• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PlayStation |OT| All Things PlayStation, No Limits

Celcius

°Temp. member
Can you still download games youve purchased from PSN on a PS3 today?
Yes

Also, do you guys know how long after PS4 came out that Sony stopped selling DualShock 3's?
I'm just wondering how much longer they're going to have tons of DualShock 4's in stores.

Mr Hyde

Installed a new 1TB SSD in my PS3. It didn't make much of a difference in downloading and installing, but it's a huge, HUGE, improvement when it comes to UI, booting games and load times and browsing the store. Everything feels snappy and moves fast, especially the store, which was the slowest piece of shit I've ever navigated through. It's also nice to have more internal storage. Since I started to buy and download all the remaining games in the store out of fear of Sony closing it, I was almost out of space with the original 320gb. Only got a couple of more classics to acquire then I'm set.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Installed a new 1TB SSD in my PS3. It didn't make much of a difference in downloading and installing, but it's a huge, HUGE, improvement when it comes to UI, booting games and load times and browsing the store. Everything feels snappy and moves fast, especially the store, which was the slowest piece of shit I've ever navigated through. It's also nice to have more internal storage. Since I started to buy and download all the remaining games in the store out of fear of Sony closing it, I was almost out of space with the original 320gb. Only got a couple of more classics to acquire then I'm set.
Tell me how it's working out. I want to fire mine up but both controls are damaged. I can't justify dropping over $40 on Sony brand controls on two controls so long since the release. I've had an itch to replay the ICO & Shadow of the Colossus remasters.

Mr Hyde

Tell me how it's working out. I want to fire mine up but both controls are damaged. I can't justify dropping over $40 on Sony brand controls on two controls so long since the release. I've had an itch to replay the ICO & Shadow of the Colossus remasters.

Yeah, sure. So far it's been working out just fine. Almost done re-downloading everything from the store. Gonna try out some discs and play around over the weekend. The new SSD is very silent. You can't hear the PS3 working and huffing like it did with the mechanical hard drive 😃 If you do decide to fire up your PS3 again (which I think you should, PS3 is very durable and lasts forever if you take care of it, at least the Slim-model) and your controllers are toast I recommend Retro Fighters defender Bluetooth edition. Just ordered one because I don't like the Dualshock 3. It's a bit pricey, 50 bucks, but it's more modern and durable, with six axis and Bluetooth connection.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah, sure. So far it's been working out just fine. Almost done re-downloading everything from the store. Gonna try out some discs and play around over the weekend. The new SSD is very silent. You can't hear the PS3 working and huffing like it did with the mechanical hard drive 😃 If you do decide to fire up your PS3 again (which I think you should, PS3 is very durable and lasts forever if you take care of it, at least the Slim-model) and your controllers are toast I recommend Retro Fighters defender Bluetooth edition. Just ordered one because I don't like the Dualshock 3. It's a bit pricey, 50 bucks, but it's more modern and durable, with six axis and Bluetooth connection.
I'll check around for hard drives as it probably wouldn't hurt to format at minimum. Since the PS3s launch, I've owned the OG model (not the early one with BC but the 60gig just after it), the Slim and now embarrassingly enough...super slim (which really isn't that slim). That's right, the one I have at my current resident is that last model PS3 with the sliding disc door. Thanks so much for the recommendation on the controls. I didn't want to go Sony brand necessarily for the replacement either due to the battery age in those. I mean, one of the failed controllers was just that; it went through two batteries before I realized it was time to throw it into my supply cabinet. The other had extreme drift which even upon a few repair attempts would just revert back. This is nothing against Sony controls though. I mean, nearly every wireless control I've owned seems to get mild drift. Most are fixable (especially PowerA or other 3rd-party brands I've toyed around with).

Mr Hyde

I'll check around for hard drives as it probably wouldn't hurt to format at minimum.

I had to format my drive to FAT32, in case you didn't know. Apparently PS3 doesn't recognize the newer formats, like ex-FAT or NTFS. Besides that, switching out the drive is very simple. Actually never thought about it since I checked a video from YouTube where they recommended it. It makes the PS3 a little bit more modern 😊

Thanks so much for the recommendation on the controls. I didn't want to go Sony brand necessarily for the replacement either due to the battery age in those. I mean, one of the failed controllers was just that; it went through two batteries before I realized it was time to throw it into my supply cabinet. The other had extreme drift which even upon a few repair attempts would just revert back. This is nothing against Sony controls though. I mean, nearly every wireless control I've owned seems to get mild drift. Most are fixable (especially PowerA or other 3rd-party brands I've toyed around with).

