• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says it has ‘interesting, exciting, fantastic ideas’ for future PS5 system updates

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I want the off functionality when i hold down the ps button and not a press.

I should not need to press X to select the volume slider and press x again to confirm volume.

Be able to stop the beep when u power on

Last edited:

yazenov

It's hard to improve on perfection...

Jokes aside, Im having issues with wifi disconnecting intermittently, and im next to the router. Hope its fixed soon.

Gamerguy84

Connect hardwire.

I never use Wifi to game, haven't in over a decade.

Easily the worst way to play anything.

Been using the same powerline set up for 10 years going strong lol
What kind of speed you get with those PL adapters? When I used those u couldn't get any better than 70mbps.

Got fed up and ran cat6 everywhere now its fast. Remote play works great finally with no pixelation.

EDMIX

What kind of speed you get with those PL adapters? When I used those u couldn't get any better than 70mbps.

Got fed up and ran cat6 everywhere now its fast. Remote play works great finally with no pixelation.

They've gotten far better over the years.

Right now I'm literally getting like 99% exactly what I get hardwire directly to the modem. I have it set up in 5 rooms, only 1 room in my house gets like maybe 90% or something based on the wiring.
I don't get anything like 70 as my speed isn't that lol

I've had 25mb for years and never had much need for more. I'd say its a luxury I might help my self to in the future after I reward myself from completing a project or 2 lol

Jboemios

Banned
Waiting GIF
Men, I hate this gif so much. I want to punch that oldman everytome I see him

GeorgPrime

Banned

That’s according to SIE’s platform experience SVP, Hideaki Nishino, who was speaking to the company’s official website following the release of PS5’s large September system update, which added support for SSD drive expansion and more.

Nishino claimed that his team has a large list of “interesting, exciting, fantastic ideas” that it still wants to implement on PS5, based partly on tracking how users behave on both PS4 and PS5 consoles.

“We learned a lot through PS4 and continue to learn about how players are using the system and how games are behaving,” he explained.

“We know what is most accepted and most popular; what features are not used. So, we had a gigantic list of things before PS5 launch that we wanted to do. Actually, we dreamed of doing everything.”

He added: “Did I digest the whole list? I don’t think so, yet. But, there are interesting, exciting, fantastic ideas on the list.

“At the same time, we launched PS5. So, we are receiving a bunch of feedback from the community through social networks or system telemetry, as well as the media, my family, my friends. We have tons of lists of the feedback.”

The exec claimed that community behaviour was at the core of how it decides to update PlayStation 5’s features, and that it had even dynamically made UX behaviour changes for small groups of users to compare how they’re used.

“As I said, when I look back at the list of things we need to do, there’s a lot,” he said. “There’s a lot the community is asking for as well. I want to say in the Japanese way, I’m diligently working on these lists and there will be more coming out in the future.

“I also want to say thank you to the community. We are not just whiteboarding our desired features. We work for customer needs. We really want to solve the problem in a delightful manner. That’s our core passion.

“We are here for the PlayStation [fans]. I’m always amazed by the feedback, how much the community loves PlayStation. It’s really great to hear player feedback, and at the same time, we get great feedback from creators as well.”

So what are they copying next from Xbox? :D

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Really wish one of the updates included a controller deadzone slider.
Sick of stickdrift happening soo early. 😥
or Sony should improve their dualsense controller, they are still using the same analog stick wtf.

My first dualsense that comes with the PS5 already drifting, its not possible to play drift sensitive games like hitman 3.

Withnail

The most interesting part of the interview is that they can change parts of the interface remotely without a firmware update and they're doing A/B testing on the community to see what works best. Obviously this is common in web development but haven't seen anybody suggest it's happening on console front ends.

Duchess

This will probably never, ever happen, but something I'd like to see is the ability to transfer ownership of my digital PS4 + PS5 titles to other people. Or just lend them.

There could be a lot of money to be made from people selling their digital titles, too.

You could list it as a price you desire, another person "buys" the copy. The license is then transferred to them. Sony takes a fee for the sale, some of which they keep for themselves, while the rest goes to the publisher.

Withnail

Add in quick resume. It's the single best feature the Xbox OS has over PS5.

If the Activity Cards are implemented well then it amounts to the same thing. I'm currently jumping between Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima in 2-3 seconds without any loss of progress. It obviously depends on the game and how often it autosaves but I don't think it needs anything else at the system level.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
2 or 3-game quick resume, VRR and 3D audio for more speaker setups is all I need.
I'd rather have them focus on that than thinking of stuff that doesn’t really matter while I'm playing a game.

Killer8

If the Activity Cards are implemented well then it amounts to the same thing. I'm currently jumping between Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima in 2-3 seconds without any loss of progress. It obviously depends on the game and how often it autosaves but I don't think it needs anything else at the system level.

If it depends so much on the game implementation then it's an unreliable feature. The beauty of Xbox's quick resume is that because it's system level, you don't even have to think about the specifics like: does the game support it, will the game completely exit when I go back to the OS screen, will it resume exactly where I left off etc. It just works™.

One of the most annoying things in the early PS3 firmware days was how inconsistently the new features like in-game XMB and custom soundtracks were implemented. Left up to developers to implement, it was like a coin flip whether a game would support it. People don't want that level of uncertainty in a product.

It would be awesome if the games would install at the same time they are downloaded. It isn't fun waiting for two loading periods.

Also I can't find the setting that allows new updates to games to be downloaded when the system is already in rest mode. I always have to wake the system to start the download then put it back into rest mode. I'd like to have my games updated and ready to play when I get get out of that mode the first time.

KAL2006

Banned
1440p support
VRR
PS1 Classics
PSP Classics
PS2 Classics used better emulation (no input lag) and no trophy requirement so Devs can release games without having to create trophies

These are all doable for Sony as those emulators are already out they may need to update the emulators but that's all. PS1 emulator is already out on PSP, the emulator was also used for some remasters. PSP emulator was used for remasters on PS3 and PS4. And PS2 emulator is already out on PS4.

PS3 would be the only system that wouldn't be emulated but I can accept that as alot of the games have had PS4 Remasters such as Bioshock, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Last of Us, DmC and etc.

Dolby Vision gaming.
Dolby Vision UHD BR's.
VRR.
Optimizations to performance and loading.

If you can, I would suggest a stand alone UHD BR player from Sony. The one in the PS5 isn’t very good, and their stand alone units have Dolby Vision in them (and are great). There’s an appreciable difference in my standalone (that had Dolby Vision added via firmware update) and the PS5’s player.

But yeah, Sony is already putting this in their stand-alone players, so it makes no sense why it isn’t on the PS5 already.

Choose the default controller LED colors
Turn off beep at start
Dolby Vision (Gaming/UHD)
Folders
Themes
Hard Press PS button to Turn Off/Standby
1440p
VRR
PS1/PS2 Classics
PS1/PS2/PS3 BC

Does anyone know if the LED lighting on the console is full RGB? If so, control of that (save for when displaying during system errors/events) would be nice too.

reksveks

Sony is already putting this in their stand-alone players, so it makes no sense why it isn’t on the PS5 already.
Just think it's a cost and they don't think it drives incremental sales also might actually harm the total company due to the cannibalism of the uhd player sales.

assurdum

Banned
What a massive load of bullshits. They practically removed all the cool stuff about the PS4 OS. Can they explain why they removed the video streaming channels of the users? I used it very often to evaluate unknowns games, it was very useful. I don't give a fuck of their stupid surveys. Most of the new features I seen in the OS is about social media bullshits.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
1440p support
VRR
PS1 Classics
PSP Classics
PS2 Classics used better emulation (no input lag) and no trophy requirement so Devs can release games without having to create trophies

These are all doable for Sony as those emulators are already out they may need to update the emulators but that's all. PS1 emulator is already out on PSP, the emulator was also used for some remasters. PSP emulator was used for remasters on PS3 and PS4. And PS2 emulator is already out on PS4.

PS3 would be the only system that wouldn't be emulated but I can accept that as alot of the games have had PS4 Remasters such as Bioshock, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Last of Us, DmC and etc.
I envy you people who still believe sony can give a fuck about BC.

skit_data

Strange, then they should’ve included folders from the start. Now I fear we will never get it despite it being the most useful update for PS4.

Topher

Gold Member
It would be awesome if the games would install at the same time they are downloaded. It isn't fun waiting for two loading periods.

Also I can't find the setting that allows new updates to games to be downloaded when the system is already in rest mode. I always have to wake the system to start the download then put it back into rest mode. I'd like to have my games updated and ready to play when I get get out of that mode the first time.

1. Go to Settings > Saved Data and Game/App Settings > Automatic Updates.
  2. Turn on Auto-Download or Auto-Install in Rest Mode.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/automatic-updates-playstation/

Markio128

I can’t really think of anything that I want added; it’s a place where I spend very little time between playing games. I’d maybe prefer the list of installed games to run vertically, rather than horizontally; then have options for each game running horizontally, such as trophies, cards, etc,. I did miss themes in the beginning, but I have now gotten used to each game having its own kind of theme and I just don’t think they are necessary anymore.

I don’t want folders because they are so PC-ish. Not interested in VRR because I haven’t got an enabled TV (however, not to say I don’t want Sony to provide support for the dozens of people who would benefit).

I guess I am quite happy with how it is currently, truth be told.

Top Bottom