• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures says Uncharted Movie is a "New Hit Movie Franchise"

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
YIXCr8f.png

Wow....just like that.

Kevin Spacey 90S GIF

Take care, @ethomaz
Honestly I think it was time.
That or the dude just needed to find a way to keep anything Xbox off his keyboard.
Theres warrioring and then theres ethomaz he was another level even by GAF standards.
I was "this" close to putting him on ignore....twas gonna be the first time I ever used the ignore feature.

MScarpa

Personally I thought the casting was all wrong. Watched it yesterday, was exactly what I thought it would be. Meh, not terrible, not the best. Just another big budget movie with popular actors and big action sequences.

I wish they would have maybe made it a little more gritty and dark. Again, just my opinion. I'll forget all about it by next week.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just finished it.

It's a pretty fun light-hearted action film with some really cool fight/action scenes. Odd casting choices, yes, but I feel like this was a sort of "prequel" where the characters weren't really fleshed out. It felt a lot more like the Uncharted we know and love towards the very end of the film.

I am very hopeful that the sequels will be a lot more like the games.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Honestly I think it was time.
That or the dude just needed to find a way to keep anything Xbox off his keyboard.
Theres warrioring and then theres ethomaz he was another level even by GAF standards.
I was "this" close to putting him on ignore....twas gonna be the first time I ever used the ignore feature.
Legend in his own mind.

Loved the “I only enter sales threads nonsense “ as if he was an authority and would set the record straight with insider knowledge.

I will kind of miss him though.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
As a massive fan of the series, on my 3rd play through ffs of the entire series.. this film was the biggest pile of shite I've watched in a long time, I had such high hopes then they where slightly dashed with the casting, then the trailers looked okish but man what a fucking shit show of a movie, maybe it works as a standalone generic action adventure but as an Uncharted film it's woefully generic and incredibly miscast... Fuck me they better pull a videogame sequel and make number 2 outfuckingstanding as this first one is completely forgettable... Still can't believe they fucked it up so badly

MastaKiiLA

Just finished it. I loved it. Full disclosure, I'm a bit of a Tom Holland stan. I first saw him in The Impossible (Thai tsunami movie), when he was like 15, and have been a fan since then. So that will shade my opinion somewhat. Anyway, here's my take on the film:
  • This felt like a modern day Indiana Jones. Blasphemous as that sounds, I'm not going to say it's on the level of the gold standards, Temple and Raiders. That would be silly of me. However, I do think it is definitely a cut above Crusade and Crystal Skulls. Like, a significant step above those 2. It had the globe-trotting, the humor, the great chemistry between the protags, and great set pieces.
  • As an origin story, this is excellent. This spent time building the relationship between Drake and Sully. It built up the Chloe's character and her relationship to the leads. It established Drake and Sully's skillsets, as well as the dynamic that exists between career thieves.
  • Tom Holland was great. I don't know how anyone can complain about lack of physicality. We've seen this dude tumbling before, so next to Tom Cruise, he might be the best mainstream actor capable of pulling off the parkour this flick required. I also thought he got in incredible shape for this film, even more than for the Spidey flicks. Tom Holland did his thing in this. He played this role like a happier version of his character from The Devil All The Time, which I thought was a good mix. For Drake's origin, this was perfect. He's just finding his footing in the big heist game, and is still pining for his brother, so I thought the way he portrayed a young Drake was excellent. By the end of the movie, we see a more confident Drake that will carry over to the next movies. This performance is what I was hoping for from him. He sold the action sequences, but still made the character relatable in the dialogue scenes.
  • Mark Wahlberg killed it as Sully. My favorite part of this movie TBH. I know some will compare him to the game Sully, but I think this movie showed us clearly that his relationship with Drake changed him, and for the better. He was a selfish prick before meeting Drake, and meeting someone he could trust made him a better person. I think Mark killed it. I'm not a huge Wahlberg fan, but I also don't have any prejudices against him. I also thought he was an excellent casting for an origin story, because we get to see him involved in some of the action, and it works. Mark Wahlberg can definitely pull off the physicality, as he's a gym rat. I also have a bit of a soft spot for the Boston towny, so I loved the chemistry between him and Tom. If you watched their interview with Desus and Mero, you can tell that these dudes are totally comfortable with each other. These 2 leads were cast perfectly. You don't need to look like the character (which is a fucking idiotic expectation, unless the characters were designed around the actors), you need to sell the story of the character. You cant tell me that Mark and Tom don't get along like legit pals in this film.
  • The action set pieces were very good. Not great...and certainly not the best, but this is top-notch stuff. Sony spent money well. They didn't go with a massive CG sploogefest. They had a nice mix of practical effects with CG. Ironically, the scene that convinced me the least might have been Tom swinging from the chandelier in the auction house, and only because the transition to the ground at the end looked clumsy. Other than that though, this matched my expectations for a video game movie.
I'm totally looking forward to the sequel. Sully has his mustache and Hawaiian shirt. Drake has his confidence and first game t-shirt. Everything is in place now to pick up the story from where the games began. They can change things, since treasure hunting storylines don't need to be clones to be exciting. However, I don't mind if they continue to blend in elements from the games. I think Sony hit a homerun here. My gf and I were laughing thoughout this film, and had a couple "oh" moments during the set pieces. I only ever played (and beat multiple times) the first PS game. Yeah, I never played another UC after that, but only due to circumstances. However, what I remember from that first game was shining through towards the end of the film, as Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 noted. As an origin story, I can't think of a better opening chapter than this. They brought something fun, developed the characters way better than what we got before UC1, and setup enough intrigue to bring me back for a sequel. Well done, Sony!

