• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We have not cut PS VR 2 production numbers The platform holder refutes Bloomberg report

Bloomberg or Sony, someone is telling a fib.

This is incredibly different from your original "2 million within 1 month or two" from before. lol

Eh, I said it will beat PSVR1's 8 month sales in like 1 week. I think that'll happen. Now, how much it sells in a few months? No clue. Maybe it doesn't reach 2M, it's still going to adopt way faster than the original

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Eh, I said it will beat PSVR1's 8 month sales in like 1 week. I think that'll happen. Now, how much it sells in a few months? No clue. Maybe it doesn't reach 2M, it's still going to adopt way faster than the original
What sales did PSVR1 sell in 8 months? I'm assuming you know since you picked an 8 month timeline.

According to this chart PSVR1 sold 920k units in about 5 months, and 2M over 14 months. So across 8 months, who knows maybe it sold 1.2M. The rest of the 2M sold as it hit Xmas 2017.

You think PSVR2 will sell over 1M units in week 1?

Wiki has this sales statement. It passed 1M in early June 2017. That's only 7.5 months as it launched Oct 13, 2016. That's close enough to 8 months, but the minimum is 1M.

Sales[edit]​

As of February 19, 2017, PlayStation VR had sold over 915,000 units. Andrew House, the President and Global CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), the company behind the PlayStation VR, stated that the sales of the VR were far beyond expectations.[44][45] On June 5, 2017, the number of PlayStation VR units sold had passed 1 million.[46] Sony announced that the PlayStation VR had sold over 2 million units and 12.2 million games on December 3, 2017.[47] Sony announced that PlayStation VR had sold-through more than 3 million units and 21.9 million games worldwide as of August 16, 2018,[48] with the PlayStation VR sold-through number increasing to 4.2 million as of March 3, 2019.[49] As of December 31, 2019, PlayStation VR has sold-through 5 million units.[50]

Last edited:
What sales did PSVR1 sell in 8 months? I'm assuming you know since you picked an 8 month timeline.

According to this chart PSVR1 sold 920k units in about 5 months, and 2M over 14 months. So across 8 months, who knows maybe it sold 1.2M. The rest of the 2M sold as it hit Xmas 2017.

You think PSVR2 will sell over 1M units in week 1?

Someone posted it earlier, I took them at their word. They could have been wrong though.

I think globally Sony should be able to sell 1M PSVR2s in a week or so.

Crayon

So lets get serious here with numbers.

So what would you consider.....

1. A flop
2. Sales Disappointment
3. Doing Okay
4. Successful
5. Flaming success

Put your estimated numbers on the table. I'll go first if you're scared.

1. Less than a million sold in the first fiscal year or
2. Less than 2 million sold in the first fiscal year
3. 2 million sold in the first fiscal year
4. 3 million sold in the first fiscal year
5. 4 million sold in the first fiscal year

This will scare some people off. I've tried asking.

I'm ready to define mine now. Double the adoption rate of the first one is a big deal, but that's only a delta of 5 million. I would imagine 50% more adoption would be a reasonable target. But then you are only talking about 2.5 million. Hard to peg.

Then you got to think of how the first one slowed down so much after 2 years. This one should pick up as time goes on because it's a lot more future proofed and in 2 years, it will still be great hardware and the library will have grown. So it might look like it's tracking with vr1 for the first two years and then walk away.

What games get announced? Alyx? Astrobot 2? Anything huge coming out of nowhere? Vr1 did not have much of that.

Can they drop the price? How much? When?

A lot to consider when you're just talking about a few million units either way. Vr makes a lot of sense for sony. I think they want a foothold in there for the long term. I'm going with 50% better attach rate than the first one. Less than that is no bueno. Above that is enough to press on.

yurinka

Oh, bollocks! Why do publishers do this. Refute corroborated reports like this, it's just silly.
Because the report is a complete lie and companies don't like to have people like Bloomberg spreading fake bad news and FUD about them based on lies.

Mochizuki is an embarassment whose lies have been publicly debunked by Sony and Nintendo multiple times. It's time to ban him as source and if I would be Bloomberg I'd fire him unless it's a Bloomberg policy to lie to spread fake bad news about Sony. Something it wouldn't be rare because Bloomberg doesn't only does this with Mochizuki.

