• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says Over 100 PlayStation VR2 games are in development

I don’t understand those complaining about quest ports tbh. What difference does it make? I reckon the percentage of PS5 owners that own/have owned a quest as well is incredibly small.

Personally, I’ve only ever played a golf game (it was great) on my brothers quest, so there are a ton of games I haven’t played. I’m sure that’s the same for most early adopters of psvr2.

Quest ports is an issue, because if people are thinking of buying a PSVR in whole or in part, because of enhanced ports of those games they may have or have never played before, Quest 3, and the other incoming headsets announced for this year in droves, will all ALSO do that.

Markio128

Quest ports is an issue, because if people are thinking of buying a PSVR in whole or in part, because of enhanced ports of those games they may have or have never played before, Quest 3, and the other incoming headsets announced for this year in droves, will all ALSO do that.
That sounds like a you concern. I’m not interested in any other VR headset and no amount of forced concern is going to diminish my excitement for PSVR2 which I will be playing in literally just a couple of weeks.

Crayon

But how many of the quest three games are quest ports.

That sounds like a you concern.

No, it's a market concern, and you're trying to deflect it toward me. I also never mentioned anything about your excitement at all. I was talking about market performance.

If those are the reason or a major reason for buying a PSVR2, and there's multiple option to get the same result or cheaper, along with new games PSVR2 won't get (more than vice versa) then that would cause someone to hesitate on buying PSVR2.

Even if they were casual games, Sony needed more exclusives, even timed to really push itself out here.

But how many of the quest three games are quest ports.

Don't know, but people would be able to get them cheaper on a Quest 3.

Markio128

No, it's a market concern, and you're trying to deflect it toward me. I also never mentioned anything about your excitement at all. I was talking about market performance.

If those are the reason or a major reason for buying a PSVR2, and there's multiple option to get the same result or cheaper, along with new games PSVR2 won't get (more than vice versa) then that would cause someone to hesitate on buying PSVR2.

Even if they were casual games, Sony needed more exclusives, even timed to really push itself out here.

Don't know, but people would be able to get them cheaper on a Quest 3.
I honestly couldn’t give a shiny shite about the market. I’m a gamer, not a stakeholder. The Switch and PS5 are selling more than the Xbox currently, but people still buy and enjoy the Xbox. This thread topic (if I recall) was about 100 games being in development, which you conveniently added your personal concerns to. I’m more interested in the games than your opinion on the matter.

Downgraded game and headset for cheaper. Sounds fair I'm sure some will go for that and some will go the other way.

Donwgraded? Quest 3 will enhance those Quest 2 ports the same as the PSVR2 would. Developers are not going to put in extra effort for the PSVR2 to see a notable difference.

The games that are PSVR2 only, we need to see how those do in comparison to the enhanced low-end PCVR and Quest 2 enhanced ports.

Sony needs those to attract more people than the others, and if that succeeds it will put PSVR2 out there and people may go for the difference. Though it depends on what TCL, HTC entry-headset, etc bring to the table, and what the PSVR2 tier or higher headsets bring.

This is going to be a packed year, Sony needs to striker early and build momentum.

I honestly couldn’t give a shiny shite about the market. I’m a gamer, not a stakeholder.

Which means you would want your PSVR2 to be supported frequently and not drop off to a trinkle and then abandoned. That is why the market matters.

The Switch and PS5 are selling more than the Xbox currently, but people still buy and enjoy the Xbox.

VR is literally an industry where currently around 90% of the players barely sell, and support is dropped if attempts to change that don't work out. Competitors are not selling millions of software and units like game consoles are, and they are mostly targeting the same two markets at high-prices and barriers to entry that make it so that people generally won't buy multiple and will stick to one in most cases.

It's great you are excited for PSVR2, but I never said you shouldn't be excited, the discussion about the market is still important regardless.

Markio128

Games or experiences? There's a big difference to me.
Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Crayon

Donwgraded? Quest 3 will enhance those Quest 2 ports the same as the PSVR2 would. Developers are not going to put in extra effort for the PSVR2 to see a notable difference.

Oh yeah. Eye tracking, oled, haptices, force feedback, ventilation. Downgrade. And you can wait to see whether a ps5 with foveated rendering can make better graphics than a mobile chip but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the ps5.

Last edited:

Markio128

The games that are PSVR2 only, we need to see how those do in comparison to the enhanced low-end PCVR and Quest 2 enhanced ports.

