• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pulse 3D vs. Xbox Wireless Headset

Andodalf

Banned
Thats the brand name or another model for the arctis?

IDK, I know there is another company that buys the drivers from Audeze to use in a headset so it might be them. This is their first time making their own console headset. It's planar magnetic which is different that the more typical gaming headsets

rofif

Banned
btw since we have headphones topic here...

Should "full range speakers" and "disable enhancements" both be ticked in windows audio settings? (so full range selected and all enhancements disabled.
I am asking as pulse 3d dongle is detected as speakers (stereo headset) and give me this option

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

My Sony ier-m9's beg to differ.

That has to be the dumbest quote. The best headset for spacial awareness is going to be one with a huge soundstage and fantastic imaging. The pulse has neither. Kinda makes the quote just sound dumb.

I got some for super cheap. Very uncomfortable if you have a big head and sorta flabby base. Terrible for music. Pretty good for footsteps though. Great mic. I gave them to my kid since he doesn't have a giant head.
Someone didn't read what they quoted.

LucidFlux

I'm still rocking my 6 year old Golds (which I've upgraded the battery in but they are falling apart).

I've been looking for wireless replacement and have been leaning towards the SteelSeries Arctis 7p.

Are there any better wireless options for PS5 in that price range? Mainly concerned with sound quality, comfort and mic quality.

CamHostage

In an effort to de-escalate the names and confusion here...

The quoted IGN section was a reviewer's assessment of the product, not a factual statement about the feature set of the headphones. If Mike Epstein found the PlayStation headset to be exemplary with PS5, then plus1 for the recommendation there, and if the other guy was not as impressed, take that minus recommendation in as well.

Ultimately, there is little in the Pulse 3D or Xbox Wireless Headset that makes them "3D Headsets". They're stereo devices (single-driver 40mm neodymium speakers in each ear cup,) and you can read up about talk of custom-tuning or driver/foam selection or supported standards from the stat sheet, but it's the console that essentially does almost all the work. The headphones just play back the sound. Even the 3D sound.

If anybody can point out something about the 3D Pulse in the teardown (Xbox Wireless Headphone teardown will I assume come some day too) that makes it particularly good for virtualized surround sound propagation, then it's worth bringing to the conversation. Otherwise, when we're talking about either of these headphones, we should probably primarily be talking about comfort, sound quality, space and dampening, mic responsiveness, and feature set, as well as personal experiences with each. The "3D Audio" of it all comes via the console that makes the 3D audio.

Last edited:
No, I did. The IGN quote is bullshit. The pulse headset isn't especially good and it's at best alright for the price. Unless they were comparing them to the headphones that came with their Walkman in 1989 there is no way you would say "especially when paired with the pulse headset".
Unless it's a paid ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on having the new dumbest quote. Good job.

Look who's talking

No, I did. The IGN quote is bullshit. The pulse headset isn't especially good and it's at best alright for the price. Unless they were comparing them to the headphones that came with their Walkman in 1989 there is no way you would say "especially when paired with the pulse headset".
Unless it's a paid ad.

So, you still claiming that Pulse doens't support 3D audio.

Last edited:
Look who's talking

So, you still claiming that Pulse doens't support 3D audio.
Never did I claim anything of the sort. I said it's not the best, or even above anything else. To say "especially when paired with the pulse" is just an advertisement playing like a review. The pulse doesn't have a huge soundstage or fantastic imaging and those are needed to be the best for spacial audio. Period.

Never did I claim anything of the sort. I said it's not the best, or even above anything else. To say "especially when paired with the pulse" is just an advertisement playing like a review. The pulse doesn't have a huge soundstage or fantastic imaging and those are needed to be the best for spacial audio. Period.

Yeah, about that.

That has to be the dumbest quote. The best headset for spacial awareness is going to be one with a huge soundstage and fantastic imaging. The pulse has neither. Kinda makes the quote just sound dumb.

It does support 3D audio. But of course it won't be a high quality like much expensive ones. Period!

Last edited:
Yeah, about that.

It does support 3D audio. But of course it won't be a high quality like much expensive ones. Period!
Yes the pulse doesn't have a huge soundstage(it's alright) or fantastic imaging (closer to poor) so it's not the best. I don't know why you are having so much trouble with this.

Edit
I think you are arguing something you don't fully understand. That's alright I like to do the same sometimes
Some nice basic easy to understand terms.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Unless it's a paid ad.
It performs positional sound better.
This should be a major determining factor with gaming headsets.

Yes the pulse doesn't have a huge soundstage(it's alright) or fantastic imaging (closer to poor) so it's not the best. I don't know why you are having so much trouble with this.