Last edited:

Rudius

I'm well aware of all the Varjo's, Shiftall's, Pimax's
They seem impressive on paper, but I don't have them to see how they fare. Anyways, since Valve or Oculus stopped releasing games for PCVR, and if they did they would not be exclusive, they are all like monitors playing the same games, as long as they work properly.

Another aspect to consider is that if Sony were making the headset for the PC market they could have released it with the same specs at least a year before, if not more. It has been ready for a long time, but they waited a sufficient time for a release with good numbers and games.

Because the report is a complete lie and companies don't like to have people like Bloomberg spreading fake bad news and FUD about them based on lies.

Mochizuki is an embarassment whose lies have been publicly debunked by Sony and Nintendo multiple times. It's time to ban him as source and if I would be Bloomberg I'd fire him unless it's a Bloomberg policy to lie to spread fake bad news about Sony. Something it wouldn't be rare because Bloomberg doesn't only does this with Mochizuki.
Yep, if they wouldn't refute it, people will take it as a truth. The narrative will spread like fire since anything on social media does nowadays, and both ruin Sonys reputation and sales. That's why they unfortunately have to refute it. It's because of the world we live in nowadays where anyone can scream anything and everyone believes whatever they hear/read. Unfortunately modern people seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and just turned into "I just repeat to others what I read". There are lots of fun movies on youtube where you can see if someone actually asks those people a simple journalistic question their entire world falls apart.

Last edited:
Yep, if they wouldn't refute it, people will take it as a truth. The narrative will spread like fire since anything on social media does nowadays, and both ruin Sonys reputation and sales. That's why they unfortunately have to refute it. It's because of the world we live in nowadays where anyone can scream anything and everyone believes whatever they hear/read. Unfortunately modern people seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and just turned into "I just repeat to others what I read". There are lots of fun movies on youtube where you can see if someone actually asks those people a simple journalistic question their entire world falls apart.
so true. my generation is stupid as shit

yurinka

Yep, if they wouldn't refute it, people will take it as a truth.
Yes, it's a truth that every few weeks or months Bloomberg lies about Sony spreading fake news about them. And in this case just before a fiscal report trying to negatively affect the Sony stocks before they will post -again- record numbers (pretty likely to earn money with it).

A fiscal report that proves that Bloomberg was lying: Sony updated their estimates for the quarter and they will have the same SIE sales revenue that they estimated the last quarter but with an improvement in SIE operating income due to changes in currency exchange.

Eh, I said it will beat PSVR1's 8 month sales in like 1 week.

No you said it would sell out it's shipments within a month or two.

Also it would easily sell 10M lifetime.

And implied it would have a Kinect/Wii effect, and said 35 million was a possibility.

And said Sony wouldn't need casuals or the general audience to sell that much and could do it just with enthusiasts.

Unless he showed Bloomberg where he got his info from, and Bloomberg considered the original source legit, in that case Bloomberg wouldn't have any grounds to fire him even if he's wrong, unless they could prove he's seeking specific info for malicious purposes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out will GT7 sale PSVR2s or will PSVR2 help sell more GT7 copies....lol
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

yurinka

Unless he showed Bloomberg where he got his info from, and Bloomberg considered the original source legit, in that case Bloomberg wouldn't have any grounds to fire him even if he's wrong, unless they could prove he's seeking specific info for malicious purposes.
Nah. Bloomberg lied contless times and spreaded FUD regarding Sony, always being wrong against Sony, never in favor of Sony. Sony even debunked them publicly several times, and Bloomberg never corrected or removed these news, even when later Sony shown the receipts, like proving PS4 wasn't discontinued, or showing their SIE estimates for the current quarter. So obviously never even considered to fire them.

Bloomberg clearly lies and spreads FUD with malicious purposes, and seeing it's something they do always and never correct their articles when publicly debunked or proven wrong, seems more an editorial thing more than a personal thing from Mochizuki or Jason Shredder.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Also, it's not as if Sony would ever admit weak preorder sales.

"Yes, its true. Preorder sales for 'our product' are selling less than expected and therefore we are decreasing production output and sale expectations" 🙄

Who would this benefit if they said as much? Not saying that they are or aren't lying with their recent statement
In that case, they could just keep quite and pretend to ignore the report.

They chose not to, which shows they're confident and the report is absolutely wrong. Besides, this is 4th "report" by this journalist that Sony and Nintendo have refuted.

In that case, they could just keep quite and pretend to ignore the report.

They chose not to, which shows they're confident and the report is absolutely wrong. Besides, this is 4th "report" by this journalist that Sony and Nintendo have refuted.

Bloomberg is a huge news outlet for business/investing

They pretty much have to make a statement if it’s wrong

It also undermines these types of reports from happening in the future, people will trust Bloomberg’s source less

It looks bad for Bloomberg

Last edited:
Nah. Bloomberg lied contless times and spreaded FUD regarding Sony, always being wrong against Sony, never in favor of Sony. Sony even debunked them publicly several times, and Bloomberg never corrected or removed these news, even when later Sony shown the receipts, like proving PS4 wasn't discontinued, or showing their SIE estimates for the current quarter. So obviously never even considered to fire them.

Bloomberg clearly lies and spreads FUD with malicious purposes, and seeing it's something they do always and never correct their articles when publicly debunked or proven wrong, seems more an editorial thing more than a personal thing from Mochizuki or Jason Shredder.

Its pretty obvious at this point that this guy is trying to tank Sonys share price. I don't think its strange that Sony responds to protect their investors especially if the information isn't true. Now if it was true Sony can get sued by their investors which I haven't seen happen yet. Unlike the whole Cyberpunk situation for example.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So when Bloomberg said last year Sony was prepping 2M units, Sony said nothing.

But when Bloomberg says Sony is cutting it in half due to low demand, Sony says no.

Gotcha.

You make a good point. All of these companies are happy for bullshit to fly as long as it sounds good or looks better than the reality of the situation, but as soon as it sounds a little negative they are quick to rebute it.

Can you imagine if Sony was like...." no we are not making 2 million units, just a million for launch....that should cover it"

😆

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You make a good point. All of these companies are happy for bullshit to fly as long as it sounds good or looks better than the reality of the situation, but as soon as it sounds a little negative they are quick to rebute it.

Can you imagine if Sony was like...." no we are not making 2 million units, just a million for launch....that should cover it"

😆
Thats self serving marketing for ya.

Name one game or movie company, or even mom and pop food joint on Google Reviews saying the 5/5 and 10/10 ratings are a little too generous as their product isnt that good. Only thing you hear is either dead silence, or "Great! Thanks!"

But the second it gets a 2/5, you got the PR wizards responding trying to douse the flames or counter-argue they are lying.

yurinka

Its pretty obvious at this point that this guy is trying to tank Sonys share price. I don't think its strange that Sony responds to protect their investors especially if the information isn't true. Now if it was true Sony can get sued by their investors which I haven't seen happen yet. Unlike the whole Cyberpunk situation for example.
Yes, pretty likely. Also, notice that this article was posted a couple days before Sony shows their fiscal report with record numbers.

So probably what they wanted to do was to make Sony share price drop to buy cheap, and then sell it a few days later once the stock prices raised because of the good news.

Crayon

So when Bloomberg said last year Sony was prepping 2M units, Sony said nothing.

But when Bloomberg says Sony is cutting it in half due to low demand, Sony says no.

Gotcha.

Not sure what your point is here. I think it's supposed to be that those are the same kind of thing but they are not. Sony is refuting one because it looks very bad and is spreading like fire. The other is ubsubstantiated but neutral and did not get that kind of attention.

midnightAI

Not sure what your point is here. I think it's supposed to be that those are the same kind of thing but they are not. Sony is refuting one because it looks very bad and is spreading like fire. The other is ubsubstantiated but neutral and did not get that kind of attention.
Or, maybe the first article is correct but the second article is incorrect?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Someone posted it earlier, I took them at their word. They could have been wrong though.

I think globally Sony should be able to sell 1M PSVR2s in a week or so.

I was so shocked to hear that the kinect sold like 8 million units or something in 90 days.

I think psvr2 can easily do 1 mill in a month, 1 week might be pushing it but I'd love to be wrong.

Crayon

Or, maybe the first article is correct but the second article is incorrect?

That could be too but I don't think it woud make a difference. Sony doesn't seem that responsive to rumors. Being a month out from a launch with a big name saying there is something going so wrong that they've cut their expectations right in half is a standout.

Crayon

I was so shocked to hear that the kinect sold like 8 million units or something in 90 days.

I think psvr2 can easily do 1 mill in a month, 1 week might be pushing it but I'd love to be wrong.

Kinect was on Oprah. It was a legendary marketing blitz. My friends mom bought a 360 and kinect and she didn't even know what it was supposed to do.

