• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says it has ‘interesting, exciting, fantastic ideas’ for future PS5 system updates

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

That’s according to SIE’s platform experience SVP, Hideaki Nishino, who was speaking to the company’s official website following the release of PS5’s large September system update, which added support for SSD drive expansion and more.

Nishino claimed that his team has a large list of “interesting, exciting, fantastic ideas” that it still wants to implement on PS5, based partly on tracking how users behave on both PS4 and PS5 consoles.

“We learned a lot through PS4 and continue to learn about how players are using the system and how games are behaving,” he explained.

“We know what is most accepted and most popular; what features are not used. So, we had a gigantic list of things before PS5 launch that we wanted to do. Actually, we dreamed of doing everything.”

He added: “Did I digest the whole list? I don’t think so, yet. But, there are interesting, exciting, fantastic ideas on the list.

“At the same time, we launched PS5. So, we are receiving a bunch of feedback from the community through social networks or system telemetry, as well as the media, my family, my friends. We have tons of lists of the feedback.”

The exec claimed that community behaviour was at the core of how it decides to update PlayStation 5’s features, and that it had even dynamically made UX behaviour changes for small groups of users to compare how they’re used.

“As I said, when I look back at the list of things we need to do, there’s a lot,” he said. “There’s a lot the community is asking for as well. I want to say in the Japanese way, I’m diligently working on these lists and there will be more coming out in the future.

“I also want to say thank you to the community. We are not just whiteboarding our desired features. We work for customer needs. We really want to solve the problem in a delightful manner. That’s our core passion.

“We are here for the PlayStation [fans]. I’m always amazed by the feedback, how much the community loves PlayStation. It’s really great to hear player feedback, and at the same time, we get great feedback from creators as well.”

Concern

Waiting GIF

Three

Frankly I don't know why they changed it. What's better about it!? The cards? It just renders your past themes and folders useless and makes it unnecessarily new.

yurinka

He didn't mention a single feature they plan to add. But in any case, I want them all, and now:
season 2 please GIF by American Gods

I want them to bring back PS One Classics, to emulate them in PS4 and PS5 and allow me to play there at no extra cost the ones I already bought in PS3, PSP or PS Vita. An if possible, o allow me to insert and play there my PS1 and PS2 discs. Also, add PSP Classics an PS Vita Classics to PS4 and PS5.

I also want folders. But to store there not only the installed games, but also the uninstalled ones from my gallery. I have a huge collection of games and I don't want the uninstalled ones hidden in the gallery, and whn I want to reinstall one I wnat to find them faster. To allow me to include the uninstalled ones in these same folders (in PS4 I use folders for game genres) would fix it.

Not sure if it's already mentioned, but I'd also like to save uncompressed (or compressed with great quality) console screenshots or videos captured in the console on my PC or phone, maybe via the PS app (btw, would be nice to have the PS app on PC) or allow to share them directly in a ton of apps (Discord, Telegram, Whatsapp, Instagram, mail, forums... not only FB or Twitter).

Last edited:
I just want my folders back... Also, don't put the games news as the default thing when I call the in-game menu.

No need to change the world, I want a quick way to open my games.

Tschumi

I too have interesting, exciting, fantastic ideas. About <searches lexicon of funny subjects to avoid toilet humor> yo momma!

Edit: to clarify this comment implies that a single vague sentence isn't gonna stimulate any measure of speculation in me

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
"We are not just whiteboarding our desired features. We work for customer needs."

I need my folders back, thanks.

Last edited:
I want

*to put console into Rest by holding PS button
*the store and PS Now to load game "boxes" instantly. So u see everything while u scroll. Xbox doesn't have this issue
*gifting
*better filters in my game collection. so i dont have to look at installed games when im searching for something new to DL from my account.
*quicker way to see friends list
*quicker way to exit games

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

It's excellent except it feels like an extra button press to get to rest mode for the sake of being different. Just take out that long press, give us folders, and backgrounds.

Do not take away remote and share play. Add whatever else you want, maybe a Tinder app.

CamHostage

Well, I'd love to see it.

There were interesting/exciting/fantastic ideas that improved the consoles in the PS3/PSP/Xbox 360 era; sometimes just bread-and-butter better functionality while other times some crazy features that made the systems just fun to turn on and mess with. (The PS3 Corn Love theme is an all-timer. )

Through the PS4/Xbox One era, I feel like nothing ever caught my attention. Maybe there just wasn't much new to add because the novelty of an updateable game system was rich in that era and had worn off with the next generation, but I'd like to see some more interesting and functional live evolution in the PS5/XSX era.

So......system, not games

It's different parts of the office (even sometimes different external studios) making the OS changes, not the game design teams. And often, improvements to the OS make the games more fun by adding new interactivity/communication features.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I want them to bring back PS One Classics, to emulate them in PS4 and PS5 and allow me to play there at no extra cost the ones I already bought in PS3, PSP or PS Vita. An if possible, o allow me to insert there my PS1 discs.
This along with the PS2 classics I bought on PS3. Btw. Add more PS2 games. At least the popular ones.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I want them to bring back PS One Classics, to emulate them in PS4 and PS5 and allow me to play there at no extra cost the ones I already bought in PS3, PSP or PS Vita. An if possible, o allow me to insert there my PS1 discs.

You and me both, buddy. I don't think they've got it in them though.

EDMIX

How about adding stuff that worked on the ps4 like themes and folders?

How can it happen that with each generation they remove things that perfectly worked on the previous generation??🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Skipping the obvious vrr talk btw.😉

Tbh, thats like MOST software.

PS3 had folders and shit after it launched and many updates made it better, it wasn't just like that day 1, same with PS4, over time updates bring many features back, correct other features etc. PS5 would be no different and I don't see why it would if its a completely different OS.

As to why many loved XP near the end of its life, just like many of us loved Win 7 near the ending of its life, just like many currently love Win 10, when they make another Windows, of course lots of that quality of life stuff will slowly come over time.

None of this is brand new to software

Top Bottom