• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sucks at porting games to PC

JackSparr0w

Banned
God of War is 10th MOST REVIEWED game on Steam this year. A 4 years old game.

I swear people here are detached from reality.
10th in 2022 :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm not sure how is that some sort of achievement?

God of war is the best game of the entire last generation according to Sony fans.

Last edited:

YCoCg

A bit hyperbole, the only disappointing port has been Uncharted 4. Sack Boy just has shader stutter, which affects a lot of games on PC right now and the rest provide more options than the console version such as ultra wide and high frame rate support.

edit: Do you remember the time when we had locked 16x9 games, either 720p or 1080p and 30fps caps?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Age of empires 2 was 5 times as old and did twice as good.

You want me to keep going? PC gamers never cared about the age of a good game.

Again, it was a remake + multiplayer.

I’m only mentioning the age of the game to highlight how much time people had to play it on PlayStation. Despite God of War being exclusive to PlayStation since day one of the franchise, and 4 years passing since the release on PS4, it still managed to be one of the most popular games on PC that year.

What’s so hard to grasp? Seriously.

They also haven't ported Bloodborne yet. Instead they do games no one cares about.
I think they have been porting over some high profile games to PC like Spider-Man, God of War, Uncharted Collection, Days Gone and Horizon. Honestly though, I don’t think Sony even cares about Bloodborne, so who knows if we will ever see a port of that game on any platform.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well, I've only tried two. Spider-Man Remastered has been excellent, no complaints whatsoever. Runs 4K @ 120 fps ultra settings with no issues at all and does't even cause my fans to flare up all that much. Sackboy has some minor issues on the Deck (drastic fps drops) but runs flawlessly on my absurdly expensive desktop PC.

nkarafo

Pc gaming will always get bad ports due to the platform's very diverse nature. Devs aren't going to make the effort to optimise or make things run well. Its one of the biggest drawbacks with pc gaming.

Well, the RE2 and RE3 remakes run remarkably well on my aging 2014 PC with a 1060 GPU. I'm pretty much squeezing just as good performance and graphics as a PS4 pro. And the latest patches cleaned up most of microstutter issues i had.

Unreal 4 though... Worst engine since Unity.

Lasha

Well, the RE2 and RE3 remakes run remarkably well on my aging 2014 PC with a 1060 GPU. I'm pretty much squeezing just as good performance and graphics as a PS4 pro. And the latest patches cleaned up most of microstutter issues i had.

Unreal 4 though... Worst engine since Unity.

I'm only just feeling the age on my 1070TI. It eats most of these console ports up at 1440p.

damidu

hyperbole much? “abismal” thread performance.

they have probably the best ports around all things considered.

Days Gone is one of my favourite PlayStation games. I have it on PS5 and PC. It’s an inferior experience on PS5.

Gran Turismo 4 is my second favourite racing game. A PlayStation game. I can’t even play it on PS5. It runs and looks beautiful at x3 the resolution on my Steam Deck.

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. A PlayStation game. You need to stream it on PS5. I played it on PC yesterday at 4k 60FPS.

I can go on and on. It seems like my PC is a better PlayStation than my PS5.
Days gone doesn’t have a native ps5 version

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
To be fair every developer sucks at PC ports when the master race can't have everything on Ultra 120fps+
No matter what the game, what graphics is being displayed.
the developer needs to die a painful death if it so much as dips in frame rate while running at Ultra settings.

sainraja

Again, it was a remake + multiplayer.

I’m only mentioning the age of the game to highlight how much time people had to play it on PlayStation. Despite God of War being exclusive to PlayStation since day one of the franchise, and 4 years passing since the release on PS4, it still managed to be one of the most popular games on PC that year.

What’s so hard to grasp? Seriously.
Well, I wouldn't say what he says seriously given he is quick to label people as "Sony fans" simply to dismiss a game tied to PlayStation. You are doing a good job not taking his bait but I think he is just trying to waste your time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be fair to Sackboy, i'm convinced they only ported that game (and ported it on the cheap) just to show PC only gamers that Sony make more than just third person action games.