Sony needs those to attract more people than the others, and if that succeeds it will put PSVR2 out there and people may go for the difference. Though it depends on what TCL, HTC entry-headset, etc bring to the table, and what the PSVR2 tier or higher headsets bring.

This is going to be a packed year, Sony needs to striker early and build momentum.

Which means you would want your PSVR2 to be supported frequently and not drop off to a trinkle and then abandoned. That is why the market matters.

VR is literally an industry where currently around 90% of the players barely sell, and support is dropped if attempts to change that don't work out. Competitors are not selling millions of software and units like game consoles are, and they are mostly targeting the same two markets at high-prices and barriers to entry that make it so that people generally won't buy multiple and will stick to one in most cases.

It's great you are excited for PSVR2, but I never said you shouldn't be excited, the discussion about the market is still important regardless.
I’m not sure why you are so focused on the market. It sounds like you have gone way off topic, according to your own title.

My favourite gaming memories come from N64 and Dreamcast. I didn’t care how many consoles they sold, only how amazing their game libraries were. If PSVR2 only sells 1 piece of hardware (mine), at least I’ll still experience GT7 in VR, which is a dream come true for me. That is literally all that should matter to a gamer.

I’ll leave it to you to worry about the potential failure of PSVR2.

I’m not sure why you are so focused on the market.

Many of the games in the title are from the market, and the reason why they made the announcement was to make the headset look appealing to the market.

You are oversimplifying things, but that's fine, it's not about failure which is what you want to believe, it's about looking at the VR market in general.

No one is stopping you for being excited for PSVR2, have fun, enjoy.

Oh yeah. Eye tracking, oled, haptices, force feedback, ventilation. Downgrade. And you can wait to see whether a ps5 with foveated rendering can make better graphics than a mobile chip but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the ps5.

We've seen gameplay for various ports on PSVR2, and many of them have nothing but marginal upgrades.

There's a handful utilizing the SVR2 specs more,

For most of these games any of the several sub$500 competitors can do similar.

The ones above that in the premium segment can do that too. Most devs aren't going to put in the effort for bigger enhancements.

Crayon

We've seen gameplay for various ports on PSVR2, and many of them have nothing but marginal upgrades.

There's a handful utilizing the SVR2 specs more,

For most of these games any of the several sub$500 competitors can do similar.

The ones above that in the premium segment can do that too. Most devs aren't going to put in the effort for bigger enhancements.

A) I don't think you're going to see any of that in screenshots.

B) those few games that are showing off what you can see and screenshots are the games that people have been asking for for years. Games with good graphics, in short. They are not showing up looking anywhere near that good on quest 3.

C) tell me about the headsets in the premium segment and their prices.

If the CMA comes out against this, it's absolutely over. You can read articles about the CMA and British courts... They aren't going to overrule the CMA, unlike the FTC they have pretty wide-sweeping powers.

Once it is clear that you aren't going to be victorious, you have to cut out early. Losing half a billion dollars when you're already struggling financially (xbox, not microsoft) over something that is done and done, makes no sense.

They'll fight it til April maybe, but they'll pull out.
That's a lot of ignorance about how the CMA works.
It's also funny, since they are going to approve the deal.

I wonder if one of those hundreds of games is a VR version of the first Uncharted. It is the perfect game for VR. Climb, arena battle, search, rinse and repeat. Playing in VR as Drake in the original (it was rumored it was being remade, or am I thinking of something else?). I honestly can't think of a better game to make the 1:1 transition to VR.

That sounds like a you concern. I’m not interested in any other VR headset and no amount of forced concern is going to diminish my excitement for PSVR2 which I will be playing in literally just a couple of weeks.
It's a Sony concern though. If you think the average consumer is going to buy a PSVR2 and PS5 over a Quest 3 which requires no other hardware, you're fooling yourself.

I love my PSVR2, but that changes nothing, when it comes to VR, Quest is the most known product with the cheapest adoption price.

Sony can't coast on ports from Quest, and so far, that's the vast majority of what we're seeing.

nowhat

Steam adds like a dozen VR games every week, this headline is as worthless as the turd I just flushed down the toilet without some elabortion on what exactly is in development, and by whom.
Sorry for the necro reply, missed the thread when it was posted, but do you often give development updates to your turds? Not judging, just curious.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's a Sony concern though. If you think the average consumer is going to buy a PSVR2 and PS5 over a Quest 3 which requires no other hardware, you're fooling yourself.

I love my PSVR2, but that changes nothing, when it comes to VR, Quest is the most known product with the cheapest adoption price.

Sony can't coast on ports from Quest, and so far, that's the vast majority of what we're seeing.

A Quest2 here in the UK is £400 for last gen tech and mobile phone type games, for an extra £160 you get a next gen headset and a game that a Quest2 would struggle to run the menu ffs

HTK

Banned
If Sony were to revisit some of the older ips for VR games, holy shit. Fucking day one for something in VR from:

Warhawk
Killzone
Motorstorm
SOCOM
Really? 3RD Person shooters in VR, please stop. I don't want Sony's top tier studios developing for VR to be honest.

A Quest2 here in the UK is £400 for last gen tech and mobile phone type games, for an extra £160 you get a next gen headset and a game that a Quest2 would struggle to run the menu ffs
Yes, because the PSVR2 runs just fine without a 500$ PS5, right?

Oh, wait....

Also, Quest 3 is still likely to be cheaper, and also doesn't require any extra hardware.

I hate FB/Meta, but they are currently the name in VR,

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Oh, wait....

Also, Quest 3 is still likely to be cheaper, and also doesn't require any extra hardware.

If you're happy playing mobile phone games more power to you, it's not like the Quest3 is gonna be anywhere near PS4 let alone PS5 level graphics

Oh, wait....

Yeah dude and you will play shitty ass looking games with the dated quest mobile hardware. Can you play Alyx without a beefy pc? Another $2000 for you INNIT????

DaGwaphics

Have they said if there's an included video/cinema app? So if I stick in my 3D Blu-ray of Avatar I can finally watch it again along with all the others sitting in a box collecting dust, even the low Rez PSVR1 was actually pretty decent for movies

With some movies still getting 3D support in theaters, I've always thought it was odd that no one is pushing that as a selling point for a media consumption headset. Video tends to just be about 360 video, vs. cinematic 3D experiences. Maybe they figure they've burned the 3D bridge with customers already.

mckmas8808

Banned

Bro the device just came out 2 weeks ago. Come on!

Bro the device just came out 2 weeks ago. Come on!
Yes, it came out two weeks ago, and some of you are far too hyped about it to be objective. It’s a great headset, but you guys greatly overestimate how many gamers care about VR enough to spend 600$ on top of a PS5.

I’d like to be wrong because I want this to be supported well, but I don’t even expect it to sell PSVR numbers, let alone quest.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yes, it came out two weeks ago, and some of you are far too hyped about it to be objective. It’s a great headset, but you guys greatly overestimate how many gamers care about VR enough to spend 600$ on top of a PS5.

I’d like to be wrong because I want this to be supported well, but I don’t even expect it to sell PSVR numbers, let alone quest.
It's an expensive toy fo sure and the majority of gamers ain't gonna splash that much cash on a peripheral no matter how amazing it is, Sony needs to really work on getting that cost down or sell it into the PC space to make up the costs

Sony should really push for most games to have a VR mode. And I dont mean full on Resident Evil VR mode. I mean just having stereo 3D mode so it looks like Moss or Astrobot.
I'd definitely play Spiderman in PS4 level graphics 120fps VR.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Wouldn't that make for an overall healthier VR market? PSVR2 will have its share of exclusives and has launched with 2 pretty big ones. There is nothing wrong with having non-exclusive content regardless of how much you try to make that into a negative. Not sure why you have such a hangup on PSVR2.

What a waste of development time and resources. Where are all the first party AAA games? I really don't want Naughty Dog or Santa Monica wasting time with VR. The tech is still cumbersome to wear and the visual fidelity still requires too much power. Could they just not have waited on this?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

What a waste of development time and resources. Where are all the first party AAA games? I really don't want Naughty Dog or Santa Monica wasting time with VR. The tech is still cumbersome to wear and the visual fidelity still requires too much power. Could they just not have waited on this?
I play mostly indie games, since AAA games are increasingly boring and also more expensive, so I'm absolutely fine with the launch line-up and the upcoming games! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Vexed Dad

Neo Member
as a Quest 2 owner without a PC, and as a PS5 owner, I’ve gotta say the PSVR2 is a better option. While I liked the Quest 2, I just found the native games poor, particularly graphically.

HTK

Banned
Yes because all of those games on the list are 3rd person and while making a VR game in any of those series they should never change the viewpoint and make sure everything is 3rd person.

/s
Yeah I want them to stay in 3rd person, I just don’t think 3rd person lends itself to VR…

But if you don't want the...
You know exactly what I meant, don't try to sound like you can go around the bush and be sneaky here. AAA First Party means regular PS5 titles. Even if Naughty Dog/Santa Monica makes AAA games that doesn't mean I want them in VR.

Last edited:
You know exactly what I meant, don't try to sound like you can go around the bush and be sneaky here. AAA First Party means regular PS5 titles. Even if Naughty Dog/Santa Monica makes AAA games that doesn't mean I want them in VR.
So don't play VR games. Sony should still have their first party working on VR. It wopuld be ridiculous not to.

So don't play VR games. Sony should still have their first party working on VR. It wopuld be ridiculous not to.
The best solution for this would be for Sony to create a dedicated VR development team. That team can also be guided by the first party like Naughty Dog or Santa Monica if the VR team is making an existing IP for VR. Basically the other studios would supervise as needed.

Also, the originam 1st party studios working strictly on a dedicated VR title wouldn't make any sense simply because of these reasons

-They'd consumer would be forced to buy another $500 device to play them.

-VR is not mainstream enough for a 1st party developer like Naughty Dog to be spending a budget worth of a $100 million or more on development. It just makes no business sense to invest such a crazy amount of money for something that's still niche.

Studios like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica exist to sell the PS5 system itself, not an additional perhipral with their high budget titles. Therefore, it just wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The best solution for this would be for Sony to create a dedicated VR development team. That team can also be guided by the first party like Naughty Dog or Santa Monica if the VR team is making an existing IP for VR. Basically the other studios would supervise as needed.

Also, the originam 1st party studios working strictly on a dedicated VR title wouldn't make any sense simply because of these reasons

-They'd consumer would be forced to buy another $500 device to play them.

-VR is not mainstream enough for a 1st party developer like Naughty Dog to be spending a budget worth of a $100 million or more on development. It just makes no business sense to invest such a crazy amount of money for something that's still niche.

Studios like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica exist to sell the PS5 system itself, not an additional perhipral with their high budget titles. Therefore, it just wouldn't make sense.
Isn't what Valve did with Alyx a huge contradiction to this? By all accounts it's the best VR game ever made, and they made it a cannon part of the HL story. Why wouldn't Sony be able to see similar success with their games?

Buggy Loop

Yeah dude and you will play shitty ass looking games with the dated quest mobile hardware. Can you play Alyx without a beefy pc? Another $2000 for you INNIT????

Wow

I'm fed up with this mentality that it costs so much for PC. You guys don't ever come participate in discussions on the hardware or even Digital Foundry's build to match console equivalent settings. All i see is poor fucking technical knowledge. I guess you should really stay on consoles and only plug it via HDMI, that's about the ceiling innit?

Jist of it in case you don't want to click : Half Life Alyx runs on a potato from circa 2016, the most common card seen in Steam hardware survey in the past years, although its share % is shrinking as better cards are out.

I'll re-post what i did yesterday in another thread :

I won't bother to scour ebay for old pascal deals, but, based on Richard's build, i would put a 6700XT in rather than the A770 for way better performances.

It would be overkill for Half Life Alyx and most PCVR. But at the benefit of console equivalent settings as per Digital Foundry's video (much better than A770).

Could scour ebay for a $75 1060 6GB or a $150 2060 super and save. I'm pretty sure someone better than me could optimize this even further, i didn't bother to look for SSD deals or anything. Same for the older Zen processors, plenty of choice there. Could probably lower power supply power, etc. But my lazy build is not bad, even with the crazy GPU prices.

Quest 2 + AMD build $400+$825 = $1,225
PSVR 2 + PS5 $550+$560 = $1,110

But..What are you really getting with the top visual games (Horizon, RE8) on PS5 is interpolation ghosting since they're running 60fps interpolated to 120 fps. Less than ideal settings too. RE8 modded, not even official dev support, at medium settings on a 2070 super wipes the floor in visuals with the PS5 version.

Resident Evil Village - Through the Lens face-off: Praydog mod (Quest 2) vs Official (PSVR2)

So a lazy PC build that surpasses Digital Foundry's console equivalent setting experiment will absolutely destroy almost all PCVR games on its path. Doesn't even need foveated rendering with 60→120 fps interpolation or the official Capcom support to surpass it on even Turing.

Go enjoy PSVR 2 for all i care, please do, more the merrier in VR. Stop spreading BULLSHIT about PC prices. Even with crazy GPU market, DF's build is solid alternative. Remove the online costs to play multiplayer and the higher prices on consoles that that different just melted away, without even looking for a deal on components.

Top Bottom