I watched it the other day. It was terrible. I actually laughed at the bit where Mark whalberg was pretenting to be an employee and they went to arrest that woman. Her martial arts was the worst Ive ever seen in a move. She did the slowest and most effortless leg swoop.

DJ12

I enjoyed it, a good ride if not spectacular.

Will definitely watch the sequels, not much in the Indian Jones genre these days so all entries welcome.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I did watched yesterday, not terrible but it also is not a masterpiece. I saw 2 references to naughty dog.

Somethings were a bit off in the movie and needed tweaking. The final action sequence was too much...that it was more than clear it was an adaptation by a video game.

MastaKiiLA

I did watched yesterday, not terrible but it also is not a masterpiece. I saw 2 references to naughty dog.

Somethings were a bit off in the movie and needed tweaking. The final action sequence was too much...that it was more than clear it was an adaptation by a video game.
The last action sequence did stand out for being much larger than the others. It's a good and bad thing IMO. You want to end an origin with a bang, to build hype for the sequel, but it was a significantly larger set piece than anything else in the film. I can tolerate it, because it followed the story. It's not like the events that occurred were out of place. Sully had already noted the immense value of the ships themselves (no shit Magellan's ships would carry a huge asking price), so flying them out of the cave made sense. Which then lead to the massive skirmish. But it didn't draw in any additional character or resources than we knew were already on hand. After all, the film started with the scene right before the end.

I'm curious to know what you thought needed tweaking. I agree with you that it was not a masterpiece, but I did think it was a great movie. It might be a lack of big-budget content in the genre, but I've been waiting for something like this for a while. National Treasure had the intrigue of the treasure maps and puzzles, but it lacked the action sequences. That's why I think I enjoyed this so much. I love the National Treasure movies, but as an Indiana Jones fan, I think the action sequences totally sell the good vs. bad storyline that inevitably exists between what are essentially 2 (or more) sets of thieves. Getting the story from one side doesn't change that fact that both sides are essentially doing the same thing, looking for treasure. So I enjoyed that the action sequences give you a little bit extra to cheer for, and like Indiana Jones, puts the protagonists at a disadvantage in order to solicit support from the audience.

My previous post reads slightly hyperbolic now, but I stand by my admiration for the film. I legit can't think of another good treasure hunting film like this since National Treasure 2. But as I noted for those films, they lacked this action of Uncharted. That's what vaults UC into the Indy territory IMO. Like the Jolie Croft flicks, it's important to pit your scavengers against a more formidable opponent to keep the audience from realizing what the protagonists really are...grave robbers.

EDIT: Sorry, flying the ships out of the cave did NOT make sense. If they really thought Drake and Sully had grabbed loot and fled, then they should have considered a much more reasonable extraction process, like mounting the ships on inflatable pontoons, and floating them out of the shallow cave. Flying was super-extra, but definitely setup a nice set piece.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
The last action sequence did stand out for being much larger than the others. It's a good and bad thing IMO. You want to end an origin with a bang, to build hype for the sequel, but it was a significantly larger set piece than anything else in the film. I can tolerate it, because it followed the story. It's not like the events that occurred were out of place. Sully had already noted the immense value of the ships themselves (no shit Magellan's ships would carry a huge asking price), so flying them out of the cave made sense. Which then lead to the massive skirmish. But it didn't draw in any additional character or resources than we knew were already on hand. After all, the film started with the scene right before the end.

I'm curious to know what you thought needed tweaking. I agree with you that it was not a masterpiece, but I did think it was a great movie. It might be a lack of big-budget content in the genre, but I've been waiting for something like this for a while. National Treasure had the intrigue of the treasure maps and puzzles, but it lacked the action sequences. That's why I think I enjoyed this so much. I love the National Treasure movies, but as an Indiana Jones fan, I think the action sequences totally sell the good vs. bad storyline that inevitably exists between what are essentially 2 (or more) sets of thieves. Getting the story from one side doesn't change that fact that both sides are essentially doing the same thing, looking for treasure. So I enjoyed that the action sequences give you a little bit extra to cheer for, and like Indiana Jones, puts the protagonists at a disadvantage in order to solicit support from the audience.

My previous post reads slightly hyperbolic now, but I stand by my admiration for the film. I legit can't think of another good treasure hunting film like this since National Treasure 2. But as I noted for those films, they lacked this action of Uncharted. That's why vaults UC into the Indy territory IMO. Like the Jolie Croft flicks, it's important to pit your scavengers against a more formidable opponent to keep the audience from realizing what the protagonists really are...grave robbers.
One of my main problems is I think they talked too fast and too little about the treasure and it's background. The theme was more than obvious, no honor among thieves ahaha. I think the
"oh the brother is dead, let's hire Nate because he might him some clues given by his brother"
was a lazy plot device.
I though the comedic moments were good, specially
with the Scottish guy
ahaha

Hopefully next movie goes deeper into the Chloe's character and fixes some minor issues this one had.

Finally saw the movie, as an adventure movie, it was nice. It does not break anything but was a nice weekend movie.

I bet if it was not called "Uncharted" and was kind of a copy with a different name a lot of people would be saying this is the uncharted movie we wanted (except for the actors).

Hope for a sequel.

MastaKiiLA

One of my main problems is I think they talked too fast and too little about the treasure and it's background. The theme was more than obvious, no honor among thieves ahaha. I think the
"oh the brother is dead, let's hire Nate because he might him some clues given by his brother"
was a lazy plot device.
I though the comedic moments were good, specially
with the Scottish guy
ahaha

Hopefully next movie goes deeper into the Chloe's character and fixes some minor issues this one had.
Ah, I agree about the lazy plot device on the character motivation. I think there could have been more explaining about the importance/significance of Magellan's treasure, but not sure what I would've sacrificed to add it. Maybe just add another 5 minute to the runtime. It's already a 2hr movie anyway. Good points.
There’s a reason why the uncharted movie was a success it’s the actors.
Cheers! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the actors sold this movie. Not just their brands, but also the performances were good. Arguably one of the best performances put in by either actor. I think some credit goes to both the writers, and the director on this. Ruben Fleischer is a pretty good director, given his resume. Combine that with competent writing, and I think you can launch just about any franchise.

I don't know about you guys, but based on this film, I'm really eager to see who they cast as Kratos for the inevitable GOW films. Call me crazy, but either Jason Mamoa or The Rock as Kratos would absolutely slay. Mamoa is my top choice. Dave Bautista as my fallback.

Alright…So I finally watched this. I quite enjoyed it, the part with Nolan North had me smiling ear to ear. Tom Holland is a decent Nate, surprisingly. And I didn’t hate Mark Wahlberg as Sully as much as I was expecting to! I liked it!

I think it was a decent introduction into the series, and it has potential. We’ll see I guess.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Just finished it. I loved it. Full disclosure, I'm a bit of a Tom Holland stan. I first saw him in The Impossible (Thai tsunami movie), when he was like 15, and have been a fan since then. So that will shade my opinion somewhat. Anyway, here's my take on the film:
  • This felt like a modern day Indiana Jones. Blasphemous as that sounds, I'm not going to say it's on the level of the gold standards, Temple and Raiders. That would be silly of me. However, I do think it is definitely a cut above Crusade and Crystal Skulls. Like, a significant step above those 2. It had the globe-trotting, the humor, the great chemistry between the protags, and great set pieces.
  • As an origin story, this is excellent. This spent time building the relationship between Drake and Sully. It built up the Chloe's character and her relationship to the leads. It established Drake and Sully's skillsets, as well as the dynamic that exists between career thieves.
  • Tom Holland was great. I don't know how anyone can complain about lack of physicality. We've seen this dude tumbling before, so next to Tom Cruise, he might be the best mainstream actor capable of pulling off the parkour this flick required. I also thought he got in incredible shape for this film, even more than for the Spidey flicks. Tom Holland did his thing in this. He played this role like a happier version of his character from The Devil All The Time, which I thought was a good mix. For Drake's origin, this was perfect. He's just finding his footing in the big heist game, and is still pining for his brother, so I thought the way he portrayed a young Drake was excellent. By the end of the movie, we see a more confident Drake that will carry over to the next movies. This performance is what I was hoping for from him. He sold the action sequences, but still made the character relatable in the dialogue scenes.
  • Mark Wahlberg killed it as Sully. My favorite part of this movie TBH. I know some will compare him to the game Sully, but I think this movie showed us clearly that his relationship with Drake changed him, and for the better. He was a selfish prick before meeting Drake, and meeting someone he could trust made him a better person. I think Mark killed it. I'm not a huge Wahlberg fan, but I also don't have any prejudices against him. I also thought he was an excellent casting for an origin story, because we get to see him involved in some of the action, and it works. Mark Wahlberg can definitely pull off the physicality, as he's a gym rat. I also have a bit of a soft spot for the Boston towny, so I loved the chemistry between him and Tom. If you watched their interview with Desus and Mero, you can tell that these dudes are totally comfortable with each other. These 2 leads were cast perfectly. You don't need to look like the character (which is a fucking idiotic expectation, unless the characters were designed around the actors), you need to sell the story of the character. You cant tell me that Mark and Tom don't get along like legit pals in this film.
  • The action set pieces were very good. Not great...and certainly not the best, but this is top-notch stuff. Sony spent money well. They didn't go with a massive CG sploogefest. They had a nice mix of practical effects with CG. Ironically, the scene that convinced me the least might have been Tom swinging from the chandelier in the auction house, and only because the transition to the ground at the end looked clumsy. Other than that though, this matched my expectations for a video game movie.
I'm totally looking forward to the sequel. Sully has his mustache and Hawaiian shirt. Drake has his confidence and first game t-shirt. Everything is in place now to pick up the story from where the games began. They can change things, since treasure hunting storylines don't need to be clones to be exciting. However, I don't mind if they continue to blend in elements from the games. I think Sony hit a homerun here. My gf and I were laughing thoughout this film, and had a couple "oh" moments during the set pieces. I only ever played (and beat multiple times) the first PS game. Yeah, I never played another UC after that, but only due to circumstances. However, what I remember from that first game was shining through towards the end of the film, as Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 noted. As an origin story, I can't think of a better opening chapter than this. They brought something fun, developed the characters way better than what we got before UC1, and setup enough intrigue to bring me back for a sequel. Well done, Sony!

Hmm, you may have sold me on it. Something about what I've seen so far felt so, I don't know, lazy mid-2000's adaptation material. But your impression actually sounds like the kind of action movie I enjoy.

demon souls movie next.

I know people say this as a joke but a demon’s souls movie in the vain of Dread could actually be good. Maybe the “speaking” roll is that of the fire keeper.

Just straight up stuck in a big ass dungeon the lead has to fight their way through for the entire movie.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I watched it recently and enjoyed it. I like action flicks like that. It’s a shame they incorporated plot points from all 4 games and came out with some half cut bastardised plot. The sequel potential is not looking good, from a true to lore perspective. Personally I wish they’d just done a movie based on U1 and gone from there.

Nico_D

Tom Holland is one of those actors who shouldn't be nowhere near the status he currently is. No charisma and not much acting skills either - unless he has done something masterful which I haven't seen.

That happens in every business, I just don't understand how.

Tom Holland is one of those actors who shouldn't be nowhere near the status he currently is. No charisma and not much acting skills either - unless he has done something masterful which I haven't seen.

And somehow his movies earns millions and billions (spider man) of dollars

Unknown?

They save money by not having to hire a stunt actor.

Top Bottom