• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says PS5 stock shortages will stabilise, and sales return to PS4-era momentum by 2024

AlexxKidd

ps5-supply-priority.PNG

From Eurogamer,

The PlayStation 5's sales momentum - currently held back by stock shortages - will finally overtake the PS4's equivalent selling speed by 2024.

In a financial presentation last night, Sony exec Jim Ryan noted that, despite a strong launch, PS5 sales were lagging behind PS4 in its equivalent second year owing to supply constraints.

Over the next year, PS5 sales are expected to close the gap on the year-on-year PS4 equivalent and will overtake the following year.

How? Sony has a couple of mitigation measures in progress.

Firstly, it's sourcing multiple suppliers for greater agility in the current unstable market.

Secondly, there are ongoing logistical negotiations to maintain optimal PS5 delivery routes.

Looks like 115+ million is back on the menu (if it ever left).

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Would be great if they had a queue like EVGA with GPUs or Steam with the Deck. The way they do it now with the email invitation and bouncing timer on the queue is lame. Who has time for that?

*edit* Waited an hour in queue just to get to the store an every console is sold out. What a joke.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

skit_data

I wonder how? Not that I doubt it but I’d like to see exactly how they’re supposed to produce so many console under these circumstances? Improved manufacturing? Increased yields? Model revision?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So how many PS4s sold per quarter in its 3 fiscal year? It looks like the PS5 will be equaling that.

Varteras

Gold Member
I guess it's not selling faster than PS4 any more
It isn't currently and hasn't been for a little bit now. But that's what Sony is showing here. The PS5 will overtake PS4 in sales rate during 2024. They are fully expecting the PS5 to outsell PS4. If that graph is any kind of accurate for how they expect the rates to look, that upward trend would suggest PS5 could contend with the PS2 for Sony's best selling console. Which might not be terribly surprising. Another slide Sony showed had the PS5 selling an average of about 80,000 units in a little over 80 minutes when stock hits. Compared to the PS4 at the same time in its life where it took 9 days to sell 80,000. And those are just US figures, as far as I know.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
Really this is the reason why Sony puts its games on PC

Negative. They ported god of war over 2 years, so it started before ps5 even released

"Matt DeWald: We’ve sold almost 20 million, like 19.5 million copies on console, but it’s surprising to hear that there are still people out there that have never played it. And if they haven’t played it on console by now, they’re probably not going to play it on console. So this gives them an opportunity to play it on a platform they might play.

How much insight do you guys have into how Sony decided that the PC was a market they wanted to push this on to? Was that something you were championing early on?
Barlog: I think it was the collective of studios all over saying this is a really good idea. We should be looking into this. Eventually, I think it reached that tipping point. When we had sent so many suggestion box suggestions that they were like, “I’m tired of hearing all this. Fine, we’ll do this.” It’s a process. We’re still figuring it out as a company and as individual studios how to do this and what the process and strategy will be."

Gobjuduck

Banned
2024 is far away. PS4 was best by midgen (2017-2018), I dont think that momentum will jump ahead of the ps4. Xbox and PC are going to eat up a good portion of those consumers.

Maybe a Pro model is in the works, and it will make for that jump. But announcing a pro early could affect sales of the base model.

Crayon

This gen is weird. ps would have been smashing records if there were enough to buy. It's been awhile and people still can't get them. There's hardly any dedicated games. I find I'm happy with mine as a sort of luxury upgrade to my ps4. If you are shopping for a console, ps4 is still in play. It's like a living classic console, at least $100 cheaper and plays 98% of the games. It's louder and has longer loading times but hey you can actually get one.

ps5 is just a nicer...thing. Crazy looking thing. All those crossgen games really do run and look better. It's quiet. The front end is snappy. The shorter loading times are a treat. Overall it's like great as a luxury but not an essential system at all. Could still become one, though. There are a few ways for the generation end up quite long. If those mid gens coming are $600+ then that will be expected to carry the generation a long time. They could even dare to put out another upgrade console. Pro-Pro. We'd be in for 10+ years with series s as the baseline. lol.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Call me hater or pessimistic but I really doubt it would sell as many as PS4 in 8 years.

Possible, but PS4 in general is one of the most successful consoles in history, so repeating that or close to it is already a massive success. I think we should expect a spike in sales when they start to flood the market with them with their lucrative lineup of games. I also expect PS5 sales will continue to be solid even through PS6 as the transition/crossgen this time around would be much better than PS4/PS5 thanks to the SSD and ultra fast I/O system.

Ugh, at that point the console will have passed 60% of its life cycle...
I mean, by 2024 is the worst case scenario. It's during their fiscal year that starts in march 2023 and ends in march 2024. Sounds reasonable.
I wonder how? Not that I doubt it but I’d like to see exactly how they’re supposed to produce so many console under these circumstances? Improved manufacturing? Increased yields? Model revision?
Probably all of these. They also mentioned they have been making deals with multiple manufacturers so that if one fails, they will always have multiple back up plans, basically. An internal revision is also happening as well, like it always does each gen.

Call me hater or pessimistic but I really doubt it would sell as many as PS4 in 8 years.
I'd call you a realist. According to the graph, at no point was the PS5 significantly tracking ahead of the PS4. At this point it's now tracking significantly behind the PS4 though.

They can draw whatever squiggly line they want from there as a projection. Doesn't mean it's sales will follow it. With PC now seeing more and more of it's exclusives, and Xbox eating into it's marketshare. What data points to their projection actually happening? I can't think of any, but I could've missed something.

Wohc

Banned
Would be great if they had a queue like EVGA with GPUs or Steam with the Deck. The way they do it now with the email invitation and bouncing timer on the queue is lame. Who has time for that?

*edit* Waited an hour in queue just to get to the store an every console is sold out. What a joke.
I thought you were kidding..... Finally got an E-Mail invite yesterday and thought i will 100% get one if i'm fast enough. Waited 20 minutes for a countdown and then it said "It's you turn in more than one hour". Then it jumped to 6,7,8,6,1 and when i came in i couldn't add anything to the basket. 2 minutes later it said sold out. 15 minutes after it started.

What a total shit show. How bad can you make a shopping experience? Sony: Yes

ParaSeoul

I'd call you a realist. According to the graph, at no point was the PS5 significantly tracking ahead of the PS4. At this point it's now tracking significantly behind the PS4 though.

They can draw whatever squiggly line they want from there as a projection. Doesn't mean it's sales will follow it. With PC now seeing more and more of it's exclusives, and Xbox eating into it's marketshare. What data points to their projection actually happening? I can't think of any, but I could've missed something.
I'd say you're both pretty biased but hey
selena just saying GIF

Top Bottom