• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony trims PlayStation's 2022 sales forecast by 1%. Won't comment on PS5 price hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.axios.com/2022/07/29/sony-playstation-sales-forecast

Sony lowered its expectations for its 2022 PlayStation business this morning, trimming its annual sales forecast from $27.4 billion to $27.1 billion.

Why it matters: It's another downward indicator from a top gaming company this week. However, it's small enough that panic about the industry is probably premature.

Details: Sony's lowered projection came alongside negative sales data for its 2022 Q1, ending June 30.

• For the quarter, the PlayStation division netting ¥604 billion ($4.6 billion), down from ¥616 billion ($4.5 billion) in the same quarter for the year before.
  • For the quarterly drop, Sony blamed decreases in its own game sales and those of third-party partners.
  • But for the annual lowered forecast, it only cited expectations of lower sales from third-parties.
Between the lines: Sony's report comes days after Microsoft reported a 6% drop in its Xbox game sales for the quarter and Capcom reported a year-on-year quarterly decline of 50%.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/p...ystem-reaches-21-7-million-sold/1100-6505997/
Also as part of the earnings briefing, Sony management declined to comment on the possibility of raising the price of the PlayStation 5 due to the ongoing chip shortages and other factors. This wouldn't be uncharted for the company, as it recently raised prices--in Japan, at least--for some of its devices like headphones, speakers, and cameras. According to VGC's translation of comments made CFO Hiroki Totoki, Sony isn't prepared to comment on the possibility of a PS5 price hike.

"About a potential price increase for the PS5, at this point in time there is nothing specific I can share with you about prices," the executive said.

Looking ahead, Sony said it is sticking with its previously announced forecast of 18 million PS5 shipments during the current fiscal year. However, due to current conditions, Sony has updated its sales guidance for the PlayStation business to be down by 16%.

These two stories go together so i put them in one thread.
Do you think Sony may consider raising the price of games or the PS5 console?

Personally, I don't know who got this to spread around the gaming "press" but Sony raising the price for either would be suicide in most countries they sell in so I thin the question is ridiculous.

I also think the buzz around the 1% forecast cut is pointless unless we have the same thing happen again a couple more times showing a trend. right now this is a one time thing.

.........Then again, maybe they might consider raising the price of the PS5 and possibly games too, after all they are charging $70 full price for a lolmake that isn't that significantly better looking than the remaster, with the MP cut out which the other two versions had. So people are paying more for less content that the same game had twice before. So maybe they might be that crazy.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i highly doubt they increase the current prices. however, these companies are WELL aware of what people were happily paying scalpers. I wouldn't be surprised if ps5 pro is $600+.

nvidia rtx400 series pricing will be interesting.

i highly doubt they increase the current prices. however, these companies are WELL aware of what people were happily paying scalpers. I wouldn't be surprised if ps5 pro is $600+.

nvidia rtx400 series pricing will be interesting.
Will buy Ps5 pro at a high price… And hopefully an 8k oled.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
https://www.axios.com/2022/07/29/sony-playstation-sales-forecast

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/p...ystem-reaches-21-7-million-sold/1100-6505997/

These two stories go together so i put them in one thread.
Do you think Sony may consider raising the price of games or the PS5 console?

Personally, I don't know who got this to spread around the gaming "press" but Sony raising the price for either would be suicide in most countries they sell in so I thin the question is ridiculous.

I also think the buzz around the 1% forecast cut is pointless unless we have the same thing happen again a couple more times showing a trend. right now this is a one time thing.

.........Then again, maybe they might consider raising the price of the PS5 and possibly games too, after all they are charging $70 full price for a lolmake that isn't that significantly better looking than the remaster, with the MP cut out which the other two versions had. So people are paying more for less content that the same game had twice before. So maybe they might be that crazy.

Imagine being such a desperate clickbaiting piece of shit that a "no comment" becomes a headline. 🤔

Chukhopops

Oh Jesus just imagine the amount of FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS jokes. It will probably never happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom