• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says PlayStation VR 2 will have ‘over 20 launch games’ (VGC)

WitchHunter

Sony has said it will have more than 20 games ready for the launch of PlayStation VR 2.

The launch games will cover both first-party and third-party titles, the corporation said during a business briefing on Thursday (see the slide below).

During Sony’s CES 2022 keynote in January, the company shared official technical specs for the PlayStation 5 VR headset and also confirmed the name for its VR controller: PlayStation VR2 Sense controller.

It also announced the first PSVR2 game: Horizon Call of the Mountain from Guerrilla and Firesprite.

The following month, the platform holder released the first images of the upcoming headset as well as the new PS VR2 controllers.

PSVR2 will feature 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view visuals with foveated rendering. Its OLED display will offer 2000×2040 resolution per eye and frame rates of 90/120hz.

While there is no official release date for PSVR2, an analyst has suggested that PlayStation VR2 will launch in 2023 as a result of what he implies is a “delay”.

According to Ross Young, CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants, the new headset will launch next year and will use AMOLED screens.
Yeah, ok, but will they also provide sanitary things like branded piss bottle and shitbucket, so we could live inside the vr realm?

CamHostage

Hmm, do they actually mean "launch", or "launch window"?

20 actually seems a bit low for launch window, since that's like most of the first year to a publisher. There should be way more than that lined up from interested PC game developers that couldn't come over for PSVR1, so hopefully it goes beyond that.

20 at day one or Christmas (assuming PSVR2 launches this year) would be pretty good. Even if they're counting existing games with PSVR2 patches, that should still be a good variety to play with there. Not sure how Horizon COTM would do as a launch title, but it's a hot brand with a broad audience so maybe it'll work out. Hopefully a new version of The Playroom / an Astrobot game this time too...

Last edited:

drezz

I'm more concerned with whether PSVR 1 games will be backwards compatible.
Same, hopefully most wil be, but I can see a bunch of them needing a patch to swap out the tracking.
PSVR 1 uses camera poitint at you, while PSVR2 has camera on the headsett it self tracking the controllers and maybe even the lightbar's on Duelsense controller.
If the later, then backwardscompatible would for sure be a small patch to alter it, but not as straight forward as one would hope.

How many of those are quest games though?
This headset is more powerful than any current set, including the Valve Index. It's not in the same leauge as Quest.

Will there be overlap? Obviously. Beat Saber and stuff will be there, just like games like Stardew Valley are on both Switch and PS5.

dtremblay

Same, hopefully most wil be, but I can see a bunch of them needing a patch to swap out the tracking.
PSVR 1 uses camera poitint at you, while PSVR2 has camera on the headsett it self tracking the controllers and maybe even the lightbar's on Duelsense controller.
If the later, then backwardscompatible would for sure be a small patch to alter it, but not as straight forward as one would hope.
is it possible for sony to write an emulation layer or is that a bad idea when latency is priority numero uno? Or is that technically impossible for some reason?

is it possible for sony to write an emulation layer or is that a bad idea when latency is priority numero uno? Or is that technically impossible for some reason?
But why would you need emulation? It's basically the same tech, software is probably written in the same version of the same language. If you don't want to simply patch it, you could write a translator/adaptor?

CamHostage

PS5 can run PS4 games. That's not the problem. The problem is that the controllers and sensors are different; PSVR is outside-in tracking, PSVR2 is inside-out.

https://www.wareable.com/vr/inside-out-vs-outside-in-vr-tracking-343

Supposedly you could come up with translation systems to adapt the previous way of tracking into this different way, but there are some fundamental differences in how the PlayStation gets its acceleration and positioning data between these two approaches which make it not just "PSVR2 is one-better!" and everything works...

Last edited:

Shmunter

PS5 can run PS4 games. That's not the problem. The problem is that the controllers and sensors are different; PSVR is outside-in tracking, PSVR2 is inside-out.

Supposedly you could come up with translation systems to adapt the previous way of tracking into this different way, but there are some fundamental differences in how the PlayStation gets its acceleration and positioning data between these two approaches.
All can be translated assuming underlying games rely on the system api to provide the co-ordinates. If the games themselves are somehow managing the raw tracking then it could be an issue.

Audiophile

Really would love to see Sony score Alyx for PSVR2 launch.

