• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1: 2.3 M PS5s shipped; G&NS reports record-breaking revenues

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
48% (G&NS + Mobile Gaming)

iSyOC94.jpg
Well this is interesting....
I remember before this launch people were saying the PS5 wouldn't sell nearly as good because of the $500 price tag and stronger competition
Not Bad Kind Of GIF by MOODMAN

Some were so convinced it was gonna be another PS3, XBO situation. That they were losing so much, the console costs over $600 to make...MS was taking all the mindshare away because of forum activity....the $299 Series S had Sony shook and was gonna take marketshare from Sony....

Fun times.

I wonder whats the excuse gonna be this time if the sales gap stays the same or grow...

Wow I remember that too and overheating hardware on the level of the Xbox360

Oh dont worry, this is creeping back into the spotlight with the NVMe heatsink requirement for the PS5 internal slot....

Last edited:
Oh dont worry, this is creeping back into the spotlight with the NVMe heatsink requirement for the PS5 internal slot....

I watched a video of someone doing temperature tests and it doesn't seem to be an issue. He does recommend using a heatsink and he did confirm that you can use big heatsinks if you leave the NVME cover off.

I don't believe anyone's PS5 is going to turn into an overheated console that's as loud as a PS4 Pro.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Well this is interesting....

Some were so convinced it was gonna be another PS3, XBO situation. That they were losing so much, the console costs over $600 to make...MS was taking all the mindshare away because of forum activity....the $299 Series S had Sony shook and was gonna take marketshare from Sony....

Fun times.

I wonder whats the excuse gonna be this time if the sales gap stays the same or grow...

There's so many lies and misinformation from one group on Twitter and in some podcasts, meanwhile I haven't even seen a glitch yet

mckmas8808

Banned
They probably will for whatever GAAS games they produce; they don't outright state it, but to me the implication of GAAS + this statement on the slide below:

sony-investor-relations-day-2021-uncharted-4.original.jpg

Means day one GAAS games on and off console, which would probably be PC.

I completely agree. Those games will be multiplayer focused with the intention of getting and needing as many gamers as possible to make the experience better.

I completely agree. Those games will be multiplayer focused with the intention of getting and needing as many gamers as possible to make the experience better.
I agree MP games need large audience. But this move will have a big backlash with the PS+ requirement of online play for Playstation while none of that exist in PC.

I think 'some' MP and GaaS will go PS5+PC route specially the 2nd party games. But many will be PS5 exclusive MP games.

Or in the alternative, to mitigate a potential backlash, release the MP games on PS+ day 1 for free while it costs $30-$60 on PC.

mckmas8808

Banned
I agree MP games need large audience. But this move will have a big backlash with the PS+ requirement of online play for Playstation while none of that exist in PC.

I think 'some' MP and GaaS will go PS5+PC route specially the 2nd party games. But many will be PS5 exclusive MP games.

Or in the alternative, to mitigate a potential backlash, release the MP games on PS+ day 1 for free while it costs $30-$60 on PC.

Ding Wells GIF by YFTpodcast

yurinka

Sony has about 44 billion cash and very low debt of 7 billion.

They could fund it all in debt or go half and half..... would cost about 12 billion with a 20% premium.
Square would be enough though with a bit of an increase in investment in Kadokawa.

From a financial standpoint Sega is a better investment than Square but Square is more IP rich...

If you want revenue and profit of Square and Kadokawa I can go looking...
Well, in this case sounds they could afford it if desired (even if I think they don't need it, because it's enough with the type of exclusives they have/will have from them).

Knowing they could afford it even if it would be making a huge effort, looking at their yearly revenue and profit (as you mention they'd reduce a lot of their costs integrating duplied stuff because Sony already does many things) we would be able to estimate if it would make sense looking at if they would recoup their investment on a decent timeframe (let's say aprox. 5 years) and start to profit from there.

We also should consider that their revenue would decrease specially for Square because if purchased by Sony they would stop releasing games on Xbox and Switch. With Kadokawa there wouldn't be a lot of change because they already have a lot of PlayStation exclusives, and after their recent deal with Sony I assume they will increase their amount of PS console exclusive stuff.

Bryank75

Banned
Well, in this case sounds they could afford it if desired (even if I think they don't need it, because it's enough with the type of exclusives they have/will have from them).

Knowing they could afford it even if it would be making a huge effort, looking at their yearly revenue and profit (as you mention they'd reduce a lot of their costs integrating duplied stuff because Sony already does many things) we would be able to estimate if it would make sense looking at if they would recoup their investment on a decent timeframe (let's say aprox. 5 years) and start to profit from there.

We also should consider that their revenue would decrease specially for Square because if purchased by Sony they would stop releasing games on Xbox and Switch. With Kadokawa there wouldn't be a lot of change because they already have a lot of PlayStation exclusives, and after their recent deal with Sony I assume they will increase their amount of PS console exclusive stuff.

Well with the cost savings from integrating publishing and the film and manga operations...... and if Sony allowed them continue publishing on Nintendo in a limited capacity and PC of course, I think revenue would either stay around the same or decrease a small amount but I think the profitability would actually increase.

Legacy games could still be put on Gamepass to make some extra cash....much like Zenimax has old games for sale still and on PSNow since being bought.

Also since Sony have film and music divisions, they could use all of Squares IP's and make anime for Funimation and Crunchyroll based on FF and other games.
Money from music from games on spotify etc.

There are many aspects to something like this..... they also have a lot of mobile games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah it's a natural fit, but I am hoping for some co-op PvE type games in the mix.

Although I think those would be more controversial as many just want SP.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
For good reason too!
I think some of these GAAS games will be outsourced anyways, while their main studios work on the typical Sony games.

Lend the 1st party IP out to someone more experienced with GAAS games; and sort of naturally might piss off less Sony fans looking for their usual games.

PERSONALLY.. I'd love to see what a Sony studio would actually do w/ a big PVE co-op game though.. wouldn't need to be GAAS, but that's sort of all the rage these days.

*ducks from shoes being thrown*

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
PERSONALLY.. I'd love to see what a Sony studio would actually do w/ a big PVE co-op game though.. wouldn't need to be GAAS, but that's sort of all the rage these days.

This should be revealed soon. I suspect it'll be a PS5 exclusive.

5ae9c850e4b0d741c64e3fa1_1455589917779-yrd15k_t_1525270727306_640_360_400.gif

reksveks

I think I asked how steam was looking..
bvNoPg1.jpg

Can't find MAU but I will probably have to dig into the data later from steamdb.info

mckmas8808

Banned
I think some of these GAAS games will be outsourced anyways, while their main studios work on the typical Sony games.

Lend the 1st party IP out to someone more experienced with GAAS games; and sort of naturally might piss off less Sony fans looking for their usual games.

The bolded is what needs to happen. No reason for Sony 1st party (that we love) should be getting into big PVE co-op games. Leave those to the new teams that you sign up with like......

Jade Raymond's "Haven" studio
Ex-Halo and Destiny devs "Firewalk" studio

ksdixon

The stock deserves to be down..... the management team at PlayStation (and whoever is giving orders from above) really are not doing a good job on a strategic level.

-16% is a massive decrease in content and services and Jim has been pushing PSNow VERY hard, advertising is everywhere online.

Time for these fools to realize HARDWARE and EXCLUSIVES are the important things.

What did the PC games do for them? If anything lost them 3rd party sales due to gamers deciding they can experience things on PC instead.

Where is all the PC money?????? Idiots.....
Thank you!
Who the fuck still wants a Playstation 5 when they see Jim's strategy and go "so wait, with a PC I can have all my files, XB GP, Steam sales and PS exclusives at a later date (but they're GOTY/DX versions so I'm happy to wait)? And I can buy/upgrade a PC today whereas PS5's still Souled Out? Oh, and here's news that all that SSD/io speed talk was crap cause it works fast enough with lesser spec ssd's. Yeah... I don't need a stinking PS5! Or a PS6 next go-round".

Sony has about 44 billion cash and very low debt of 7 billion.

They could fund it all in debt or go half and half..... would cost about 12 billion with a 20% premium.
Square would be enough though with a bit of an increase in investment in Kadokawa.

From a financial standpoint Sega is a better investment than Square but Square is more IP rich...

If you want revenue and profit of Square and Kadokawa I can go looking...
You're acting as though PlayStation studios is the only thing Sony will want to be investing multiple billions of Dollars in.
They have multiple rather expensive departments that also require funding - one of which is imaging which eats up a lot of money in terms of R&D and manufacturing and is one of Sony's strongest business units with stable growth opportunities.

b6a6es

Banned
Hard to believe MS makes similar or more revenue than Nintendo. Do MS numbers really only include their gaming revenue? Or do they include something else that MS integrated on that division but isn't gaming related?
Minecraft moni

ksdixon

Yeah I'd say take the license and go and make a shitty game and we can use the studio for something else.....
Even just use them for Sony Sports Baseball.
Fully editable teams, so people can put the player/team names in if they wish.

Same gameplay, same pollish, meanwhile MLB scrambles to find someone to make their game, and then waits for them to actually make them, taking a year out at least.

MLB's bean counters trying to pull a powerplay won't like the sound of that and back away from the table. But Jim's an idiot...

The devs are the prize, not the license.

Bryank75

Banned
You're acting as though PlayStation studios is the only thing Sony will want to be investing multiple billions of Dollars in.
They have multiple rather expensive departments that also require funding - one of which is imaging which eats up a lot of money in terms of R&D and manufacturing and is one of Sony's strongest business units with stable growth opportunities.

I think they spent at least 3 billion recently on acquisition in just 2 departments.... Music got about 1.6 billion in just 6 months. Then they obviously bought Crunchyroll which has to be approved for 1.2 billion.

R&D doesn't come from cash on hand, it comes from annual budget and can be written off in many countries against tax.

