• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says PS5 stock shortages will stabilise, and sales return to PS4-era momentum by 2024

Wichard from DF thinks there's a real possibility that console generations won't really exist anymore. He might be right.
I tend to agree. I wouldn't be surprised if last gen ends up being seen as the last "hard" gen. Hell I'm even debating how much to spend on my next PC build or if I can hold off until streaming is good enough for slow, SP games (most of what I play).

I think the next big video game crash, (probably bigger than the crash of 83) will be cause by it being to hard to get consoles in stock, and game development taking to long and AAA games too few and far between.
There's a massive lapse in quality too. Budgets are higher than ever and the quality is abysmal. Hell on consoles it seems the only devs that can release a simply functional MP FPS is Call of Duty Inc. Mobile gamers are making money hand over fist, so it's going to be a different kind of crash. Maybe a gaming hardware crash.

Reallink

And what games will use that 10x power within the next 2 years?

Not sure what relevance 2 years has in the context of a proposed/potential 10 year generation, but to answer the question, pretty much everything. A 4090/Ti will be nowhere close to "maxing out" RT effects, high frame rates at 4K, next-gen (or even current gen) VR headsets, or UE5 titles that take extensive advantage of nanite and lumen.

Last edited:
And what games will use that 10x power within the next 2 years?
PlayStation games ported to PC. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In a few months PC GPUs are gonna be 10x more powerful than consoles in raw raster and like 15x+ in RT. Imagine where they'll be in 10.
In 10 years the PS6 will have been released already and most GPUs currently being sold will be on the garbage.

Not sure what relevance 2 years has in the context of a proposed/potential 10 year generation, but to answer the question, pretty much everything. A 4090/Ti will be nowhere close to "maxing out" RT effects, high frame rates at 4K, next-gen (or even current gen) VR headsets, or UE5 titles that take extensive advantage of nanite and lumen.
RT, native 4K, Unreal 5 promises, that's all so 3 years ago, so uninspiring.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

to me buying an expensive GPU is just waste of money ,because it will never be the "best" GPU, there is always better GPU out there, thus you are just wasting money chasing something "infinite" and will never satisfied with the performance.
The pricing of PC hardware especially GPU is getting ridiculous, people tend to look at framerates rather than playing actual games and then whine when fps drops below 120.

PlayStation games ported to PC. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In 10 years the PS6 will have been released already and most GPUs currently being sold will be on the garbage.

RT, native 4K, Unreal 5 promises, that's all so 3 years ago, so uninspiring.
i dont see the point of buying expensive GPU just to run ported Playstation games, its not like textures and model suddenly become lifelike (unless someone modded it, but still its no longer original).
Probably just sharper textures, longer distance rendering, with better RT, particles, lumen whatever etc...., does not justify the price of a gaming PC hardware imo.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Wichard from DF thinks there's a real possibility that console generations won't really exist anymore. He might be right.
unless cloud streaming works perfectly 100% all times, exact same quality and performance with same input latency as using hardware, i doubt that.
Far future i guess, but not in the next 30-40 years imo.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Haven't kept up with stock, it's crazy you can't just readily buy either PS5 or Xbox Series X on Amazon still.

ZoukGalaxy

No more instability ? I'm disappointed
Cat Balance GIF

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The point is why should most of us care about 100 TF GPUs when they will be $1,000 and not have games made to use their power in the best way (within 5 years).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Get ready for a long, long generation. The financial crash was the main reason that the PSwii60 gen lasted nigh-on eight years. I can't see us welcoming in next gen in 2026, considering the delays to games and the shortages of consoles.

Agreed. I do not see a PS6 launching before 2029...Covid, especially, has set things back by a couple of years. Expect the longest generation, which is good for manufacturers, publishers and gamers alike.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
"We're lagging in sales now but we'll totally make up for it next year"
"Sony says" = "Sony attempts to predict the future with a made-up chart"
Yeah, nah, I don't think PS5 is going to overtake PS4 in sales.
They got the games and some partnered IPs to do it: Spider-man 2, Wolverine, Uncharted, TLOU, Final Fantasy 16, Horizon Forbidden West, GoW, Star Wars KOTOR remake

I think this will be the better generation for sure, the sales will likely surpass the PS4

jroc74

They got the games and some partnered IPs to do it: Spider-man 2, Wolverine, Uncharted, TLOU, Final Fantasy 16, Horizon Forbidden West, GoW, Star Wars KOTOR remake

I think this will be the better generation for sure, the sales will likely surpass the PS4

I agree.

Ppl that follow sales said the only reason why it fell behind PS4 is due to stock. As in....at one point it was past PS4...

Thats literally the only thing holding the PS5 back.

Last edited:
NPD in two days, any predictions?
I expect PS5 to be dead last again. They focused a LOT on Europe and Japan (where it sold 50,000 during those 2 golden weeks period alone).

USA got a shipment near the end of May but it may not be enough to be #2 let alone #1. But hey...i don't mind if they surprise me!

Seems to be stock coming to the UK quite regularly. Its not sticking around long obviously, but it's arriving
Keep getting notifactions from various sites saying stock is available

Do we get prioritised over other places?

Seems to be stock coming to the UK quite regularly. Its not sticking around long obviously, but it's arriving
Keep getting notifactions from various sites saying stock is available

Do we get prioritised over other places?
As someone that lives in Portugal...yes, you guys are a priority.

Daymos

2024?? I've become this weird laptop gamer, portable + plug in to tv. Look what you made me do Sony! Now you're porting ps5 games to PC.. it's like I have a weird PS4.5 that does 1080p.

In a few months PC GPUs are gonna be 10x more powerful than consoles in raw raster and like 15x+ in RT. Imagine where they'll be in 10.
And that GPU wil cost you as munch as 3 PS5's ore 3 XboxSeries X, and then you have to buy a new CPU and faster memory, cous you new GPU wil need that...

Last edited:

jroc74

And that GPU wil cost you as munch as 3 PS5's ore 3 XboxSeries X, and then you have to buy a new CPU and faster memory, cous you new GPU wil need that...
I'm already debating if I should build a new PC when the new AMD mobo come out, lol.

I just built my current PC last year...

Last edited:
I'm already debating if I should build a new PC when the new AMD mobo come out, lol.

I just built my current PC last year...
Cous you build your current PC last year is not relevant cous most people did not, most people have an older PC, only the fanatics are putting 1000's of dollars to keep theyr PC's as powerfull as possible.
In the consoleworld you have "Ponys" and "Xbots" and "Nindies" and in the PC gaming world you have people who build big rigs putting in the newest hardware as soon as some new component hits the market. They are called the "PCMasterrace". 😉

Last edited:
Top Bottom