• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Readies for Metaverse Revolution With Cross-platform Push

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whose ready for the GaaS Future ?

Japanese conglomerate Sony Group Corp said it is well-positioned to play a leading role in the metaverse, or immersive virtual worlds, which commentators speculate will massively disrupt industries and establish new powerhouses.

The metaverse is a vague term encapsulating the idea that consumers will spend more time in online simulated environments. While the concept is evolving, it has become a buzzword in briefings and a driver of industry dealmaking.

"The metaverse is at the same time a social space and live network space where games, music, movies and anime intersect," Chief Executive Kenichiro Yoshida said at a strategy briefing on Wednesday, pointing to the use of free-to-play battle royale title Fortnite from Epic Games as an online social space.

The firm is a gaming gatekeeper with its PlayStation 5 console, however observers point to the risk presented by the growth of cross-platform, cloud-based titles and their potential to reduce the influence of proprietary platforms.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Tired Good Night GIF by HBO Max

Keihart

The internet was a scam after all, imagine sending emails instead of writing letters or going to online boards instead of watching the good old news on the television.
That internet thing is never going to take off.

yurinka

PlayStation Home -Sony's GaaS metaverse- was very successful, they may release a new one for this gen but this time with VR support. Maybe it's the project being made at Haven, probably taking some lessons from Fortnite, GTA Online or Animal Crossing. Or who knows, maybe Bungie could make it too.

But regarding the article, I think they only made a recap with some current investor friendly buzzfords, I don't expect any important change in Sony's strategy.

It looks like Sony this gen are trying to be more like Microsoft.
No. Sony had things like camera based motion gaming, game subscriptions, cloud gaming, BC or crossbuy before MS. Even in mobile, Sony published mobile games back in the 00s even if it was something very secondary for them. In this case, they also had their F2P GaaS metaverse (and VR) before them: PS Home.

It's funny to see that MS does -or says they'll do, since MS has no metaverse or VR- something to mimic something that Sony successfully did before and if later Sony doubles down in this area with their related next gen iteration they are supposed to be copying MS, when Sony was there before them and were more successful than them.

Last edited:

BlueHawk

Neo Member
Well seeing as 85% of gaming revenue is from Free-To-Play - GaaS being the biggest, most popular games is inevitable.

I mean..."the use of free-to-play battle royale title Fortnite from Epic Games as an online social space"? Remember Playstation Home? Sony has been trying this for generations already...

I just see this as an evolution from previous strategies

Calverz

PlayStation Home -Sony's GaaS metaverse- was very successful, they may release a new one for this gen but this time with VR support. Maybe it's the project being made at Haven, probably taking some lessons from Fortnite, GTA Online or Animal Crossing. Or who knows, maybe Bungie could make it too.

No. Sony had things like camera based motion gaming, game subscriptions, cloud gaming, BC or crossbuy before MS. And in this case, they also had their metaverse (and VR) before them.

It's funny to see that MS does -or says they'll do, since MS has no metaverse or VR- something to mimic Sony and if later Sony doubles down in this area with their related next gen iteration they are supposed to be copying MS, when Sony was there before them and were more successful than them.

But regarding the article, I think they only made a recap with some current investor friendly buzzfords, I don't expect any important change in Sony's strategy.

No. Sony had things like camera based motion gaming, game subscriptions, cloud gaming, BC or crossbuy before MS. And in this case, they also had their metaverse (and VR) before them.

It's funny to see that MS does -or says they'll do, since MS has no metaverse or VR- something to mimic something that Sony successfully did before and if later Sony doubles down in this area with their related next gen iteration they are supposed to be copying MS, when Sony was there before them and were more successful than them.
Hmmm interesting. Just because Sony had a gaming vr headset and ps3 streaming from cloud, doesn’t automatically mean they will be able to compete with Facebook, Microsoft and google when it comes to metaverse. The mere fact they are going to enter that arena surprises me.

I was talking about subscription services, GAAS games, and a change of heart towards legacy content.

MiguelItUp

Everyone under 20 apparently.

I'm just glad that I'll be an old man by the time gaming is fully in the shitter.
Right? As someone that's approaching 40, I'm just hoping that video games will still have some gems by the time I retire. It's horrible to think about a world where I just completely toss my favorite hobby since birth to the wind. :(

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So... what am I supposed to be getting from this?!
You strap on VR goggles. And if you've ever had FaceTime or MS Teams meetings, replace the real people with 360/Wii looking avatars and together as a cartoony group you play games together or walk around simulated worlds.

Think of it like VR, but with tons of other people doing it too as if youre walking around a shopping mall.

yurinka

Hmmm interesting. Just because Sony had a gaming vr headset and ps3 streaming from cloud, doesn’t automatically mean they will be able to compete with Facebook, Microsoft and google when it comes to metaverse. The mere fact they are going to enter that arena surprises me.

I was talking about subscription services, GAAS games, and a change of heart towards legacy content.
Sony has PS3 cloud gaming since January 2014, many years before MS or Google started their cloud gaming service. We have absolutely no data leading to think MS or Google are more successful in cloud gaming than Sony.

