• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation Plus Reaches 7.9 Million Subscribers

M.D

Sony reveals current subscription service numbers, plans to bring PlayStation to Chinese market next year

In the past, Sony has been cagey about just how many PlayStation Plus subscribers it has. But in a post-earnings conference call with overseas investors today, Sony executives confirmed that the PS Plus service has reached 7.9 million members.

It's unclear exactly how many of those subscribers are PlayStation 4 owners, but earlier this year Sony CEO Kaz Hirai said approximately half of the new console's owners had signed up. The PS Plus service is required for online multiplayer in most PS4 games (free-to-play titles being one exception), but also gives users access to an assortment of free downloadable games, discounts, and cloud storage for game saves. PlayStation 3, PlayStation TV, and/or PlayStation Vita owners can get those same perks, with the exception of online multiplayer, which is already free on those platforms.

Elsewhere in the call, Sony's representatives referenced the Game and Network Service division's strong performance for the recent quarter, saying the launches of FIFA 15 and Destiny helped build momentum that they hope to carry into the holiday season. They also discussed plans to entire the Chinese market, saying they are "seriously evaluating the game business" there, and plan to enter the market early next year. While they acknowledged Microsoft has already launched Xbox One in the country, Sony is taking a "cautious, step-by-step" approach in light of China's powerful regulatory agencies.

gamesindustry - PlayStation Plus reaches 7.9 million members

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time we get numbers about Playstation Plus subscribers

For comparison, there are about 17 million Gold subscribers (not sure if it includes Xbox One owners as well?)

Edit: Ahhh, the website is banned it seems. did not know that.

I'm trying to find the quote in the earnings call audio file on the Sony website

Edit 2:

Thanks to Brendan Sinclair for the source and the article

BigDug13

I don't really see how there would be very many additional Gold subscribers who own XBO's that weren't already Gold members on 360.

Kinda crazy that PS+ is already at around half Gold subscription numbers. I'm sure that trend is worrying for MS and that's why things like Games with Gold is getting slowly beefed up.

I don't really see how there would be very many additional Gold subscribers who own XBO's that weren't already Gold members on 360.

Kinda crazy that PS+ is already at around half Gold subscription numbers.

Not that surprising now that it's mandatory for online play.

AngryMoth

Didn't they say it doubled with the launch of destiny? Must have been a small number in the PS3 days, gives a bit more context to the pay walling multiplayer decision.

That's a lot of money coming their way, hopefully they can fix the problems people have with PSN.

We can only hope.

PS+'s main draw was the included monthly games before it was required to play online. They're still including those games thus paying those developers with at least some of the PS+ money.

BigDug13

Not that surprising now that it's mandatory for online play.

It kinda is. Looking at it from "mandatory in order to play games online" standpoint: There are 80 million 360's and 17 million Gold subs. There are 10-13 million PS4's and 7.9 million PS+ subs. That's quite a drastic attach rate difference in premium subs. Not sure how many are paying for PS+ who are just PS3 or Vita owners, since that sub is not needed for online.

Dualshockers is banned, but the news from there are cited and legit.

It's really only when they make news stories out of "insiders", especially around the time of E3 that they get on a slippery slope.

Loris146

Don't tell me this is derp?

Sony is holding its earnings call for overseas investors and analysts with Chief Financial Officer Kenichiro Yoshida, Senior Vice President Hiroki Totoki and Corporate Control Department General Manager Kazuhiko Takeda.

During the call Yoshida-san explained that PlayStation Plus has now reached 7.9 million subscribers even thanks to the momentum following the launch of of Destiny by Activision and FIFA 15 by Electronic Arts.

Earning call by Sony.

And they are about to lose a PS+ subscriber in about 2 weeks. I'll come back when games I'm interested in are free or a PS4 exclusive with good MP comes out.

Thats a lot of undelivered Driveclubs....

I got it around 3 months ago and I have been pretty happy with it, even though its mostly indies, its usually quality Indies and not throwaways.

Kill3r7

Good for Sony given how good a value PS+ has been over the last couple of years. That said, the number seems kind of low when you consider it is across 3 platforms (PS4, PS3 and Vita) and it is now basically mandatory for MP online play on PS4.

400$ million a year. :eek: I hope they put some of that money towards 1st & 2nd party games, so we get more games from that department compared to last generation. Of course as others mentioned, hire more people for the PSN team and UI/UX team.

BigDug13

Oh ok, was pretty sure it was just for Gold. My bad.

It was Gold, Silver, and also included all the Games for Windows Live accounts that were also Silver. So yeah, it wasn't even close to the mark. It seems like 17 million is around the right figure for Gold.

Kinda explains why there is less AAA content on plus these days.

Giving your game away free to potentially 7.9 million people? Even I have to balk at that a bit.

Storm360

Now they should invest some of that money into improving the service, PSN has been declining in quality since the PS4 came out, and the IGC is laughable now

BigDug13

Kinda explains why there is less AAA content on plus these days.

Giving your game away free to potentially 7.9 million people? Even I have to balk at that a bit.

I'm sure the PS4 selling like hotcakes is what turned Driveclub full game on PS+ into Driveclub partial game on PS+ and now seems to be Driveclub NO game on PS+. :p

Jimrpg

I loved the service until the last few months of nothing...

going to use the last six months of my plus membership to play Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Dragon's Dogma, Catherine, Muramasa Rebirth and Metal Gear Revengeance.

on the whole its been worth it. i think the best way is to subscribe monthly and play those games for that month.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's a decent bang for buck service, and I only use it for my Vita.

That being said, locking MP behind it is the obvious reason for the huge growth the last year obviously.

gatti-man

Yes take that money and invest in better infrastructure. Psn has been terrible lately. Messaging is a joke even looking up names can take forever.

I'm sure the PS4 selling like hotcakes is what turned Driveclub full game on PS+ into Driveclub partial game on PS+ and now seems to be Driveclub NO game on PS+. :p

lol.

But in all seriousness, i am worried publishers are going to look at these numbers and really be concerned.

That said, if they put a game up on plus just before the sequel comes out it would be a more effective marketing startegy than anything else.

Duxxy3

Mine ended last month and I couldn't justify any longer, not just as a PS3 owner. The game selection for IGC has been (for me) very weak this year. That probably has more to do with the slowing down of PS3/360 development more than anything.

Even without the pay for online on PS4 I still feel like I would be a subscriber today but I am sure there are others that view it differently.

Top Bottom