• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony seems to be creating needless confusion and annoyance with PS4 games on both PS Extra and PS Premium

Shmunter

Yeah it’s bullshit, even though I’ll never sub to any of these services apart from the online gatekeeper tier

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I thought that game was a Remake and not a Remaster....
Mafia Definitive Edition is also a remake made for PS4 - only available to premium tier.

Animated GIF

My OCD is hating the fact the older games don't have a PSOne, PS2 and PSP tags though. That's my grip for now, lmao.
Yeah Idc what the op is crying about. This is the REAL issue. Sony needs to be canceled for this. I cant sleep at night because of it.

Should be tagged
PSOne-C for emulated,
PSOne-R for remastered.

T-Cake

It's too confusing. I'm gonna cancel it all. Really annoying.

My sentiments exactly. I said before all this was announced that Sony were on probation. I'm incredibly annoyed that they are locking the remastered games behind the top Premium tier. Luckily, I was a PS Now subber so I get access to that. I have four months to play as much as I can. When my PS Now sub runs out in October, it's not getting renewed. I shall just flog the PS5 and treat myself to a sparkly new PC.

Last edited:

Fbh

Ok so I checked now and it seems like it was just some weird mix up.
Games like Dead Cells, Fallout 4 and Greedfall are now correctly displaying on the Extra tier.

There's still a few inconsistencies though, like Mafia Definitive Edition being tied to premium despite being a Ps4 remake, but then FF7 (Og not remake) is on extra.

Alebrije

Games like Dead Cells, Fallout 4 and Greedfall are now correctly displaying on the Extra tier.

There's still a few inconsistencies though, like Mafia Definitive Edition being tied to premium despite being a Ps4 remake, but then FF7 (Og not remake) is on extra.
Extange , I checked yestersay at night and Mafia 3 DE was on extra
But I have México's account , do not know if US Extra catalog is diferent.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The most confusing thing about this thread, is the defence of what is obviously a mistake from Sonys side.

If they put all the PS4 remasters and remakes in the extra tier, I'll consider subbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

yurinka

So here's the new three tier system:

PS Plus = 60 dollars a year.
PS Plus extra = 100 dollars a year.
PS Plus premium = 120 dollars a year.

I thought the whole idea of Premium was an extra tier for those who wanted to play classic PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles. That was supposed to be the deal. Premium gets you classic games and access to demos. And while MOST games that are only available in the premium tier are those classic titles, there's some really odd choices that go beyond that for no apparent reason.

Some examples:

Batman: Arkham Origins is a PS3 title that was never ported to PS4. It can be found in the premium tier. Batman: Arkham Knight is a PS4 title. It's in the extra tier. Those both make sense, and it's what I'd expect.

Saints Row 2 is a PS3 game, so it's understandable that it would be in the premium tier. Saints Row the third was also released for the PS3, but it had a PS4 remaster. It can be found in the extra tier. So we can assume that PS4 versions of older games will all be available in the extra tier, right? Not at all.

BioShock remaster for PS4? Premium only.
Borderlands Handsome collection for PS4? Premium only.
Kingdoms of Amalur remaster? Premium.
Heavy Rain remaster? Premium.
Gravity Rush? First game on PS4 is premium, second game is extra.

But even if you accept that most remasters of older titles will require premium even if they are actual PS4 games, the premium for classic titles "rule" still doesn't make sense.

Greedfall on PS4 and PS5. Premium.
Dead cells? Premium.
Fallout 4 that was never a PS3 title? Only premium, for no discernible reason. Same for Fallout 76.
Lego Batman 3? Extra. Lego Harry Potter? Premium.
The Surge? Premium. The Surge 2? Extra.
Shadow Warrior 2 on PS4? Premium. Shadow Warrior 3 that was just released? Extra.

So maybe it's only the most recent title in a series that is included? Nope.

Trials Fusion? Extra. Trials Rising (which is the latest game)? Premium.

There's no rhyme or reason to any of this! As a gamepass competitor that won't have big budget PlayStation exclusives on day one, it makes sense for Sony to sell people on paying 40 dollars extra, unless they really have to play have those PS3 and earlier games. It's kind of a budget service with budget content, although it's still a good value, and a smart way to compete. But considering that almost all PS4 titles are included in the extra tier, Sony being weirdly restrictive and confusing about a handful of games here seems to be a bad idea. I hope people speak up, and I hope they restructure the games being offered to reflect the original promise of each tier.

[edit]

My hope is that this is all caused by issues with existing PS Now agreements and obligations, and going forward all PS4 titles added to the service will be a part of the extra tier. If that doesn't happen, and new PS4 or PS5 games starting appearing in the premium only category, I hope people will loudly remind Sony that the premium tier was advertised ONLY to be including classic PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles. It's needless bad PR that doesn't need to exist for an otherwise solid offering.
It isn't that complicated:
PS Plus = same as always
PS Plus Extra = adds on top hundreds of games, mostly released originally for PS4 and PS5
PS Plus Premium = adds on top hundreds of games more, mostly titles that are remaked, remastered or emulated PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita/arcade classics in addition to cloud gaming and demos (this is the general rule but there are a few exceptions, Demon's Souls and SotC remakes are in Extra)

Every month they'll add and remove games, as happened before in PS Now or GP.