Same here. I've gone through three Dualshock 3s, one with faulty sticks, and two with dying batteries. I also don't like the form factor, I think they are too small, especially after I fell in love with Dualsense, which I think is Sonys best controller to date. I can't believe how I stood out with DS3 for the entire PS3-generation. Retro Fighters however are of great quality. They provide other controllers too for retro gaming, such as for Dreamcast or OG Xbox if you're into that.

Jimmy_liv

On my PS5, I've set my kid up with a child account. She's 11.

It's blocking her from playing a lot of games- Tekken 8 demo for eg.

I'm trying to work out how to remove these restrictions but under the age of profile it won't let me change them.

Is there really no way to change these apart from deleting the profile and starting again - thus losing any purchases made on her account in the process???

This seems utterly ridiculous.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
On my PS5, I've set my kid up with a child account. She's 11.

It's blocking her from playing a lot of games- Tekken 8 demo for eg.

I'm trying to work out how to remove these restrictions but under the age of profile it won't let me change them.

Is there really no way to change these apart from deleting the profile and starting again - thus losing any purchases made on her account in the process???

This seems utterly ridiculous.
Sole things can't change but maybe you can reduce the limitations? Never got that problem so I can't really help you. I hope that the link will be enough.

Jimmy_liv

Sole things can't change but maybe you can reduce the limitations? Never got that problem so I can't really help you. I hope that the link will be enough.
So no, it goes off your age when you first register which you can't change and so to remove the age restrictions I need to set her up with a brand new account and lose the purchases and saves. Never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life!

Last edited:

DonF

I have the physical ps4 version of cyberpunk, and I own a ps5. I put the disc in to play the digital ps5 version, but I still have the ps4 version on the main interface, and the things tries to install the ps4 version every time I put the disc back in.

Is this normal behaviour, can i do something about it. I hate it D:

Sleepwalker

I have the physical ps4 version of cyberpunk, and I own a ps5. I put the disc in to play the digital ps5 version, but I still have the ps4 version on the main interface, and the things tries to install the ps4 version every time I put the disc back in.

Is this normal behaviour, can i do something about it. I hate it D:

It's normal, just pause the installation.

SIEJA is best SIE.

PS Studios Japan also finally coming back with ROTR 2 years after GT7. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
On a side note; I wish this OT was active as the Era one, probably one of the few good things on that forum.

They really are! :D

And yeah, the OT here is sadly deserted, while the one over on the purple forum is very active.
The other good thing they have there is the PS5 performance (backwards compatibility) thread which has been very useful for me in the past.
Other than than that, meh, I vastly prefer GAF. :p

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Can someone with a Slim tell me if their console, when positioned horizontally, kinda leans laterally if nudged? I think the plastic stands I got were cut wrong or don't fit correctly. Or is it normal? The console also slides around when I press the eject button (etc).

graywolf323

Gold Member
my PS5 has been running incredibly slow recently 😕 as in the OS itself just crawling, trying to pull up a game can take forever and I’ve both cleared the system cache & rebuilt the database but that only proved to be a temporary fix that lasted minutes

has anyone else experienced this? I’m gonna restore it to factory settings next in a hope to fix it (just taking forever to back up screenshots and what not)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
my PS5 has been running incredibly slow recently 😕 as in the OS itself just crawling, trying to pull up a game can take forever and I’ve both cleared the system cache & rebuilt the database but that only proved to be a temporary fix that lasted minutes

has anyone else experienced this? I’m gonna restore it to factory settings next in a hope to fix it (just taking forever to back up screenshots and what not)

Sounds like your SSD may be on the fritz. Try restoring database and worse comes to worse, a full clean refresh.

Mr Hyde

Finally got my Retro Fighters Defender for PS3. It's the wireless BT edition with Six axis support. Took 5 weeks to get it, felt like eternity.

ooE3uUb.jpg

So now I got a brand new controller that's pure bliss to play with and a brand new 1TB SSD installed. I've also purchased almost everything I want from the store. I only need Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Bounty Hunter, and Suikoden 3 & 4 and then I don't have to worry about Sony closing shop.

PS3 gaming has never been better.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Noticed a bunch of installed games in my library had locks on them, figured I would try to restore licenses to see if that fixed it.

yytS1VH.jpg

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

Top Bottom