• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says it will now be much easier to find PS5s in stock

Kilau

Gold Member
Scalpers are scrambling, heres one dingus trying to return scalped ps5s posted on reddit a feew days ago. Mother karma slapped him in the nuts, cause the retailer apparently refused the returns.

cyty6pi90wea1.jpg
The bears in the background:

Comedy Laugh GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Lunarorbit

The target in Denver has had Ps5 in stock for a month a least. Saw a mom buy a ps4 last week and the sales person was doing a bad/confusing job of explaining why they should get a ps5 instead.

Good news for everybody else though

yazenov

That gap is only going to get bigger from now on. It already started since like september. Sony will want that headline "PS5 surpasses PS4's sales launch-aligned" as soon as possible. They always said that would happen during the next fiscal year that starts in April 2023 and goes until March 2024 and it's clearly doable. That Spider-Man 2 + PS5 bundle for black friday alone...yeah it'll be interesting to see.

I wonder how much this console could be at right now if not for covid and all the production issues it faced...

Sony having PS5 stock available to meet the demand is probably a nightmare scenario for MS as they have benefited initially from the severe shortages of the PS5. The only "next-gen" option on the market for potential consumers was the series S and it no doubt benefited from the competition not showing up to the race.

However, from the leaks, we saw that Sony was catching up in sales and surpassed the Xbox sales once the stock was available, selling almost double the sales of the Xbox Series X/S in the US in certain months, which is MS's strongest market.

Sales threads should be fun this year with the excuses for the lack of sales due to shortages being a non-factor. I hope we get more leaks.

Last edited:
Just checked playstation direct and the standalone digital version is out of stock, same at Argos. Checked other outlets and they don't even stock the digital version on it's own. Just silly bundles either with extra controllers or games I'm not arsed about bumping up the price significantly.

It's good you can get them fairly reasonably now, just they force a very expensive game on you that I'd only consider on a deep sale in a year or two. At least the bundles aren't crazy offloading £400 of junk like last year.

jm89

Now follow this news up by cancelling the PS4 versions of all games in development as well
Isn't all their future exclusives ps5 only now?

I think some third parties will be reluctant to go ps5 only in the short term, if you see the spanish and japanese sales charts ps4 versions are still selling well, mainly because those regions were not getting much ps5s and having to stick to ps4. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case in a few european countries regarding ps4 versions selling on par or better then ps5 version.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Lets Go Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

This makes no sense. If "practically nobody" is willing to pay over MSRP, the PS5 would be readily available online and in stores. If that isn't the case, then the demand still outstrips the supply at MSRP, therefore the market value of the product is higher than MSRP and scalpers could sell for >MSRP.
In theory sure but the used listings don't corroborate that. I've been on/off anecdotally tracking it in Japan (by that I mean just going on the app once a day and seeing what's there, how long it's been there and how much it's going for). PS5s used to be going for way over MSRP but now they're only just a bit over MSRP. That might (not definitively) suggest that scalpers have realized the game is up and they're trying to cut their losses (I'm not sure how the refund system works for PS5s in particular but I suspect it's a 30-day money back thing) so anyone holding it over that period cannot do anything except sell it for as much as they can get for it.

I think (at least in Japan) we're at the point where demand is only just outstripping supply such that PS5s are coming in stock but being quickly bought up by "genuine" consumers (ie far fewer scalpers are buying them). At the same time, the fact that PS5s are barely higher than MSRP on the used/resale market suggests that most of the people who still want a PS5 have to decided to try their hand at getting one at retail rather than paying scalper prices.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony having PS5 stock available to meet the demand is probably a nightmare scenario for MS as they have benefited initially from the severe shortages of the PS5. The only "next-gen" option on the market for potential consumers was the series S and it no doubt benefited from the competition not showing up to the race.

However, from the leaks, we saw that Sony was catching up in sales and surpassed the Xbox sales once the stock was available, selling almost double the sales of the Xbox Series X/S in the US in certain months, which is MS's strongest market.

Sales threads should be fun this year with the excuses for the lack of sales due to shortages being a non-factor. I hope we get more leaks.

Absolutely, it's going to be interesting to see where the actual demand sits on PS5 as there is more than enough stock to cover 24/7 sales and it's not selling out anymore. Should give us a clear indication of actual sell through.

Guwop

Neo Member
This is true. The PS5 has been pretty easy to find for the last few months. However the digital version is usually sold out everywhere.

Guwop

Neo Member
This. 700 € forced bundles means it is not available yet.
Best Buy, Walmart, Gamestop and quite a few other retailers have plenty of non bundled versions at MRSP. Sometimes they get sold out, but they usually get restocked pretty quick. Its actually been like that for the last few months.

Last edited:
Time to start looking for a PS5 DE! Been waiting until they were easy to find. Going to have a backlog of exclusives to play soon. Guess I better start paying attention to Sony's digital sales too.....

Never thought I’d see the day when PS5 is available everywhere but Series X is out of stock. MS needs to fix their production chain.

sainraja

Most of you do realize that they are now starting to market "easily available", because, they have been tracking availability and sales enough to confidently tell people that the system should be easy to find now?

Last edited:
What leaks?

Boneless

But why would you want one, there are hardly any decent exclusives. At least FFXVI is coming this this year...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Playstation showcase 2023 confirmed!!!???
There is some logic to this. Why have a showcase when you could not even find the systems last year? Now that they are readily available, seemingly, a showcase could follow. They definitely upped their marketing push the past several days.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Playstation is just such a well oiled "machine."

Multiple big exclusives every year, crazy manufacturing abilities... the $400 (at least at first and still in the US) priced DE edition being the best value in gaming hardware.

Now just in time for some huge games like Spidey 2 and a big year for 3rd party games they are out-crazying even their original crazy supply-chain abilities.

Playstation is just such a well oiled "machine."

Multiple big exclusives every year, crazy manufacturing abilities... the $400 (at least at first and still in the US) priced DE edition being the best value in gaming hardware.

Now just in time for some huge games like Spidey 2 and a big year for 3rd party games they are out-crazying even their original crazy supply-chain abilities.

I think they designed the hardware that way. I don't think its a coincidence they they are able to cut costs so easily and to increase production.

Lets Go Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

In theory sure but the used listings don't corroborate that. I've been on/off anecdotally tracking it in Japan (by that I mean just going on the app once a day and seeing what's there, how long it's been there and how much it's going for). PS5s used to be going for way over MSRP but now they're only just a bit over MSRP. That might (not definitively) suggest that scalpers have realized the game is up and they're trying to cut their losses (I'm not sure how the refund system works for PS5s in particular but I suspect it's a 30-day money back thing) so anyone holding it over that period cannot do anything except sell it for as much as they can get for it.

I think (at least in Japan) we're at the point where demand is only just outstripping supply such that PS5s are coming in stock but being quickly bought up by "genuine" consumers (ie far fewer scalpers are buying them). At the same time, the fact that PS5s are barely higher than MSRP on the used/resale market suggests that most of the people who still want a PS5 have to decided to try their hand at getting one at retail rather than paying scalper prices.
Sure if you see prices drop it means that supply is picking up. It has nothing to do with scalpers. They don't affect supply. You can use them as an indicator of whether the supply is currently meeting the demand. If so, scalpers cease to exist as they can't make a profit. Also I'm not sure what you mean by "genuine customers". Scalpers don't keep the consoles, they sell them to customers. Scalpers don't affect supply at all (they do affect demand). They got little to do with anything really. They do make for nice scapegoats though. :)

Shtef

Its available in my local store but the price is absurd, 880USD for just basic disk edition, no additional games or controllers.

LimanimaPT

Great. Now lower the price, because 700 euros for what is in it's essence a toy, it's just too much. I'll think about getting one when it costs 400.

EdIt: let me just add, that I suspect that this supply shortness will be the norm for future consoles. First time I see a console price going up. Good for the manufacturers I guess...

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
They have been easy to find in stock frequently for most of 2022 at this point, same with Xbox (in the UK atleast for both systems)

Anyway, for anyone still after a ps5 but doesn't have £540 to pay in one go.

Very have a whole host of consoles in stock, including ps5 digital, you can pay off as little or as much as you like, as long as you pay it off within 9 or 12 months.

And you usually get the console next day delivery, the only thing you need to pay off quickly is the postage what is £3.99.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Boom!

We are finally out of the manufacturing woe days for playstation. 2023 should be a record breaking year for Sony and rhe playstation team.

SteadyEvo

Scalpers are scrambling, heres one dingus trying to return scalped ps5s posted on reddit a feew days ago. Mother karma slapped him in the nuts, cause the retailer apparently refused the returns.

cyty6pi90wea1.jpg
Serves him right. Asshole. He should be able to move them at or just below retail.

Last edited:

Eotheod

It's also easy to not pay $850 as well. Stupid as heck pricing on these consoles, quite glad I was able to get XSX on launch through Telstra deal so I could generate their store credits. The price tag is no doubt a real hamstring for a lot of people, especially those with PS4's that are starting to see new releases opt out of their version or delayed.

Top Bottom