Regarding the competition, this new PS+ has around 2X the subscribers than GP and this new PS+ will grow its userbase and ARPU so shouldn't be worried about it at all. Sony started with the game subs in 2010, has been the leader of games subs since then and will continue being it at least for a while.

I don't care about day one releases, I'm not poor and can buy whatever games I want - but I won't support a service that can't even deliver major generational titles and I'm in the EU, so 50hz, I guess? No boosting of PS1 and PS2 games and no effort of trying to get PS3 games to run natively.
There many of the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita games included under their classics collecton of PS+ Premium are remade or remastered for PS4 or PS5. So they look and perform great, way better than simply emulated versions. And unlike the native PS3 games they can be downloaded and played on PS4 and PS5.

We still don't know what are they going to do with the emulated games for the EU release. They did release a patch trying to address the PAL 50Hz issue. It was a poor attempt but at least means they have someone working there in this kind of stuff, so maybe they release another patch that properly puts them at 60Hz before or after launch. Or who knows, maybe they keep the NTSC US versions for the games that have it as they did in their USA release. We'll have to wait and see, but possible solutions are there.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
There many of the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita games included under their classics collecton of PS+ Premium are remade or remastered for PS4 or PS5. So they look and perform great, way better than simply emulated versions.
50hz tho' here in EU. Vita games? I'm not interested in their classics catalog, cause my PC runs all of them better than PS5. I know PS5 have the capability to run them better than what some no-paid, no-access to original SDK's devs can do, but Sony have put little to no effort in boosting their classics catalog.

Every game with a PS4 label, should be in the extra tier - like advertised. No confusion.

jimmypython

I might have missed something - someone tell me if I am wrong

But the game categories are not matching: the "Action" section has Guardians of Galaxy as its thumbnail, but the game isn't included? The "Featured" section has FFX/X-2 but the game isn't in RPG section?

Last edited:
having 3 tiers is where they went wrong. there should be just basic and premium. whats the point of having a tier just for classic old ass games? premium isnt worth it at all. the only way is would have been worth it, was if it had tons of classic games. im talking all the popular ps1 and ps2 games.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Mafia Definitive Edition is also a remake made for PS4 - only available to premium tier.

Animated GIF

Browsing the catalog, I only see Mafia 3. The only reason I knew Mafia DE was included was because of a post in this thread or the other.

I was all set to edit the OP with the corrected information, but I checked PSN and none of that seems to be the case in the US. Did you look at the PS store itself, or were you just looking at the list on their website?

Anyhow, those three games are all still in the premium tier, although Fallout 4 is still part of the PS Plus collection, so it's still free for all PS5 owners in any tier subscription. PS4 owners still need premium. Premium for a game that was originally released on the PS4, and is not a remake. Here are several other examples that I found:

Far cry 3 on ps4? Extra.
Far cry blood dragon on PS4? Extra.
Friday the 13th is now in Extra.
Like you said FF7 original is in extra. So is FF 8 remaster, and FF 9 original.
Injustice 1 is premium, no matter if it's the PS3 or PS4 version. Injustice 2 is extra.
Terraria is premium! A game that released years ago, but is still getting major updates as recently as last year.
Golf with friends? Premium. WTF!? A game that released in 2020. How is that even remotely close to a "classic" game or a remaster?

So again, no rhyme or reason for any of this.

It isn't that complicated:
PS Plus = same as always
PS Plus Extra = adds on top 369 titles (some of them are collections) released originally for PS4 and PS5
PS Plus Premium = adds on top 450 titles (some of them are collections) remaked, remastered or emulated PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita/arcade classics in addition to cloud gaming and demos (this is the general rule but there are a few exceptions, Demon's Souls and SotC remakes are in Extra)

In your own "it isn't that complicated" explanation, you don't even acknowledge the fact that there are PS4 games in the premium tier, much less getting into the weeds of a detailed explanation that accurately addresses the situation.

"Most PS4 titles are part of the extra tier, except for remakes and remasters which are included in the premium tier, except for Far Cry and Final Fantasy for some reason, and probably some other examples, and the PS4 or PS5 version of Greed Fall, and Fallout 4, and a bunch of other random games for seemingly no reason whatsoever."

Yes, that is needlessly complicated.

[edit] I corrected my post. While you don't directly state PS4 games are in the premium tier, I would agree you imply it by saying "remaked, remastered or emulated PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita/arcade classics" But that doesn't change the fact that even this "rule" is ignored by several examples listed above.

Last edited:

Drew1440

I can understand the confusion, premium makes you think its an extension of the existing service with additional PS4 games, extra dlc included and more cloud storage space instead of a collection of PAL PlayStation games.

MikeM

I’m confused with pricing. It says my next payment is $34.99 but when I check my “current plan” it shows a $59.99 every three months. Which one is it?

Justin9mm

It seems clear as day to me.

3 Tiers. 3 price points.

Not sure what OP finds intentionally misleading?
OP implying that the choice is messy and unclear.

As OP stated, the Premium tier was marketed as PS1, 2 and 3 titles and demos but this is not the case. The whole tier system is terrible and just proves that MS have it right with Gamepass. It doesn't lock people out with bullshit rules that seem to change depending on how Sony feels.

yurinka

I was all set to edit the OP with the corrected information, but I checked PSN and none of that seems to be the case in the US. Did you look at the PS store itself, or were you just looking at the list on their website?

Anyhow, those three games are all still in the premium tier, although Fallout 4 is still part of the PS Plus collection, so it's still free for all PS5 owners in any tier subscription. PS4 owners still need premium. Premium for a game that was originally released on the PS4, and is not a remake. Here are several other examples that I found:

Far cry 3 on ps4? Extra.
Far cry blood dragon on PS4? Extra.
Friday the 13th is now in Extra.
Like you said FF7 original is in extra. So is FF 8 remaster, and FF 9 original.
Injustice 1 is premium, no matter if it's the PS3 or PS4 version. Injustice 2 is extra.
Terraria is premium! A game that released years ago, but is still getting major updates as recently as last year.
Golf with friends? Premium. WTF!? A game that released in 2020. How is that even remotely close to a "classic" game or a remaster?

So again, no rhyme or reason for any of this.

In your own "it isn't that complicated" explanation, you don't even acknowledge the fact that there are PS4 games in the premium tier, much less getting into the weeds of a detailed explanation that accurately addresses the situation.

"Most PS4 titles are part of the extra tier, except for remakes and remasters which are included in the premium tier, except for Far Cry and Final Fantasy for some reason, and probably some other examples, and the PS4 or PS5 version of Greed Fall, and Fallout 4, and a bunch of other random games for seemingly no reason whatsoever."

Yes, that is needlessly complicated.

[edit] I corrected my post. While you don't directly state PS4 games are in the premium tier, I would agree you imply it by saying "remaked, remastered or emulated PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita/arcade classics" But that doesn't change the fact that even this "rule" is ignored by several examples listed above.
Ubisoft games are an exception because all Ubisoft games are included inside Ubisoft+, which comes with PS+ Extra, not Premium.

Most PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita games remastered or remade for PS4 or PS5 are included in Premium with some exceptions like the ones I mentioned of Demon's Souls or Shadow of the Colossus, or the FF ones you mentioned, which are in Extra.

PS4 games that weren't released in PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita like Fallout 4 or Greed Fall are in Extra. All PS4 titles that are in Premium and not in Extra are PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita games remastered, remade or emulated. Here you have the list:

P.S.: I don't know, maybe they had some mistake in the store wrongfully mentioning its PS+ version on the game's page for the store, but this is what the official list says: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-plus/games/

As OP stated, the Premium tier was marketed as PS1, 2 and 3 titles and demos but this is not the case. The whole tier system is terrible and just proves that MS have it right with Gamepass. It doesn't lock people out with bullshit rules that seem to change depending on how Sony feels.
I don't know what are you talking about. What they included in Premium is exactly the case of what they marketed:
  • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
  • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
  • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.

*Local pricing may vary by market. PlayStation Plus catalog titles may also vary by market and tier, and may change over time. PlayStation Plus is an ongoing subscription subject to a recurring subscription fee taken automatically until cancellation. Age restrictions apply.
**Current markets where PlayStation Now is available: US, Canada, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden.
***PC streaming is not available in Japan at launch and will be supported in a future update.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OP implying that the choice is messy and unclear.

Even worse than the different games per tier is that they locked legacy games and PC streaming to the Premium tier.

If someone just wants to dabble with old games or streaming PC only, they have to buy the Premium tier instead of the old PS Now for half the price.

This is the stuff cable companies do when they realize some channels get popular or have a niche following and suddenly that channel isn't available on the cheaper plans anymore. If you want it you have to sub to a mid or high tier package. Forced upselling.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I though about going and getting what would be my 9th PS5, just for this service but after seeing the selection I realized most of the games I have nostalgia for aren't here.

After thinking about what a waste of money my PS3 was I decided against it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They could probably get away with shifting over the PS2 games
Ps1/psp titles are labelled as ps4/5 downloads, so what exactly is the difference here?
Anyway these categories are a bit like ship of Theseus problem.
Ac5, Locoroco etc. also run emulated but they replace some textures and skip boot logo. Monkey Island runs exact original content and code to switch to at anytime from remastered. SOTC runs og. core game logic code etc.
Technically most ppl will say somewhere in there line is drawn when it stops being the 'classic' game, but it's arbitrary.

Agent X

Technically most ppl will say somewhere in there line is drawn when it stops being the 'classic' game, but it's arbitrary.

The problem is that the line isn't distinct.

Sony has tried to define what a "classic" game is, which also encompasses remastered versions of some pre-PS4 games (including PS3 games like God of War III and The Last of Us). However, they also have some strange exceptions on both sides of the line, as some users above have pointed out. It's this lack of consistency that is causing confusion and concern.

Top Bottom