• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pulse 3D vs. Xbox Wireless Headset

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I wouldn't have either of these cheaply manufactured turds for free.

game of thrones sausage GIF

/S

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
While not 100% sure, I'm quite confident there are no current games that support Tempest and one of the other options so a comparison can not be made.
Miles Morales
Astro Playroom
Spider-man Remastered
Destruction Allstars
Demon’s Souls
Sackboy: A Big Adventure

These are just a small list of the games already released that supports Tempest Audio Tech.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Miles Morales
Astro Playroom
Spider-man Remastered
Destruction Allstars
Demon’s Souls

These are just a small list of the games already released that supports Tempest Audio Tech.

I honestly thought the Control Remaster included it, must just be solid 7.1 support.

Last edited:

Markio128

I received my Pulse 3D headset yesterday - I’ve waited very patiently for stock and ended up getting mine from Very. I used it with Demon’s Souls, Astro, Spider-Man MM and Watch Dogs Legion. All games sounded great and appeared to support 3D sound. I have no complaints about the quality of the headset, particularly for the price of £89. I’ve never played games before with headphones, so this was a real treat and made the games far more engaging. Listening to conversations of people in Spider-Man and Watch Dogs was great and I never paid much attention to them before. It gets my recommendation.

ethomaz

Banned
I honestly thought the Control Remaster included it, must just be solid 7.1 support.
It can have I don’t know... Sony listed these games in Oct 2020 before the launch.

“ Some of the PS5 games with 3D Audio features include Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, Astro’s Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, Returnal, Destruction AllStars, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Horizon Forbidden West, Resident Evil Village, and many others.”

It was just a small sample.

Demons Souls dont support it ?
Sounds pretty 3d with pulse 3d when I play

Miles Morales
Astro Playroom
Spider-man Remastered
Destruction Allstars
Demon’s Souls

You guys missed the "and another option"
You can't say Tempest sounds better if you can't compare it same game to another option.
Example
I'm comparing 2 different TVs
One tv I watch cartoon Network
Other tv I watch 4k Blu ray
I come to the conclusion that the tv I watched the 4k Blu ray on has better picture quality.
It's that a valid conclusion? Or did I not properly compare the TV's?

Unless you can compare same game that supports all the audio formats I'm comparing it is not a valid comparison.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You can't say Tempest sounds better if you can't compare it same game to another option.
Example
I come to the conclusion that the tv I watched the 4k Blu ray on has better picture quality.

Unless you can compare same game that supports all the audio formats I'm comparing it is not a valid comparison.
Except the hardware that produces the audio, the headset is the same for me, which means only the audio format changes, what where comparing here, the only change is the software used, so if Control sounds better on my PS5 than it does on my PC despite using the same headset why is that an unfair comparison?

The issue now is control using tempest or just standard 7.1. On the flipside this chain of comments started because people where asking why you can't trust The Verge to make accurate audio comparisons and declare a winner in their article.... by arguing its currently impossible to make a comparison currently... which enforces the point The Verge cannot be trusted with there views.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Example

Watch Dogs Legion, AC Valhalla, Immortals Fenyx Rising all supports Tempest 3D Audio.

I won’t check more games but I’m sure there are way more examples... Control has 3D Audio on PS5 it just not sure if Tempest or not but give the lack of options Tempest is the best guess.

I mean lack of options for test is not a issue.

Edit - CoD Cold War supports Tempest 3D Audio.... ar this point I believe most big games support it.

Last edited:
Watch Dogs Legion, AC Valhalla, Immortals Fenyx Rising all supports Tempest 3D Audio.

I won’t check more games but I’m sure there are way more examples... Control has 3D Audio on PS5 it just not sure if Tempest or not but give the lack of options Tempest is the best guess.

Edit - CoD Cold War supports Tempest 3D Audio.... ar this point I believe most big games support it.
Ok then why is no one testing these? Also they have to fully support the other options to compare. It can't just support Tempest and not Atmos. I read watch dogs supports Atmos well on PC with Atmos speaker setup, but unsure of Atmos headphone support.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Moving this slightly more back to the headsets themselves, as I said Dolby Atmos is a life changer even against other premium solutions, I have seen people say "but you don't need Atmos on xbox the windows default is good enough" which is bullshit it's a noticeable upgrade, if your buying the xbox headset make sure to buy the Atmos access on the xbox store, it is honestly a game changer changer for me on PC for directional audio.

