• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to discontinue the PS5 Accolade feature this fall

https://www.polygon.com/23287092/sony-ps5-playstation-5-accolades-discontinued

Sony Interactive Entertainment is shutting off a PlayStation 5 feature that virtually no one ever used — Accolades. The Accolades feature, which was designed to encourage better behavior in online multiplayer games, will be discontinued sometime this fall; no exact date was given.

“In fall of 2022, the Accolades feature on PlayStation 5 will no longer be supported,” Sony said in the “important notices” section of its support website. “The feature hasn’t seen the level of usage we anticipated, so we are refocusing our efforts. We encourage the community to continue to send positive messages to one another.”

Hadn’t heard of the feature? You aren’t alone. Essentially, it’s an anonymous reward system that players can give out to players that were “helpful,” “welcoming,” “leader,” or a “good sport” in multiplayer games. Points are tallied and displayed on a player’s profile, and that’s all there is to it. Basically, just a way to encourage players to be nice to each other, like Microsoft’s Reputation system, but without a way to mark problematic players.
51469696766_7e4c027f89_h.jpg

I've heard of it long ago, but never actually found it to use even if I wanted to, and the complaints then are the same now.

Before people spin this as gamers not wanting to be kind to each other (lol) that's not why it wasn't used, it was poorly implemented and managed.

It's hard to find it, not every game uses it, and Sony barely promoted it. It's not as simple as finishing a match and there it is, assuming a game supported it which as far as I am aware, Sony never provided an updated list, you had to fiddle to actually find it in some games.

I don't know why Sony didn't just make it an accessible universal feature, and I'm speaking about their first-party games.

Used it often when playing deep rock galactic with randoms, as its an inbuilt option on the score screen at the end

Last edited:
Top Bottom