• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Requires You To Login Weekly To Access PS Plus Extra Games (Downloaded games) (Gamebyte) (Sony Blogpost)

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Thats a brainless move at least at the first glance. Someone like me who has yearly reocurring sub, but hasn't logged in for over 8 months or so now will be forced to to fire up the console every single week? Might as well cancel the sub, if I have to do extra work after I already paid for a whole year. Why are MS always so much smarter in such little details than sony?
You seems to have trouble understanding what we are talking about here....You lose access to the subscriptions games if you spend 7 days without being logged to internet.But as soon as you log back in , no matter how much time there's been between those connexions you instantly get back all the games.....
Is this a concept too hard to understand or are people just wanting to see a problem where there is not?

JaksGhost

Thats a brainless move at least at the first glance. Someone like me who has yearly reocurring sub, but hasn't logged in for over 8 months or so now will be forced to to fire up the console every single week? Might as well cancel the sub, if I have to do extra work after I already paid for a whole year. Why are MS always so much smarter in such little details than sony?
You haven’t logged in for 8 months but you can use bandwidth to post on a forum. Yeah…

In for the justification posts.
Isn't it what subscription services are all about?

If you care one bit about that kind of thing you should do as I do: don't get a subscription service, from anyone.

Also, the best case scenario for people on these services is that the games would run for up to 4 weeks or so... So 25% of those affected it would make zero difference (they have to renew anyway) another 25% maybe would lose a few days, another group 7 to 14 days of play...

In the end it would be better if the games get tagged with your actual end of service date, but the difference is not that important.

MaKTaiL

I game share with my SO and I if I go offline for 15 minutes I already lose access to my own games so 1 week is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
You haven’t logged in for 8 months but you can use bandwidth to post on a forum. Yeah…
The acc has two way sign in, so now you'll have to bother signing in every week just to access a single exclusive you might like on the console. Completely unnecessary peskering from sony.

MaKTaiL

Don't you do the trick where your account is primary on her console and hers is on yours ?
That's exactly what I do and that's the problem. I lose access to my own games if I lose internet connection for 15 minutes. Her games I access just fine.

shaddam

One month would be better, 24 hour would be terrible, because the internet can go down for that time in shit situations. Hopefully nobody fucks up their servers for more than 7 days

MaKTaiL

Oh yeah I get it, on what platform are you?And her ?
Both PS5. I'm the one with PS Plus so all PS Plus games get locked out for me if I lose access to my internet connection (which is rare anyway). Sony should change license verification to once every 24h instead of once every 15 minutes. It's been like this ever since PS4 launched and it stayed tha way on PS5. I got used to it but it doesn't stop being annoying.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Both PS5. I'm the one with PS Plus so all PS Plus games get locked out for me if I lose access to my internet connection (which is rare anyway). Sony should change license verification to once every 24h instead of once every 15 minutes. It's been like this ever since PS4 launched and it stayed tha way on PS5. I got used to it but it doesn't stop being annoying.
Too bad, if one of you were on ps4 you could both log on the same account...At least it worked for me when I still had my ps4, maybe they changed it since.15 minutes seems rather small I agree, hopefully your conexion will not experience outage anymore.

SJRB

Gold Member
lrcV4XR.jpg

OcelotUnit

Neo Member
Is this not basically what happened with PS+ before if you didn't log in for ages? Seems utterly insane to be subscribed to a service that is used exclusively through the internet, then complain that you have to use the internet for it.

The comparison with the Xbox service outage doesn't work cos even games you owned didn't work.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Is this sarcasm? Please, tell me it's sarcasm.

RCU005

This service is definitely not for me then, since I can barely connect my PS5 very few times a month, sometimes even less..

Lognor

Banned
You go camping with a video game console that needs a tv and plugged in? Or are you talking about taking it to your cabin? Simple, enjoy the outdoors.

I don't think it is "common" for people to go on week long camping trips where there is both no internet AND they want to bring a home console with them. If you're going so far off the grid that there's zero internet (most campgrounds these days have wifi services anyway), then I highly doubt you're also lugging around a television and console. Seems like a very rare exception to me.

Because I know the number 1 concern of people going to the Grand Canyon is that they can't access their online games? Seriously, you are talking about extremely fringe scenarios here. Most people are playing at their residence most of the time.

Who takes a PS5 and monitor to a camping trip? Just play on your phone or take the Switch with you.
It wasn't my example. Surely an edge case, and not mine.

What about though, areas of the world that have poor internet infrastructure? This weekly check in could very well be a real problem in parts off the world like that.

Regardless, a seven day check in is way too short a time. Why not monthly? The minimum subscription is a month, right? You can't subscribe for a week, can you? So why not a monthly check in?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It wasn't my example. Surely an edge case, and not mine.

What about though, areas of the world that have poor internet infrastructure? This weekly check in could very well be a real problem in parts off the world like that.

Regardless, a seven day check in is way too short a time. Why not monthly? The minimum subscription is a month, right? You can't subscribe for a week, can you? So why not a monthly check in?
Yes areas with poor internet that can't access internet at least once a week but that can download games that are dozens of Gb...Which require to be online for a long time to download....People with a shitty internet don't subscrive to any service if they mostly can't access internet...It works for gamepass, netflix, games with gold and ps+ etc...

Lognor

Banned
Yes areas with poor internet that can't access internet at least once a week but that can download games that are dozens of Gb...Which require to be online for a long time to download....People with a shitty internet don't subscrive to any service if they mostly can't access internet...It works for gamepass, netflix, games with gold and ps+ etc...
Fair point. I guess we'll see if horror stories start popping up. I'm sure you'll downplay those stories however. ;)

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Fair point. I guess we'll see if horror stories start popping up. I'm sure you'll downplay those stories however. ;)
It is already like that for psnow so I think the horror stories would've popped in the last 7 years...But I am sure you will try your best to bring something up and will fail miserably like most of your posts on playstation related threads...
Unlike you I can admit when either brand does something bad look at my discussion with maktail....
Now maybe try to be more solid on your feet when spouting nonsense otherwise reality slaps you back.

Edit: small correction you can download on psnow since 2018, so the stories had 4 years to pop up not 7...

Last edited:

stn

Bring sunscreen?

Seriously, what's your point? You'll turn your PS5 on when you get home, it will automatically log in and you'll pick up exactly where you left off.
Maybe I am misunderstanding but wouldn't it be an issue if I am away for a week? Maybe I'm not getting it but I am reading it as you have to login to PSN at least once a week.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Maybe I am misunderstanding but wouldn't it be an issue if I am away for a week? Maybe I'm not getting it but I am reading it as you have to login to PSN at least once a week.
I really don't understand how some could think that?!
Let's take an example so maybe more will understand.
You are home and download a game on your console.
You go camping with the console (since apparently that's a thing that some people do)
You can play the downloaded game from the subscription for a week while being offline.
If it is longer you can no longer play the downloaded game.But if you manage to get wifi or mobile reception after like 10 days you log in once and you can play again for a week while being offline.
But if you login like a month after you can still play and access your games.
See it as an offline timer if offline timer > 7 days you can't play the downloaded game but every time you login timer==0 it doesn't lock your library or anything.

Belthazar

Sure you do have access to the internet, but really, will you go like "sorry guys, wait for me a sec because I have to login to PS+/XBL on my phone or else I'll lose the games I've been paying for in the past 2/3/4 years"? The fuck... If you're truly like this then you really have no life and gaming for you is to fill all the free time you have, so like I said, whoever defends it most likely doesn't leave home for more than just a few days tops.

What? I don't think you understood it correctly.

You don't permanently lose access to any of the games, at all. Whenever you log in on the internet they're all accessible again, even if you spend a year offline.

Mr Moose

You won't be able to play the game from the PSNow (+) service after a week offline, you would need to re-connect to the net to resume.

No, it's not an issue. Whenever you come back the game will just check behind the scenes if you're PS+ membership is still active when you start the game.

If you're connected to the Internet, you probably won't even know it checks.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Why is this thread so big ?

Sub services always need some connection check in at a vendor defined period. Game pass does, so will PS+.

End of story.
Some people legit misunderstood and though you were like "kicked" out of your subscription if you didn't connect once a week.
And other were concerned that they couldn't go camping with their consoles for more than a week...

Edit oh and some thought that people without access to internet wouldn't be able to play the games they've downloaded through internet...Go figure

Last edited:

sainraja

So you're taking multiple week long vacations, going to places with absolutely no Internet, yet somewhere you think bringing a PS5 is a good idea?

I'm sure this happens all the time.
Having to verify ownership monthly as he stated isn't a bad suggestion. Monthly verification is really what they need to do since you are paying monthly for it (after the monthly verification, we should have a valid access license for that specific month). I can't think of a reason why they went with weekly.

JaksGhost

Having to verify ownership monthly as he stated isn't a bad suggestion. Monthly verification is really what they need to do since you are paying monthly for it (after the monthly verification, we should have a valid access license for that specific month). I can't think of a reason why they went with weekly.
Because it’s always been weekly since they started allowing PS Now downloads in 2018.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sure a month would be better, maybe it is link to your date of renewal, like from week of the month you bough your subscription to same week of the next month?

Mr Moose

What if I go offline three weeks into my monthly sub or on the last day of my sub? Would it let me have up to a month "free" or would it know and boot me off at the correct date? I've never used PSNow and likely never will.

Kssio_Aug

Why is this thread so big ?

Sub services always need some connection check in at a vendor defined period. Game pass does, so will PS+.

End of story.
Exactly. That's a nonissue. For Playstation, Xbox, or whatever that uses online services nowadays, btw. The only thing remotely shocking is the amount of people with double standards.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Yep for those times where internet is down and mobile is down too for at least week...But I have a feeling that if this happens you'll have more trouble than playing your subscription games.
Once my whole town was cut from internet for two weeks because someone ripped off main communication cable during construction work.

Top Bottom