• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs. Nintendo vs. Microsoft First Party Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Pennywise

Banned
5MqDFjH.png

It's pretty impressive to see that when hard data and statistics put plain simple without any subjectiveness, you end up seeing that actually the first party output by all these is pretty much alike. We can see stuff like Sony and Microsoft not being too far apart from quality and quantity, despite the former being seen as quite above it.
Also, Nintendo, puts a lot of first party games (doubles the other 2 in the last 5 years), still manages to get its quality up there with the other two despite the obvious reason that the quality gets lower due to making way more games and spreading the scores more.
And other stuff, like seeing Xbox being stripped from the Game Pass and third party support view, goes pretty far into showing how absolutely abysmal 2022 was for the green ones.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That surprises me a little. If I had to rank them according to my personal taste, I would put Nintendo at the top, then Sony and last Microsoft. But they're all good, for slightly different reasons.

.Pennywise

Banned
It’s a bit weird not to show Fire Emblem Engage or Pokémon Scarlet in the Nintendo list.

Bethesda games should also be in the first party category at this point.
Absolutely missed that. Nintendo was a nightmare to list, they're the kings of re-releases.
Any reason why PSVR games have been left off? Astro Bot and Blood and Truth both came out in that time frame.
No VR nor mixed/augmented reality games were taken into account, only 'traditional' games.

Sony and Nintendo are King
MS has to do its Homework and release more first party games
Nintendo has more than double first party than the other 2. While Xbox and Sony have around the same amount aprox. (21, 22 or so)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Absolutely missed that. Nintendo was a nightmare to list, they're the kings of re-releases.

No VR nor mixed/augmented reality games were taken into account, only 'traditional' games.

Nintendo has more than double first party than the other 2. While Xbox and Sony have around the same amount aprox. (21, 22 or so)
is splatoon 3 on this chart?

I already did this. (even accounting for Actvision-Blizzard).

similar conclusion.

MS/Sony should have similar output quantity.sony could have ±2 games reaching 90+ Metacritic.

blacktout

Its definitely missing a bunch of Nintendo published titles. No Pokemon Snap, Ring Fit Adventure or any of the HD 2D titles either.
New Pokemon Snap is listed, but RingFit Adventure should definitely be added. I can see not including the HD 2D games though, as they were only published by Nintendo in the west and were later ported to other platforms.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Hard to keep track of all the games on that list, but Nintendo is King.

Nintendo develops twice as much as the other two combined, is the most diverse of all three, and still manages to keep the quality of each game high.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hard to keep track of all the games on that list, but Nintendo is King.

Nintendo develops twice as much as the other two combined, is the most diverse of all three, and still manages to keep the quality of each game high.

Among the top 50 best-selling video games on this list, over half were developed or published by Nintendo,
Back to the Oringal list by the OP, I like the fact all three make games and some good ones to boot so

Jimmy Fallon Win GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

fun is the real winner.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I'm just going to ask, what are we classing as first and third party? 🤨

As I'm seeing a lot of titles made by third party devs on the list.

& Numerous missing first party releases.

It seems like a poorly constructed list imo.
I don't know every dev in that list, but maybe it also counts if Sony/MS/Nintendo own the ip and hire 3rd party to do the work.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Then why include turds like Destruction All Stars and Medievil Remake, neither Sony first party and yet both dragging the PS average down?

Guess this list is what it is because OP is what it is.
Would still make sense if Sony owns the ip, but i don't know if they do.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Then why include turds like Destruction All Stars and Medievil Remake, neither Sony first party and yet both dragging the PS average down?

Guess this list is what it is because OP is what it is.
Same can be said for crackdown 3 courtesy of sumo digital.

There is a LOT of games in the list by third party Devs, like bayonetta 3, sushi striker, crackdown 3, Detroit, destruction all stars & more etc.

& Numerous missing first party titles.

I just think it is a very poorly constructed and researched list tbh.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Nintendo is emperor and has no competition
Sony and MS are competing against eachother and Sony is doing its Homework better than MS

Stuart360

I think people are judging MS for their low output post pandemic, at least in terms of big first party AAA games.
Xbox has held its own interms of the amount of games, but there is little doubt their AAA games have beenon the low amount the last couple of years, especially the last year.
We all know a lot of users on here only count AAA games when judging this stuff.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Same can be said for crackdown 3 courtesy of sumo digital.

There is a LOT of games in the list by third party Devs, like bayonetta 3, sushi striker, crackdown 3, Detroit, destruction all stars & more etc.

& Numerous missing first party titles.

I just think it is a very poorly constructed and researched list tbh.
Poorly constructed post from .Pennywise .Pennywise

I for one am shocked

5MqDFjH.png

It's pretty impressive to see that when hard data and statistics put plain simple without any subjectiveness, you end up seeing that actually the first party output by all these is pretty much alike. We can see stuff like Sony and Microsoft not being too far apart from quality and quantity, despite the former being seen as quite above it.
Also, Nintendo, puts a lot of first party games (doubles the other 2 in the last 5 years), still manages to get its quality up there with the other two despite the obvious reason that the quality gets lower due to making way more games and spreading the scores more.
And other stuff, like seeing Xbox being stripped from the Game Pass and third party support view, goes pretty far into showing how absolutely abysmal 2022 was for the green ones.

No one is complaining about Xbox's total output, it's what they are outputting

Using your chart. major AA and AAA games from Xbox released from 2019 to 2023 are,

Crackdown 3
Horizon 5
Horizon 4
Sea of Theives
HiFi Rush
Gears 5
Flight Simulator
Halo Infinite
Psychonauts 2 is debatable

Sony had
God of war reboot
God of War Ragnarok
Spider Man
Days Gone
Detroit
Spider Man Miles
Ghost of T
TLOU II
Ratchet Rift Apart
Returnal
GT7
Horizon Zero
Dreams
Demon Souls is debatable

Nintendo had
Pokemon Games
Fire Emblem 2019
The game next to Fire Emple 2019 on the right
The game at the bottom middle of the 2019 list
Paper Mario
Xenoblade remake
Super Smash Bros 5
Splatoon 3
Xenoblade 3
bayonetta 3
Hyrule Calamity
Fire Emblem Heroes
Luigis Mansion 2
Animal Crossing.

Across within a 6 year period, with some of those being decent to flops as well, that Xbox list is what people have been complaining about, especially the last 3 years for acquisitions. Sure the other games are nice but people want the system sellers which Xbox hasn't had too many of for some time, and we are seeing the results of that gradually.

Now perhaps this year without anymore delays (though Starfield being moved to near end of the year definitely threw some sour patch in peoples mouths) this should be the year that is finally fixed.

Codes 208

Nintendo > playstation >>>>>>>>>>>>> xbox

Which is unfortunate because if this were 360 era, I’d argue xbox’s output was insanely strong (halo and gears at their peak) but after the ps4 launched and we got games like GoW4 and bloodborne while xbox got…halo 5…it just isnt the same.

Nintendo is still a hit and miss with their IP’s and spinoffs with the switch lately, but when they hit…they hit fucking hard

mrmustard

Banned
No one is complaining about Xbox's total output, it's what they are outputting

Using your chart. major AA and AAA games from Xbox released from 2019 to 2023 are,

Crackdown 3
Horizon 5
Horizon 4
Sea of Theives
HiFi Rush
Gears 5
Flight Simulator
Halo Infinite
Psychonauts 2 is debatable

Sony had
God of war reboot
God of War Ragnarok
Spider Man
Days Gone
Detroit
Spider Man Miles
Ghost of T
TLOU II
Ratchet Rift Apart
Returnal
GT7
Horizon Zero
Dreams
Demon Souls is debatable

Nintendo had
Pokemon Games
Fire Emblem 2019
The game next to Fire Emple 2019 on the right
The game at the bottom middle of the 2019 list
Paper Mario
Xenoblade remake
Super Smash Bros 5
Splatoon 3
Xenoblade 3
bayonetta 3
Hyrule Calamity
Fire Emblem Heroes
Luigis Mansion 2
Animal Crossing.

Across within a 6 year period, with some of those being decent to flops as well, that Xbox list is what people have been complaining about, especially the last 3 years for acquisitions. Sure the other games are nice but people want the system sellers which Xbox hasn't had too many of for some time, and we are seeing the results of that gradually.

Now perhaps this year without anymore delays (though Starfield being moved to near end of the year definitely threw some sour patch in peoples mouths) this should be the year that is finally fixed.
You think Grounded is an Indie game then? That game deserves more love :messenger_grinning_squinting:

You think Grounded is an Indie game then? That game deserves more love :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Games below AA don't mean their Indie games, that's a separate category. Could just be a lower budget polished title, a small studio. maybe an experiment from a big publisher, a remaster/remake that's not over budgeted etc.

mrmustard

Banned
Games below AA don't mean their Indie games, that's a separate category. Could just be a lower budget polished title, a small studio. maybe an experiment from a big publisher, a remaster/remake that's not over budgeted etc.
I only know Indie, AA and AAA and there is no way Grounded is not at least AA. Great game by Obsidian Entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom