• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 5 price increase has not yet impacted consumer demand

Pelta88

"This cost hike hasn't deterred gamers, though, and Sony indicates that consumers are still very eager to buy PS5 hardware. In fact, Sony highlighted that the PS5 sold 100,000 units in just 17.5 hours in the US, but this region wasn't affected by the price hike."

100.000 Units in 17.5 hours?

200w.gif

Last edited:
i still don't understand why people are desperate for a PS5. anyway here the price rise is an extra £30. if you have £450 to spend on a gaming console in the current financial climate then what's an extra £30? i don't think sony should've raised prices and i'm by no means defending them but a £30 hike is not going to stop people who seem to be absolutely choking to get hold of a PS5.

i'm not buying a PS5 until we get a PS5 Slim, there are games that interest me, and while i'd like a price drop it doesn't seem like that's happening any time soon. i can afford to pay £480 for a PS5 but i'd get better use of my money by setting it on fire than buying a PS5 right now. i want games to play and a console that isn't a fucking eye sore to look at.

edit: and before i get branded an xbox fanboy. i am also waiting for a slim Series X, more games, and a price drop.

Last edited:
i still don't understand why people are desperate for a PS5. anyway here the price rise is an extra £30. if you have £450 to spend on a gaming console in the current financial climate then what's an extra £30? i don't think sony should've raised prices and i'm by no means defending them but a £30 hike is not going to stop people who seem to be absolutely choking to get hold of a PS5.

i'm not buying a PS5 until we get a PS5 Slim, there are games that interest me, and while i'd like a price drop it doesn't seem like that's happening any time soon. i can afford to pay £480 for a PS5 but i'd get better use of my money by setting it on fire than buying a PS5 right now. i want games to play and a console that isn't a fucking eye sore to look at.

edit: and before i get branded an xbox fanboy. i am also waiting for a slim Series X, more games, and a price drop.

Making a decision to buy a console based upon how it looks is like buying a hooker based upon her IQ.

Making a decision to buy a console based upon how it looks is like buying a hooker based upon her IQ.
the looks are secondary. if PS5 had games i wanted to play then i'd buy it. i'd deal with how it looks. i'd stick it behind my TV or something. almost 2 years in to this generation i think it's fair to hold off and hope we get a slimmed down version. i'm in no rush to get either console so if i'm waiting another year i'll happily wait that long.

edit: i also thought the launch PS3 was ugly as fuck but it had games i wanted so i bought that ASAP.

Last edited:
the looks are secondary. if PS5 had games i wanted to play then i'd buy it. i'd deal with how it looks. i'd stick it behind my TV or something. almost 2 years in to this generation i think it's fair to hold off and hope we get a slimmed down version. i'm in no rush to get either console so if i'm waiting another year i'll happily wait that long.

We are getting a GOTY candidate next week. There's been plenty of games to play over the past few years since launch.

I would not get your hopes up for a significant slim revision anytime soon.

We are getting a GOTY candidate next week. There's been plenty of games to play over the past few years since launch.

I would not get your hopes up for a significant slim revision anytime soon.
yeah im not interested in god of war. if i had a PS5 today the only game i'd buy is Demons Souls. i've bought every PS console at launch except for 5 so i'm not hating. PS5 really hasn't released anything that interest me. the only game i bought was Horizon Forbidden West and that was on PS4. if i were into God of War it's not like i need a PS5 to play it. i could play it on my PS4.

well i guess i won't be buying a PS5 anytime soon. the only upcoming game i want to play is FFVII Part 2 so if there is no slim model by the time that comes out i will get a PS5. or i could wait for the inevitable PC port. if still no PS5 Slim then i will get it on PC.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned

edit: i also thought the launch PS3 was ugly as fuck but it had games i wanted so i bought that ASAP.
Here you go again with the same type of posts shitting on the PS5. How it's ugly, there's nothing to play and you don't understand why people want it.

How many times you're going to repeat yourself? Yesterday you were crying because the mods warned you but you can't control yourself. You have to let us know you don't want a PS5 every chance you get. We get it.

Enough already.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, I really wanted them to release a more powerful $599 console because i knew that people would buy it anyway. times have changed since 2006. People are willing to spend hundreds if not a thousand dollars on phones every two years. Kids spend more on fortnite skins than we did on games back in the day. Adults sub to have random women send them nudes. They spend $400 on iwatch. $200 on ear buds. $30 on breakfast that looks like this.

pgnqZ1s.jpg

they wouldve spent $599 for a $15-20 tflops console.

GHG

Gold Member
Remember when buying a console at launch was called foolish becuase prices would go down?

If you want something and have the money just buy it.

I don't get what people like to wait for, life's too short to not enjoy it how you want to provided you have the means to.

Yeah, I really wanted them to release a more powerful $599 console because i knew that people would buy it anyway. times have changed since 2006. People are willing to spend hundreds if not a thousand dollars on phones every two years. Kids spend more on fortnite skins than we did on games back in the day. Adults sub to have random women send them nudes. They spend $400 on iwatch. $200 on ear buds. $30 on breakfast that looks like this.

pgnqZ1s.jpg

The same clowns that complained about the price hikes are about to start throwing money away on a monthly basis in order to maintain a blue tick on twitter. It's hilarious to witness.

Last edited:
People are starving for these systems especially PlayStation. Since they couldn't get one that has caused even more demand, even with the price hike. People will come if there is high quality and will normally pay the price no matter what.

Caffeine

idk i couldnt buy one before an now the price is higher and im sitting here like ill buy one when its 299.

pgnqZ1s.jpg

Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage post if you're okay ....

reinking

Gold Member
After seeing people almost gleefully defending the price increase I realized corporate mindshare is a new form of tribalism. Nothing will deter fans from their tribe on either sides.
People were not "gleefully" defending. They were defending that in the current environment the price increase would not be a dealbreaker. Unfortunately people that are sensitive to console wars can't see a middle ground and exaggerate any point that does not go along with their agenda.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

pgnqZ1s.jpg

I would have easily dropped $1000 on a 20 TF console and not blink an eye (and still would on a pro version)

This post kind of describes me buying a new IPhone every other year but dropped $800 on the new Ultra watch and for sure don't subscribe to women sending me nudes

I have always worked very hard to be in the spot in my life that makes spending money on stuff like this a non issue for me

Iced Arcade

"Sony highlighted that the PS5 sold 100,000 units in just 17.5 hours in the US, but this region wasn't affected by the price hike."

god love Sony's always weird flexing (MS has weird ass flexing too so keep tits calm)

Last edited:
Nah Nintendo have proven time and time again they can get away with what they want.

Exactly, so if Nintendo thought that raising the switch price 50 dollars and the oled 50 dollars would net them more profits they would have done it. Nintendo aren’t shy about about being profit driven. They aren’t keeping prices stagnant for the sake of being kind. If anything the switch should have gotten a price drop already

They aren’t doing it because they know their hardware is long past it’s prime and they need to position whatever the new model is as being more premium at 399.99

Last edited:
was just now at the local Gamestop and they have all the systems in stock. Series s and x and PS5, oled switches.
Guy was trading in his old ps4 for a ps5.
first time Ive seen them on the shelf.

Sony highlighted that the PS5 sold 100,000 units in just 17.5 hours in the US, but this region wasn't affected by the price hike."

LMAO!!!!

Does it really matter? They're at 25 million right now and most of those are outside of the U.S.

Look at the latest charts in Japan, where there was a price hike, yet they just had their best week yet thanks to increased supply (AFAIK). Doing really well in UK, also where there was a price increase.

If the demand is there, people will pay for it, especially if it's just a small price increase considering how many other things have gone up in price lately. Even Microsoft are suggesting Series consoles will increase in price next year. It is what it is.

Puscifer

Gold Member
I mean you're bundling it with games that are 70 bucks at that point people don't feel like they're getting ripped off so it only makes sense why it hasn't impacted anything.

Mr Moose

I mean you're bundling it with games that are 70 bucks at that point people don't feel like they're getting ripped off so it only makes sense why it hasn't impacted anything.
Bundles cost extra.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
Bundles cost extra.

Yeah in a different country. They're 549.99 in the US and have been bundled with Horizon, COD or MWII

Top Bottom