ethomaz

Banned
Ok then why is no one testing these? Also they have to fully support the other options to compare. It can't just support Tempest and not Atmos. I read watch dogs supports Atmos well on PC with Atmos speaker setup, but unsure of Atmos headphone support.
Maybe it is because nobody had the interest and time to test it? I mean normally you buy the version of game in your platform of choice and not in two different platforms.

ethomaz

Banned
Moving this slightly more back to the headsets themselves, as I said Dolby Atmos is a life changer even against other premium solutions, I have seen people say "but you don't need Atmos on xbox the windows default is good enough" which is bullshit it's a noticeable upgrade, if your buying the xbox headset make sure to buy the Atmos access on the xbox store, it is honestly a game changer changer for me on PC for directional audio.
Atmos and Tempest are way better than Windows Sonic... they are not even comparable even at specs sheet.

Last edited:
Maybe it is because nobody had the interest and time to test it? I mean normally you buy the version of game in your platform of choice and not in two different platforms.
But people are saying one is better then the other with no testing being done.
Atmos and Tempest are way better than Windows Sonic... they are not even comparable even at specs sheet.
My preference is actually DTS, Sonic, Atmos in the games I play.

ethomaz

Banned

The guy you are talking tested Control in both PC and PS5, no? Control Ultimate was free for PS5 users so that make it easy... I just could not find any place saying it uses Tempest but the own dev says it has 3D Audio on PS5 and I can confirm from the very little I played on PS5.

The only access to DTS I have is on my sound bar that is a bit different from headphones.... so I can't compare but talking about it on my Soundbar it is a 5.1 setup so it virtualize the DTS-X 3D Audio.... sometimes it is really impressive and others it is just not good... I understand that because it is virtualized but on headphones it is virtualized but it works fine in all content.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Because its an opinion based in having access to these formats... which begs the question, do you have access to tempest? Because in suspecting the answer to this will be no.

I don't have access to DTS but I have DTS-X on my TV set up with the soundbar and speakers although I don't remember the last time I actually used it.. as for Sonic.... well yeah I bought a DAC and then paid for ATMOS for a reason.

Last edited:
The guy you are talking tested Control in both PC and PS5, no? Control Ultimate was free for PS5 users so that make it easy... I just could not find any place saying it uses Tempest but the own dev says it has 3D Audio on PS5 and I can confirm from the very little I played on PS5.

The only access to DTS I have is on my sound bar that is a bit different from headphones.... so I can't compare but talking about it on my Soundbar it is a 5.1 setup so it virtualize the DTS-X 3D Audio.... sometimes it is really impressive and others it is just not good... I understand that because it is virtualized but on headphones it is virtualized but it works fine in all content.
One data point is not enough to offer a conclusion.
My issue is with websites stating one being better with no record of what is being tested and how that conclusion was reached.
Because its an opinion based in having access to these formats... which begs the question, do you have access to tempest? Because in suspecting the answer to this will be no.

I don't have access to DTS but I have DTS-X on my TV set up with the soundbar and speakers although I don't remember the last time I actually used it.. as for Sonic.... well yeah I bought a DAC and then paid for ATMOS for a reason.
If I had access would I be asking others to do a fair comparison for me?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If I had access would I be asking others to do a fair comparison for me?

So you will just have to take my word for it in terms of audio for games (and also music) Tempest > Dolby Atmos > other things, as you have no other competing opinions from others with access who are willing to supply them, at least on a Wh-1000xm4. Since we are rather limited on the headsets that support Tempest, however the playstation pulse comes with a solid audio engine out of the box while the Microsoft equivalent offers a 6 month trial before requiring you to buy the licence or downgrade to sonic... which is noticeably worse for audio.

From a value perspective that sucks, from a real world scenario perspective, there both a solid headset for there perspective system and you should buy and use the one for your applicable system (and buy atmos if that's Microsoft) which I'm sure people will argue which offers a superior audio experience, unless you don't pay your licence then I think most will confidentially agree a sonic only Microsoft headset is not worth £99

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
If you like to get ripped off, it's okay if you let yourself.
What part of that was ripped off? You had to literally ignore most of my post, and only quote what fitted your narrative to make it seem like one.
But this should not happen.

So do not involve others for something that is unfair and inappropriate.
People concern trolling on behalf of someone else does not count as "others".

So you will just have to take my word for it in terms of audio for games (and also music) Tempest > Dolby Atmos > other things, as you have no other competing opinions from others with access who are willing to supply them, at least on a Wh-1000xm4. Since we are rather limited on the headsets that support Tempest, however the playstation pulse comes with a solid audio engine out of the box while the Microsoft equivalent offers a 6 month trial before requiring you to buy the licence or downgrade to sonic... which is noticeably worse for audio.

From a value perspective that sucks, from a real world scenario perspective, there both a solid headset for there perspective system and you should buy and use the one for your applicable system (and buy atmos if that's Microsoft) which I'm sure people will argue which offers a superior audio experience, unless you don't pay your licence then I think most will confidentially agree a sonic only Microsoft headset is not worth £99
See again I prefer Sonic over Atmos in the games I play. And you mentioned control so that's one comparison. I need more to actually draw a conclusion. Also all headphones plugged into a ps5 controller support Tempest.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Example

That's why quality should be compared only on pc in stereo mode with enhancements disabled in win10 audio panel

STARSBarry

Gold Member
See again I prefer Sonic over Atmos in the games I play. And you mentioned control so that's one comparison. I need more to actually draw a conclusion. Also all headphones plugged into a ps5 controller support Tempest.

Yeah but audio is completely subjective on the user unless you rate an audio experience in a completely binary way based on stastical ranges, people still argue over Atmos vs DTS-X to this day. I for one cannot understand why anyone would want Sonic for example over Atmos however there is a saying "De gustibus non est disputandum". Essentially different people are going to find diffrent things better, it's a matter of taste, for me my PS5 is offering a better audio experience in games thanks to its 3D sound, however it is equally likely someone would hear my 7.1 set up on PC and enjoy that more.

Its like asking someone for their GOTY contender, it's all hyperbole and opinion, so when I say Tempest is "best" I mean that with the understanding that this is not based on a peer reviewed study backed with data analysed by a team of 10 people from a large dataset.

Rtings :

Pulse 3D has better sound, better wired ( because 3.5 jack ) connectivity, Xbox Wireless has better build quality, mic ( mic recording ), battery, better noise cancellation, better bluetooth, better app support

skit_data

Rtings :

Pulse 3D has better sound, better wired ( because 3.5 jack ) connectivity, Xbox Wireless has better build quality, mic ( mic recording ), battery, better noise cancellation, better bluetooth, better app support

Huh, better battery? Are they rechargable? I thought that was a bad thing?

/s

RaZoR No1

My only concern for the Wireless Xbox Headset is, that it doesn't have a 3,5mm connection...
On the other hand, none of the mobile devices I own have them either and theoretically I could use a usb c to usb c cable or Bluetooth...

ethomaz

Banned
Rtings :

The specs already told that... that is why the Tom Warrior article was really weird.

CthulhuPL

Am i the only one that thinks that xbox wireless headset is utterly shitty product? In terms of sound quality nothing, literally nothing blew me away. This headset is very mediocre at best in terms of sound. Oh and dolby atmos is non existent. There is no virtual surround. My stereo headphones that came with my phone produce very similiar quality of sound. Even my old ps3 sony's virtual surround headset provides much better surround and sound. I'm very dissapointed. All those reviews lied or those reviewers have never heard good sound quality on a headset. I really don't know how people can praise such a shitty product. Even for its price, it is still flawed. :(

GHG

Gold Member
Rtings :

The only audiovisual reviewers that matter.

Everything is always backed up by data and scientific evidence. Made several purchases on the back of their recommendations and its never failed me.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Am i the only one that thinks that xbox wireless headset is utterly shitty product? In terms of sound quality nothing, literally nothing blew me away. This headset is very mediocre at best in terms of sound. Oh and dolby atmos is non existent. There is no virtual surround. My stereo headphones that came with my phone produce very similiar quality of sound. Even my old ps3 sony's virtual surround headset provides much better surround and sound. I'm very dissapointed. All those reviews lied or those reviewers have never heard good sound quality on a headset. I really don't know how people can praise such a shitty product. Even for its price, it is still flawed. :(

Did you adjust the equalizer as recommended? Did you try Dolby atmos and dts x headphone and make sure they were configured properly? If the earbuds with your phone sound the same I would say you need to try some more.

CthulhuPL

Did you adjust the equalizer as recommended? Did you try Dolby atmos and dts x headphone and make sure they were configured properly? If the earbuds with your phone sound the same I would say you need to try some more.
Yes, i have configured them in the accesories app, changed the sliders, adjusted dolby access, checked if i have dolby atmos enabled on my xsx. I have also tried to play demos in dolby access.

Holy shit. I have children. You are way worse. I said it has neither a huge soundstage or fantastic imaging. I hope you are trolling me.

