• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pulse 3D vs. Xbox Wireless Headset

pasterpl

So the new Xbox Wireless Headset was released, and most of the reviews are quite positive;

IGN calls the headset “a solid workhorse, thanks to a couple of really smart design ideas and better than average sound,” but adds that its microphone and battery life are “underwhelming”.

Windows Central gives it four stars out of five, concluding: “This headset has an impressive feature set for its price, with decent audio across the board. For those who seek a $99 option that combines Bluetooth and Xbox Wireless, there probably isn’t a better-value option on the market right now.”

The Verge says it’s a “mic drop moment”, even saying it betters the PS5 equivalent. “If Microsoft is to be judged compared to Sony on how well it designed a headset to accompany its latest consoles — as it inevitably will be — this one handily edges out the Pulse 3D even though they’re the same price,” it states.

“Sony’s model is comfortable and looks equally dashing next to the console it was made for, and it has a 3.5mm headphone jack and 3D Audio support in its court. But it’s tough to compete with the Bluetooth support and button-lite design built into Microsoft’s model.”

GamesRadar awards the headset four and a half stars, concluding that “you won’t find a more rounded gaming headset on Xbox Series X for such a low price. The detailed soundscape and almost obscenely good bass boost options have something for all game types and the directional surround sound and mic are exceptional at this price point for online gaming.”

TechRadar is even more glowing, rating it 5/5 and stating that “a new standard has been set”, calling it “an exceptional gaming headset that’s brimming with features and clever design decisions”.

CNN praises the fact it lets users connect to both your game and your phone at the same time, saying: “With immersive gaming sound, a wonderfully comfortable design and a reliable microphone, the $99 Xbox Wireless Headset would be an easy recommendation even without its extra features.

“But its ability to pair to your Xbox and phone at the same time really puts it over the edge, turning Microsoft’s headset into a device that makes it easy to take calls or catch up on podcasts while you grind out some Gears of War.”

But I know that everyone is asking; how it compares with Sony Pulse 3D headset?

Xbox Wireless Headset vs. Pulse 3D Wireless Headset: Specs compared​

Xbox Wireless HeadsetPulse 3D Wireless Headset
Price (MSRP)$99.99$99.99
Weight11.0 ounces10.4 ounces
Battery life15 hours12 hours
Supported systemsXbox Series X, Xbox Series S (USB receiver); Windows, macOS, iOS, Android (Bluetooth)PS5, PS4 (USB receiver); PSVR, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android (3.5mm)
Special featuresNoise-cancelling microphone, Dolby Atmos, DTS Headphone:X, Windows Sonic, mic monitoringNoise-cancelling microphone, Sony Tempest, mic monitoring

The Verge says it’s a “mic drop moment”, even saying it betters the PS5 equivalent. “If Microsoft is to be judged compared to Sony on how well it designed a headset to accompany its latest consoles — as it inevitably will be — this one handily edges out the Pulse 3D even though they’re the same price,” it states.

“Sony’s model is comfortable and looks equally dashing next to the console it was made for, and it has a 3.5mm headphone jack and 3D Audio support in its court. But it’s tough to compete with the Bluetooth support and button-lite design built into Microsoft’s model.”

For a baseline comparison, this Xbox option sounds miles better than the other $99 "official console" currently on store shelves, the PlayStation Pulse 3D Wireless Headset. That's not much of a feat; Sony's 2020 headset is one of the flattest frequency-burying headsets I've ever tested.

I am just sad that Amazon delayed my pre-order delivery :(

Concern

Headphone wars

war GIF

reksveks

For a baseline comparison, this Xbox option sounds miles better than the other $99 "official console" currently on store shelves, the PlayStation Pulse 3D Wireless Headset. That's not much of a feat; Sony's 2020 headset is one of the flattest frequency-burying headsets I've ever tested.
Going to keep my Bose around a bit longer and then just limit the Xbox headset to PC and Xbox.

Robins

I think these comparisons aren't much good. They are both designed to work best with their own platforms.

One thing to note though under supported systems on the pulse 3D headset. You can use the usb receiver on windows for wireless use both for audio and the mic, it's plug and play.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Actually, in the thread for this particular headset we began discussing Sony’s headsets and the overall headset situation with 2 relatively new next gen consoles and all. The complaints started almost immediately because Sony headsets were brought up.
Also, is this USB adapter for use with x console? I thought it used their proprietary lossy format?