I feel most of Sony's ports have been solid, not amazing but very solid. In fact my only real problem with Sony's ports so far (especially the PS4 ports) is that you need considerably more powerful hardware than the console to reach similar results. I mean its like that with most developers but usually you will need only slightly more powerful hardware to reach console like results, but with Sony's ports you often need around double the power to reach console results.
It really shouldnt be that way. Its almost like Sony isnt giving their port teams enough time to really optimize the ports.
I think they are rushing tons of games out simply to open up their schedule in 2023 and 2024 for all the GAAS games coming out (which will likely be day one PC games). Sony still have other popular franchises to port over as well if they feel like it like GT7 and Ghosts. And there's also LOU confirmed coming soon, as well as smaller sellers like R&C, Returnal and DS.

2023 will likely have some of these existing games port over and then when the GAAS games come out (are any even coming in 2023?) it'll give them an empty slate to have those as day one games. SP focused games like all the ones they've released (and the others above aside from GT7) can be ported over anytime. No different than old ass legacy games selling on Steam and GOG for ages. But for maximum impact for their game sales, they need open release windows for when the GAAS games come.

kapshin

I only have on PC Days Gone and Horizon ZD, both ports seem alright. I like Days gone ironically which seems to get some shit, didn't care for Horizon.

The PC port quality is about what I've expected from Sony. I.e.quick port jobs with some added sprinkles like DLSS/FSR, some ray tracing etc, but not at all optimised for PC strengths. Doesn't take much money or time, and can sell at a high price for a brand new audience. It sucks...but it's the modern day industry in a nutshell. They are just profit seeking mega corporations after all. As usual, we have to vote with out wallets if the ports aren't upto scratch.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Say the 3070 can do a specific offloaded task but a 2060 can’t then the 3070 will never have that feature taken advantage of until it’s min spec
What are you talking about man?

What task would you offload to a 3070 that the 2060 couldnt handle slower?

Isnt that literally what happens right now.
You send render tasks to the GPU, the 3070 does those tasks faster than a 2060 so your frametime goes down your frame rate goes up.
Days gone doesn’t have a native ps5 version
You are proving his point.

Graciaus

I think they have been porting over some high profile games to PC like Spider-Man, God of War, Uncharted Collection, Days Gone and Horizon. Honestly though, I don’t think Sony even cares about Bloodborne, so who knows if we will ever see a port of that game on any platform.
The last couple games were Sackboy which absolutely no one was asking for and Uncharted 4. Porting the 4th title in a character/story driven saga is pointless. Might as well just do Little Big Planet next for another L.

Considering how popular the Souls series is they would have to be morons to not care about it.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I know. Sony needs to put more effort into providing better experience on PlayStation 5 for their first party games, right?

They should provide much more support for their PC games first. They have already established their customer base on console after all

Mowcno

Nah. They put more effort than I'd expect into their pc ports. Ultra-wide, improved graphics, DLSS/FSR. They do a good job even if they have some performance teething troubles sometimes.

If they really sucked at porting their games the steam user reviews would reflect that. Bad console ports always get hammered on steam reviews.

The last couple games were Sackboy which absolutely no one was asking for and Uncharted 4. Porting the 4th title in a character/story driven saga is pointless. Might as well just do Little Big Planet next for another L.

Considering how popular the Souls series is they would have to be morons to not care about it.
I feel 2 rather undesirable games out of 6(?) games isn’t really bad though especially in this relatively short time frame. Most of those games are still considered large franchises as far as the PlayStation brand goes. Apparently the Souls series is not popular enough to Sony because many people have been begging for a sequel to Bloodborne or even a remake for years and Sony seemingly keeps ignoring it. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong soon, but I have my doubts.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I just saw this thread on "Similar threads" list... I'm bumping so some can see the problems with TLOU are not solely PC gaming problem, Sony and their ports have been also very hit or miss... The good thing is they fix them quickly enough at least

Comandr

Sony is going to want to capitalize on the momentum of the show to get people into this game, on PC or otherwise. No way they’ll let the current pc build fester for long.

Why do so many forget PS4/5 don't run on windows and the install base on PC of non-windows OS means it's not commercially viable, therefore you have "tech debt" and "lack of optimisation talent" for the windows PC targets. Sony and associated studios are very well versed with optimising for PS hardware/software. Absolutely stellar there. They're shit and not built for purpose when porting to PC. It's not just Sony keeping a walled garden for day one releases either, they're literally stuck with a highly optimised console/dev pipeline for PS and therefore their ports are always going to suffer or be behind.

There's a reason Sony first party get a lot out of their console hardware but it's a double edged sword in terms of shit or late PC ports. There's a reason Xbox moved to a more unified architecture for hardware and software generations ago, it's also what is enabling Game Pass/PC Game Pass to have such parity with day one releases and optimisations by comparison to Sony.

I'd love to see Sony do similar to Xbox in this regard, I'd happily buy Spidey 1 & 2 (and others) on PC to game as someone with zero interest in owning a PS5. I don't see that happening for two reasons, one Sony don't want to move away from their console walled garden and two their tech debt for such parity is too great and would delay the core releases/quality. At the very least they would have to refactor their pipelines, tools, possible hardware/software etc. It's a case of too hard, not fit for purpose and corporate mentality change required.

Buggy Loop

Sony and associated studios are very well versed with optimising for PS hardware/software. Absolutely stellar there. They're shit and not built for purpose when porting to PC.

Satellite studios for PC ports are behind most of the complaints in this thread though. Naughty Dog is probably one of the few that even put that much effort in Last of Us but even there, there’s a port house.

Not really, plenty of studios are making good versions of PC games. For example, MS ports are much better.
Gears 5 runs extremely well on PC. Forza Horizon 5 is also very good. Gears tactics. Age of Empires. Both Ori games.

And even other publishers, are not making a much worse version on PC, than on consoles.
Most of the times, if it's a bad game on PC, it's also a bad game on consoles.
I the case of Sony, it's grood games on console, with bad versions on PC.
Don't Xbox and PC games shares the same API (DirectX)?

Satellite studios for PC ports are behind most of the complaints in this thread though. Naughty Dog is probably one of the few that even put that much effort in Last of Us but even there, there’s a port house.

Just another sign/symptom of the Sony double edged tech issues being "great for PS console but shit for PC releases", irrespective of inhouse devs or outsourcing partners. The core benefits vs tech and optimisation issues remain the same.

EDIT: Given the maybe 3-5% swing difference we see in DF tech reviews who cares at this current gen? I'd rather parity releases and less tech debt for day one releases and crossplay. I suppose that's part of why I go with Xbox over Sony this gen.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Why do so many forget PS4/5 don't run on windows and the install base on PC of non-windows OS means it's not commercially viable, therefore you have "tech debt" and "lack of optimisation talent" for the windows PC targets. Sony and associated studios are very well versed with optimising for PS hardware/software. Absolutely stellar there. They're shit and not built for purpose when porting to PC. It's not just Sony keeping a walled garden for day one releases either, they're literally stuck with a highly optimised console/dev pipeline for PS and therefore their ports are always going to suffer or be behind.

There's a reason Sony first party get a lot out of their console hardware but it's a double edged sword in terms of shit or late PC ports. There's a reason Xbox moved to a more unified architecture for hardware and software generations ago, it's also what is enabling Game Pass/PC Game Pass to have such parity with day one releases and optimisations by comparison to Sony.