The thing didn't even work right and if the vr2 launch lineup is weak then the kinect lifetime library was an absolute disaster in comparison.

10 Microsoft Kinect Games That Are Actually Good

Kinectamals
Fruit Ninja
Kinect adventures
Star wars kinect (rythm dance game??)
Disneyland adventures
etc etc

It was incredible how they sold so many. One of the worst console add-ons turned out to be the most succesful! Kind of undermines those of us saying psvr2 will do good just because it's a good product lol.

Kinect was on Oprah. It was a legendary marketing blitz. My friends mom bought a 360 and kinect and she didn't even know what it was supposed to do.

The thing didn't even work right and if the vr2 launch lineup is weak then the kinect lifetime library was an absolute disaster in comparison.

Kinectamals
Fruit Ninja
Kinect adventures
Disneyland adventures
etc etc

It was incredible how they sold so many. One of the worst console add-ons turned out to be the most succesful! Kind of undermines those of us saying psvr2 will do good just because it's a good product lol.
It was mainly popular with the just dance games. And to be honest, even until now it was the best way to play these games. But then again, that were about the only games that were fun with Kinect.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Kinectamals
Fruit Ninja
Kinect adventures
Disneyland adventures
etc etc

Wii was similar.

I knew tons of coworkers all in their 30s or more who look like they never played a video game in their life saying they bought one.

And I doubt they played it. Back then all us 360 or PS3 gamers would be talking COD, FIFA, NHL, Gears or GTA and seeing who’s around to play after dinner on their platform.

Zero Wii gamers ever joined in the gaming chat.

It’s like all they cared about was WIi Sports offline in their living room or Super Mario and that’s it.

Last edited:

Crayon

Wii was similar.

I knew tons of coworkers all in their 30s or more who look like they never played a video game in their life saying they bought one.

And I doubt they played it. Back then all us 360 or PS3 gamers would be talking COD, FIFA, NHL, Gears or GTA and seeing who’s around to play after dinner on their platform.

Zero Wii gamers ever joined in the gaming chat.

It’s like all they cared about was WIi Sports offline in their living room or Super Mario and that’s it.

It similar but at least wii sports was a legit killer and there were many great games for wii over it's lifetime, if not at launch. That same mome did buy a wii tho.

I brought that wii over the first christmas to show it to some family because I actually wanted to test the casual-ness. See, I had a vision of a one handed controller being the key to expanding the market for a very long time. Since the mid 90's. So I wanted to see my idea vindicated. These people practically ate the thing and it was enthralling a roomful all night. Idk if they would have stayed playing it but a bunch of them started calling after asking where the hell they can get one in the shortage.

Wii was legit even if many of it's fans were grandmmas. It actually worked and there was a good library. Kinect had basically those gaggle of dance games and was useless otherwise. On the other hand, it's not like they sold 100 million of them. But it blasted out of the gate, that's for sure.

Do you know how this article didn’t make any sense in the first place?I tell you, there are millions of Gran Turismo gamers who mostly buy and play Gran Turismo they even buy the console only for that game.After the glowing previews about PSVR 2 and how great Gran Turismo plays the device will sell millions only by the people who play mostly Gran Turismo the other people not included.PSVR will sell 2 times or maybe 3 times what PSVR 1 sold.Because the graphics immersion and games keep getting so much better that lots of gamers want to play in VR.Silent Hill in VR will be something different a new excitement.

midnightAI

That could be too but I don't think it woud make a difference. Sony doesn't seem that responsive to rumors. Being a month out from a launch with a big name saying there is something going so wrong that they've cut their expectations right in half is a standout.
Agreed, I don't think it will be too long before someone is sued over this kind of thing. Hiding behind 'my sources say' doesn't work very well when in court they would be forced to reveal their sources.

Bloomberg clearly lies and spreads FUD with malicious purposes,

No one can prove that, because whatever intention they have with picking their sources, the sources still have to have some backing and credibility in order to avoid being legally held accountable for being malicious.

yurinka

No one can prove that, because whatever intention they have with picking their sources, the sources still have to have some backing and credibility in order to avoid being legally held accountable for being malicious.
Here we have Mochizuki's source, soon will throw more fantasy news about Switch Pro and PS production cuts and issues:

stock-photo-close-up-of-a-man-s-ass-male-figure-after-a-diet-pumped-buttocks-in-boxer-shorts-1036544350.jpg

Top Bottom