• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should release online multiplayer from PS plus and make it free

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
While it would be nice, at least its included in all tiers....

John Wick

With Sony introducing new tiers to their PS plus subscription service, they should release online multiplayer from the paywall and make it free. It shouldn't be an exclusive feature or perk when subbing to PS plus, it should be available for everyone free of charge.

Now that Sony introduces new tiers, they have multiple compelling options for people paying for PS plus, in the form of cloud saving, streaming, game downloads, exclusive discounts and deals, demos and free games every month. People will pay for this and be happy. A majority of their fan base will still be subbed. But me, who only want to play some co-op multiplayer in Elden Ring/Souls or make a couple of runs in Returnal, it fucking sucks I need to shell out a lot of money every year for a service I barely use.

TLDR; It's fucking bullshit to keep online multiplayer behind a paywall.
Have you also asked MS and Nintendo to do the same?
Because until they all agree to it, it ain't happening.
Also a business isn't going to refuse money.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

That's one of the biggest things I despise Microsoft for introducing. Stupid Xbox Live charges then Sony and Nintendo following suit on console. While these surcharges are no longer my problem, still sucks that my console brethren gotta pay for these shit servers/services. As far as Sony dropping multiplayer to free? Ain't happening. They like free money.

REDRZA MWS

9wYCxf4.jpg

Remastered please. I’d sell my series X today for confirmation!

ReBurn

Gold Member
Is Live reliable now 20 years later? They just had an outage that lasted almoust an entire day.

It's not like as if Sony wasn't going to get hacked in 2011 if they were charging for online back then.

Good luck for MS if they drop the paywall, it will probably have a big negative impact for Gamepass due to it being one of the main reasons people go for the Ultimate tier.

People were saying MS wanted to make Gold free last year and MS tried to raise the price instead.
I get that your intention is just to dump on Xbox Live but Xbox Live was much more reliable than PSN in the PS360 days, especially the first 4 years. It was also more consistent than PC online play because every PC game did online its own way and outside of a few big shooters it was hit and miss as to how good the experience would be. It's just how it was.

Sony obviously saw the value in a consistent and stable online infrastructure and the $60 per year must have made a difference because online gaming was much better on PlayStation during the PS4 years.

Also, Xbox Live Gold still exists. People don't have to buy Gamepass ultimate to be able to play their games online.

People have this perception that the money somehow makes it way into improving the service - it barely does. You merely pay for the service and "privilege" for them to be your preferred mediator. No matter how much some people shriek and shout about it, they're not going to change something that will take away from their cashflow stream.

As one dude already succinctly said in the thread - "we facilitated it", and then we validated it, and ultimately we adopted it as a new standard. Thank yourselves. Enjoy it. Its not going away.

John Wick

People have this perception that the money somehow makes it way into improving the service - it barely does. You merely pay for the service and "privilege" for them to be your preferred mediator. No matter how much some people shriek and shout about it, they're not going to change something that will take away from their cashflow stream.

As one dude already succinctly said in the thread - "we facilitated it", and then we validated it, and ultimately we adopted it as a new standard. Thank yourselves. Enjoy it. Its not going away.
Of course investment improves infrastructure. Sony seen how much they could make from PSN and invested accordingly. PSN during PS4 was leagues better and with more users. PS5 will be even better as more money is invested. MS laid the foundations of Xbox Live with the original Xbox and continued it with the 360.

Smasher89

They should, but wont until they realize they lose sales to other platforms (pc).
I for sure get multiplayer games there first even if i used to be mainly console player before, and concidering how dead the games get after a month for a new game behind a paywall for online, it sure seems alot more people reason like that. Even saw a good while ago there was some interview where this was a "issue" for either a publisher or platform holder. That said, got guilty gear strive on pc and last time i checked it was still living months after release on pc, something i couldnt say about its earlier game on ps4.

RPSleon

They wont though. Theyd get sued by investors for making a terrible business descision. The amount of people who only play online games with yearly releases who will pay the fee because they cant miss out is like having access to free money for sony and ms.

Imagine the amount they make from online subs being slashed like that. People who play nothing but cod and fifa and dont care about other games suddenly not paying. Stocks would plummet.

reinking

Gold Member
Sony had this at one time. They saw the success of Xbox Live and how much money they were leaving on the table. Why the hell would they reverse it now when they know we are all suckers willing to pay it? (Frankly I wish they would all piss off with charging for online play but it isn't happening)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not happening. The only hope now is that Game Pass and Plus Extra competition keeps prices low and quality high. If we’re going to have to pay £50 for online the other services could at least continue to be compelling.

skit_data

I think the ”being the good guy” to ”making money”-ratio is too bad for them to make multiplayer free again. X360 went through the whole gen making money that way whereas PS3 didn’t. Customers would go ”cool” and the pro consumer hype would be forgotten a week after and then PS+ Subs would drop, at least if the Essential tier would be kept as is. During the PS3 gen you got pretty good games, now it’s closing in on GWG im the race of becoming the shittiest sub service.

Last edited:

Jormatar

They absolutely will do this with their GaaS games. I know it, you know it, everybody knows it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom