting seeing creators wrap ups on twitter with hour time exceeding my entire year just for this one game. Dreams will have its day!! I'm confident!
.....one day
Is Dreams any better on PS5 yet? I'm curious about it

boomcrab

Is Dreams any better on PS5 yet? I'm curious about it
I guess just a 60 fps update for the games ui. I'd really love to see much more of an overhaul in the future though. If you dont have it yet you could find it for like 10$ fairly easily, and it's totally worth it.

Ceadeus

I guess just a 60 fps update for the games ui. I'd really love to see much more of an overhaul in the future though. If you dont have it yet you could find it for like 10$ fairly easily, and it's totally worth it.
Ok thanks, I'll probably grab it later today. They might update it further once PSVR2 is announced.

Amiga

Dreams is bigger that PlayStation. It could be a Minecraft level thing. Sony should set it free. The biggest community for this type of thing is on PC.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me what this sentence means?

Sony Pictures Classics has taken North America, Latin America, Middle East, Scandinavia, Australia/New Zealand, Turkey, India, South Africa, Southeast Asia, Japan, Thailand rights and global airlines to Alex Helfrecht’s animated movie A Winter’s Journey.

Sony has "taken the rights" to all those regions? And what do airlines have to do with it? What does any of this mean?!

Also, I didn't know Dreams still existed. Or rather, I was wondering if it had been dropped or what's going on. There's no PS5 version right?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Come on Sony, I want game studios not movie studios FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

vivftp

Dreams has a 10+ year plan so we're still early days. More than likely we'll see things like a PC release, proper PS5 version. PSVR2 support, and they'll give content creators the ability to export their creations and sell them on PSN.

Media Molecule have been growing quite a bit so I wouldn't be surprised to see a "relaunch" of Dreams as big new milestones are announced.

Top Bottom