• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pulse 3D Headset - is the 3D that good or kind of a con?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I think the 3D audio really depends on the implementation by the developer and how much production has went in to the audio effects.

Demons Souls remake, the first time I booted that up with headphones it blew my ears away, the dragon screeching, the clank of swords falling. It is incredible.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think the 3D audio really depends on the implementation by the developer and how much production has went in to the audio effects.

Demons Souls remake, the first time I booted that up with headphones it blew my ears away, the dragon screeching, the clank of swords falling. It is incredible.
Were the Pulse headsets better than any other good stereo headsets?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Were the Pulse headsets better than any other good stereo headsets?
I’m not sure, I just got them with my PS5 at launch and they have been decent under pretty much daily use for an hour or two a day for the last few years.

I have zero complaints but I know they’re a budget headset. I’m sure if I spent hundreds on astros or something I may be able to tell the difference but for me these are fine for my “casual” use.

FrankWza

We have to when we are comparing headsets.
If the circumstances are vastly different a comparison is pointless.

Thats the whole point of benchmarking, you make all else equal for a fair comparison.
Then it isn’t a fair comparison. The way you are connecting is an important part of an audio comparison. Especially with headphones since they all show impedance ratings that directly changes sound based on the source it’s connected to.

I have these headphones and they dont get NEARLY loud enough. Ragnarok sounds super quiet. Anyone else have the same issue?
Maybe turn down the volume for chat in game.
Btw i don't feel the pulse 3d comfortable at all. Wear that in 1 hour and my neck already feel tired.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have these headphones and they dont get NEARLY loud enough. Ragnarok sounds super quiet. Anyone else have the same issue?
Turn off 3D audio and try again. Also use the preset in the video I linked above. See if it makes a difference.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
feynoob feynoob VERY busy playing every corner of GOW:R at Give me God of War difficulty which has been massively nerfed vs GOW 2018. Or maybe more level-balanced?

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Been using these for last hour or so just messing about with those EQ settings I think it’s something to do with the L R separation on the Pulse headset that the others can’t replicate , the directional audio is very good. They are definitely tuned to the PS5 and Tempest.

FrankWza

Turn off 3D audio and try again. Also use the preset in the video I linked above. See if it makes a difference.
That’s a good video. Sadly, people don’t want to even take those few small steps to make their audio better and then turn around and blame Tempest or downplay it. And that’s just a sample of what you can do. If you connect optical devices you open up a crazy amount of different setups and options you can have. Plus, every dualsense has a mic and mute button included which really adds to your available headphones options.
Also, he’s using the front USB port and a lot of times the wireless headphones that use dongles don’t play as well connected to back.

rofif

Banned
Been using these for last hour or so just messing about with those EQ settings I think it’s something to do with the L R separation on the Pulse headset that the others can’t replicate , the directional audio is very good. They are definitely tuned to the PS5 and Tempest.
The drivers inside are angled and quite far away. Maybe that's why?
I've noticed it is quite open sounding.
And another thing is that i's not sealing your ears (like when you can hear your heartbeat), so makes em feel more open?

What EQ setting do you like? Shame it doesn't store on the headset since I use it on pc too

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I get it. Life is too busy here.
Wish I had distraction too.

I might make a thorough review with zero spoilers when I beat the game, like 1-2 weeks from now.

Life can be tough, but keep on pushing!

bCgKfJsLwxWWjXak7KhwBb.jpg

Kerotan

I have a pulse 3D which cost 100 and a penrose headset that cost nearly 300. Penrose much better but for the price I'm happy with the pulse 3d. When the Penrose battery run's out I use the pulse 3d ande it's a good back. Also when I walk around the house listening to music or chatting the pulse 3d has a far superior WiFi range.

TrebleShot

The drivers inside are angled and quite far away. Maybe that's why?
I've noticed it is quite open sounding.
And another thing is that i's not sealing your ears (like when you can hear your heartbeat), so makes em feel more open?

What EQ setting do you like? Shame it doesn't store on the headset since I use it on pc too
So I am using the “Mid” EQ correction from the video posted in this thread.

Bass: +1
Low: -3
Mid: -2
High: +4
Treble: +3

Give it a go

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So I am using the “Mid” EQ correction from the video posted in this thread.

Bass: +1
Low: -3
Mid: -2
High: +4
Treble: +3

Give it a go
3d Audio on or off?

That’s a good video. Sadly, people don’t want to even take those few small steps to make their audio better and then turn around and blame Tempest or downplay it. And that’s just a sample of what you can do. If you connect optical devices you open up a crazy amount of different setups and options you can have. Plus, every dualsense has a mic and mute button included which really adds to your available headphones options.
Also, he’s using the front USB port and a lot of times the wireless headphones that use dongles don’t play as well connected to back.
I also use the front port. I will try the rear one and report back.

Valonquar

There's practically zero size adjustments for this headset. After gaming for like an hour it feels like you've been wearing a vice on your head.

DonJorginho

Banned
Sold this headset recently, hands down one of the worst set of cans I've ever worn, the sound quality is fine enough and I like the hands free mic and the aesthetics of the headset matching the console itself but it's got no ways to adjust itself on the user's head so it's often an uncomfortable mess after gaming for longer than half an hour.

Also the mic quality is downright awful given the price and the headset itself feels cheap and has woeful ear cups.

I'm glad I sold my set and purchased a great set of HyperX Cloud Alphas and they are absolutely superb.

kikii

myself those feel lil weird and sound is lil echo maybe cuz of that 3D? i use alltime Arctis 5 when im on comp which is like 100% of my time, but other wise Pulse is okee =)

The 3D effect is weak, and will remain so, until they scan your ears.

I will probably sell mine, and used my old PS4 Astro headphones.

I have to say they have given me ZERO problems.

MacReady13

I've used the Pulse for about a year now. It works really well with the PS5. Highly recommended if you want an affordable headset.
I agree. I picked one up about 2 weeks ago and I find them to be really good. Hearing the surround sound within the headsets is a great experience! Not too sure how much better those headsets are that are double or triple their price, but the Pulse headsets are fine by me.

rofif

Banned
This thing is on sale for $70 on the PS Direct store. Free shipping.

Pretty good deal id say.

Yeah good deal. Same price now for black week deal at media markt.
Haha I've paid 120usd after hunting for it for 2 week 2 years ago. Shit was hard to find :p
Now there is choice of colors and cheap price. I was really hoping they would offer new earpads and fabric earpads. This thing is clip on, seems like it was made to be detachable

Last edited:
I just bought the Sony Inzone H9 from a Black Week offer for 249€.

I've been using the Playstation Platinum headset until now. Let's see ( HEAR HAHAHAH) how the H9 sound like.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I like my pair. I've had them since launch basically. I actually used them for work for a while until I could a dedicated work set.

I think they sound pretty good in game. Nice clean sound. The 3d audio I've never noticed but i live in an apartment so it sound like a good stereo

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I have 2 pairs, bought one from amazon warehouse and the dongle didn't come in the box so they issued a refund and told me to keep them. Bought another pair so I have a wired one and a wireless one lol. I really like em.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I like my pair. I've had them since launch basically. I actually used them for work for a while until I could a dedicated work set.

I think they sound pretty good in game. Nice clean sound. The 3d audio I've never noticed but i live in an apartment so it sound like a good stereo
I noticed some very nice 3D audio immediately with Gran Turismo 7. Very awesome.

Top Bottom