• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says Over 100 PlayStation VR2 games are in development

Minsc

Gold Member
Wow

I'm fed up with this mentality that it costs so much for PC. You guys don't ever come participate in discussions on the hardware or even Digital Foundry's build to match console equivalent settings. All i see is poor fucking technical knowledge. I guess you should really stay on consoles and only plug it via HDMI, that's about the ceiling innit?

Jist of it in case you don't want to click : Half Life Alyx runs on a potato from circa 2016, the most common card seen in Steam hardware survey in the past years, although its share % is shrinking as better cards are out.

I'll re-post what i did yesterday in another thread :

I won't bother to scour ebay for old pascal deals, but, based on Richard's build, i would put a 6700XT in rather than the A770 for way better performances.

It would be overkill for Half Life Alyx and most PCVR. But at the benefit of console equivalent settings as per Digital Foundry's video (much better than A770).

Could scour ebay for a $75 1060 6GB or a $150 2060 super and save. I'm pretty sure someone better than me could optimize this even further, i didn't bother to look for SSD deals or anything. Same for the older Zen processors, plenty of choice there. Could probably lower power supply power, etc. But my lazy build is not bad, even with the crazy GPU prices.

Quest 2 + AMD build $400+$825 = $1,225
PSVR 2 + PS5 $550+$560 = $1,110

But..What are you really getting with the top visual games (Horizon, RE8) on PS5 is interpolation ghosting since they're running 60fps interpolated to 120 fps. Less than ideal settings too. RE8 modded, not even official dev support, at medium settings on a 2070 super wipes the floor in visuals with the PS5 version.

Resident Evil Village - Through the Lens face-off: Praydog mod (Quest 2) vs Official (PSVR2)

So a lazy PC build that surpasses Digital Foundry's console equivalent setting experiment will absolutely destroy almost all PCVR games on its path. Doesn't even need foveated rendering with 60→120 fps interpolation or the official Capcom support to surpass it on even Turing.

Go enjoy PSVR 2 for all i care, please do, more the merrier in VR. Stop spreading BULLSHIT about PC prices. Even with crazy GPU market, DF's build is solid alternative. Remove the online costs to play multiplayer and the higher prices on consoles that that different just melted away, without even looking for a deal on components.

The textures on RE8 for PSVR2 are phenomenal. Any comparison that tries to paint them as blurry is hard to take seriously. You can put you face down to the floor or against a object and it still looks super detailed. I can't even believe the blur I'm seeing in those shots.

Wow

I'm fed up with this mentality that it costs so much for PC. You guys don't ever come participate in discussions on the hardware or even Digital Foundry's build to match console equivalent settings. All i see is poor fucking technical knowledge. I guess you should really stay on consoles and only plug it via HDMI, that's about the ceiling innit?

Jist of it in case you don't want to click : Half Life Alyx runs on a potato from circa 2016, the most common card seen in Steam hardware survey in the past years, although its share % is shrinking as better cards are out.

I won't bother to scour ebay for old pascal deals, but, based on Richard's build, i would put a 6700XT in rather than the A770 for way better performances.

It would be overkill for Half Life Alyx and most PCVR. But at the benefit of console equivalent settings as per Digital Foundry's video (much better than A770).

Could scour ebay for a $75 1060 6GB or a $150 2060 super and save. I'm pretty sure someone better than me could optimize this even further, i didn't bother to look for SSD deals or anything. Same for the older Zen processors, plenty of choice there. Could probably lower power supply power, etc. But my lazy build is not bad, even with the crazy GPU prices.

But..What are you really getting with the top visual games (Horizon, RE8) on PS5 is interpolation ghosting since they're running 60fps interpolated to 120 fps. Less than ideal settings too. RE8 modded, not even official dev support, at medium settings on a 2070 super wipes the floor in visuals with the PS5 version.

Resident Evil Village - Through the Lens face-off: Praydog mod (Quest 2) vs Official (PSVR2)

So a lazy PC build that surpasses Digital Foundry's console equivalent setting experiment will absolutely destroy almost all PCVR games on its path. Doesn't even need foveated rendering with 60→120 fps interpolation or the official Capcom support to surpass it on even Turing.

Go enjoy PSVR 2 for all i care, please do, more the merrier in VR. Stop spreading BULLSHIT about PC prices. Even with crazy GPU market, DF's build is solid alternative. Remove the online costs to play multiplayer and the higher prices on consoles that that different just melted away, without even looking for a deal on components.

Quoted for TRUTH.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't know why people are complaining about Quest ports. The VR industry is fragmented as fuck as it is - getting more games multiplatform can only benefit VR. And there will of course be plenty of first party exclusives as well.

This is how you know the console wars have now moved into the VR space. When people are stating a VR game being multiplatform is now bad. It's a crazy world we live in man.....

Wow

[/URL]

[/URL]

I play on pc as well. I have a 4090. The state of vr on pc right now sucks because the quest 2 water down all AAA vr gaming on pc. 1060 to run Alix will run like shit. To play it decently on high you will need at least a 3000 series card.
You can have the best hardware possible, but without software it doesn't matter.

Sleepwalker

I play on pc as well. I have a 4090. The state of vr on pc right now sucks because the quest 2 water down all AAA vr gaming on pc. 1060 to run Alix will run like shit. To play it decently on high you will need at least a 3000 series card.
You can have the best hardware possible, but without software it doesn't matter.
I agree with the overall sentiment of the post but I'm pretty sure you can play alyx on max settings on a 2080, other turing cards do well at high/med etc.

MarkMe2525

I hope they deliver on this front. As a VR user since 2019, I have come to terms with the fact that VR is great for a particular style of game, but awkward for most. Hopefully, a team can do for VR what Mario did for platformers, and set a template for how a VR game should feel. I have never experienced Alyx so I could be ignorant to the fact that it's already been done.

Im probably in the minority, but I have yet to find a VR experience that really sticks. The closest was probably virtual virtual reality. That dev team knew what to do with the platform and created an experience that is best experienced in VR. (I know I put "experience" twice in that sentence, but couldn't think of a better way to put it.)

This is a problem that can be solved with dev experience and throwing money at teams to keep iterating. The more games that get built, the better...obviously.

ok, well, others do.
I doubt that most people who buy a $400-500 console are okay with main 1st party studios developing a 100$ million budget or more (tlou 2 budget) who are then forced to pay an additional $500 just to play them.

If the VR was already out of the box, then I could understand, but that's not the case.

Last edited:

Crayon

This is a problem that can be solved with dev experience and throwing money at teams to keep iterating. The more games that get built, the better...obviously.

Yep. That leaves us hoping for sony, valve, meta, ...and kickstarter. It's a tough spot but not impossible.

Top Bottom