• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We have not cut PS VR 2 production numbers The platform holder refutes Bloomberg report

Three

I dont remember the exact numbers but he mentioned yield issues and said sony was going to end up undershipping. Sony might have hit those 7M but we know that they hit a wall soon after so its possible that his info was a bit outdated but Sony definitely didnt hit their numbers. They just conveniently blamed it on the pandemic.
His report was complete bullshit. Read the first line

"Sony Corp. has cut its estimated PlayStation 5 production for this fiscal year by 4 million units, down to around 11 million"
He blamed yield issues and aggressive xbox pricing.

That fiscal year ending March 2021.
Sony denied this bogus report.

The fact that Sony coincidentally ran into COVID supply issues in the next fiscal year to miss a different target doesn't make the initial report any less bullshit.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
His report was complete bullshit. Read the first line

"Sony Corp. has cut its estimated PlayStation 5 production for this fiscal year by 4 million units, down to around 11 million"
He blamed yield issues and aggressive xbox pricing.

That fiscal year ending March 2021.
Sony denied this bogus report.

The fact that Sony coincidentally ran into COVID supply issues in the next fiscal year to miss its target doesn't make the initial report any less bullshit.
Production. He didnt say anything about sales.

SlimySnake

Makes no sense still. Sales and production were not off by a year. They weren't even off by a month due to it being air frieghted and sold within hours in fiscal 2020.
Read the report again. He said they cut down production of these units to 11 million. they sold 7 million by March 2021. We know they didnt hit their targets of actually SELLING these consoles because it took them forever to hit 20 million.

We have talked about this several times. The pandemic affected supply issues but the chip shortage? Especially for these consoles that had started production well before the pandemic hit was and will always remain weird. Sony had contracts for COD going till 2025. FIVE years into the future. Why wouldnt they sign similar contracts for chips needed for their PS5s? i find it very hard that they were impacted by the chip shortage because they shouldve had the contract already signed and ready to go by 2019. Even if PS5s didnt begin assembly by spring 2020, the actual chips Bloomberg is talking about here shouldve been produced well before that.

Is this true? I think people are mixing up years. The guys information was completely off.

In early 2020 he said that PS5 is going to sell less than PS4 in the year ending March 2021, he was wrong. His insder info was apparently saying it will sell only 5-6M.

Then in September 2020 he said that Sony cut their 2020 fiscal year forcast (ending March 2021) from 14 to 11M due to yield issues. he was completely off. This was what Sony denied, they forcast 7M and reached 7.8M.

It was in fiscal 2021 where they didn't meet their targets due to a chip shortage. That had nothing to do with what Takashi was claiming.
Or it could be that at the time of the report, the information he had was true, insofar as with his sources who were giving him this information, he had no reason to think it wasn’t true. It’s not his job to know if it would turn out to be true in the future, and to not run a story because something that hasn’t happened yet *might not happen. Lol. That’s not how news reporting works.

Last edited:
Completely disagree. It's not a reporter's job to protect a big company so that they can have the perfect marketing cycle for their product. It's their job to report on a newsworthy story, if it's of public interest. Which, obviously this is. Their only social responsibility is making sure the story can be corroborated and they have solid sources, so that we're getting reliable information. Bloomberg is considered highly reliable. Sony, not wanting bad press in the news ahead of a launch that already doesn't have a lot of buzz, denying a report, is the least reliable in this situation. As they have no reason to confirm this report, as they have nothing to gain from it. So their best option is to ignore or deny. Which is exactly what they're doing.

I'm not saying a reporter's job is to protect a company or its product. In this specific case with Takashi, the problem is he has been wrong massively TWICE now. The first time WRT PS5 (he blamed yield issues and "aggressive Xbox pricing", neither of which ended up being the reason shipments reduced a little while later), and now he's wrong as to his reason here.

For all we know, Sony HAVE reduced forecasts and production numbers for PSVR2 but that could easily be due to costs for sourcing specific components, or reducing them internally in preparation for a potential economic recession. Takashi's specific reason was due to "slow preorder numbers" relating to VR and the high price. However, that is HIS speculation as to why, and it's probably the speculation in particular why it's been officially refuted.

It's not hard to see a common pattern with FUD surrounding Sony hardware when new ones are ready to release or milestones are hit. We JUST got through the "liquid metal fighting gravity" BS earlier this month; now close to PSVR2's release comes a "report" that production numbers are down SPECIFICALLY due to slow demand and the high price? It's a pattern at this point and in Takashi's case he got called out publicly (yet again).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Depends on who is writing the article. Just curious which Bloomberg articles did Microsoft debunk?

None that know of, but a debunking could easily be damage control. You don’t want word getting out that your new device is receiving a lukewarm reception. Especially in this day and age.

I’m just amused at the way people react to the articles.

I'm not saying a reporter's job is to protect a company or its product. In this specific case with Takashi, the problem is he has been wrong massively TWICE now. The first time WRT PS5 (he blamed yield issues and "aggressive Xbox pricing", neither of which ended up being the reason shipments reduced a little while later), and now he's wrong as to his reason here.

For all we know, Sony HAVE reduced forecasts and production numbers for PSVR2 but that could easily be due to costs for sourcing specific components, or reducing them internally in preparation for a potential economic recession. Takashi's specific reason was due to "slow preorder numbers" relating to VR and the high price. However, that is HIS speculation as to why, and it's probably the speculation in particular why it's been officially refuted.

It's not hard to see a common pattern with FUD surrounding Sony hardware when new ones are ready to release or milestones are hit. We JUST got through the "liquid metal fighting gravity" BS earlier this month; now close to PSVR2's release comes a "report" that production numbers are down SPECIFICALLY due to slow demand and the high price? It's a pattern at this point and in Takashi's case he got called out publicly (yet again).
Yeah, I mean, we'll see how the sales for this thing go when Sony reports on the numbers after the quarter ends. It's not like it's a super wild suggestion to say the pre-order numbers are low. The buzz around the games media is a lot of chatter about that exact topic. So if the sales are indeed way under Sony's targets (and based on what a lot of people are saying, very likely they will be), does he get exonerated, or is he just permanently black-balled in your eyes, and nothing he ever says ever again could possibly be true?

Last edited:

Three

Read the report again. He said they cut down production of these units to 11 million. they sold 7 million by March 2021. We know they didnt hit their targets of actually SELLING these consoles because it took them forever to hit 20 million.

What are you trying to say here? Are you saying PS5 wasn't selling in its first 2 launch quarters?

I read the report. He was saying Sony cut their production forcast for FY20 (ending March 2021) . This was completely false. Selling vs production has nothing to do with this. They weren't even that different anyway and they wouldn't have been out by a whole year. They didn't hit 20M because of the supply issue in FY21 which was irrelevant to the incorrect report.

We have talked about this several times. The pandemic affected supply issues but the chip shortage? Especially for these consoles that had started production well before the pandemic hit was and will always remain weird. Sony had contracts for COD going till 2025. FIVE years into the future. Why wouldnt they sign similar contracts for chips needed for their PS5s? i find it very hard that they were impacted by the chip shortage because they shouldve had the contract already signed and ready to go by 2019. Even if PS5s didnt begin assembly by spring 2020, the actual chips Bloomberg is talking about here shouldve been produced well before that.
Depends on how they thought prices would behave prior to COVID. You wouldn't want a long term one if you believed prices would become more competitive before. Long contracts or not the supply issue hit everyone and was unrelated to what was in the Bloomberg report and for a completely different period.

Last edited:
People in this thread trying to figure out a way to make Takashi right:

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Work Out Exercise GIF

Three

Or it could be that at the time of the report, the information he had was true, insofar as with his sources who were giving him this information, he had no reason to think it wasn’t true. It’s not his job to know if it would turn out to be true in the future, and to not run a story because something that hasn’t happened yet *might not happen. Lol. That’s not how news reporting works.
Huh? but it wasn't true.

It's like saying there is going to be a hurricane this week so baseball is cancelled. Baseball isn't cancelled that week but a year later a flood cancels baseball and you say I told you so, it was cancelled.

Last edited:
Sony's obviously not going to confirm the report. Clearly, PSVR 2 is not going to sell out of the gate like hotcakes. The buzz around the industry is people are just not super jazzed about the thing. Some people are, but for the majority of us, clearly it's not coming in out of the gate guns a'blazing. Whether they're going to admit it 3 weeks before launch... well, obviously they're going to do what a platform holder does, and spin everything in a positive light. Which is their right to do. But we'll see what the numbers are vs their targets, come April. Sony will have to report on the sales of PSVR 2 during the launch period, warts and all. And based on this thread, it looks like a lot of people will be eating crow.

Sony denied the report, saying they're not cutting production. But it's also probably not untrue that they're planning on cutting production once first week sales come in. Perhaps it is technically true that production hasn't officially yet been cut, but no doubt production will be cut in the near future.

Last edited:
None that know of, but a debunking could easily be damage control. You don’t want word getting out that your new device is receiving a lukewarm reception. Especially in this day and age.

I’m just amused at the way people react to the articles.

Well to be honest Sony can't lie to their shareholders. Usually when they say something it's to debunk something that might cause their stock prices to drop.

What buzz would that be?
Do you... listen to podcasts from people in the games media? IGN Game Scoop, Minnmax, etc? Lol. I'm not just pulling things out of my ass. The lack of excitement and buzz for PSVR 2 is pretty widespread. Clearly a lot of people here on GAF wish it wasn't so, but I'm just stating things as I hear them. I like PS just fine, but I do not feel the need to have a pro-PS bias. I call it like I see it

Last edited:

demigod

What are you trying to say here? Are you saying PS5 wasn't selling in its first 2 launch quarters?

I read the report. He was saying Sony cut their production forcast for F20 (ending March 2021) . This was completely false. Selling vs production has nothing to do with this. They weren't even that different anyway and they wouldn't have been out by a whole year. They didn't hit 20M because of the supply issue in FY21 which was irrelevant to the incorrect report.

Depends on how they thought prices would behave prior to COVID. You wouldn't want a long term one if you believed prices would become more competitive before. Contracts or not the supply issue hit everyone and was unrelated to what was in the Bloomberg report and for a completely different period.
SlimySnake SlimySnake you are mixing up 2020 fiscal year with 2021. Takashi is wrong in his reports. Sony’s forecast for 2020 fiscal year was 7mil, not 14mil.

You could also ask why car makers didn’t order enough chips knowing that they make cars yearly, lol.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
What buzz would that be?

Do you... listen to podcasts from people in the games media? IGN Game Scoop, Minnmax, etc? Lol. I'm not just pulling things out of my ass. The lack of excitement and buzz is pretty widespread. Clearly a lot of people here on GAF wish it wasn't so, but I'm just stating things as I hear them.

Edmund

I find it weird that there's a very high number of FUD regarding the PS5 this gen.

1) RDNA 1.5
2) Liquid Metal spilling all over when placed vertical
3) Austin Evans claim that newer revisions of PS5s run hotter.

And now this. I'm sure there's more FUDs out there but I can't remember all

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake you are mixing up 2020 fiscal year with 2021. Takashi is wrong in his reports. Sony’s forecast for 2020 fiscal year was 7mil, not 14mil.

You could also ask why car makers didn’t order enough chips knowing that they make cars yearly, lol.
Again, you are looking at Sonys SALES forecast which was 7 million. He is talking about the Production forecast. They are two different things. We know Sony sold every console they produced in FY 2020. We also know they struggled to produce enough consoles for FY 2021. They blamed it on the pandemic but I am saying they were impacted by the low yields well before coronavirus was a thing.

Yoboman

As soon as I saw "Sony", "Bloomberg" and "refuted" in the same sentence I had to check if this was another Takashi Mochizuki classic

Yep

Are talking about production or sales?
"(Bloomberg) -- Sony Group Corp. reduced projections for the initial launch of its PlayStation VR2 headset dramatically after early pre-orders disappointed, signaling little improvement for the hyped-but-unproven virtual reality sector.

The company halved its forecast for shipments of the PSVR2, which is set for a Feb. 22 release, this quarter to about a million units, said people familiar with its deliberations. Sony had previously aimed to have 2 million headsets ready for the launch quarter and leverage its second-generation headset to drive user growth and adoption for VR.

The Tokyo-based electronics giant has told a supply partner to expect reduced display panel orders, according to the people, who asked not to be named as the information is not public. The company now plans to ship around 1.5 million units between this April and March next year, they added, though that figure may be adjusted further in response to demand."

The buzz around the industry is people are just not super jazzed about the thing.

What? Almost everyone who has tried PSVR2 is excited for it.

Meet me here in this thread in April when Sony reports their quarterly results and talks about how the launch of PSVR 2 went. I'll put it in my calendar!

Great job deflecting and not answering the question.....

Whether they're going to admit it 3 weeks before launch... well, obviously they're going to do what a platform holder does, and spin everything in a positive light.

Explain how they are spinning this TOTALLY UNPROVEN article in a positive light..............I mean we would have to to have 100% proof that the article is true for it to be spin, so help me out here
schitts creek waiting GIF by CBC

But we'll see what the numbers are vs their targets, come April. Sony will have to report on the sales of PSVR 2 during the launch period, warts and all. And based on this thread, it looks like a lot of people will be eating crow.

I get that your entire vibe is that you want it to fail.......but under what conclusion do you have that people will eat crow? What is leading you to think that PSVR2 will underperform Sony's expectations?

Sony denied the report, saying they're not cutting production. But it's also probably not untrue that they're planning on cutting production once first week sales come in. Perhaps it is technically true that production hasn't officially yet been cut, but no doubt production will be cut in the near future.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Please explain how you know have many units are set for production in the "near future" and why they will have to cut that back.

Last edited:
"(Bloomberg) -- Sony Group Corp. reduced projections for the initial launch of its PlayStation VR2 headset dramatically after early pre-orders disappointed, signaling little improvement for the hyped-but-unproven virtual reality sector.

The company halved its forecast for shipments of the PSVR2, which is set for a Feb. 22 release, this quarter to about a million units, said people familiar with its deliberations. Sony had previously aimed to have 2 million headsets ready for the launch quarter and leverage its second-generation headset to drive user growth and adoption for VR.

The Tokyo-based electronics giant has told a supply partner to expect reduced display panel orders, according to the people, who asked not to be named as the information is not public. The company now plans to ship around 1.5 million units between this April and March next year, they added, though that figure may be adjusted further in response to demand."

OK so Sony is claiming BS on the production being cut.

Again, you are looking at Sonys SALES forecast which was 7 million. He is talking about the Production forecast. They are two different things. We know Sony sold every console they produced in FY 2020. We also know they struggled to produce enough consoles for FY 2021. They blamed it on the pandemic but I am saying they were impacted by the low yields well before coronavirus was a thing.
Yep. I remember seeing the same reporting back in 2020. It's not all COVID-related. Sony did indeed have issues with low yields in 2020 while they were working to have enough PS5s to meet early demand around launch and beyond. Yields were reportedly as low as 50%.

Crayon

Do you... listen to podcasts from people in the games media? IGN Game Scoop, Minnmax, etc? Lol. I'm not just pulling things out of my ass. The lack of excitement and buzz for PSVR 2 is pretty widespread. Clearly a lot of people here on GAF wish it wasn't so, but I'm just stating things as I hear them. I like PS just fine, but I do not feel the need to have a pro-PS bias. I call it like I see it

Everything coming out of vr outlets has been very positive. It's $550 and I'm more inclined to listen to people who are actually interested in vr at large because I'm looking at buying vr. We are talking about something that is going to do 10 million over like 5 years on the very high end. I'm not sure what anyone is supposed to take from anecdotes of ign podcasts.

demigod

How can production forecast be missed if they met their sales target? Are you telling me they planned to make 14mil consoles for FY2020 and only sold 7mil? lol ok. Bloomberg's report has nothing to do with FY2021, it was for FY2020.

So two podcasts nobody listens to?

If you read psvr2 impressions you will find tons of positive buzz from people that have actually played it

midnightAI

Yep. I remember seeing the same reporting back in 2020. It's not all COVID-related. Sony did indeed have issues with low yields in 2020 while they were working to have enough PS5s to meet early demand around launch and beyond. Yields were reportedly as low as 50%.
And who was it who reported that yields were as low as 50%?

SlimySnake

How can production forecast be missed if they met their sales target? Are you telling me they planned to make 14mil consoles for FY2020 and only sold 7mil? lol ok. Bloomberg's report has nothing to do with FY2021, it was for FY2020.
Because they met their sales target for FY March. The sales dropped off a cliff the next year. So any delay in production would surely impact the next year no?

What? Almost everyone who has tried PSVR2 is excited for it.

Great job deflecting and not answering the question.....

Explain how they are spinning this TOTALLY UNPROVEN article in a positive light..............I mean we would have to to have 100% proof that the article is true for it to be spin, so help me out here

I get that your entire vibe is that you want it to fail.......but under what conclusion do you have that people will eat crow? What is leading you to think that PSVR2 will underperform Sony's expectations?

Please explain how you know have many units are set for production in the "near future" and why they will have to cut that back.
1) I literally couldn't care less if PSVR 2 sells well or not. I just am baffled by so many people needing the report to not be true because of some odd attachment to a giant corporation. If you listen and read the buzz around the games media, the word is essentially that there isn't a whole lot of excitement for PSVR 2, and people really aren't expecting it to do very well. At least for now, until something changes.

2) I was literally quoting the Bloomberg article, as MasterConholio was asking if the report was talking specifically production or sales. So...I went to the original source (Bloomberg) and just quoted the information word-for-word.

3) The article isn't "totally unproven". It's reporting done by an *actual reporter*, who has sources that they vet and corroborate. And then give the story to their News editor, and then based on whether it's deemed newsworthy or not, is published. This wasn't published by some know-nothing YouTuber who needs the views and subscribes, but has no formal education in journalism.

4) I don't work for you, so why would you think I would need to "explain how I know how many units are set for production".

5) I have no "vibe", I just call it like I see it. And again, I am baffled by so many people needing the report to not be true because of some odd attachment to a giant corporation.

You can't "100% prove an article is true". The only people that know are Sony, and obviously they're not going to confirm they have internally cut back internal targets on PSVR 2 before the launch. The plan for launch is set in stone, it's 3 weeks out, there's no changing it. Their reaction to the launch will happen some time after the launch, and then I'm sure we'll have a thread about that.

1) I literally couldn't care less if PSVR 2 sells well or not. I just am baffled by so many people needing the report to not be true because of some odd attachment to a giant corporation. If you listen and read the buzz around the games media, the word is essentially that there isn't a whole lot of excitement for PSVR 2, and people really aren't expecting it to do very well. At least for now, until something changes.

2) I was literally quoting the Bloomberg article, as MasterConholio was asking if the report was talking specifically production or sales. So...I went to the original source (Bloomberg) and just quoted the information word-for-word.

3) The article isn't "totally unproven". It's reporting done by an *actual reporter*, who has sources that they vet and corroborate. And then give the story to their News editor, and then based on whether it's deemed newsworthy or not, is published. This wasn't published by some know-nothing YouTuber who needs the views and subscribes, but has no formal education in journalism.

4) I don't work for you, so why would you think I would need to "explain how I know how many units are set for production".

5) I have no "vibe", I just call it like I see it. And again, I am baffled by so many people needing the report to not be true because of some odd attachment to a giant corporation.

You can't "100% prove an article is true". The only people that know are Sony, and obviously they're not going to confirm they have internally cut back internal targets on PSVR 2 before the launch. The plan for launch is set in stone, it's 3 weeks out, there's no changing it. Their reaction to the launch will happen some time after the launch, and then I'm sure we'll have a thread about that.

You were spreading FUD about negative buzz or some such nonsense

Those that have played it are extremely excited

You were spreading FUD about negative buzz or some such nonsense

Those that have played it are extremely excited
I was doing absolutely nothing of the sort. And "those that have played it and are excited" means basically nothing in regards to sales. Not my opinion, just stating a fact.

So, feel free to meet me back here when Sony reports their results and PSVR 2 launch sales are released! Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

Why are you so desperate for a fake article to be true?

Last edited:
Top Bottom