Bruh, he's either a sub triple digit IQ moron, a troll, or English is his 3rd language (as he wasn't able to understand your intended emphasis). Reading your back n forth with that guy was simultaneously hilarious and fucking painful. 🤦‍♂️😅

Jaysen

Banned
Biggest problem I have with Tempest outside of it not sounding all that great even when its supported is you have to constantly turn it on and off for games that support it and don't, because if the game doesn't support it and you have it on, the audio sounds like complete garbage. If a game doesn't support it, the system should be smart enough to revert to dual channel stereo.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
Owner of both here -
I read a review of the Xbox headset while the delivery guy was ringing my doorbell to drop it off - and in the review there was an EQ profile included (reduced bass). I applied that profile immediately.

I've owned the Sony once since launch.

I have to say I prefer the Xbox headset so far.

One thing they definitely did better than I've seen anyone do is work out the controls of the headset. It is BY FAR the quickest and most confidently I've ever used a headset without having to fiddle around or look. The entire headset cup rotating is EXCELLENT. Right side volume. Left side chat / game mix (with a nice little 'click' to let you know you're at 50/50 mix). Mute button ON mic with a light indicator.

And huge applause for using the Xbox wireless to sync to the machine WITHOUT A DONGLE.
And speaking of DONGLE - I happen to have one for an Xbox controller for my desktop PC and guess what? It syncs with that too without the need to mess with Bluetooth.

Fit is snug... might get hot with multiple hours of use but I used it for an hour without issues last night.

Bruh, he's either a sub triple digit IQ moron, a troll, or English is his 3rd language (as he wasn't able to understand your intended emphasis). Reading your back n forth with that guy was simultaneously hilarious and fucking painful. 🤦‍♂️😅
Haha yeah it was rough for me. I've been trying to be less of a shit head lately and this exchange really tested that. Gave myself a pat on the back for staying mostly civil.

Biggest problem I have with Tempest outside of it not sounding all that great even when its supported is you have to constantly turn it on and off for games that support it and don't, because if the game doesn't support it and you have it on, the audio sounds like complete garbage. If a game doesn't support it, the system should be smart enough to revert to dual channel stereo.
100% should be automatic.
Owner of both here -
I read a review of the Xbox headset while the delivery guy was ringing my doorbell to drop it off - and in the review there was an EQ profile included (reduced bass). I applied that profile immediately.

I've owned the Sony once since launch.

I have to say I prefer the Xbox headset so far.

One thing they definitely did better than I've seen anyone do is work out the controls of the headset. It is BY FAR the quickest and most confidently I've ever used a headset without having to fiddle around or look. The entire headset cup rotating is EXCELLENT. Right side volume. Left side chat / game mix (with a nice little 'click' to let you know you're at 50/50 mix). Mute button ON mic with a light indicator.

And huge applause for using the Xbox wireless to sync to the machine WITHOUT A DONGLE.
And speaking of DONGLE - I happen to have one for an Xbox controller for my desktop PC and guess what? It syncs with that too without the need to mess with Bluetooth.

Fit is snug... might get hot with multiple hours of use but I used it for an hour without issues last night.
I hear nothing but positives for the controls on that headset. Sounds like they did a really good job for the price. If you change to foam make sure to adjust your eq. Low end drops off quite a bit with foam from pleather.

THE DUCK

Yes, i have configured them in the accesories app, changed the sliders, adjusted dolby access, checked if i have dolby atmos enabled on my xsx. I have also tried to play demos in dolby access.

Not sure then, its wierd that your experience is so far off from what most others are.

THE DUCK

Honestly I was joking.

Well that's good, I just hate it when people put down affordable solutions, there are many people who truly can't afford more expensive headphones so I think it's just nice to allow them to be happy and proud of what they have. (I also happen to actually think these are pretty good for the price, in both cases)

meech

Wait,the Pulse 3d doesnt have Bluetooth? But i read claims that people connected it to a Sony tv directly(xh900).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not with Bluetooth and wireless.

Yeah, checked a few reviews now that they're actually out and they seem good for the price point.

CthulhuPL

I have tested Beyerdynamic MMX 300 2gen and they are also shit headphones. Just like this Xbox Wireless Headset. Do you people have low standarts or hearing problems? I can't imagine how so many people can praise these headphones. My conclusion is this: every gaming headset is basically shit, every with microphone or wire/wireless. The only solution to have decent headphones is to buy stereo headphones without any microphone or gaming label on it and no wireless tech.

Top Bottom