Bryank75

Banned
Even just use them for Sony Sports Baseball.
Fully editable teams, so people can put the player/team names in if they wish.

Same gameplay, same pollish, meanwhile MLB scrambles to find someone to make their game, and then waits for them to actually make them, taking a year out at least.

MLB's bean counters trying to pull a powerplay won't like the sound of that and back away from the table. But Jim's an idiot...

The devs are the prize, not the license.

I'd call it MBL..... Major Baseball League. That would be a big 'fuck you' to them.

Bryank75

Banned
83g6L1s.png

I don't want to give Bryank75 Bryank75 a heart attack, but PC sales are in the "Others" category and that category grew by 90% and is twice as big as the physical software category (which gets hotly disputed weekly threads on here). Sorry Bryan!

I've been looking at this chart and I didn't see that accessories were in that category before.....

Did anyone look at that and question it? Mixing PC ports in with accessories in a new console launch year???

When hard ware is up over 110%, then it makes sense that accessories are up between 50-90% too, these things go hand in hand and many of the consoles are now bundles with peripherals to stop scalpers.

This is highly misleading from Sony and really counter the concept of transparency in investor relations and financial reporting.

ksdixon

Still no update whatsoever since 6/2020 for the best selling, most respected, best received title of all time. (if you listen to the TLOU2 Stans)

In reality this indicates that the game did far below expectations, which anyone paying attention would already know.

knn38n5xacf71.png
I wanna see the future sales numbers of TLOU FACTIONS STANDALONE vs TLOU2 vs TLOU1 Remake vs a potential TLOU3.

I'll bet TLOU1 Remake brings Joel's character in line with TLOU2's. And I can't see future TLOU games selling well without at least Ellie (damaged as she may be), especially if it's "Abbey and Lev's super happy fun time".

I'll always stand by the gameplay, which is why I still want FACTIONS game, but my god the story can get in the bin. I don't know if I want a TLOU game without Ellie, but then again I don't know if Ellie as a character can be salvaged either...

I think that's a good description, actually. I'm a TLOU1 and FACTIONS fan. I don't know if I'm a TLOU fan anymore...

ksdixon

So, they will lose all the MTX and 3rd party and subscription sales when people decide to go PC rather than PlayStation / console. It's stupid.

Not to mention backlash from hardcore fans.... I cancelled 4 subscriptions and I still have not bought Returnal due to them putting games on PC. So they might want to think about this again. Many people are pissed off and they are people that spend money..... more than most.
I bought an XBSX thanks to Jim Ryan's shit-ass comments. I mostly use it for BC and retroarch SEGA/PS1/PS2 BC. I even bought a Brook Wingman controller adaptor to use my PS4/PS5 controller on it.

Buffoon is destroying any desire for PS, as a customer who has a PS5 seeing everything go PC/PS4 also, BC getting spat on, I feel disregarded and disrespected.

Ryan will golden parachute out in a few years having made money, but the legacy and reputation will be left in ashes burned to the ground behind him.

Unknown?

I bought an XBSX thanks to Jim Ryan's shit-ass comments. I mostly use it for BC and retroarch SEGA/PS1/PS2 BC. I even bought a Brook Wingman controller adaptor to use my PS4/PS5 controller on it.

Buffoon is destroying any desire for PS, as a customer who has a PS5 seeing everything go PC/PS4 also, BC getting spat on, I feel disregarded and disrespected.

Ryan will golden parachute out in a few years having made money, but the legacy and reputation will be left in ashes burned to the ground behind him.
Hyperbole.

Bryank75

Banned

No doubt, he saw an opportunity to come in at the top and capitalize on others hardwork and just jack up prices and treat the customers like shit and milk us like cattle until he got out and then toot his own horn about best profitability ever while screwing the brand for the future.

ksdixon

Hyperbole.
How? Who wants a PS5 rather than waiting for an enhanced GOTY edition on PC a while later, enjoying XB GP, STEAM sales, etc in the meantime?

PS5 doing great off the backs of the PS4 and the idea of the scalper scarcity. But you have one, look around, and say "well shit, these games also on PC and PS4, huh? This dashboard sucks compared to PS4 too. I can't go back to PS4 cause the improved load times are fantastic, but this ain't it my guy".

Last edited:

b6a6es

Banned
I wanna see the future sales numbers of TLOU FACTIONS STANDALONE vs TLOU2 vs TLOU1 Remake vs a potential TLOU3.

I'll bet TLOU1 Remake brings Joel's character in line with TLOU2's. And I can't see future TLOU games selling well without at least Ellie (damaged as she may be), especially if it's "Abbey and Lev's super happy fun time".

I'll always stand by the gameplay, which is why I still want FACTIONS game, but my god the story can get in the bin. I don't know if I want a TLOU game without Ellie, but then again I don't know if Ellie as a character can be salvaged either...

I think that's a good description, actually. I'm a TLOU1 and FACTIONS fan. I don't know if I'm a TLOU fan anymore...
Characters come and go, Brand names stay forever

Im all in for TLOU3 having completely new cast

Last edited:
Top Bottom