Concern

Good if you're on a budget, it's never going to beat a good set of arctis (I have wireless pro).

Arctis? Never heard of those. What is the number one brand atm? Astros, TB, Artcis, or something else?

I have to go pick these up after work. Really wanted some wireless ones for the xbox. My Platinum only works wired on it.

CamHostage

I think these comparisons aren't much good. They are both designed to work best with their own platforms.

Well, they could have worked on each other, and there's AFAIK not much in either one that makes them "3D Headsets" (both are stereo headsets, it's the console that does all the work of the 3D positional sound work and then it modulates it for 2 speakers) so they should conceivably have sounded as good as they are when matched or mismatched to the console and headset of your choice, but...

One thing to note though under supported systems on the pulse 3D headset. You can use the usb receiver on windows for wireless use both for audio and the mic, it's plug and play.

...for those looking to mismatch consoles/headphones (I was wondering about it when I was comparing the feature set, since they're the same price,) you can't use the Pulse 3D's USB headset wirelessly on an Xbox because the Xbox Series does not support USB Audio output, and you cannot use the Xbox Wireless wirelessly on a PlayStation because PS5 does not support Bluetooth audio in/out.

There are workaround and wiring solutions or whatnot on both (headphone amps can bridge the gap,) but both console makers have arcane limiters in what basic standards they support. So boo for that.

Here's a fun thing to note though under supported systems: Nintendo Switch! Nintendo supports USB Audio out/in, like PlayStations do, so it should essentially be as compatible as any other USB Audio headset. (The kid in the linked video says something about muffled audio and that he can't change the volume, not sure why?)

Also, is this USB adapter for use with x console? I thought it used their proprietary lossy format?

The PS5 headset has a USB adapter (even for PS5 use, also for PC and ,) the Xbox one uses the Xbox Series wireless protocol and does not have a USB adapter.

I don't think either has a specific codec assigned to the audio output format?

Xbox supports most standard spatialized sound formats (because the console does; I don't know that the headphones have any specific processors for sound formats, I assume it's all converted in the audio processing/file transfer process?), and 3D Pulse doesn't list any spatialized sound standards (because the PS5 doesn't list those as all of its focus is on the Tempest Audio 3D processing hoopla) but you can output Dolby Atmos and Dolby Headphones and all that stuff to 3D Pulse (...same as you can any free pair of airline headphones, BTW.)

“Sony’s model is comfortable and looks equally dashing next to the console it was made for, and it has a 3.5mm headphone jack and 3D Audio support in its court. But it’s tough to compete with the Bluetooth support and button-lite design built into Microsoft’s model.” TomsGuide

I wouldn't personally count Bluetooth support as a very strong "plus" for the Xbox Wireless Headset. It's a Bluetooth 4.2 (A2DP, HFP, HSP) device, and it's only supported codec is SBC. Not AptX, not AAC, certainly not Sony's LDAC, and obviously not the emerging Bluetooth 5.2 LE Audio LC3 (which you can hear the difference of in this online Bluetooth Audio Codec Demonstration.) I guess you could say that most Bluetooth users don't care about audio quality or they wouldn't be using Bluetooth in the first place (especially pairing with a PC; your phone probably has every feature and benefit of BT 5/5.1 but Windows and Mac have pretty danky BT functions,) but you could do much better if Bluetooth is an important bulletpoint in a person's shopping guide.

Buy the Xbox headset if that's what you want for your Xbox, but if you're specifically interested in a multifunctional device for both Xbox and Bluetooth headset use, you might want to shop for something else IMO.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Well, they could have worked on each other, and there's AFAIK not much in either one that makes them "3D Headsets" (both are stereo headsets, it's the console that does all the work of the 3D positional sound work and then it modulates it for 2 speakers) so they should conceivably have sounded as good as they are when matched or mismatched to the console and headset of your choice, but...

...for those looking to mismatch consoles/headphones (I was wondering about it when I was comparing the feature set, since they're the same price,) you can't use the Pulse 3D's USB headset wirelessly on an Xbox because the Xbox Series does not support USB Audio output, and you cannot use the Xbox Wireless wirelessly on a PlayStation because PS5 does not support Bluetooth audio in/out.

There are workaround and wiring solutions or whatnot on both (headphone amps can bridge the gap,) but both console makers have arcane limiters in what basic standards they support. So boo for that.

Here's a fun thing to note though under supported systems: Nintendo Switch! Nintendo supports USB Audio out/in, like PlayStations do, so it should essentially be as compatible as any other USB Audio headset. (The kid in the linked video says something about muffled audio and that he can't change the volume, not sure why?)

The PS5 headset has a USB adapter (even for PS5 use, also for PC and ,) the Xbox one uses the Xbox Series wireless protocol and does not have a USB adapter.

I wouldn't personally count Bluetooth support as a very strong "plus" for the Xbox Wireless Headset. It's a Bluetooth 4.2 (A2DP, HFP, HSP) device, and it's only supported codec is SBC. Not AptX, not AAC, certainly not Sony's LDAC, and obviously not the emerging Bluetooth 5.2 LE Audio LC3 (which you can hear the difference of in this online Bluetooth Audio Codec Demonstration.) I guess you could say that most Bluetooth users don't care about audio quality or they wouldn't be using Bluetooth in the first place (especially pairing with a PC; your phone probably has every feature and benefit of BT 5/5.1 but Windows and Mac have pretty danky BT functions,) but you could do much better if Bluetooth is an important bulletpoint in a person's shopping guide.

Buy the Xbox headset if that's what you want for your Xbox, but if you're specifically interested in a multifunctional device for both Xbox and Bluetooth headset use, you might want to shop for something else IMO.

all valid points, there is that b&o partnership that Xbox announced some time ago so this might result in a bit more higher end headset

FrankWza

OP has it listed as having a USB adapter.
[TD]Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S (USB receiver); Windows, macOS, iOS, Android (Bluetooth)[/TD]
[TD]PS5, PS4 (USB receiver); PSVR, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android (3.5mm)[/TD]

pasterpl

it supports use of USB adapter for windows 10, no adapter required for Xbox s|x
For use with Xbox X|S, Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. On supported consoles, some voice chat features may require Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Live Gold (memberships sold separately). Windows 10 use requires Bluetooth 4.2+, Xbox Wireless adapter or compatible USB-C cable. Each sold separately.

CamHostage

Oh, sorry, that's the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows accessory.

It's a USB dongle that I would assume converts the custom Xbox wifi format to a USB device. (Does not seem to work on Mac though, and so I assume it's not so generic a USB device that it could work on a PS5, otherwise Xbox Wireless Headset would essentially be cross-compat, with some accessory purchases.)

You don't need an Xbox Wireless Adapter for your Xbox One/Series (it's already built in,) but if you plan on using a wireless Xbox device on your PC, that's the dongle for that use.

The only thing in the box of the Xbox Wireless Adapter is the headset and a USB Cable. Pulse 3D contains the headset and USB Cable, Wireless Adapter, and a 3.5 Audio Cord.

all valid points, there is that b&o partnership that Xbox announced some time ago so this might result in a bit more higher end headset

They're both fantastic values (though I'd be interested to see a point-for-point comparison to see if any 3rd Party matches/beats them feature-wise at a near price point or bridges the gap better in terms of being one-headphone-for-all-consoles.) It may well be that the Elite/Deluxe models of each console's headphones in the next year or two really up the stakes, but for now, 3rd Parties have their work cut out for them and yet neither console manufacturer has sealed up the market with this-or-nothing headphone extraordinaires...

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Bought the Pulse 3Ds recently, they work great on some games for 3D audio, other games average. If you're going to use the mic, plug it into the controller, the quality of the mic increases (I don't think it's using the controller mic when plugged into the headset). They aren't bassy, which I like.

The Xbox headset looks quite nice, would be better if it had a 3.5mm option with it imo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never used a headset other than the plastic one-piecer that comes with an Xbox system.

Is it really worth spending $100+ on a good headset for MP play?