Because you claimed it doesn't have neither. I don't know why you especially you are having so much trouble with Pulse ( but i guess, you don't have a trouble with Xbox headset )

I just read the IGN reviews for pulse and Xbox headset. Both reviews are hot garbage. That quote about the pulse being better is garbage as well especially since they don't say with what they are comparing. Are they comparing Astros playroom (great audio) to Minecraft(bad audio) I don't know. Considering there is what zero multi plat games that currently support Tempest how the fuck are they doing a fair comparison? IGN is hot garbage on A sunny day.

Because you claimed it doesn't have neither. I don't know why you especially you are having so much trouble with Pulse ( but i guess, you don't have a trouble with Xbox headset )
Yes it doesn't have a huge soundstage or fantastic imaging. As headphones it has some soundstage and some imagine. It makes sounds it has to have some.
I don't have an issue with the pulse. I took issue to using that garbage IGN quote to speak of any kind of advantage over the Xbox one. I have not heard the Xbox one but I'm going to guess it's about as good as the pulse. Alright for the price i guess.

rofif

Banned
Pulse3d sounds very positional. I play battlefield with it.
On ps5 it's even better of course.
But the sound quality is no slouch - I am happy to listen to music on it.

I've not tried xbox headset yet

akaijin

Neo Member
Using Pulse 3D with PC (dongle or wired), Switch (dongle docked or wired in portable mode) and PS4 (dongle and wired).
Works worst on PS4, really crappy connectivity if there is an external HDD connected, and it can't transmit sound as good as on the other 2 platforms, can't understand why, that's why i moved to the connection to the controller.
Mario 3D world sounds really good to me, not a single disconnection. Same on PC, and i tried with the Dolby Atmos codec and the dts-x one as well, good rendition on the games that support the standards - like Cyberpunk - and good surround in others like Fallen Order.
Battery life seems even shorter (might not but I feel like it's almost always running out of juice - and I turn off the mic)
The double connectivity at the same time of the Microsoft one is nice indeed.

Yes it doesn't have a huge soundstage or fantastic imaging. As headphones it has some soundstage and some imagine. It makes sounds it has to have some.
I don't have an issue with the pulse. I took issue to using that garbage IGN quote to speak of any kind of advantage over the Xbox one. I have not heard the Xbox one but I'm going to guess it's about as good as the pulse. Alright for the price i guess.

Then don't claim it has neither like you did in your previous post

Holy shit. I have children. You are way worse. I said it has neither a huge soundstage or fantastic imaging. I hope you are trolling me.

I didn't trolled you. What you said in one of the previous post surely implied that Pulse really doesn't have it. Nor huge, nor middle nor poor, just doesn't have it. It is totally different to this post of yours later

Yes the pulse doesn't have a huge soundstage(it's alright) or fantastic imaging (closer to poor) so it's not the best.

So, be more specific then

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Holy shit. I have children. You are way worse. I said it has neither a huge soundstage or fantastic imaging. I hope you are trolling me.
I compared 1:1 Pulse3d to Koss Porta Pro known for their openness... and maybe my ear is bad but pulse3d sounds about the same but a bit more low end. 3d still sounds more impressive with pulse somehow

I didn't trolled you. What you said in one of the previous post surely implied that Pulse really doesn't have it. Nor huge, nor middle nor poor, just doesn't have it. It is totally different to this post of yours later

So, be more specific then
Again you are arguing something you don't understand. That's ok. I honestly do that all the time. I enjoy the argue. Kills time. These are terms that you can't have zero of. I didn't imply it because I understand the words. If you understood the words you wouldn't think I implied it unless you thought I didn't understand the words.
You don't own both but have much to say to people and places that do/have compared them.
🤭
They can't actually compare them in the way they said they did. It's bullshit. To compare them they would have to have the source to be same.
I compared 1:1 Pulse3d to Koss Porta Pro known for their openness... and maybe my ear is bad but pulse3d sounds about the same but a bit more low end. 3d still sounds more impressive with pulse somehow
I have no experience with them but reviews say decent soundstage. Pulse has decent soundstage. Those koss' are dirt cheap though. I wouldn't want my 100$ headphones compared to albeit great for 35$ headphones.

rofif

Banned
Again you are arguing something you don't understand. That's ok. I honestly do that all the time. I enjoy the argue. Kills time. These are terms that you can't have zero of. I didn't imply it because I understand the words. If you understood the words you wouldn't think I implied it unless you thought I didn't understand the words.

They can't actually compare them in the way they said they did. It's bullshit. To compare them they would have to have the source to be same.

I have no experience with them but reviews say decent soundstage. Pulse has decent soundstage. Those koss' are dirt cheap though. I wouldn't want my 100$ headphones compared to albeit great for 35$ headphones.
those koss are some of best endgame headphones ever. Don't let the price fool you

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have both now, I think they are both pretty good overall, especially for the price. Spent some time gaming and listen to music. With and without the different headphone modes.

