• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils new gaming phone: Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition and Xperia Stream add-on($1,225, 4K HDR display, 16GB RAM, 5,000mAh)

https://www.sony.com.hk/en/smartphones/products/xperia-1-iv-gaming-edition
PDX223GE_00_04_Promo_tile_D_12span

PDX223GE_04_05_Medium_static_D

ae31a71bd4d4a7878dcd801aba62fd77.jpg

PDX223GE_02_2_Medium_static_D

xperia-stream_07-780x303.jpg

PDX223GE_03_01_Large_static_D.png

PDX223GE_02_08_Medium_static_D

SPECS​

Price175,000 yen ($1,225 USD)
Dimensions165 x 71 x 8.2 mm
Weight185 g
Display Size6.5" 21:9 Wide display2
Display Resolution4K HDR OLED (3840 x 1644)
Features120Hz Refresh rate3, 240Hz Motion blur reduction3, 240Hz Touch scanning rate3, Creator mode "powered by CineAlta" - Inspired by Master Monitor colour reproduction, DCI-P3 100%, ITU-R BT.2020 (REC.2020)4, Illuminant D65 White point, 10 bit tonal gradation5, X1™ for mobile
Image playback formatJPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, WebP, WBMP, HEIF, DNG, CR2, NEF, NRW, ARW, RW2, ORF, RAF, PEF, SRW, AVIF
Video playback formatH.263, H.264, H.265, MPEG-4 Video, AV1, VP8, VP9
Water ResistantWater resistant (IPX5/IPX8)6, Dust proof (IP6X)6
DurabilityCorning® Gorilla® Glass Victus®
CameraTriple lens camera
Resolution12MP
Size1/1.7" Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor
ApertureF1.7
Focal length24 mm
Field of view82°
Resolution12MP
Size1/3.5" Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor
ApertureF2.3 (85 mm) - F2.8 (125 mm)
Focal length85 mm - 125 mm
Field of view28° (85 mm) - 20° (125 mm)
Resolution12MP
Size1/2.5" Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor
ApertureF2.2
Focal length16 mm
Field of view124°
FeaturesPhotography Pro, ZEISS® quality lenses calibrated specifically for Xperia 1 IV, ZEISS® T* Coating, 120fps read out speed, Up to 20fps AF/AE burst7, Up to 60 times per second continuous AF/AE calculation8, Real-time Eye AF (Human, Animal)9, Real-time Tracking10, 3D iToF, RGB-IR, OIS photo11, Photo flash, Photo light, Hybrid zoom 15.6x (based on Wide camera 24mm), AI Super Resolution Zoom, HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo
Image capture formatJPEG (.jpg), RAW (.dng)
FeaturesCinematography Pro "powered by CineAlta", Videography Pro, 4K HDR Video recording 24, 25, 30, 60 and 120fps12, OIS and EIS Video13, Optical SteadyShot™ with FlawlessEye™14, SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stabilization)15, Intelligent wind filter
Video recording format.mp4 (H.264, H.265)
Resolution12MP
Size1/2.9" Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor
ApertureF2.0
Field of view83°
FeaturesHDR (High Dynamic Range) photo, SteadyShot™ with Intelligent Active Mode (5-axis stabilization), Portrait selfie, Display flash, Hand gesture
Hi-ResHi-Resolution Audio, High-Resolution Audio Wireless (LDAC)16
Other features3.5mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio Certified1718, 360 Reality Audio Upmix19, Full-stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos®20, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm® aptX™ Adaptive21
Playback FormatAAC-LC, AAC+, eAAC+, AAC-ELD, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, FLAC, MP3, MIDI, Vorbis, PCM, Opus, DSD, Dolby Atmos, Dolby AC-4, 360 Reality Audio Music Format
Recording FormatAAC-LC , AAC+, AAC-ELD, AMR-NB, AMR-WB
FeaturesPS Remote Play2223, DUALSHOCK®4 / DualSense™ compatibility24, Game enhancer
FeaturesDynamic Vibration System
RAM16GB
Internal memory512GB UFS25
External memorymicroSDXC support (up to 1 TB)26
Number of SIMDual SIM
SIM typenanoSIM
VersionAndroid™ 1227
CPUSnapdragon® 8 Gen 1 Mobile Platform21
Capacity5000 mAh
Charging typeUSB Power Delivery (USB PD) fast charging28
Other featuresXperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode, Qi Wireless charging29, Battery Share function30
2G Band850, 900, 1800, 190023
3G Band2100 (Band 1), 1900 (Band 2), 1700 (Band 4), 850 (Band 5), 800 (Band 6), 900 (Band 8), 800 (Band 19)23
4G Band1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 6623
5G Bandn1, n3, n5, n7, n8, n28, n38, n40, n41, n77, n78, n7923
Wi-FiIEEE802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax, 2.4/5GHz31
LocationA-GPS, A-GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS32
BluetoothBluetooth® 5.2 wireless technology, BluetoothⓇ LE Audio33
USB typeType-C®
USB versionSuperSpeed USB 5Gbps (USB 3.2)
Other featuresSmart connectivity, Google Cast, NFC, Output video/image via Display Port support TypeC Cable or USB-C to HDMI Adapter Cable (Display port 4K/60fps)34
Sensor TypeFingerprint sensor
AccessibilityHearing Aid Compatibility (HAC)35, Teletypewriter (TTY)36 /SERVICES: Live Transcribe23, Sound notifications23 /SCREEN READERS: Select to Speak23, TalkBack23, Text-to-speech output23 /DISPLAY: Font size, Display size, Dark theme, Magnification, Colour correction, Colour inversion, Large mouse pointer, Remove animations /INTERACTION CONTROLS: Accessibility Menu23, Switch Access23, Click after mouse pointer stops moving, Power button ends call, Auto-rotate screen, Touch & hold delay, Time to take action (Accessibility timeout), Vibration & haptic strength, System navigation /AUDIO & ON-SCREEN TEXT: Mono audio, Audio balance, Caption preferences /EXPERIMENTAL: High contrast text, Shortcut from lock screen

XPERIA STREAM​

https://liliputing.com/sony-xperia-...-clip-on-accessory-for-cooling-and-streaming/
That’s because this accessory, which clips to the back of the phone and plugs into its USB-C port, adds five things:
  • Cooling fan
  • HDMI output
  • Ethernet jack
  • 3.5mm audio port
  • USB-C port
The USB-C port allows you to charge the phone or add other accessories. It effectively means you don’t lose a port when using the Stream accessory. HDMI output lets you mirror your video to an external display or capture device. It supports 1080p output at up to 120 Hz. Ethernet input could provide a steady, low-latency, reliable internet connection if you’re dealing with wonky wireless.

FEATURES​

Immersive gaming sound​

Full-stage stereo speakers at the front of the phone effectively reproduce high-quality audio that lets you live and breathe every game. The updated speaker driver and its enclosure structure deliver more powerful sound with reduced distortion.

Long-lasting 5,000mAh battery and fast charging​

A large capacity 5,000mAh battery gives you plenty of power for those marathon gaming sessions and beyond. And when you need to give your battery a boost, you can fast charge up to 50% in just 30 minutes with the XQZ-UC1 charger.1

Outstanding camera for content creation​

Whether you're shooting videos or taking photos, the Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition lets you get creative with a choice of three lenses: ultra-wide 16mm, wide-angle 24mm, and telephoto with true optical zoom 85-125mm. All three offer 4K HDR 120fps video recording2, Eye AF and Object tracking.3 4

Stream all your sounds​

Whether you're using a wired headset to commentate on the action or chat to teammates, you can output game sound and mic audio simultaneously via HDMI to an external device like a capture card.

Multi-tasking made easy​

Game enhancer doesn't just let you create your perfect gaming experience, it also lets you perform a range of other tasks while you're playing – whether it's chatting to friends or searching YouTube.
<>

So Sony finally announced their new gaming phone at the streaming event, the Xperia 1 4 gaming edition. it features a 4K HDR display with 120hz, enhanced camera system, and a large 5,000 mah batter.

The Xperia Stream add-on which comes with the phone (or you can by separately for $160 for another device) allows you to output the your phone activity to a monitor or TV at a max of 1080p at 120fps, so the Xperia Stream could be seen as a dock to challenge the Nintendo Switch, you have a more powerful device that in portable mode is 4K HDR 120fps, while the docked mode is 1080p HDR up to 120fps.

In addition, you have Sony's enhanced speakers, water proof resistance, fast wireless charging, multi-tasking, and streaming support.

The phone is already powerful enough on it's own but with the Xperia Stream you get more and can use it as a dock for your 1 4 gaming edition phone.

Super Speed USB makes data transfer simple, battery share to help keep your devices charged on the go, and 512GB of internal storage with SD support gives you a lot to deal with. This is not just your everyday phone, Sony is serious. Things are getting dangerous.

Right now pre-orders are only open in Asia but will be for the rest of the world soon. Converted, it will cost $1225, but you are getting 4K HDR 120fps display out of that, Super-core, super USB, USB C, water resistance, and a dock that outputs HDMi at 108-p 120fps. So while that price may seem steep keep in mind between the powerful phone, and the Xperia Stream add-on, you are getting more power than an Xbox Series X, with 16GB of RAM in a small package, and a dock. So when you look at the benefits, it's worth the price. Plus the price will discount after the first 6 months like every other Sony phone so it could be $999 by then.

Now with that said, they didn't really show off any games that would benefit most from the 16GB of ram, but they did show games that took advantage of the 120fps and the 4KHDR screen, like the screenshot I posted above that showcases 60fps on a regular smartphone, and 120fps 4K HDR on the Xperia 1 IV gaming edition.

It sucks the output for the docked mode is 108-p, but you still have up to 102fps and that's better than the dock modes for other dockable gaming machines. You take what you can.

What would be a good move since Sony makes devices in similar sizes now, is to allow Xperia Stream to be used for the lower priced Xperias coming out too, the Xperia Stream when not bundled with the IV GE is only $160, so if they can have it be compatible with more of their phone output that could potentially raise awareness and more people may buy Sony phones. It will be an uphill battle though.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Dead on arrival.

Can't even buy these phones without Importing in Canada and they don't support all 5G bands. Nobody is buying this thing.

It's a shame too because after the last thread I've been considering the 1 IV for the video specs, and there's definitely a market for a PSP/Vita successor... but this is what they have spent their time on...😂

reinking

Gold Member
$1200 and no built-in gamepad?????? Who is this for?
I'm thinking about it. I was going to go with an iPhone 14 Pro but now this has my attention. Being able to dock it for monitor gaming is kind of a big deal for me. I am tired of using bluestacks when I want to mess around on my monitor.

Edit to add - I thought about the built-in game pad too. Then I started thnking, if it is docked I would use a controller anyway.

Last edited:
Anyone here the target audience for this? Pls explain why you are going to buy this phone, I don't get it.

Most people buy high-end Sony phones for te audio and the 4K HDR screen, this one as 120fps and 16GB of Ram on top of that.

Now I'm not really sure what the 16GB of ram is for, maybe there will be some PS Premium streaming available on mobile where that may be needed, but right now that seems a bit exceesive.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
E-sports most likely.

Makes sense too that it is only pre-order in Asia since mobile e-sports like MLBB is huge there. In my country, it’s the biggest game period.
This is my first thought. Warzone and Fortnite mobile is huge in the e-sport arena. Add Sony's rpg I think Japan that is a juggernaut and this is a no brianer e-sport phone.

Fbh

Imagine sitting in your expensive gaming chair with your expensive gaming headphones in front of your expensive double gaming monitor setup.....to play a shitty phone racing game lol.

what are these images about the 60 vs 120Hz difference

I think they are trying to show he the image looks less blurry in motion with 120hz.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I haven't compared the spreadsheet in detail but it seems nearly identical to the Xperia 1 MK IV with some exceptions. The steam add on seems to be the real selling point here. Can't you use the original 1 MK IV with it?

lachesis

So is this the new Vita? Funny, that I was just tinkering and fixing my broken Xperia phone (that I've not been using for years) now...

That attachment should've had actual buttons and analog sticks in the fashion of Dual Sense. :(

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"hey sir, here's the 3 ps5s you ordered, that will be 1200 dollars"

"you what's that on your counter?"

"the new playstation gaming phone"

"cancel my 3 ps5s, I'm bringing this bad boy home"

So....

Do we like mobile gaming now Gaf? 😏

Last edited:
So....

Do we like mobile gaming now Gaf? 😏
I don't know what to say man, everyone is just playing competitive Fortnite mobile now apparently. Even the anime avatars. We love Fortnite and streaming from our phones. I mean it seems fucking stupid and like we might as well be playing competitive Kinect for how much sense this makes but

Chukhopops

Is there any picture of the phone without the Frankenstein attachment? Not that I would put 1.2K in it but I’m curious if it even looks as good as an equivalent top-end phone.

Roxkis_ii

1200 for a gaming cellphone!?
Couldn't you build a nex gen gaming pc for that price?

You could almost buy two ps5 (depending on your country) for that price! For what, to play candy crush faster? Will you get better gotca pulls in Genshin impact? Do you get a discount in Diablo immoral?

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I don't know what to say man, everyone is just playing competitive Fortnite mobile now apparently. Even the anime avatars. We love Fortnite and streaming from our phones. I mean it seems fucking stupid and like we might as well be playing competitive Kinect for how much sense this makes but
That is like saying everyone that buys a "gaming" PC plays competitive games. I am far from a competitive player but I do play some games on my phone. I tend to buy a better specced phone because I keep it longer. I will be interested to see the official US price. If they keep it competitive with other high specced phones I might be interested.

tommib

Anyone here the target audience for this? Pls explain why you are going to buy this phone, I don't get it.
It’s for you, baby. Jim wants you to join the dark side, the blue pony side:
Dark Side Revenge Of The Fifth GIF

Dancing Pony GIF

Seriously, we saw recently how much Activision was doing on mobile. I’m sure there’s a lot of competitive mobile gamers willing to get a state-of-the-art phone. Android though… 💀.

Still designed for Android store games...What's the point? Is anyone really begging to play Android games output to their TV for a higher price than a decent PC? I really can't figure out who this is for......Even crazier that it doesn't have any kind of controller, so we are talking about Android on screen controls....

Last edited:
Solid phone, as always. Would probably make a pretty good GamePass machine LOL... but making solid phone's have never been Sony's issue.

Their biggest issue is the time from announcement to release. This releases pretty quickly after announcement, at least in Japan. When it'll release to the rest of the world, who knows... and that's why they own SO little of the smart phone market. Their share is actually pretty laughable, IDK why they don't just stop if they can't nail down their production pipeline.

Last edited:
Top Bottom