• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony seems to be creating needless confusion and annoyance with PS4 games on both PS Extra and PS Premium

kyliethicc

But it's really not, cause some PS4 games are tied to premium. I'm pretty sure they stated only PS1,2,3 and PSP would be tied to premium?

Nevertheless tiers sucks donkey-ass
They’re PS4 ports/apps, but they’re PS1 PS2 PS3 games.

Like The Last of Us Remastered. It’s a PS3 game, just got ported.

Lokaum D+

image_ReC1Zdd.png

get premium and stop woring about those things, its only $20 ( less then $2/month ) more then extra.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
image_ReC1Zdd.png

get premium and stop woring about those things, its only $20 more then extra.
The extra tier got 3 games I would like to play - premium is absolutely not worth it for me. Problem is when I can figure out a better solution than a multi-billion company, something is deeply wrong - cause I'm not that bright, but I know what works - fanservice.

Dead Cells being tied to Premium makes me think there's some buggy shit going on.

I'm generally pretty happy with this as a launch service, unless Sony is intentionally tying PS4 games to premium when it should be on Extra instead. Fuck that. Do they really think they have that much good will to piss away on another dumb decision?

mckmas8808

Banned
Sony isn't doing GamePass and they're not pretending otherwise. You're not getting PlayStation first-party games day one, for example.

To be honest.....Gamepass and PS+ are now direct competitors. At the moment one is clearly better than the other. But the gap has gotten smaller. GP isn't just about day one 1st party games.

To be honest.....Gamepass and PS+ are now direct competitors. At the moment one is clearly better than the other. But the gap has gotten smaller. GP isn't just about day one 1st party games.
I dont think so, honestly. Sony knows Microsoft is putting all their eggs into GamePass, but they're not going to. They still believe people choose PlayStation for the library of games, not PS+. PS+ is still just a feature of PlayStation, not the selling point or focus.

Xbox, on the other hand, is putting the focus on GamePass above everything.

mckmas8808

Banned
I dont think so, honestly. Sony knows Microsoft is putting all their eggs into GamePass, but they're not going to. They still believe people choose PlayStation for the library of games, not PS+. PS+ is still just a feature of PlayStation, not the selling point or focus.

Xbox, on the other hand, is putting the focus on GamePass above everything.

The bolded is 100% true. But it still doesn't mean both sub-services aren't competing. Like will we see 3rd party games launch on both services day one?

The bolded is 100% true. But it still doesn't mean both sub-services aren't competing. Like will we see 3rd party games launch on both services day one?
They're competitive, but I don't think Sony has any intention to match GamePass in the near future. They know GP offers more than PS+, but are okay with that, because their plan is to make their games get/keep you in the ecosystem. Then, they'll try to get you to invest in PS+ as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Greedfall on PS4 and PS5. Premium.
Dead cells? Premium.
Fallout 4 that was never a PS3 title? Only premium, for no discernible reason. Same for Fallout 76.
Lego Batman 3? Extra. Lego Harry Potter? Premium.
The Surge? Premium. The Surge 2? Extra.
Shadow Warrior 2 on PS4? Premium. Shadow Warrior 3 that was just released? Extra.
Looks like for many games have isolated availability on the Extra and Premium tiers.

You'd think a game a on PS4 or PS5 would be available for both Extra and Premium subbers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They didn't give everyone that impression. You just didn't read beyond what you wanted to. They even tell you to look at the website but nope you're stuck on a graph.
The game list wasnt released until today.

Anyone with converting sub plans before today (for regions launching today) could only go on the graphs.

How would anyone know that the PS4 and PS5 games on the Extra and Premium tiers would be different when communication by Sony the whole time never said these tiers would have differing PS4/PS5 games?

Katajx

Gold Member
This is what I have been saying as well.
The rollout has been…not as smooth as I anticipated.

Katajx

Gold Member
image_ReC1Zdd.png

get premium and stop woring about those things, its only $20 ( less then $2/month ) more then extra.
Okay, but to upgrade to Premium from essential there is only one option to me after paying for the yearly “Essential” tier.

Pay $120 for 348 days to upgrade. Not “just” the difference. No option to try another tier for a month from here as of current.

Lupin25

No one should say they arent competing.

But it’s clear what Sony values and subscriptions seem like a loss leader business model. A company wouldn’t want to go all in on a cheaper plan consumers can back out on at any given time.

PS+ was also already getting some day one 3rd party releases (Control Ultimate etc), but it should be more frequent now (Stray is July’s offering).

$70 purchased games (especially digital) is what they really want. There’s no cancellations/refunds (rarely) with bought items. I don’t see Sony putting all their chips in on PS+ tiers.

Edit: This also looks to be a bug of some sort misrepresenting tier-labels on PS3/PS4 ports. They’ll definitely need to fix this.

Last edited:

Neofire

So here's the new three tier system:

PS Plus = 60 dollars a year.
PS Plus extra = 100 dollars a year.
PS Plus premium = 120 dollars a year.

I thought the whole idea of Premium was an extra tier for those who wanted to play classic PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles. That was supposed to be the deal. Premium gets you classic games and access to demos. And while MOST games that are only available in the premium tier are those classic titles, there's some really odd choices that go beyond that for no apparent reason.

Some examples:

Batman: Arkham Origins is a PS3 title that was never ported to PS4. It can be found in the premium tier. Batman: Arkham Knight is a PS4 title. It's in the extra tier. Those both make sense, and it's what I'd expect.

Saints Row 2 is a PS3 game, so it's understandable that it would be in the premium tier. Saints Row the third was also released for the PS3, but it had a PS4 remaster. It can be found in the extra tier. So we can assume that PS4 versions of older games will all be available in the extra tier, right? Not at all.

