• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should bring back MotorStorm, beginning with a remake of Arctic Edge for the PlayStation 5

Although I consider MotorStorm: Pacific Rift to be my favorite entry in the series, not many people talk about MotorStorm: Arctic Edge for the PlayStation Portable and PlayStation 2 despite some of its improvements and its unique setting. In fact, when I played it on the PS2, I thought it had the potential to be revisited on the PS3 and PS4 but unfortunately this was not to be as both Evolution Studios and Bigbig Studios were eventually shut down. However, Sony do own the MotorStorm IP and I feel that arcade racing games - specifically from first-party developers - are missing from the PlayStation 5 lineup!

Sequels with snowy environments are pretty much par for the course with some PlayStation IPs (from Crash Bandicoot 2 to Uncharted 2 to Horizon: Forbidden West) but what also made MotorStorm: Arctic Edge great was the ability to customize the appearance of your vehicles as well as introducing new vehicles and being able to trigger avalanches. Despite the game releasing on older hardware, to me it still felt like I was playing through a proper entry in the series that emphasized taking the best route based on the weight and speed or your vehicle. I think it should be remade or perhaps just remastered with HD graphics on the PS5. And perhaps if it were to sell well enough it would convince Sony to remake the original MotorStorm and MotorStorm Pacific Rift as a dual pack release or develop a brand new MotorStorm with all of kinds of varied environments (desert, island, urban, snowy etc).

What were your thoughts on this 2009 handheld racer when it released? Should Sony thaw it out for a remaster/remake on the upcoming PS5?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Though it does beg the question, what studios are around that could make a new big budget arcade title? Seems like most are defunct or got absorbed into Playground games. Remasters are probably all we can hope for at this point.

Bolivar687

Banned
Great series, great game. It's crazy how the PSP's take on PS3 franchises later in the life cycle ended up being a lot better than the takes on PS2 games earlier in the cycle.

Agent X

What were your thoughts on this 2009 handheld racer when it released? Should Sony thaw it out for a remaster/remake on the upcoming PS5?

MotorStorm: Arctic Edge is an outstanding game. I've got the PSP version, and I still play it often. It's one of the best racers on the system. I also feel that it's one of the best games in the MotorStorm series, second only to Pacific Rift.

This game often gets overlooked because it's the only game in the series that wasn't released on PS3, instead going to the older PS2 and PSP systems. Obviously, it doesn't pack quite as much graphical flair as the PS3 games, but considering the hardware that they were working with, BigBig really squeezed a lot out of the systems. The game's got great environments and track design, and a rockin' soundtrack. The PSP version still held up well even after the PS Vita was released a few years later.

I'd love to see Sony remake this game for either PS4 or PS5. They really should remake all of the MotorStorm games, and continue the series with new entries too. However, if they could only choose one of the existing games to remake, then I'd pick this one, as would benefit the most from a visual upgrade.

LostDonkey

Even if they did it wouldn't be the same, The remaster scenario maybe, but bringing back the series, Evolution is gone and all that worked on Motorstorm and now scattered about at different studios working on different games.

Another great studio gone to the dogs.

MotorStorm: Arctic Edge is an outstanding game. I've got the PSP version, and I still play it often. It's one of the best racers on the system. I also feel that it's one of the best games in the MotorStorm series, second only to Pacific Rift.

This game often gets overlooked because it's the only game in the series that wasn't released on PS3, instead going to the older PS2 and PSP systems. Obviously, it doesn't pack quite as much graphical flair as the PS3 games, but considering the hardware that they were working with, BigBig really squeezed a lot out of the systems. The game's got great environments and track design, and a rockin' soundtrack. The PSP version still held up well even after the PS Vita was released a few years later.

I'd love to see Sony remake this game for either PS4 or PS5. They really should remake all of the MotorStorm games, and continue the series with new entries too. However, if they could only choose one of the existing games to remake, then I'd pick this one, as would benefit the most from a visual upgrade.
This is how I feel about it as well. Arctic Edge would be like a brand new entry for people who are only familiar with the PS3 games, and on top of updating the graphics they could introduce some new tracks. Hell, I actually owned a PS Vita but was disappointed we only got that stupid RC racer but at least wipEout fans had some fun with 2048.

Even if they did it wouldn't be the same, The remaster scenario maybe, but bringing back the series, Evolution is gone and all that worked on Motorstorm and now scattered about at different studios working on different games.

Another great studio gone to the dogs.
I am hoping one of the other first-party studios within Sony could revive the series or create a new arcade racer.

Gloomnivore

It would be nice but the Evolution team got to make a spiritual successor in Onrush and it was one of the biggest flops of this generation, sadly.

New Motorstorm for PS5 would be awesome. Motorstorm was such a good launch game here in Europe. Played the fuck out of it and it definitely showed the next-gen leap. Should be able to do even more with a PS5.
Motorstorm and Destruction Derby would be great racing titles to show off a next-gen leap, along with Gran Turismo and Wipeout for the more cleaner titles.

UnNamed

Banned
Artic Edge is a good PSP racing game but am average Motorstorm, they cut so many things it's not Motorstorm anymore.

LostDonkey

I am hoping one of the other first-party studios within Sony could revive the series or create a new arcade racer.

Yeah me too, PlayStation has always had good racers, From Wipe out to Colin McRae, Motorstorm, Driveclub, GT, The old formula one games, Toca etc

I used to do all my racing on there but I've found more joy on other platforms in recent years, mainly with Forza MS and Horizon and Project Gotham, and migrated to PC for sims.

They really need to Knock it out of the park with GT7 because that's all they really have now, they really need a good Arcade style racing game. I can't believe they killed Driveclub off, I know it was rough around the edges and the launch was catastrophic but a sequel with the power of PS5 would have been glorious.

Dolomite

Was hoping for an old MotorStorm feel when I checked out the Dirt 5 progress. Would be a much welcomed remake, while we're in the remake era

YCoCg

In all seriousness RPCS3 has shown this game still looks great running at 4k60:

All Sony needs to do here is to push the game as a package, adjust the LOD distance and set it pretty damn far and increase the shadow cascades and it'd be an easy "Ultimate Edition" of these games.

_SAKY_

I just dont get this mentality in gaming, you have already played it. Having great game updated visually with QOL improvements is the safe play for a dev typically, but ultimately I find it boring and stagnating. Bring on a new game.

Edit: punctuation

Last edited:

HF2014

STOP WITH THIS MADNESS OF REMAKES EVERYWHERE!!!!

But seriously, bring back Motorstorm, loving the idea. Just picked up back Pacifict Rift and trying to find Apocalypse for cheap lately. Really wouldnt say no to new arcade racers with fun tracks and gameplay, i think these are really missing on PS4. Tons of open world game,but i feel nothing is close to the quality of xb360/ps3 era.

Kuranghi

I've got a surprise for you, I'm actually Dusk Golem and I'm here to tell you its been in development for the last 3 years and its coming out as a launch title for PS5!! /super-s

I know man, I have some decent hopes for Dirt 5 being fun in the same way because they recently said they have incorporated elements of On Rush into it, which seems to be the closest thing to Motorstorm these days. I still haven't gotten round to playing On Rush yet. Hotshot Racing just came out as well 😬

Do they still have the engine? As in the handling/physics model?

Would insta buy any new Motorstorm.

Riding that boost to the redline with all the other chaos around you, vehicles flying overhead and crashing into and onto you...... man it was a phenomenal experience.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I just dont get this mentality in gaming, you have already played it. Having great game updated visually with QOL improvements is the safe play for a dev typically, but ultimately I find it boring and stagnating. Bring on a new game.

Edit: punctuation

I agree with this. I know Sony sucks ass on BC but the old games actually play and look really well to this day. Giving resources are not infinite I would rather just have a new game. And I think a new Motorstorm right now would go over very well.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Hopefully, Dirt 5 fills the void, somewhat ( I believe some of the old Evolution studio devs are Codemasters now).

Last edited:

RPS37

If Sony brought back Motorstorm, I would really want a PS5.
The old games do not hold up, image-wise.

Top Bottom