Horizon, Alyx, GT7VR, Backwards Compatibility (or at least a major push to patch-up the relatively small PSVR1 library) and some good demo experiences.

kyliethicc

1. Horizon VR
2. Astro Bot 2
3. Astro Bot Rescue Mission
4. Gran Turismo 7
5. Resident Evil Village
6. Walking Dead S&S 2
7. No Man’s Sky
8. Beat Saber
9. Half Life Alyx ?
10. Deathloop ?
11. Ghostwire Tokyo ?
12. Avatar ?
13. Call of Duty MW2 ?
14. Job Simulator 2 (or something from that dev) ?
15. new IP (1st party)
16. new IP (3rd party)
17. new IP (3rd party)
18. Hitman Trilogy
19. Resident Evil 7
20. Skyrim VR
21. Moss 2
22. Star Wars Squadrons
23. MLB The Show ?

idk just a guess, maybe GTA5 too

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It actually looks cheap but well made. I think this could come in at a good price point. I'm sure it's not final hardware but it looks close.

radewagon

Supposedly you could come up with translation systems to adapt the previous way of tracking into this different way, but there are some fundamental differences in how the PlayStation gets its acceleration and positioning data between these two approaches which make it not just "PSVR2 is one-better!" and everything works...
Or Sony could just make it so PSVR1 games required the use of the PS5's camera on the ol' TV. Seems like the easiest solution. Why reinvent the wheel for the BC games, just let them pull location data the same way they used to?

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed the PSVR2 headset doesn't have tracking lights.

Last edited:

Jesb

Considering possibly jumping in on VR eventually. I’m pretty ignorant with the technology and what’s needed. Do you need to be so many feet away from it for it to work properly?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Considering possibly jumping in on VR eventually. I’m pretty ignorant with the technology and what’s needed. Do you need to be so many feet away from it for it to work properly?
No. PSVR2 has cameras on the headset that tracks your controllers. PSVR used an external camera.

You still want a decent amount of space to move around and not hit stuff (lamps, ceiling fan, etc.). PSVR2 has a way to map out your play area so if you get outside your set area it will let you know.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, you can stand (or sit) wherever you want to. Just make sure you have enough room to move around and move your hands around without bumping into stuff.

Camera tracking is inside out, so you don't need to be in front of an external camera.

FYI -- unless you're one of the lucky ones, you will have motion sickness at least in the beginning for games in which your player moves (e.g., Iron Man or Gran Turismo) but won't in games where you don't move (e.g., Beat Saber). Stick through it, and your brain will rewire itself eventually, and motion sickness will go away after a while. It's so worth it after.

Edit: As pointed out by R6Rider R6Rider , by "stick it through" I DO NOT mean keep playing through the motion sickness. Stop immediately. But get back to it later or the next day when you're up to it. You'll slowly build your stamina, and one day it just won't happen. But always take a break when you feel motion sickness immediately.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
FYI -- unless you're one of the lucky ones, you will have motion sickness at least in the beginning for games in which your player moves (e.g., Iron Man or Gran Turismo) but won't in games where you don't move (e.g., Beat Saber). Stick through it, and your brain will rewire itself eventually, and motion sickness will go away after a while. It's so worth it after.
Good advice, but I'd also add that it's VERY important to not attempt to play through the motion sickness/nausea. As soon as you can feel anything you should take a break.

Crayon

I've smacked my wife with that move controller a few times. She sees my arms moving gently in front of me while I'm looting a shelf. Then she sites down and I don

DRAUGER!!!

*THWACK*

OH FUCK SORRY BABE

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've smacked my wife
canadian what GIF by CBC

with that move controller a few times.
Sweating Flowers In The Dirt GIF by Paul McCartney

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Can I play normal games in VR? like to simulate it being played on a giant screen?
My memory might be deceiving me, but I believe you can. You can also watch movies like you're in a theatre.

The experience (for watching movies) at least wasn't as good for me because of the low-resolution, but I believe PS VR 2's 4K resolution will change that.

Edit: Yes, you can. The experience, however, used to be blurry as I said. It is likely to change with PS VR 2.

Last edited:

mxbison

I really hope cinema mode is good but kinda doubt it.

It was a blurry mess on PSVR1 and Quest so I can't imagine it being that big of a leap on PSVR2. Probably have to wait another one or two generations.

Rickeh

I really hope cinema mode is good but kinda doubt it.

It was a blurry mess on PSVR1 and Quest so I can't imagine it being that big of a leap on PSVR2. Probably have to wait another one or two generations.
I think it will be much better even at 1920x1080. I read that its at that resolution because any higher (i.e 4k) and the screen would be too "full" and just be uncomfortable to sit and watch (it would be hard to have a 4k flat image considering the 3d nature). Hence why its just a portion of the viewable area at full HD.

I'm no AV expert so I could be talking nonsense.

Top Bottom