BioShock remaster for PS4? Premium only.
Borderlands Handsome collection for PS4? Premium only.
Kingdoms of Amalur remaster? Premium.
Heavy Rain remaster? Premium.
Gravity Rush? First game on PS4 is premium, second game is extra.

But even if you accept that most remasters of older titles will require premium even if they are actual PS4 games, the premium for classic titles "rule" still doesn't make sense.

Greedfall on PS4 and PS5. Premium.
Dead cells? Premium.
Fallout 4 that was never a PS3 title? Only premium, for no discernible reason. Same for Fallout 76.
Lego Batman 3? Extra. Lego Harry Potter? Premium.
The Surge? Premium. The Surge 2? Extra.
Shadow Warrior 2 on PS4? Premium. Shadow Warrior 3 that was just released? Extra.

So maybe it's only the most recent title in a series that is included? Nope.

Trials Fusion? Extra. Trials Rising (which is the latest game)? Premium.

There's no rhyme or reason to any of this! As a gamepass competitor that won't have big budget PlayStation exclusives on day one, it makes sense for Sony to sell people on paying 40 dollars extra, unless they really have to play have those PS3 and earlier games. It's kind of a budget service with budget content, although it's still a good value, and a smart way to compete. But considering that almost all PS4 titles are included in the extra tier, Sony being weirdly restrictive and confusing about a handful of games here seems to be a bad idea. I hope people speak up, and I hope they restructure the games being offered to reflect the original promise of each tier.

[edit]

My hope is that this is all caused by issues with existing PS Now agreements and obligations, and going forward all PS4 titles added to the service will be a part of the extra tier. If that doesn't happen, and new PS4 or PS5 games starting appearing in the premium only category, I hope people will loudly remind Sony that the premium tier was advertised ONLY to be including classic PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles. It's needless bad PR that doesn't need to exist for an otherwise solid offering.
This is why I buy the games I want to play. Zero confusion 🤷🏿‍♂️

For those suggesting that all you need to do is check the website, the website makes no distinction between the two tiers either. There's literally no way to tell outside of using your console to browse the selection, and there was no way to even tell that much before today. It really does seem poorly handled at best, and falsely advertised at worst.

Gamerguy84

On another note, and I'm not hijacking I juat don't want to make a thread but hopefully someone does. I would but cant keep up with it because I work too much.

I am very much enjoying the new PLUS/NOW. The work they've done with making the PS1 games look good is really cool.

I have gig internet and download a PS1 game in a few seconds lol.

Happy with the new additions though especially PS5 games I was on the fence about like Returnal and Demons Souls.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Dude... what the fuck is this shit! Sony couldn't have made it more confusing.

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Edit: I think games like Fallout 4 and Friday 13th might be mistakenly listed as Premium exclusive. Otherwise it makes zero sense!

Last edited:
it goes beyond that. They list games twice for each version PS4/PS5. Also u can't pick what version of a game trial to download. Horizon Forbidden Dawn is a crossgen title. Can u pick to dl the ps4 version?? Not that i can see

Agent X

They didn't give everyone that impression. You just didn't read beyond what you wanted to. They even tell you to look at the website but nope you're stuck on a graph.

The point is that the user shouldn't have to look at a Web site to figure this stuff out. There should be a much clearer categorization.

On the old PS Now, all of the games were in a single pool. It didn't matter which console the game was originally released for, or which console version you were getting now.

Most people assumed that the original pool of PS Now games (not counting the newly added PS1 and PSP games) would carry over to PS Plus Extra and PS Plus Premium like this:
  • Extra: PS2, PS4, & PS5 games for download.
  • Premium: PS2, PS4, & PS5 for either download or streaming, also PS3 games for streaming.
While this is still mostly the case, the problem is that the new PS Plus program has now altered the categorization of some older games, so that they can fit into the "Classics" group on Premium with the newly added PS1 and PSP games. These include:
  • PS2 games that were released on PS4 (e.g. Dark Cloud, FantaVision, Kinetica,, Primal)
  • Games that originated on PS3, which were later ported natively (or you can call them "remastered") to PS4 (e.g. God of War III, The Last of Us)
  • Games that originated on other Sony platforms, which were later ported (or "remastered") on PS4 (e.g. Gravity Rush, Shadow of the Colossus, Wipeout Omega Collection)

These are all PS4 versions of the games, but their console of origin is causing Sony to shift them to another category. This seems like a cheap way to boost the "Classics" category.

Personally, I'd rather they just keep everything the way it was. They could probably get away with shifting over the PS2 games, if only because they're virtually unchanged from the original, and users might mentally group them with the PS1 and PSP games anyway. However, I feel that all the other "remastered" games should have remained as PS4 games, since they aren't truly the "classic" versions from the older systems.

K' Dash

The only thing needlessly annoying and confusing is that OP. I hopped in on the Premium tier and guess what?

pmhiberc6s131.jpg

Everything the light touches is rented and can be taken from you at any given moment.

This would be true if you were talking about buying (physical copies) everything you play.

But yeah, I get the point you're trying to make.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Everything the light touches is rented and can be taken from you at any given moment.

This would be true if you were talking about buying (physical copies) everything you play.

But yeah, I get the point you're trying to make.
Well, just like gamepass and thats fine.

Just rented, Returnal, RDR2, GotG, Máfia DE, Hollow Knight and others, just saved a lot of $$

Last edited:

sainraja

The service just launched. They'll sort it out — if it doesn't look worth it right now, just watch from the sidelines and jump in when you feel like it is worth it. I will give it a try for 64 days and go back to Essential or stick with it.

Top Bottom