Sony was very successful with their "metaverse" released in 2008. MS, FB and Google doesn't have any "metaverse".

Regarding game subs, Sony was the first one of them to have a game sub (subscription where you get games, PS+, 2010) and cloud gaming service (2014). MS, FB or Google didn't show any game sub with more subbers, and didn't show revenue generated from them to know if they ever did more money (with similar pricing and way less subs it's impossible).

We have the data to know Sony generates more revenue from gaming than MS, Google and Facebook. So Sony isn't the one who has to prove that can compete in gaming or with a metaverse. The other ones are the ones who have to prove it.

Regarding legacy content PS2, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, PS5 are BC. PS4 wasn't possible because of tech limits and needed hardware architecture change. The only change they did now is to bring back to PS4 and PS5 the digital PS1 and PSP crossbuy they alreday had between PSP, Vita and PS3. And since they now will have these games running in PS4 and PS5 they are able to include them in PS Now next to the PS2, PS3 and PS4 they already had there. It isn't a big change, is to tweak something they already had with something they already did in the past.

Regarding GaaS MS, FB or Google aren't top GaaS actors (MS will be once they close the ABK acquisition). But PlayStation has been the biggest platform for many of the most popular ones like Fortnite, FIFA, CoD, GTA Online and many more. Regarding their own games Sony already had several successful GaaS titles like PS Home, Little Big Planet or Gran Turismo but wasn't a big player. They will invest a bit more here making somewhere under a third of their 1st party games GaaS to follow the global AAA trend of GaaS being more successful.

Last edited:

Calverz

Sony has PS3 cloud gaming since January 2014, many years before MS or Google started their cloud gaming service. We have absolutely no data leading to think MS or Google are more successful in cloud gaming than Sony.

Sony was very successful with their "metaverse" released in 2008. MS, FB and Google doesn't have any "metaverse".

We have the data to know Sony generates more revenue from gaming than MS, Google and Facebook. So Sony isn't the one who has to prove that can compete in gaming or with a metaverse. The other ones are the ones who have to prove it.
Jesus Christ. Metaverse isn’t just gaming. Sony are reliant on azure servers for cloud computing. Do you know who owns them?

yurinka

Jesus Christ. Metaverse isn’t just gaming. Sony are reliant on azure servers for cloud computing. Do you know who owns them?
Sony isn't reliant on azure servers for nothing. They already have online multiplayer, game subscriptions, a metaverse and cloud gaming before making any deal with MS and Sony owns the related cloud gaming patents.

The only thing Azure provided Sony than their previous option was probably a cheaper price for servers for Sony in exchange for a cheaper price to allow MS use Sony patents regarding cloud gaming.

And yes, PlayStation Home wasn't just gaming. It was a virtual world focused on online interaction with other players, having many different activities like access to games or minigames, tons of microtransactions of branded stuff. It had a lot of customization items or areas from many different games, movies, etc.

Last edited:

Calverz

Sony isn't reliant on azure servers for nothing. They already have online multiplayer, game subscriptions, a metaverse and cloud gaming before making any deal with MS and Sony owns the related cloud gaming patents.

The only thing Azure provided Sony than their previous option was probably a cheaper price for servers for Sony in exchange for a cheaper price to allow MS use Sony patents regarding cloud gaming.

And yes, PlayStation Home wasn't just gaming.

What about productivity? Business? Work? Will Sonys PlayStation home app experience give them an advantage in those fields?

I've always admired how some people can talk in such authoritative language and be so utterly convinced they know what they are talking about when they are actually ignorant as fuck. It's truly a great skill as you can go through life totally happy and self content.

Your statement is silly because the metaverse and other functional level equivalents are social abstractions on gaming and software. Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo and Valve and the major publishers right now are competing in this layer, the gaming layer. There is also a parallel software layer composed of Facebook and Amazon and the like. These layers will converge and map to the higher layer metaverse and they are all positioning for the best mapping to control a dominant stake in whatever emerges.

Your comment that Sony partly relies on Microsoft for Cloud Computing, which is a layer below what was just described, is dumb. It's like me bringing up that Microsoft "are reliant on Xeon and Optane and Power9 and Q80-33 processors for computing. Do you know who owns them?" It doesn't matter. Or that they're reliant on Intel and TSMC or Samsung or IBM. Or that even they are reliant on people like ASML for EUV supplies.

In short. If you're going to make a comment, don't have the attitude.

Last edited:

yurinka

What about productivity? Business? Work? Will Sonys PlayStation home app experience give them an advantage in those fields?
At least until now virtual worlds/metaverses -like social media- are basically social based entertainment, but with 3D avatars.

So you can use them to communicate, meaning could be used for business or work. But there are other better, way more effective ways to do it than with 3D avatars. This productivity/business/work area of metaverses is marketing smoke, similar to "the power of the cloud". There's potential there for somewhere in the future, but nobody implemented something better using 3D avatars than a videoconference.

Last edited:
As long as it's them relaunching PlayStation Home and staying away from NFTs, fine. I think a lot of people would like to see PS Home come back with PSVR2 for example.

Selling Drake digital stickers looking like they were drawn by a 5-year old in Photoshop for $50? No thank you.

And yes, PlayStation Home wasn't just gaming. It was a virtual world focused on online interaction with other players, having many different activities like access to games or minigames, tons of microtransactions of branded stuff. It had a lot of customization items or areas from many different games, movies, etc.

IIRC Sony and Microsoft simply signed a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding), correct? Which is basically them setting some conditions where Sony could potentially leverage Azure in the future if desired, but in the meantime mainly involves the two sharing ideas back and forth?

In other words unless something's changed, I don't think Sony is actually using Azure cloud ATM, but they did upgrade their own existing servers and server software. It's not a 'strategic partnership' the way MS & Sega's agreement is, for instance.

Well, let's be honest here: to date there have arguably only been three notably successful (maybe four, if you count Fortnite) "virtual world" metaverse-like experiences. Those are:

-Second Life​
-PlayStation Home​
-GTA5: Online​
-Fortnite​

Those are the only four which have the most in common with at least some major aspects of what companies want this "metaverse" to be, and all have one thing in common: they're all from companies squarely in the core gaming business. The only exception to that, somewhat, is Second Life, but their developer (Linden Lab) was formed with people who came from companies such as, among others, EA and Disney, so even they had a strong core gaming & entertainment DNA from the get-go.

Google and Facebook have no real presence in the core gaming market; Microsoft does, but have struggled in terms of 1P outside of a small handful of franchises. They also have no experience with VR in the core gaming space from a 1P perspective, which is supposedly important for metaverse. Out of that list of those four games, the ones that was most designed to mimic an interconnected 3D social simulation world/universe are Second Life and PlayStation Home, but only one of them, PS Home, has a developer who has since also gone heavily into VR for core gaming.

Microsoft, Google, Facebook (well, less so Facebook these days with how much they've lost) may have a lot of money, but if we're talking in terms of big platform holders, Sony arguably has more experience in designing a fleshed-out "metaverse"-style interconnected 3D online social world (and targeted tuning of 3D entertainment (gaming) applications for VR) than all three of those companies combined. The only one that may come close is Facebook, but they lack the creative resources and game design experience of Sony. Microsoft has VR and AR initiatives in industries like cloud, medical, military etc. but none of that is actual experience on the gaming side, and you can't buy experience (well, you can hire "experience" but as a company you can't buy what experience teaches you with time). Google's only real advantage is having a lot of money, that's about it.

I would put Apple somewhere behind Facebook; Facebook has more VR experience in the consumer gaming/core gaming market, but Apple arguably have as much if not more gaming experience due to Apple Arcade. They have also gradually worked with game developers hailing from the core gaming scene on select games here and there. The reason I keep stressing the core gaming market is because IMO metaverse will only work if a company can make the experience feel intuitive, fluid, and entertaining with a high level of production polish and immersion.

AAA game development tends to stress those things more than other types of games, since they often have the most money invested into them and lead the market with cutting-edge graphics, animations, physics, audio design etc. Even many military simulators lack those level of production values. So to me, the company that has the most experience in those areas will probably be the first big success with any type of "metaverse" style concept, and in terms of just talking purely platform holders, Sony is in the lead over other competitors in that regard.

Though, again, something like another GTA Online or Fortnite with even further developed social elements and integration with real-world products, events etc. could be the first to it, as well.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People talk about metaverse... and I still no have clue what it is. Is that some ready player one type of thing?
Put on a VR helmet and instead of playing VR games in your basement, the game or office transforms into a digital world like it's simulating real life. Like you and bunch of friends play coop with your avatars.

Or at work, MS PR'ed instead of a standard MS Teams or Skype meeting, everyone put on a VR headset and you can pretend to sitting in a boardroom watching your digital coworker explain a PPT slide instead of just showing it on MS Teams. And if you have back to back meetings at the office in different rooms, when one meeting is done, you all walk together as digital selves into the other digital board room. All while doing this on your couch.

Sounds 100% retarded.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Put on a VR helmet and instead of playing VR games in your basement, the game or office transforms into a digital world like it's simulating real life. Like you and bunch of friends play coop with your avatars.

Or at work, MS PR'ed instead of a standard MS Teams or Skype meeting, everyone put on a VR headset and you can pretend to sitting in a boardroom watching your digital coworker explain a PPT slide instead of just showing it on MS Teams. And if you have back to back meetings at the office in different rooms, when one meeting is done, you all walk together as digital selves into the other digital board room. All while doing this on your couch.

Sounds 100% retarded.
So, VRChat but with no lolis nor furries?

This is just playing lip service to jittery, neurotic investors, who shit the bed every time a new fad tech buzzword makes it into the public consciousness and there's a fear that the company they're invested in may not be properly positioned to exploit it.

Top Bottom