Is it worth it for SP too? Or is surround sound from my home theatre just as good? (In that case, I'd be buying a $100 headset for MP play usage only)

Are they actually comparing 3D audio support negatively in comparison to a headphone jack / buttons?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Xbox headset is great. But I have the Pulse headset and the buttons aren't a problem. Has multiple volume / chat controls on the headset itself, and they are buttons you can easily push while wearing the headset. The jack isn't a problem. Just put the adapter in the back of the PS5 and you never have to plug anything in. And the battery life is pretty good. Usually charge it once a week and I game frequently.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I've never used a headset other than the plastic one-piecer that comes with an Xbox system.

Is it worth it for SP too? Or is surround sound from my home theatre just as good? (In that case, I'd be buying a $100 headset for MP play usage only)
If you don't mind wires, these are a good headset for the price:

GymWolf

Does anyone in here possess both the 3d pulse and the "old" platinum from sony?!

Last edited:

The way to think of it is really that $100 is the cheapest headset you can get that still will be good quality.

Either you're going to have a sound bar and sub-woofer, or get a headset. Built in TV speakers are not great.

I would prefer a fancy sound system, but I usually game late at night when my girlfriend is asleep, so the headset is actually perfect for me.

What impressed me most about Pulse so far wasn't the huge bass and overly loud volume (it can be bassy and loud for sure if you want), but the tiny and quiet sounds. Walking around on different surfaces in Demon's Souls, or hearing tiny, subtle atmospheric noises like the flames on a torch on the wall in a quiet room all come across much clearer for me on that headset.

Last edited:

sainraja

I was finally able to get a PS5 today (phew!) and would have loved to pair both the Pulse and the new Xbox wireless headset with their respective consoles. Unfortunately, I have already invested in a Steelseries headset for the PS side and Turtle Beach one for Xbox. So I guess I will just have to wait till the next iteration or if one of these go bad!

GymWolf

I have the Pulse, and used to own the Plats. Used the Plats for the last year of PS4 (before PS5 dropped)

Plat and Pulse sound similar IMO, but Pulse has better directional audio IMO

(im just a dork in a basement, not an expert, so don't put too much faith in my impressions)
well thanks anyway, if the difference is only a slightly better directional audio, i can stay with the platinum for now, they are still pretty new.

Concern

It was the same for me till around 2016. Now its the only way I play tbh unless I need to charge my headset.

S0ULZB0URNE

So the new Xbox Wireless Headset was released, and most of the reviews are quite positive;

Xbox Wireless Headset vs. Pulse 3D Wireless Headset: Specs compared​

Xbox Wireless HeadsetPulse 3D Wireless Headset
Price (MSRP)$99.99$99.99
Weight11.0 ounces10.4 ounces
Battery life15 hours12 hours
Supported systemsXbox Series X, Xbox Series S (USB receiver); Windows, macOS, iOS, Android (Bluetooth)PS5, PS4 (USB receiver); PSVR, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android (3.5mm)
Special featuresNoise-cancelling microphone, Dolby Atmos, DTS Headphone:X, Windows Sonic, mic monitoringNoise-cancelling microphone, Sony Tempest, mic monitoring

I am just sad that Amazon delayed my pre-order delivery :(

Nice cherry picking.

From IGN....

"That said, even with Atmos, the Xbox Wireless Headset’s surround sound doesn’t create the same sense of spatial awareness as Sony’s Tempest system in the PS5, particularly when used with the Pulse 3D headset."

/thread

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Nice cherry picking.

From IGN....

"That said, even with Atmos, the Xbox Wireless Headset’s surround sound doesn’t create the same sense of spatial awareness as Sony’s Tempest system in the PS5, particularly when used with the Pulse 3D headset."

/thread

Placebo effect + confirmation bias

FrankWza

Nice cherry picking.

From IGN....

/thread
Also, listing it as having a USB adapter when it doesn’t on x. Subpar wireless connection instead like the Arctis 9x that has many issues

jaysius

Banned
Buy the one for your primary console of choice, if your rich enough to have both, neither of these are for you.

This is like boxed wine vs boxed wine, both do their jobs but they’re never going to do them great.

/thread

Last edited:
My issue with the A40 is the cord. My issue with the A50s is the price.

I deal with the cord because I used to get some robot voice occasionally on mic with the wireless on my A50s. It's probably the only wired thing I have besides my ethernet. Only thing I miss is being able to go to the kitchen with the headset still on to grab something while a show or cutscene is playing. First world problems. There is rarely a perfect solution..

Last edited:
Top Bottom