I'd love to see Sony do similar to Xbox in this regard, I'd happily buy Spidey 1 & 2 (and others) on PC to game as someone with zero interest in owning a PS5. I don't see that happening for two reasons, one Sony don't want to move away from their console walled garden and two their tech debt for such parity is too great and would delay the core releases/quality. At the very least they would have to refactor their pipelines, tools, possible hardware/software etc. It's a case of too hard, not fit for purpose and corporate mentality change required.
I think Spider-Man is on pc.

theclaw135

Banned
It has been a while. Sony tried PC ports of early PS1 games (Twisted Metal, Jet Moto, etc), but they sold a fraction of the console release.

buenoblue

Unfortunately you just can't buy a game day one anymore. Just wait to see if there is any problems. On top of that you need all the platforms so you can choose where to play

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yes. But the DirectX version on consoles has extensions that are even lower level, than the DX12 on PC.
And most importantly the port job isnt being done by The Coalition, so expect bad news when a game is announced as DX12 only.

Calverz

They just prioritize PS5. Nothing wrong with that. If you want the best version, buy the console the games were designed for. But, now at least there is an option for others.
I think the games released on pc so far definitely prioritised ps5 because when a lot of these were in heavy development, it probably wasn’t considered for pc. I imagine all the stuff that’s in heavy development now will be made for ps5 and pc simulataneously so I expect the Sony pc games to improve over time. But I think naughty dog will be disappointed with this port as I’m sure they will want pc players to get hyped for factions 2.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'd love a day when every PS game came to PC day one, but man they have a long way to go before I think about giving up my PS console.

Matthew Broderick GIF

Hot5pur

Guys give Sony time, in the meantime give every single shit port they put out a free pass. It's ok that they release these and charge people money hoping they'll just overlook the issues for now.

What kind of anti-consumer attitude is that? Sounds very fanboyish. Why are people so tribal about console companies, owning a specific console does not make anyone special. These are profit driven entities and they'll sell you a turd sandwich if they could. They should absolutely be raked over the coals for this nonsense and clearly pushing out something half baked hoping what? People wouldn't notice?

Edit: having said that, I am considering a PS5 now for exclusives as counting on good PC ports seems increasingly risky.

Last edited:
Guys give Sony time, in the meantime give every single shit port they put out a free pass. It's ok that they release these and charge people money hoping they'll just overlook the issues for now.

What kind of anti-consumer attitude is that? Sounds very fanboyish. Why are people so tribal about console companies, owning a specific console does not make anyone special. These are profit driven entities and they'll sell you a turd sandwich if they could. They should absolutely be raked over the coals for this nonsense and clearly pushing out something half baked hoping what? People wouldn't notice?

Edit: having said that, I am considering a PS5 now for exclusives as counting on good PC ports seems increasingly risky.

I'd previously been encouraged by Sony's PC efforts. It wasn't flawless, at all, but generally, it was somewhere between excellent and good. This TLOF port is a serious mis-step. It's sad because you'd *want* Naughty Dog (ND) to enter PC games on a high, but they now have a mountain to climb*. It feels similar to how Horizon released. Guerrilla Games did the engineering work and, last I checked, it's classed as an OK, perhaps good port. I'm hoping ND can do the same, and salvage their Steam score some. I hope there's some serious lessons learnt from both Sony and ND about this. It's just not worth releasing like this. Yeah, you can fix the code, but the damage to good will is harder to patch in.

* It can happen: No Man's Sky, Arkham Knight, and Horizon Zero Dawn are all now past their initial release traumas, but the engineering work had to be done to fix it all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony is just starting out. Give them time.

I remember MS in late 2010s and there commitment claims to PC platform and then dropping absolute shitstorms.

Give Sony some time.
its been 3 years!!!

Horizon came out in 2020. They have released TEN PS exclusives on PC since.

How much time do you want to give them? 30 years? 300 games? wtf.

And Sony just got done suggesting that MS might release buggy versions COD on other platforms if the acquisition goes through 🤣

"MS might start doing all the shady shit we have been doing. It's not faaairrr!! 😭"

Top Bottom