• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony State of Play (25th Feb - 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm UK)

State of Play rate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle

Banned

I love seeing all the diverse story-telling without every game having to include a gun. I am really looking forward to dodge ball (feels like jet set radio meets overwatch so I am down), Soulstorm I have been literally waiting for since forever. If you haven't watched the Ars-warstory interview with the director that is worth your time. FF7 I am just waiting for all the parts to be out before I play it sooooo thats fine.

OrionNebula

Eh, I enjoyed it a bit

Was expecting Kena, I got Kena.
Was expecting Grindhouse Deathloop. I got JamesBond Deathloop
Was expecting FFXVI. I got Yuffie
Was expecting indies. I got a shitload of indies

Horizon Forbidden West not showing up can only mean 1 or 2 things to me. We’re getting a full State of Play on it in the next 4-5 months. Or see ya 2022, from covid with love (alongside with GoW2)

I’m ready to move on with my day

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cool. Another Five Nights At Freddie’s game. What a Ps5 showcase.

Excited Tail GIF by BBC Earth
Fun Fact: Male hippos do this to attract a mate.

longdi

Banned
i was never convinced with SCEA new head eric lampell, guess my feelings is right again after watching their sop.

'new' sony continues to be a bit headless with how to engage their fanbase.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm seeing it and as with Nintendo Direct, I don't know what's "outstandingly bad!!!!" about it that people complains... It's just ok, idk what else did people expected.

Edit: Damn! Keena yells me "Breath of the Wild" to me... and actually this trailer felt a lot like 2017 BOTW trailer, the pasing, music, etc... It's perfect by me btw, I loved BOTW and its good to see other devs taking inspiration from it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
i was never convinced with SCEA new head eric lampell, guess my feelings is right again after watching their sop.

'new' sony continues to be a bit headless with how to engage their fanbase.
So everyone is bored with Final Fantasy, Crash Bandicoot and to a lesser extent Oddworld are they? Franchises that were synonymous with PS1, and no doubt were these Nintendo franchises of a similar age people would be creaming in their jeans even though they are "just" platformers and RPG's.

Add on top completely new IP's in Returnal and Deathloop (how many times over the last gen did the competition put out two new IP's in a quarter ?), and a sprinkling of really visually strong indies like Sifu and Solar Ash... doesn't seem like a bad showing for late feb, 4 months out from a platform launch during a global pandemic!

People need to adjust their expectations because, I'm sorry, but the reality is that games these days take 2-4 years to make. Noone's going to pull a load of hitherto unseen product out their ass for every minor show because its a logistical impossibility to create that much content.

Especially as what these showcases present isn't close to comprehensive, these aren't the only titles launching over the next 6 months, not even close.

longdi

Banned
So everyone is bored with Final Fantasy, Crash Bandicoot and to a lesser extent Oddworld are they? Franchises that were synonymous with PS1, and no doubt were these Nintendo franchises of a similar age people would be creaming in their jeans even though they are "just" platformers and RPG's.

Add on top completely new IP's in Returnal and Deathloop (how many times over the last gen did the competition put out two new IP's in a quarter ?), and a sprinkling of really visually strong indies like Sifu and Solar Ash... doesn't seem like a bad showing for late feb, 4 months out from a platform launch during a global pandemic!

People need to adjust their expectations because, I'm sorry, but the reality is that games these days take 2-4 years to make. Noone's going to pull a load of hitherto unseen product out their ass for every minor show because its a logistical impossibility to create that much content.

Especially as what these showcases present isn't close to comprehensive, these aren't the only titles launching over the next 6 months, not even close.

ff is a 'remake' of a remake, lol
imo if you have nothing to show, dont bother. i mean sop is catering to core gamers, and surely eric knows the state of games hardly excite the fan base

Shmunter

I’ve never played a Final Fantasy. But that PS5 free patch is giving be more motive than ever. Those gfx, and those non existent load times.....hnnngggh!

Jubenhimer

It was okay. Deathloop looks better the more its shown, and new FFVIR content is nice. But I feel like the Nintendo Direct from last week had more to it than this. There wasn't a lot of content shown here, and most of what was shown was already announced, hell, half the games shown were already released. It wasn't bad, but I feel Sony needs to start talking about their PS Studios lineup for the rest of 2021 soon, because all we know so far is Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, and Horizon.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Didn't expect much, didn't get much, but even then I still hoped that when they said they will have some new game announcements... they games would be a bit bigger.

Most of the games looked good, but we'd seen most of them already; this lacked a new exciting announcement, I didn't need to be watching live because there was nothing huge to talk about in real time.

6/10 show for the lack of a new big thing.

Lmao that was really anti-climatic.

Felt like we were *really* about to get at least one more surprising announcement and/or a deeper look into an upcoming first party game and then the video just ended.

Eh, at least we got to see Kena. I'm sold on that day one (or whenever I get a PS5).

morelan

I wasn't expecting much but that was terrible. I already played FFVII Remake, and even though I liked it, I have no intention of playing it again nor playing the "expansion". And I didn't care for any of the other games so...

It was okay. Deathloop looks better the more its shown, and new FFVIR content is nice. But I feel like the Nintendo Direct from last week had more to it than this. There wasn't a lot of content shown here, and most of what was shown was already announced, hell, half the games shown were already released. It wasn't bad, but I feel Sony needs to start talking about their PS Studios lineup for the rest of 2021 soon, because all we know so far is Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, and Horizon.

what was announced at the Nintendo direct?

Splatoon 3, Skyward Sword and Miitopia remasters, Triangle Strategy (new game from Octopath Traveler team), Mario Golf Super Rush, Knockout City was first revealed there.

Nothing mind-blowing, but I feel there were more substantial reveals there than here.

hmm yeah, more new announcements. I do prefer what Sony showed even if they were games we’ve seen before

Fredrik

Shit Direct, disappointing State of Play, now we need MS to shit the bed for the hat trick
Yeah. I’m not too cranky about not finding a PS5 anymore. And as I just ranted about on the Xbox OT, why did they even release these consoles last year? What was the point? On Xbox it’s like a bad joke right now. It’s a hilariously bad start of a generation. I’ve played more RetroArch on my XSX than anything MS have delivered.

Robb

Gold Member
Disappointing Nintendo Direct, disappointing State of Play.. I guess I might as well prepare for a disappointing Pokemon showcase as well.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah. I’m not too cranky about not finding a PS5 anymore. And as I just ranted about on the Xbox OT, why did they even release these consoles last year? What was the point? On Xbox it’s like a bad joke right now. It’s a hilariously bad start of a generation. I’ve played more RetroArch on my XSX than anything MS have delivered.
Go back to PS3/360 launch and see what games next gen players had to choose from, from Nov to March.

Its not any better. Just the internet makes it seem worse now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We probably shouldn't have expected a bunch of bangers at this SoP when the PS5 sells out in milliseconds.

Gas pedal goes down when momentum eases up.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Go back to PS3/360 launch and see what games next gen players had to choose from, from Nov to March.

Its not any better. Just the internet makes it seem worse now.
it was basically the same with the start of the PS4/XB1 gen as well

Switch had an amazing first year but that's not really the norm (and there's still a chance for PS5's first year as long as stuff like Horizon 2 makes it)

it was basically the same with the start of the PS4/XB1 gen as well

Switch had an amazing first year but that's not really the norm (and there's still a chance for PS5's first year as long as stuff like Horizon 2 makes it)

Demons Souls
Miles Morales
AstroBot
Returnal
Deathloop
Resident Evil 8
Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade
Ratchet and Clank
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Horizon Forbidden West
Solar Ash

+ third party unknowns

That’s a really strong year 1, only really rivaled by the PS2.

and the following year you have GT7, FF16, God of War, Harry Potter, and more.

We’re kinda spoiled honestly

Orpheum

I didn't really expect much since they pretty much said from the get go that we'd see games from the June presentation returning...

Returnal continues to look better and better
Kena was really amazing as well
Keeping an eye on Deathloop

However i really hope for a larger event in the near future

Kagey K

Banned
Demons Souls
Miles Morales
AstroBot
Returnal
Deathloop
Resident Evil 8
Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade
Ratchet and Clank
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Horizon Forbidden West
Solar Ash

+ third party unknowns

That’s a really strong year 1, only really rivaled by the PS2.

and the following year you have GT7, FF16, God of War, Harry Potter, and more.

We’re kinda spoiled honestly
I love how you actually list 3 games that have released and assume the rest will be bangers.

That doesn’t look like a great list to me, but everyone’s taste is different.

You also omit mentioning those that are on PS4 or PC so they don’t require a PS5 to play them.

Last edited:

SNPlayen

No Goodbye Volcano High, I give it an F.

Some games look good like Returnal, Kena and Deathloop but I didn’t really need to see them. Only good news was free Oddworld in April

I love how you actually list 3 games that have released and assume the rest will be bangers.

That doesn’t look like a great list to me, but everyone’s taste is different.

You also omit mentioning those that are on PS4 or PC so they don’t require a PS5 to play them.

Who gives a shit if they are on other platforms?

what kind of dumb logic is that, oh this game is really good but it’s also on PS4 so it doesn’t count

we’re only a few months into next gen, of course there’s only a handful of games released so far Lol

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The big Microsoft published title is the one everyone keeps talking about, you love to see it. (Deathloop)

It shows all the Zenimax ain’t shit nonbelievers that MS really does have a finger on it now.

Kagey K

Banned
Who gives a shit if they are on other platforms?

what kind of dumb logic is that, oh this game is really good but it’s also on PS4 so it doesn’t count

we’re only a few months into next gen, of course there’s only a handful of games released so far Lol
Why buy a PS5?

Or call them PS5 titles, if you don’t need a PS5 to play them?

Assuming they are all bangers you still can play over 85% of them without even considering a new console.

But somehow this is a banging launch for you?

pasterpl

For those of you interested, the following of the state of play ps games are confirmed for the PC:

Deathloop (Steam)
Sifu (EGS)
Solar Ash (EGS)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (EGS)
Kena (EGS)

these are the only games I have some interest in after yesterday showcase, i was thinking I will have to play these on my PS4 pro, at least with my gaming pc I will get to play the best version of these

mxbison

Kena and Sifu look cool, but both coming to PC.

Still no reasons for me to buy a PS5, which is fine I guess since I can't buy one anyway.

Why buy a PS5?

Or call them PS5 titles, if you don’t need a PS5 to play them?

Assuming they are all bangers you still can play over 85% of them without even considering a new console.

But somehow this is a banging launch for you?

because I have a PS5 already?
Should I play these on PS4 instead?

cross gen isn’t a new concept and it doesn’t invalidate good games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom