• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation Plus Reaches 7.9 Million Subscribers

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Now how about letting us read PSN messages when it says we received one.. that would be gr8

Wynnebeck

Banned
And they are about to lose a PS+ subscriber in about 2 weeks. I'll come back when games I'm interested in are free or a PS4 exclusive with good MP comes out.

Uh ok? Some of the comments in here lol.

Åesop;136819873 said:
Now how about letting us read PSN messages when it says we received one.. that would be gr8

That just came with Update 2.0. Keep up darling.

spwolf

8 million is crazy number.... $400m per year.

And people talking about upgrading PSN, in all the investor documents, they keep writing how game business is not (as) profitable due to big investments in PSN.

aaronwt

8 million is crazy number.... $400m per year.

And people talking about upgrading PSN, in all the investor documents, they keep writing how game business is not (as) profitable due to big investments in PSN.
Does anyone actually pay $50 a year for PS+? I know I don't. I paid around $30. And I have never paid more than $35 a year for Xbox Live even though the retail price is $60 now.

I buy PS+ and XBL when they are on sale and get several years worth at one time.

spwolf

Does anyone actually pay $50 a year for PS+? I know I don't. I paid around $30. And I have never paid more than $35 a year for Xbox Live even though the retail price is $60 now.

I buy PS+ and XBL when they are on sale and get several years worth at one time.

most people pay normal price... and you paid years in advance in any case :)

plus, it is more expensive outside the US.

Yup. During black friday i paid 20 bucks for a year. Will do the same again this November.

395,000,000 a year if that number holds

I'm sure it will only increase throughout the gen.

How many subscribers were there for the PS3?

So, I'm looking for the source of this information. Even though I listened this entire 49 minutes webcast I wasn't able to catch the moment where Sony reveal the PS+ numbers. Anyone got the moment ? Maybe the author of the story if he's checking here.

I know Games Industry reported the story, but I'm not sure if they listened to the earning calls themselves of if they took the story on the banned site.

Didn't listen to the call but according to Seeking Alpha the number was revealed by Sony's CFO Kenichiro Yoshida

Kenichiro Yoshida - Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President, Representative Corporate Executive Officer, Director, Member of Nominating Committee and Member of Compensation Committee

As for the momentum of the Game business. Well, I think the -- I think that the largest driver of the Game momentum is actually a software title, particularly in September, we released -- there is a release by Activison of a title named Destiny as well as FIFA. And those 2 titles enhanced the momentum quite significantly. At the same time, the PS4, excuse me, PS Plus subscriber number has reached to 7.9 million members. That's the second question. And the last one is China. As for the China, again, in China, we are currently seriously evaluating our Game business in China and we plan to enter into the market in the early next year. And as we understand already, Microsoft is doing business in China. And we are following that in, after the Microsoft. And since the Chinese business is quite a regulated business, we are taking quite a cautious step-by-step approach in China. As for the Alibaba, I have no comment. We understand that we have communication in the Pictures side, but as far as the Game business, I don't know if there's any communication with Alibaba.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2623715-sony-sne-q2-2015-results-earnings-call-transcript

Maybe you just missed it.

mekes

Subscribers are up, quality of games being offered goes down.

I'm seeing a troubling trend here.

Lets hope that this is an issue with the console still being in its initial 'launch' kind of period. PS3 times were great for PS Plus, I'm pretty confident we will get some retail games offered in the service soon. Personally I've bought a lot of games, so it will probably be something that I already own.

For me the main issue is the network service. It shouldn't go down like it does, it makes me wonder exactly how much money they spend on maintaining and improving it. How it has been is no good for long time subscribers, nor new subscribers now that it is a paid service for multiplayer. Its poor for a paid service and doesn't represent something that should cost the end user any money when you look at that aspect of the service alone.

Lets hope that this is an issue with the console still being in its initial 'launch' kind of period. PS3 times were great for PS Plus, I'm pretty confident we will get some retail games offered in the service soon. Personally I've bought a lot of games, so it will probably be something that I already own.

For me the main issue is the network service. It shouldn't go down like it does, it makes me wonder exactly how much money they spend on maintaining and improving it. How it has been is no good for long time subscribers, nor new subscribers now that it is a paid service for multiplayer. Its poor for a paid service and doesn't represent something that should cost the end user any money when you look at that aspect of the service alone.
The thing is Vita and Ps3 offerings are bad too , if its only ps4 then its reasonable.

Zakalwe

Banned
A few seconds is 'ages'? Goalposts moved, etc.

A lot of messages still take many minutes to be received, sometimes hours, from the point you get the iniitial notification. Some come through instantly, but that's rare.

It's completely inconsistent.

Lemondish

This is a lot of sudden growth and infrastructure upgrades take time. I'm hopeful that we'll see a better service in the next 2 months.

Many messages still take minutes to be received, sometimes hours, from the point you get the iniitial notification. Some come through instantly, but that's rare.

It's completely inconsistent.

Here is some more inconsistency. I always receive messages and invites almost instantly. I've been rather lucky.

Anybody know the percentage of PS4 owners with PS+?

Well, putting up multiplayer paywalls works, if that was ever in question. The real question for me is - how long until the price goes up? That' got to be a serious temptation when you've got such a captive audience.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Christ that must have been a tiny number on PS3. Because even now that seems lowish.

When you combine Vita/PS4/PS3 you have an install base of around 100 million or more?

You give free games and only get 8 million to pay? Lucky they locked multiplayer behind the paywall.

Rising_Hei

There's something wrong with people if they think a that PS+ giving a doped version of The Binding of Isaac isn't awesome...

dh4niel

Pretty sure a lot of that money goes towards securing new games for the service and maintaining the service. Sony really need to invest in the server side though.

People forget that Microsoft has being doing online a Gen before Sony and Sony were giving away online for free.

PS+ is mandatory on PS4 so it'll keep growing for sure. Now Sony shouldn't play with people who paid for a certain service because patience has its limits.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The thing is Vita and Ps3 offerings are bad too , if its only ps4 then its reasonable.
In what universe are the Vita offerings bad? Vita had been ridiculously good for Plus in recent months. It's insane. PS3 quality has taken a nosedive, but Vita is fantastic and PS4 is pretty damn good too.

Consoles sold = good
PlayStation Plus = good
First party AAA timeframes = poor

Sony must try much harder.

i dont get it

they have released Knack, Killzone, Infamous, MBL : The Show, DriveClub, LBP3, TLOU : Remastered in the first year.

Microsoft has created Forza, Forza Horizon 2 and MCC for the X1.
What was Nintendo's first party output in Year 1 of the Wii U? New Super Mario Bros?

Don't get why anyone even tries to complain about Sony's output and you never again see them say anything about the others

There's something wrong with people if they think a that PS+ giving a doped version of The Binding of Isaac isn't awesome...
Ps4 still getting indie games is fine. Itd be nice to get knack or shadowfall but whatever im not going to complain about that. Its the other selections i have a problem with. As a pc gamer getting indie games for my ps3 and vita is very, well, redundant.

Conduit

Banned
i dont get it

they have released Knack, Killzone, Infamous, MBL : The Show, DriveClub, LBP3, TLOU : Remastered in the first year.

Microsoft has created Forza, Forza Horizon 2 and MCC for the X1.
What was Nintendo's first party output in Year 1 of the Wii U? New Super Mario Bros?

Don't get why anyone even tries to complain about Sony's output and you never again see them say anything about the others

You know, PS4 has no gamez! :rolleyes:

SDCowboy

I can't believe how few people have their consoles connected to the internet (in terms of being able to play online) in 2014.

Though I personally rarely have problems with PSN (I've only had two instances of PSN inconveniencing me this year), I really hope Sony is working on improvements. It would be great knowing that I'm playing on a stable network.

PS+ has been great this year. I'm a big fan of indie games so getting a constant stream of free indies has kept me entertained all year.

Overall I've been happy with PS+ :)

yurinka

I'm really with PSPlus, I have played a ton of great games for a great price. I think it's a great deal, all the players should get it specially if they own both 3 systems like me.

I thought the number would be higher, to be honest.

Top Bottom