The pulse have a more balanced profile by default. Both are reasonably comfortable.
The xbox set feel a bit better built, and the volume control is much nicer to use.

The default profile for the xbox has a ridiculous amount of bass, in fact to the point it muddles the other sounds a bit, I can see why some reviewers commented on this. However if you use the equalizer and bring down the 125 band about 6db, it actually evens out quite nicely.

The average person will be very happy with either set.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just got the Xbox headset...

Firm impressions? They sound... mediocre.
And please god let them release some foam ear pads. It was getting sticky after like 30 minutes.
Mine are waiting at home. Hope they don't suck.

Mr Moose

Under Special Features it doesn't mention the Xbox headsets best feature: Bluetooth mixing. Hearing your game and music from your phone simultaneously is a killer feature at tjat price point. That feature alone blows the Pulse 3D out of the water.
Spotify is a thing on PS5 (PS button then Music).

MaulerX

Spotify is a thing on PS5 (PS button then Music).

Uhh... That's not what this is about.

It's about Bluetooth mixing. Connecting the headset to your console and your phone simultaneously. Getting both audio feeds simultaneously. Playing and listening to your game while simultaneously having a conversation on your cell phone, or discord or whatever else you can think of.

rofif

Banned
Just got the Xbox headset...

Firm impressions? They sound... mediocre.
And please god let them release some foam ear pads. It was getting sticky after like 30 minutes.
Wish sony would release fabric pads for pulse3d too. Or at least spare pads since these are easily detachable.
But it's not that bad since pulse3d pads are not very hot

THE DUCK

If they are overly Bass heavy which seems the case, foam pads will tone that down.

Just use the equalizer, it makes a HUGE difference. Takes it from sloppy messy bass running all over everything to balance, separation.
Should be a PSA on the box. They probably did test groups and the "focus group" all said it sounded more full or something........probably why they have that ridiculous bass boost to +12 too.

Also one other thing, I was listening to music both on spotify vs plex, perhaps it was the fact that some of my songs on plex are lossless (about 20%) but it did sound a lot better overall than spotify.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just got done messing around with the new Xbox headset.
  • Comfort
    • A little tight, but overall quite comfortable
    • The earcups fit perfectly over my ears without rubbing anywhere
  • Build
    • Quality look and feel matching some higher end headsets
    • The ear dials are very nice feeling
  • Sound
    • Out of the box, they did not sound great. Really biased low. However, after adjusting the equalizer (avoid presets, they are trash) it was like a whole new set. I recommend dialing back the low end and bumping up the mid.
    • Overall, after getting the equalizer set and testing Atmos, I would say that the sound quality is good, not great. Very similar to my Turtle Beach Stealth 600s.
*edit: I have not tested the mic yet.

Last edited:

stitch1

I received my Xbox headset today. Pictured are the Xbox, Philip 9500s, and the Sony Pulse 3Ds. They all have their pros and cons. I'll need to use the Xbox headset more before giving it any sort of review. But they're comfortable.

eSjWnlb.jpg

Mr Moose

I received my Xbox headset today. Pictured are the Xbox, Philip 9500s, and the Sony Pulse 3Ds. They all have their pros and cons. I'll need to use the Xbox headset more before giving it any sort of review. But they're comfortable.

eSjWnlb.jpg
I wish they did a soft pads add-on kinda thing for a few £, not sure how easy the cups are to take off.

Connxtion

Just got done messing around with the new Xbox headset.
  • Comfort
    • A little tight, but overall quite comfortable
    • The earcups fit perfectly over my ears without rubbing anywhere
  • Build
    • Quality look and feel matching some higher end headsets
    • The ear dials are very nice feeling
  • Sound
    • Out of the box, they did not sound great. Really biased low. However, after adjusting the equalizer (avoid presets, they are trash) it was like a whole new set. I recommend dialing back the low end and bumping up the mid.
    • Overall, after getting the equalizer set and testing Atmos, I would say that the sound quality is good, not great. Very similar to my Turtle Beach Stealth 600s.
*edit: I have not tested the mic yet.
You got a screenshot of your EQ? as the base is strong 😂, playing COD it’s sound amazing but would rather get some settings from folk who know what there doing.

THE DUCK

You got a screenshot of your EQ? as the base is strong 😂, playing COD it’s sound amazing but would rather get some settings from folk who know what there doing.

Use a custom eq, then take the 125hz slider down 3 of the big notches. (About half way down from the middle, or 3/4 from the top)
That alone made a huge difference for me.
Make sure bass boost is off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom